While most people who do not suffer from it believe migraine to be just another type of headache, it is so much more than that. Migraine is a severe headache that is a direct result of changes within the biochemistry of the patient’s brain. Moreover, migraine headaches are often accompanied by sensitivity to light, sound, and even certain smells, which can further aggravate the condition in some extreme cases.
There are several medicines available in the marketplace that are used to prevent or reduce the occurrences of migraine headaches in patients, and Sibelium 10 mg is one such medicine.
What is Sibelium 10 MG Tablet?
Sibelium 10 mg is an antimigraine medication, which means that the purpose of Sibelium 10 mg is to reduce the occurrences of migraine headaches in the patient. Also, it helps in reducing the duration of each occurrence, which can usually last anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Sibelium 10 mg is an over-the-counter product and can easily be obtained by any pharmacist upon producing a valid prescription from an authorized medical expert. Sibelium 10 mg also treats other related symptoms of migraine, including vomiting and sensitivity to light as well as noise. It is manufactured and marketed by Janssen Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Composition and Nature of Sibelium:
As far as its nature is concerned, the Sibelium 10 mg tablet is an antimigraine medicine. It belongs to a class of medicines that are specific to the treatment of migraine headaches. They aim to reduce the frequency as well as the intensity of the occurrences of migraine headaches. The main active ingredient of Sibelium 10 mg medicine is flunarizine, which is identified as a calcium antagonist and is used for the treatment of a large number of symptoms.
Flunarizine is only included in medication and is not available for any other purchase in its pure form in countries like the United State of America and Japan. Flunarizine is observed to be extremely effective in the treatment and prevention of migraines, as well as vertigo related to the central and peripheral nervous systems. The effects of flunarizine are acceptable in both children as well as adults, with minor side effects observed in some individuals.
Read More: Mecobalamin Composition | Mala D Composition
Uses and Benefits of Sibelium:
Sibelium 10 mg tablet is prescribed to patients for the treatment of the following medical conditions:
- The most important reason for the prescription of the Sibelium 10 mg tablet is its ability to prevent migraine headaches.
- Reduction of intensity of migraine headaches.
- The decrease in the number of occurrences of migraine headaches.
- Decrease or eliminate the patient’s sensitivity to light, noise and certain smells.
- Treatment and prevention of vestibular disorders (medical disorders related to ears and the brain)
- Prevention of vertigo, of central as well as the peripheral origin
Read More: Meganeuron OD Plus Uses | Looz 10 Uses
Side Effects of Sibelium:
Medicines may have unexpected effects on the body of the patient at times, due to allergies or even interactions with other medication that is present in the patient’s system. Following are some of the possible side effects experienced by patients due to prolonged administration of the Sibelium 10 mg medication:
- Ringing or buzzing of ears
- The tingling sensation of hands and feet
- Numbness in hands and feet
- Depression and mood swings
- Weight gain and/or increased appetite
- Excessive sleepiness/fatigue
- Muscle pain and cramps
- Inflammation of faces, hands and feet
- Disturbance in menstrual cycle observed in female patients
- Excessive sweating, hot flashes
- Blocked or runny nose
- Elevated levels of liver enzymes
Certain side effects observed in the patient may be a direct result of an allergic reaction. It is strongly advised to immediately consult a medical expert if such a situation presents itself, and get the dose of the Sibelium 10 mg medicine readjusted according to the medical requirements of the patient.
Read More: Libotryp Side Effects | Levosalbutamol Side Effects
Common Dosage of Sibelium:
The most commonly suggested dosage of the Sibelium 10 mg tablet is one tablet per day, which is to be taken right before bed. This is because the Sibelium 10 mg induces drowsiness in the patient which interferes with their ability to concentrate.
For best results, patients are advised to take the tablet at a fixed time every day. For patients who are allergic to one or more components of the Sibelium 10 mg tablet, the dose of the medicine might require readjustment to prevent adverse effects.
Read More: Doxt SL Dosages | Pregabalin 75 Dosages
How Sibelium Works?
The mechanism of the medicine to prevent migraine headaches involves the prohibition of dilation of blood vessels in the brain, which helps ease the pain. It works by preventing the loss of tone as well as the dilation of blood vessels, thereby preventing migraine headaches.
Precautions and Warnings – When to Avoid Sibelium?
- Patients with a history of depression must use Sibelium 10 mg tablet only after due consultation with their doctor
- Liver patients and patients with extrapyramidal symptoms must also use the Sibelium 10 mg with caution.
- Pregnant as well as lactating women must only consume Sibelium 10 mg tablet after due consultation with their gynaecologist to ensure theirs as well as their child’s safety.
- The Sibelium 10 mg tablet must always be stored in a cool and dry place.
- The tablet must always be swallowed whole.
- Patients of Parkinson’s disease should not to use Sibelium 10 mg tablet without seeking medical help.
- Since the side effects of the Sibelium 10 mg include drowsiness and fatigue, patients are advised not to operate any heavy machinery or drive right after taking the medicine.
- An overdose of the Sibelium 10 mg medicine can cause increased heart rate and mild agitation, among other symptoms. Contact your doctor immediately for medical advice.
- Use of the Sibelium 10 mg tablet with alcohol can cause extreme drowsiness in the patient.
Substitutes of Sibelium:
The possible alternatives for the Sibelium 10 mg tablet are as follows:
- Flunarin 10 mg tablet- manufactured by FDC Ltd
- Migarid 10 mg tablet – manufactured by Cipla Ltd
- Migon 10 mg tablet – manufactured by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Migranex 10 mg tablet – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Zerograin 10 mg tablet – Mankind Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Any medicine with flunarizine as its main active ingredient can be considered as a substitute for the Sibelium 10 mg tablet.
Read More: Ambrodil S Substitutes | Corex Substitutes