Syndopa Plus Tablet is manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. Primarily, this medicine is used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. Syndopa Plus is an amino acid that is administered for controlling the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease such as poor muscle control, tremors, stiffness, spasms, shivering, or cramping. Doctors can also prescribe the medicine for other uses not mentioned here.
Uses & Benefits of Syndopa Plus:
Syndopa Plus Tablet is used to treat Parkinson’s disease and its symptoms and certain conditions. It also helps in the control and improvement of certain symptoms. They are:
- Parkinson’s disease: Disorder of the central nervous system that affects movement, often including tremors. Symptoms of this disease can be controlled but it cannot be cured.
- Parkinson disease
- Poor muscle control in Parkinson’s disease
All these symptoms may be there as a result of Parkinson’s disease or they could be present in isolation. Consult your doctor to check if this medicine can be administered. Syndopa Plus Tablet may also be used for purposes not listed here.
Side Effects of Syndopa Plus:
Taking more than one medicine at a time, taking medicines with beverages or, taking certain medicines with other supplements or herbal products can cause side effects. Share with the doctor if you are already consuming any of these before taking Syndopa Plus. Like most medicines, Syndopa Plus Tablet also comes with side effects caused by its active ingredients. This is not an exhaustive list. These are the possible side effects; however, they may not always occur. Some of these side-effects may rarely occur but are serious. Contact your doctor if any of these side effects occur, especially if they persist.
- Uncontrolled movements of the body
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Back or leg pain
- Abnormal thinking
- Difficulty in urination
- Sleep problems (Insomnia)
- Dryness of mouth
- Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Other side-effects not listed here might also be observed. In that case, consult your doctor for advice. You may also report side effects to your local food and drug administration authority if they persist.
Common Dosages of Syndopa Plus:
The dosage and duration prescribed by the doctor should be followed without any failure. Dosage is based on your condition. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. Syndopa Plus Tablet must be swallowed as a whole. This tablet should not be chewed or crushed, nor should it be broken. This drug can be taken either with food or without food. It should be taken at a fixed time. Avoid Syndopa Plus Tablet with high protein meals such as cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, protein powder, eggs, and milk. In case you miss a dosage, take it as soon as you remember. If, however, the timing is close to your next dosage, skip the dosage that you forgot to take. Do not overdose on the drug.
Composition and Nature of Syndopa Plus:
Below mentioned are the active ingredients that together form the composition of Syndopa plus:
- Levodopa – 100 MG
- Carbidopa – 25 MG
However, this medicine may be available in various strengths for each active ingredient listed above.
How Does Syndopa Works?
Syndopa Plus Tablet works by increasing the dopamine in the brain for proper brain functioning and allowing more levodopa to enter the brain. The combination of two ingredients Levodopa and Carbidopa work in sync with each other to boost their mutual effect in treating Parkinsonism. Levodopa, a dopamine precursor gets converted to dopamine, which is a chemical messenger required to control movement in the brain. Carbidopa, known to be a peripheral decarboxylase inhibitor prevents the instant breakdown of levodopa allowing it to enter the brain and increase dopamine levels.
Precautions and Warning – When to avoid It?
- Alcohol : If taken with alcohol, Syndopa Plus Tablet can cause excessive drowsiness with alcohol. It also increases your reaction time. It causes excessive calmness. It is better to avoid taking it with alcohol.
- Pregnancy : Animal studies have shown that this tablet has chances to cause adverse effects on the foetus. However, there is not much data available with respect to human studies in this context. As Syndopa Plus Tablet might prove to be unsafe during pregnancy, it’s better to discuss the whole case with your doctor and let him take a decision after weighing risks and benefits related to the underlying condition and consumption of this medicine. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk.
- Lactation : Syndopa Plus Tablet is probably safe to use during lactation. There is not much data related to human studies on this, but whatever limited facts we have, they suggest that this medicine does not pose a significant threat to the growth of the baby. In some cases, partial or complete suppression of breast milk was seen on taking this medicine, but lactation returned to normal levels when the treatment was stopped.
- Driving and use of heavy machinery : Side effects of Syndopa Plus Tablet include dizziness and double vision, which may increase or negatively affect your reaction time. This can hamper the ability to drive. It is better to avoid driving. The decision can be taken on the basis of the medical condition of the patient and the side effects the patient is facing. Use of heavy machinery should also be avoided, if you are taking this medicine, to avoid accidents.
- Kidney : Syndopa Plus Tablet is most probably safe for patients with kidney disease. However, there is not much data available on this. The doctor would be best to judge whether the consumption of this drug would be safe in case of certain patients having kidney problems. In case you have severe kidney problems, disclose it to the doctor for sure. Doctors can adjust the dose if required.
- Liver : This tablet should be used with great caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment might be required in these cases. In case of severe liver problems, the doctor should be totally aware of the severity of the medical condition. In such cases, necessary test reports should be shared with the doctor, if required, before this medicine is prescribed.
Substitutes for Syndopa Plus:
There are certain other medicines that come with the same composition of active ingredients and the same effect. Below mentioned are the names of substitutes for Syndopa Plus:
- Tidomet Plus Tablet manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- LCD 100mg/25mg Tablet manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd