Sompraz D 40 Capsule belongs to a class of drugs known as dopamine antagonists. The medicine is usually prescribed for the prevention of nausea and vomiting caused by gastric motility disorders. The medicine reduces acid production in the stomach and helps to treat stomach ulcers. The medicine also helps to empty the stomach thereby preventing vomiting and nausea caused by Parkinson’s disease. Sompraz D 40 capsules are manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
|Nature of Sompraz D:||Dopamine antagonist|
|Composition of Sompraz D:||Domperidone, Esomeprazole|
|Uses of Sompraz D:||Gastroesophageal reflux disease and associated symptoms, diabetic or idiopathic gastroparesis, Gastric ulcers|
|Side-effects of Sompraz D:||stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, constipation|
|Precautions of Sompraz D:||Cardiac arrhythmia, liver, and kidney-related ailments|
Uses & Benefits of Sompraz D:
The medicine may be prescribed for the treatment and prevention of the following diseases and conditions –
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease and associated symptoms
- diabetic or idiopathic gastroparesis
- Gastric ulcers
- Heavy bloating and Belching
- Helicobacter pylori infection
- Peptic ulcer
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
Read More: Mala D Uses | Meganeuron OD Uses
Side effects of Sompraz D:
Some of the side effects associated with the consumption of Sompraz D 40 capsules are –
If the patient experiences side effects for a prolonged period, he/she must consult a doctor immediately to seek remedial action.
Read More: Looz 10 Side Effects | Libotryp Side Effects
Common Dosage of Sompraz D:
The generally prescribed dose of Sompraz D 40 capsules for adults is 10 mg per day. The dosage may be altered depending upon the severity of the condition, age, and medical history of the patient.
- Missed Dose : If a patient misses a dose of Sompraz D 40 capsules, it must be taken as soon as the patient remembers it. However, if it is almost the time to consume the next dose, the missed dose must be skipped. Patients are advised not to consume two doses to compensate for the missed dose.
- Overdose : Administering more than the prescribed dose of the medicine, may lead to severe side effects and affect the health of a person. If an overdose is suspected, the patient must visit a doctor immediately to seek remedial action.
Read More: Cital Dosages | Mecobalamin Dosages
Composition and Nature of Sompraz D:
Sompraz D 40 Capsules belong to a class of drugs known as dopamine antagonists. The two main ingredients of the medicine are Domperidone and Esomeprazole.
Domperidone is a dopamine antagonist which speeds up the gastrointestinal peristalsis and causes prolactin release.
Esomeprazole works by inhibiting gastric secretion by inhibiting the activity of H+/K+-ATPase in the gastric parietal cells.
Read More: Elocon Composition | Accu Chek Composition
How to use?
- The capsules must be administered orally.
- The medicine must be consumed 15-20 minutes prior to having a meal.
- The capsules must not be chewed, crushed or broken before consumption.
How Sompraz D 40 Capsule works?
Sompraz D simply works by blocking the dopamine receptors and decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Individual mechanism –
- Domperidone – Domperidone is a prokinetic drug. The medicine works by facilitating and improving the peristalsis movement of the stomach. The medicine provides relief from nausea by blocking D2 receptors present in the chemoreceptor trigger zone.
- Esomeprazole – Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It acts by decreasing the amount of acid being produced in the stomach. It helps by relieving acid-related indigestion and heartburn.
When Sompraz D is prescribed?
The medicine is usually prescribed to reduce nausea and vomiting which may be caused due to digestive system disorders or chemotherapy. The medicine is also prescribed for the treatment and prevention of gastric motility disorders.
Precautions and Warning – When to avoid Sompraz D 40 Capsule?
Following are the warnings and precautions that must be adhered to while administering the medicine –
- It is advised to stop the consumption of alcohol during the course of Sompraz D capsules. This is because consuming alcohol while administering the medicine may cause adverse side effects and reduce the efficacy of the medicine.
- Patients suffering from severe liver-related ailments must exercise caution while administering Sompraz D capsules.
- Patients suffering from kidney related ailments are not advised to administer this medicine. The medicine must only be administered post consultation from a doctor. Regular monitoring of the kidney function may be advised by the doctor in such cases.
- Pregnant women are not advised to use this medicine as it may cause pose a health-related threat to the developing fetus. The medicine must only be administered if it is deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor and if the benefits outweigh the risks.
- Patients suffering from cardiac arrhythmia must exercise extra caution while administering medicine.
- The medicine must not be administered to children.
Substitutes for Sompraz D:
Following are the substitutes of Sompraz D 40 capsules –
- Nexpro RD 40 Capsule manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Esoz D 40 Capsule SR manufactured by Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Raciper D 40 Capsule SR manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Esofag-D Capsule SR manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd
- Esomac D 40 Capsule manufactured by Cipla Ltd
- Esogress-D Capsule SR manufactured by La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Izra- D40 Capsule SR manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Esofine DSR Capsule manufactured by Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Es-omepraz -DSR Capsule manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Ranidom D 30 mg/40 mg Capsule SR manufactured by Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Lupisoz-D Capsule SR manufactured by Lupin Ltd
- Yees-D Capsule SR manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Esokem-D Capsule SR manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Esopel-D Capsule SR manufactured by Medo Pharma
- Esomefol-DSR Capsule manufactured by Leeford Healthcare Ltd
- Esium D Capsule SR manufactured by Tas Med India Pvt Ltd
- Esomzole -DSR Capsule manufactured by Radicool Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd
- Zussanil-DSR Capsule manufactured by Vanprom Lifesciences Pvt Ltd
- Esvoz D Capsule SR manufactured by Vasu Organics Pvt Ltd
- Eprazole-DSR Capsule manufactured by Strenuous Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Esopra- D Capsule manufactured by Fitwel Pharmaceuticals Private Limited
- Somtax-DSR Capsule manufactured by Inolife Healthcare
- Pelit-DSR Capsule manufactured by Adonis Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Esomecid D SR Capsule manufactured by Stallion Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Esovom-DSR Capsule manufactured by Mars Aventis LifecareMedicine Variants (mention all variants, including sub-variants)
Read More: Deriva CMS Substitutes | Diane 35 Substitutes
Sompraz D Interactions with Other Drugs:
Interaction with medicine –
The medicine is known to interact with the following drugs –
Interaction with diseases –
- Osteoporosis- Suitable adjustments must be made in the dosage of the medicine for the people who might be at a risk of developing or those who are suffering from osteoporosis.
- Hypomagnesemia- The medicine may not be safe to be administered by people suffering from an imbalance in magnesium levels. The medicine may worsen the patient’s condition and lead to severe side effects.
- Kidney: This medicine should be used with great caution by patients with kidney disease. Dose adjustment and careful monitoring of the kidney function may be prescribed by the doctor in these cases.
- Liver: Sompraz D 40 Capsule should be used with great caution by patients suffering from liver related ailments. This capsule is not recommended to be used by patients with moderate and severe liver disease. However, in case the medicine has to be administered, a regular dose adjustment may be required.
Interaction with alcohol –
Consumption of alcohol along with Sompraz D 40 capsules may increase acidity which may lead to acid reflux followed by heartburn. Alcohol may also decrease the effectiveness of the medicine and may increase the chances of aggravating the patient’s current medical condition.
Sompraz D variants
Following are the variants of Sompraz D 40 Capsules –
- Sompraz D 20 Capsule SR
Medicines that should not be taken with Sompraz D 40 capsules –
Following are the medicines that should not be consumed with Sompraz D 40 capsules as co-administration may lead to the occurrence of severe side effects –
Sompraz D Price in India:
|Sompraz D 40 Capsule (strip of 10 capsules)||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd||INR 107|
Read More: Daflon 500 Price | Defcort 6 Price
How to store Sompraz D?
- The medicine must be stored at room temperature away from direct heat and sunlight.
- The medicine must be kept away from the reach of pets and children.
- The medicine must be kept at a place where it cannot retain moisture.
- The packaging of the medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its efficacy on administration.
Ans: Yes, consumption of Sompraz D capsules is safe for lactating mothers as the medicine does not pass through the milk and affects the baby’s health. However, a breastfeeding woman must only consume medicine post getting advice from a doctor.
Ans: It is not advisable to administer Sompraz D capsules along with antibiotics as co-administration may cause severe side effects. Patients are advised to avoid self-medication.
Ans: Sompraz Dis is not deemed safe for use by pregnant females as it is known to have an adverse effect on the developing fetus. The doctor must be consulted before starting a dose of this medicine for specific warnings and appropriate dosage instructions.
Ans: No, Sompraz D capsules are not known to be addictive by nature. All addictive drugs in India are classified under schedule X or H therefore, it is advised to read the packaging label of the drug carefully for all the related information.
Ans: Missing a single dose of medicine may not cause many effects. However, for medicine to work properly some concentration of medicine should always be present in the body. If a patient continuously misses the dose of the Sompraz D capsules, the medicine may not be able to completely cure the condition for which it has been prescribed.
Ans: Yes, it is safe to drive during the course of Sompraz D capsules. The medicine is not known to induce dizziness or drowsiness in the patients. However, if a patient feels dizzy after the consumption of this medicine he/she should avoid driving.
Ans: Sompraz D is generally advised to take the missed dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, it is recommended to administer the next dose and not take the skipped dose. Under no circumstance should a double dose be taken to compensate for the missed dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or other side effects.
Ans: Sompraz Dis is commonly advised to consume the capsule as a whole without crushing, breaking, or chewing it. It is generally recommended to administer the capsule 15-20 minutes before having a meal to avoid nausea and vomiting.
Ans: Sompraz D is generally recommended to be taken at least 15-20 minutes prior to having a meal for maximum efficacy and increased effect. For case-specific recommendations, it is advised to consult a doctor before starting the dose of the medicine.
Ans: Sompraz D capsules are generally used to treat conditions such as Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), gastric ulcers, heavy bloating and belching, gas, etc.
Ans: In case of a suspected overdose, it is advised to immediately consult a doctor to seek remedial action.
Ans: No, Sompraz D 40 capsules are not available as an over-the-counter medicine. A doctor’s prescription is a must to be able to purchase these capsules from a medical store in India.
Ans: The common side effects associated with Sompraz D capsules are
Dryness in mouth
Ans: No, it is not advisable to abruptly stop or alter the dosage of the medicine even if an improvement in the condition is experienced. Leaving the course of medicine in between may not completely cure the condition it has been prescribed for. The doctor must be consulted on experiencing any side effects before stopping the consumption of the medicine as he may prescribe an alternate dose or medicine.
The medicine should be stored away from direct sunlight and heat.
It should be kept at room temperature.
The medicine should be kept out of reach of pets and children
Ans: Sompraz D capsules are not banned in India and can be easily purchased at medical stores after getting a prescription from the doctor.
Ans: Following precautions and warnings must be adhered to while administering Sompraz D capsules –
It is advised to stop the consumption of alcohol during the course of Sompraz D capsules. This is because consuming alcohol while administering the medicine may cause adverse side effects and reduce the efficacy of the medicine.
Patients suffering from severe liver-related ailments must exercise caution while administering Sompraz D capsules.
Patients suffering from kidney-related ailments are not advised to administer this medicine. The medicine must only be administered post getting consultation from a doctor. Regular monitoring of the kidney function may be advised by the doctor in such cases.
Pregnant women are not advised to use this medicine as it may cause pose a health-related threat to the developing fetus. The medicine must only be administered if it is deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor and if the intended benefits outweigh the possible risks.
Patients suffering from cardiac arrhythmia must exercise extra caution while administering medicine.
The medicine must not be administered to children.
Ans: Although it is always recommended to check the expiry date of the medicine before administering it, a single expired dose may not cause any severe side effects. It must be noted that the efficacy of the medicine may be affected as an expired capsule will not be as effective in treating the symptoms as an unexpired dose. In case of experiencing any severe side effects, a doctor must be consulted immediately to seek remedial action.
Ans: No, you do not need to avoid a particular food item while administering a dose of Sompraz D capsules. The medicine is not known to cause any interaction with food items.
Ans: The consumption of this medicine does not cause any drowsiness or dizziness in patients. However, if a patient feels dizzy after consumption of this medicine he/she must avoid operating heavy machinery.