Telekast-L tablet is an over-the-counter antihistamine that is used to treat allergy-induced coughing and sneezing. It is also used in the treatment of allergies caused by dust or pet animals. Telekast-L tablet also helps in treating other health conditions such as hay fever, inflammation of the nose, asthma, and bronchospasm caused while exercising.
|Composition||Levocetirizine and Montelukast|
|Uses||Asthma, inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose, sneezing and runny nose due to allergy, hay fever, and reddish itchy wheals.|
|Side Effects||Sleepiness, fatigue, dry mouth, sore throat, cough, inflammation of the pharynx.|
|Precautions||People with hypersensitivity, allergic reactions, pregnancy, and renal impairment should avoid this medicine.|
The medicine also helps to keep the symptoms associated with asthma in check. The medicine is manufactured in India by Lupin Limited.
Uses & Benefits of Telekast-L Tablet:
Telekast-L tablet is an antihistamine medication used to treat allergic conditions. Additionally, Telekast-L prevents, controls, and treats the following symptoms:
- Asthma – a health condition in which the airways become inflamed, narrow and swell to produce extra mucus, which makes it difficult to breathe.
- Perennial/seasonal allergic rhinitis – a health condition in which the mucous membrane in the nose gets inflamed due to seasonal allergies which continue throughout the year and give a sensation of persistent cold .
- Dust or pet allergies – body’s natural response to external stimulants such as dust mites which result in sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes etc.
- Chronic asthma – a chronic lung disease which causes inflammation and narrows the airways. Asthma causes recurring episodes of wheezing , chest tightness, shortness of breath, and coughing .
- Hay fever – an allergic response causing itchy, watery eyes, sneezing and other similar symptoms.
- Year-round allergies – occurs due to exposure to airborne diseases and tend to persist throughout the year. Inflammation of the mucous membrane in the nose
- Reddish itchy weals (red bumps on the surface of the skin) – Hives are raised, often itchy, red bumps (welts) on the surface of the skin. They may arise due to an allergic reaction to food or medicine.
- Swelling of the skin – this condition occurs when the skin gets swollen as a result of inflammation or a build-up of fluid. Swelling can occur internally, or it can affect the skin surface and muscles.
- Exercise-induced asthma – this condition involves narrowing of the airways in the lungs triggered by strenuous exercise. It causes shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing and other symptoms during or after exercise.
- Urticaria – this condition is also known as hives which is an outbreak of swollen, pale red bumps or plaques (wheals) on the skin that appear suddenly. Hives usually cause itching and a burning or stinging sensation.
Side Effects of Telekast-L Tablet:
Telekast-L tablet is primarily prescribed to treat allergic reactions and is known to cause very few side effects. Some of the possible side effects associated with administering Telekast- L are:
- Stomach pain
- Chest tightness
- Joint pain
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Pus in urine
- Skin rash
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Runny Nose
- Dry mouth
The medicine may also cause behavioral changes, irritability, and anxiety. It is also known to cause suicidal thoughts in some cases. It is important to consult the doctor in case any of the above-mentioned side effects persist for long.
Common Dosage of Telekast-L Tablet:
The general advisable dose of Telekast-L tablet prescribed by the doctor is dependent on the age, sex, medical history, and present health condition of the patient. It is important to inform the doctor about the general health condition, allergies, pregnancy, enlarged prostate, or kidney disease of the patient before he prescribes this medicine. The tablet must be swallowed whole and not broken, crushed, or chewed.
- Missed Dose : A missed dose of Telekast-L tablet must be taken as soon as it is remembered. If the missed dose is remembered when it is almost time for the next dose, then the missed dose should be skipped. It is advisable to take the next scheduled dose on time. One should not take an extra dose in order to make up for the missed dose.
- Overdose : In case an overdose is suspected, it is advised to seek immediate medical attention in order to avoid any adverse effects.
Composition and Nature of Telekast-L Tablet:
The following are the two main ingredients found in Telekast tablet:
- Levocetirizine (5mg) : It is an anti-allergic ingredient which blocks a chemical messenger (histamine) responsible for runny nose, watery eyes, and sneezing.
- Montelukast (10mg) : It is a Leukotriene antagonist which works by blocking another chemical messenger which reduces inflammation in the airways and nose and improves symptoms.
Precaution and Warning – When to Avoid Telekast-L Tablet?
There are some precautions and warnings that one must take into consideration when consuming Telekast L tablet. Some of these are:
- Alcohol: It is advised not to consume Telekast L tablet with alcohol as it may cause excessive calmness and sleepiness.
- Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women: Pregnant women are advised to consult with their doctor before using Telekast L tablet. However, studies have shown that it is safe to use since it does not have any adverse effects on the fetus. Breastfeeding females are advised to consult the doctor before starting the treatment of this medicine as it may affect the newborn baby.
- Patients with Kidney or Liver Related Diseases: Patients suffering from kidney or liver related diseases are advised to use this medicine with caution with proper dose adjustment. Those with severe renal diseases are recommended to not use this medicine.
- Asthma: Telekast-L tablet is not recommended for use by patients having an acute and severe attack of asthma. Telekast-L tablet should not be used to treat bronchospasm caused by medicine.
- Phenylketonuria: this is a condition of a birth defect that causes an amino acid called phenylalanine to build up in the body. This drug is advised to be used with caution in patients having Phenylketonuria as some components of this medicine may cause severe adverse effects in such patients. Report any unusual symptoms to the doctor immediately.
- Central Nervous System Depression: This medicine causes mild to moderate CNS depression resulting in sleepiness, difficulty in concentrating, etc. Activities requiring high mental alertness like driving or operating heavy machinery should be avoided in case such side effects are experienced during the treatment with this medicine.
- Elderly population: the medicine is advised to be used with extreme caution in elderly patients due to the increased risk of serious side effects. Appropriate dose adjustments may be necessary based on the clinical condition.
- Pediatric Population: the medicine is not recommended to be used in children younger than two years of age.
- Urinary Retention: This medicine should be used with caution in patients with spinal cord lesions or prostatic hyperplasia since it may increase the risk of urinary retention.
Substitutes for Telekast-L Tablet:
There are many other medicines which can be used in place of Telekast-L tablet. Some of these substitutes include:
- Montair LC tablet : Manufactured by Cipla Limited.
- Levocet M tablet: Manufactured by Hetero Drugs Limited.
- Montina-L tablet: Manufactured by Aristo Pharmaceuticals Private Limited.
- Xyzal-M tablet manufactured by Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories.
- Latch M tablet manufactured by Heramb Healthcare.
- Monvent LC tablet manufactured by Soltech Lifesciences.
- Levosiz-M tablet manufactured by Systopic Laboratories Pvt. Ltd.
- Odimont LC tablet manufactured by Zydus Cadilla.
Telekast-L Interactions with Other Drugs:
Telekast-L tablets should not be co-administered along with certain medications or administered by patients suffering from certain medical conditions. This is because it may cause severe medicine interactions and lead to the occurrence of severe side effects.
Interactions with Drugs
The following drugs are known to cause adverse interactions with Telekast-L Tablet:
Interactions with Diseases
Patients with the following health conditions are advised to avoid using Telekast-L tablet:
- Hypersensitivity to Levocetirizine and Montelukast
- Severe renal impairment
Interaction with Alcohol
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended during the course of Telekast-L tablets due to the increased risk of occurrence of side effects such as dizziness, light-headedness, and fainting.
Telekast-L Tablet Variant
The following are two variants of Telekast-L tablet:
- Telekast-L Kid Tablets
- Telekast-L Kid Syrup
Telekast-L Price in India:
|Telekast-L Tablet (Strip of 10 tablets)||INR 137.70/-|
How Telekast-L Tablet Works?
Telekast L tablet has two salts: Levocetirizine and Montelukast. They work together to treat symptoms associated with allergic reactions.
Montelukast is a leukotriene antagonist, which inhibits the action of leukotriene, a chemical messenger. By doing so, it reduces swelling or inflammation in the nose and airways, thus, treating the allergic symptoms.
Levocetirizine is a medicine bearing anti-allergic properties. It works by preventing the action of histamines, a chemical compound, which is known to cause allergic symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and watery and itchy eyes.
How to Use Telekast-L Tablet?
- It is advised to follow the directions as prescribed by the doctor.
- The medicine should be taken as a whole without breaking or crushing it.
- Absorption of this medicine is influenced by food and hence it is recommended to take the medicine with food to maximize absorption and efficacy.
When is Telekast-L Tablet Prescribed?
The medicine is an antihistamine drug that is primarily used to treat allergic conditions like Perennial or seasonal allergic rhinitis, dust or pet allergies, chronic asthma, hay fever, inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose, reddish itchy weals, exercise-induced asthma, etc.
Medicines that should not be taken with Telekast-L Tablet
The following medicines are advised not to be used with Telekast-L Tablet:
How to Store Telekast-L Tablet?
- It is advisable to store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from direct heat and sunlight.
- It is recommended to keep the medicine away from the reach of children and pets.
- The packaging of the medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
Ans: Telekast-L tablet is an antihistamine medicine that is generally used for treating allergies, asthma, inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose, sneezing, and runny nose due to allergy, hay fever, and reddish itchy wheals.
Ans: Telekast-L tablet may cause the following side effects in some cases:
Nausea or vomiting
Running nose and cough
Difficulty in passing urine
Ans: Telekast L tablet is known to cause sleepiness or dizziness in some cases. In case patients experience such symptoms, it is not advisable to drive or operate heavy machinery during the course of Telekast- L.
Ans: Telekast-L is known to cause severe sleepiness and lethargy and is thus generally advised to be taken at bedtime. However, the time suggested by the doctor by strictly be adhered to.
Ans: It is not advisable for patients suffering from liver-related ailments to administer Telekast L tablets. This is because it is known to cause severe side effects and worsen their medical condition.
Ans: Yes, the use of Telekast-L tablet may cause dry mouth. It is advised to drink plenty of water in order to stay hydrated and avoid the occurrence of such side effects.
Ans: Yes, drowsiness and sleepiness are the most common side effect associated with administering Telekast-L tablets. It is not recommended to drive, operate heavy machinery or engage in other activities that require mental alertness as the medicine is known to affect the functioning of the central nervous system.
Ans: No, it is advised not to take higher doses of the medicine than recommended by the doctor as it doesn’t take the medicine more effectively. Consuming higher than recommended doses of the medicine may cause drug toxicity or make the patient more susceptible to severe side effects caused due to overdosage.
Ans: Telekast –L being an antihistamine, is not known to give way to any health-related harm to the fetus. Although there have been no reported adverse effects of administering this drug, it is always advisable to consult a doctor before starting the course of any medicine.
Ans: Telekast-L tablet is generally deemed safe to be administered by breastfeeding women as it is not known to pass through the breast milk in a substantial amount and thus does not adversely affect the health of the nursing infant. However, it is important to consult the doctor for case-specific recommendations, before administering the medicine to avoid the occurrence of any unwanted side effects.