Spasmonil is an anti-spasmodic drug used for the treatment of abdominal discomfort and pain caused due to dysmenorrhea, biliary colic, renal colic, and intestinal colic. It is mainly used to treat symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome. It is also used to relieve mild pain associated with toothache, menstrual cramps, arthritis, muscle pain, and headache. It is manufactured by Cipla Limited.
|Composition:||Dicyclomine (20 mg) and Paracetamol (500 mg)|
|Side effects:||Dryness in mouth, Nausea, Blurred vision, Sleepiness, Weakness, Nervousness|
|Precautions:||Patients suffering from liver or kidney-related ailments|
Uses & Benefits of Spasmonil:
This medicine has several uses:
- Spasmonil is used to treat abdominal discomfort, which is caused due to biliary colic, dysmenorrhea, osteoarthritis, intestinal colic, and renal colic.
- Spasmonil is also used for the treatment of pain associated with mild headaches, toothache, lower back pain, menstrual cramps, renal colic, arthritis, and biliary colic.
- Spasmonil is used by patients suffering from Arthralgia
- Spasmonil aids in treating musculoskeletal pain and muscle spasms in the body. Muscular strains are also relieved by administering this medicine.
- This medicine is also used as a temporary treatment for fever. This medicine helps in bringing the body temperature down without accessing the underlying cause behind the fever.
Side Effects of Spasmonil:
Spasmonil is generally deemed safe for use but may cause certain undesirable side effects in some cases. Some of the commonly occurring side effects are listed below:
- Skin Rash
- Gastric ulcer
- Abdominal Pain
- Unusual lethargy and tiredness
- Mouth Ulcer
- Itching, increased sweating
- Increased blood pressure
- Bloody urine
- Drowsiness and Visual Disturbances
In case the patient experiences severe or prolonged side effects post administering Spasmonil, consult a doctor immediately to seek remedial action.
Common Dosage of Spasmonil:
The dosage of the medicine is decided by the doctor based on the age, medical condition, and medical history of the patient. Thus, Spasmonil should be taken in accordance with the exact dosage and duration prescribed by the doctor. Take the medicine after having food for maximum efficacy. The tablet must be administered whole, without crushing, breaking, or chewing it.
- Missed Dose: In case the patient has missed a dose of Spasmonil tablet, it must be taken as soon as it is remembered. In case it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, it is instruct to skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the prescribed time. Under no circumstance should a double dose of the medicine be taken as it may lead to severe side effects.
- Over Dosage: In case of a suspected overdose, it is essential to report the same to the prescribing doctor, especially on experiencing any side effects; to seek immediate remedial action. Commonly occurring side effects associated with an overdose of Spasmonil are confusion, extreme lethargy, lightheadedness, and dizziness.
Composition and Nature of Spasmonil:
Spasmonil consists of two major ingredients; 20 mg of Dicyclomine and 500 mg of Paracetamol. Both these ingredients bear anti-spasmodic properties. It is an antispasmodic that is used to treat symptoms associated with moderate pain in various parts of the body and abdominal discomfort.
How to use Spasmonil?
Spasmonil tablets should be swallowed whole with water. It is not instructed to administer the medicine on an empty stomach as it leads to reduced efficacy and absorption of the medicine. It is not recommended to crush, break or chew the tablet. Spasmonil tablets are generally instructed to be taken after having a meal for maximum efficacy and adequate absorption of the medicine.
How does Spasmonil Tablet work?
Spasmonil contains two primary ingredients: Dicyclomine and Paracetamol, both of which are anti-spasmodic drugs.
Dicyclomine is mainly used to help in treating spasms, pain, and discomfort in the abdomen region while Paracetamol bears antipyretic and antispasmodic properties.
Dicyclomine works by providing relief from abdominal discomfort by slowing down the movement of the gut and the intestine.
Paracetamol, on the other hand, works by bringing down the body temperature and relieving moderate pain associated with conditions such as toothache, lower back pain, headache, arthritis pain and stiffness in the joints.
The two medicines work together to relieve muscle spasms, pain, and fever in the body.
When is Spasmonil prescribed?
Spasmonil is generally prescribed to treat symptoms associated with the following conditions-
- Moderate Fever
- Abdominal discomfort
- Intestinal spasms and cramping
- Menstrual cramps
- Herniated disc
- Muscular spasms, pain, muscular strains
- Joint pain
Precautions and Warning – When to avoid Spasmonil?
- It is suggested not to consume alcohol while administering Spasmonil. This is because consuming alcohol may cause adverse effects such as dizziness, fainting, headaches, or change in the heart rate. Spasmonil is already known to cause dizziness in some cases. Administering alcohol along with this medicine may cause excessive lethargy and drowsiness.
- Pregnant women are recommended against the use of this medicine as it may cause harm to the developing fetus. The medicine must only be administered if it is deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor and the benefits outweigh the risks associated with its consumption.
- Patients suffering from kidney related ailments are recommended to exercise caution while administering this medicine. The medicine must only be administered post consultation from a doctor. Regular monitoring of the kidney function may be advised by the doctor in such cases.
- Patients suffering from severe liver-related ailments are recommended against the use of Spasmonil. If prescribed by a doctor, the medicine can be administered by strictly adhering to the dosage instructions.
- The probability of occurrence of side effects in elderly patients is higher; medicine should be used with extreme caution in such cases.
- Spasmonil is known to pass through the breast milk in a substantial quantity and may adversely affect the health of the nursing infant. Thus, it is not advisable for lactating females to administer this medicine.
- Spasmonil is not recommended to be administered to children.
Substitutes for Spasmonil:
|Mefnum Spas 10 mg/250 mg Tablet||Mefkind-Spas Tablet|
|Speedex-Spas Tablet||Mef Proxyvon 10 mg/250 mg Tablet|
|Meftal-Spas Tablet||Dysmen Tablet|
|Spascrush M 10 mg/250 mg Tablet||Cyclopam MF 10mg/250mg Tablet|
|Spaslin M 10 mg/250 mg Tablet||Trigan D Tablet|
|Colispas 10 mg/250 mg Tablet||Sumo L Spas Tablet|
|Spasmofirst Tablet||Nt Spas Tablet|
|Spaswin 10mg/250mg Tablet||Pipcol 20 Mg/325 Mg Tablet|
|Intaspas Tablet||Spasfiz 20mg/325mg Tablet|
|ZE Spas 10 mg/250 mg Tablet||Colicure 20 mg/325 mg Tablet|
Spasmonil Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
This medicine may interact with certain products, drugs, or medical conditions and cause adverse side effects.
When administering Spasmonil, there are no specific food items that need to be avoided. A doctor must be consulted to advise whether or not any food restrictions are to be adhered to.
It is recommended to not consume alcohol while administering Spasmonil tablets as it may cause dizziness, headache, and excessive drowsiness in some cases.
The medicine is already known to cause dizziness and lightheadedness in patients. Administering alcohol along with it may intensify these side effects.
Interaction with disease:
Patients suffering from the following medical conditions are recommended against the use of Spasmonil tablets as it may lead to health complications-
- Kidney related disorders
- High blood pressure
- Liver-related ailments
- Thyroid disorders
Interaction with medicines:
It is not recommended to co-administer the following medicines along with Spasmonil tablets as it may result in severe drug interactions-
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEI’s)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Variants of Spasmonil:
Spasmonil is available in 4 major variants having a similar chemical composition in varying amounts. They are-
- Spasmonil Plus Tablet- It contains Dicyclomine (10mg) + Mefenamic Acid (250mg).
- Spasmonil 10 mg Tablet- It contains Dicyclomine (10mg)
- Spasmonil Drop- It contains Dicyclomine (10mg) + Dimethicone (40mg)
- Spasmonil Forte Tablet- It contains Mefenamic Acid (500mg) + Paracetamol / Acetaminophen (450mg)
Medicines that should not be taken with Spasmonil tablet:
Some medicine, when administered along with Spasmonil tablet, may cause the occurrence of severe side effects. Some of these medicines are-
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEI’s)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Spasmonil Price in India:
|Name of the medicine||Price (Quantity)|
|Spasmonil||INR 22 ( 10 Tablets)|
How to Store It?
- Spasmonil must be stored away from direct heat and sunlight.
- It must be stored in a cool and dry place.
- It must ideally be stored below 25°C
- It must be kept out of reach of children and pets
- The packaging of the medicine must not be tampered with in order to maintain its efficacy on consumption.
Ans: Spasmonil is known to cause symptoms such as drowsiness, lightheadedness, dizziness, or headaches in a few cases. As such it may not be safe to drive after using Spasmonil.
Ans: This tablet is not known to cause any harm to the nursing infant as it does not pass through the breast milk in large amounts. However, it is best to consult with a doctor before starting the dose of medicine for case-specific recommendations.
Ans: It is not advisable for patients suffering from obstructive uropathy to administer Spasmonil as it may cause an occurrence of severe side effects. It is recommended to consult a doctor who is fully aware of the patient’s medical condition before taking any medicines in order to avoid the occurrence of adverse effects due to administration.
Ans: The medicine is not deemed safe for use by pregnant females as it is known to cause an adverse effect on the developing fetus. A doctor must be consulted before starting a dose of this medicine for case-specific recommendations and appropriate dosage instructions.
Ans: No, Spasmonil is not known to be addictive in nature. All addictive drugs in India are classified under schedule X or H. It is suggested to read the packaging label of the drug carefully for all the related information.
Ans: No, it is not advisable to abruptly stop or alter the dosage of the medicine even if an improvement in the condition is noted. A doctor must be consulted before making any changes to the prescribed dosage instructions in order to avoid the occurrence of any side effects. It is generally suggested to complete the prescribed course of the doctor
Ans: Although it is always recommended to check the expiry date of the medicine before administering it, a single expired dose may not cause any serious side effects. It must be noted that the efficacy of the drug may be hampered as an expired dose will not be as effective in treating the symptoms as well as the unexpired dose. In case of experiencing any side effects, a doctor must be consulted immediately to seek remedial action.
Ans: It generally takes the missed dose as soon as it is remembered. In case it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, it is recommended to administer the next dose and miss the skipped dose. Under no circumstance should a double dose be taken to compensate for the missed dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or other side effects.
Ans: In case of a suspected overdose, Consult a doctor to seek remedial action. The commonly associated side effects of overdosing on Spasmonil are confusion, lightheadedness, dizziness, and extreme lethargy. In case such symptoms are being experienced, a doctor must be consulted immediately.
Ans: The generally prescribed dosage instructed by the doctor is one tablet per day. The dosage of the medicine may vary from person to person as it depends on the health condition, age, and BMI of the patient. Thus, a doctor must be consulted for appropriate dosage instructions.
Ans: The time of onset of action is generally noted to be 30-60 minutes. The patients generally experience an improvement in their condition within an hour of oral administration.
Ans: It is common to administer the medicine after having a meal for maximum efficacy. For case-specific recommendations, Consult a doctor before starting the dose of the medicine.
Ans: No, Spasmonil Tablet is a prescription-only medicine that is only available after getting a prescription from a doctor. It cannot be purchased Over the Counter without getting a doctor’s prescription.
Ans: Spasmonil Tablet is generally used to treat pain and spasms in various body parts caused due to toothache, muscle ache, abdominal discomfort, and backache.
Ans: The common side effects associated with Spasmonil Tablet are gastric ulcers, skin rashes, irregular heartbeat, dizziness, vomiting, nausea, dry mouth, increased sweating, heightened blood pressure, and weakness.
Ans: Spasmonil Tablet is generally used to treat abdominal pain and discomfort caused due to improper movement of food through the gut. Menstrual pain, lower backache, toothache, muscle strain, and spasms can also be relieved, treated, or prevented by the use of Spasmonil Tablet.
Ans: Antidepressants are not recommended to be administered along with Spasmonil as they are known to cause severe side effects when co-administered. A doctor must be consulted for advice before starting the dose of any medicine to avoid the occurrence of side effects arising out of medication interactions.
Ans: Yes, dehydration is a very common side effect associated with the use of Spasmonil. It is recommended to stay hydrated to avoid dehydration.
Ans: It is advised to stop the consumption of alcohol during the course of Spasmonil. This is because consuming alcohol while administering the medicine may cause adverse side effects such as weakness, drowsiness, dizziness, fainting, headaches, or changes in the heart rate.
Spasmonil is not recommended to be administered to children.
Patients suffering from severe liver-related ailments must exercise caution while administering Spasmonil.
Patients suffering from kidney-related ailments are not advised to administer this medicine. The medicine must only be administered post consultation from a doctor. Regular monitoring of the kidney function may be instructed by the doctor in such cases.
Pregnant women are not to use this medicine as it may cause pose a health-related threat to the developing fetus. The medicine must only be administered if it is deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor and if the benefits outweigh the risks.
Spasmonil is known to pass through breast milk in large amounts. Thus, lactating females are advised to exercise extreme caution while taking the medicine.
Elderly patients should exercise extreme caution while using the medicine as the probability of occurrence of side effects in such patients is higher.
The medicine should be stored away from direct sunlight and heat.
It should be stored in a dry and cool place.
The ideal temperature for storing the medicine is 15°- 30° C
The medicine should be kept out of reach of pets and children
The packaging of the medicine must not be tampered with in order to maintain its efficacy on consumption.
Ans: Yes, Dry mouth is a very commonly occurring side-effect associated with administering Spasmonil. In order to prevent this condition, it is generally to stay hydrated and avoid drinking alcohol during the course of this medicine.
Ans: No, it is an anti-spasmodic medicine that is used to relieve moderate pain and discomfort in the body. It cannot be administered to treat mental disorders and seizures.
Ans: The effect of a single dose of Spasmonil is known to last for an average of 4 to 6 hours in the body.
Ans: Patients suffering from or having a history of asthma, Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, and bleeding disorders are not advised to use the medicine. Patients undergoing treatment for kidney and liver-related ailments are always advised against the use of this tablet. The medicine should also not be administered by patients with a known hypersensitivity towards Dicyclomine and/or paracetamol.
Ans: It is not instructed to administer the medicine first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, as it leads to reduced efficacy and absorption of the medicine.