Sarpagandha is an evergreen shrub that is known to bear medicinal properties. It is most commonly used to control and treat high blood pressure as well as induce sleep. It has been used for a lot of purposes since medieval times. Its anti-venom properties help in removing toxic substances from the body and treating snake bites.
Composition and Nature of Sarpagandha:
Sarpagandha belongs to a group of herbs known as Apocynaceae. It is a medicinal herb that is known to treat a number of conditions in the body such as hypertension, snake bite, blood toxicity, and insomnia.
This herb consists of multiple chemical components that work together to treat a variety of conditions. The major chemicals present in Sapragandha are-
Uses and Benefits of Sarpagandha:
The root and leaves of the Sarpagandha are used for treating various conditions. Popularly known as Indian Snakeroot, it is useful in treating, controlling, and preventing multiple conditions. A few conditions for which is generally prescribed are-
- Hypertension- Indian snakeroot is known to be very useful in controlling and treating symptoms associated with high blood pressure. Regular use of this medicinal herb is also known to treat the major facets of this condition.
- Anxiety- Consistent use of it is known to curb anxiety and nervousness in patients. This is because; this herb is known to have a tranquilizing effect on the senses of the patient, thereby calming the nerves of the patient.
- Insomnia- Insomnia is also referred to as a condition of sleeplessness. it has sedative effects on the body and induces sleep on being administered. Hence, it is known to be very effective in treating insomnia and inability to sleep.
- Menstrual Regulator- It is known to induce mensuration and helps in decreasing discomfort during menopause. It is also used for regularizing the menstrual cycle and ensures regular periods.
- Kidney problems- It has anti-diuretic properties which help in regulating the fluid balance in the body, amount of blood volume and hence controlling the amount of fluid excreted from the body.
- Tumor or Lump formation- The anti-proliferative properties of the drug inhibits the growth of cells around the lump or tumor forming in the body.
- Schizophrenia- It bears antipsychotic properties which help in curing schizophrenia.
- Spasms in the legs due to poor circulation- It helps in regulating the blood flow in the body and hence treats the condition effectively.
Side Effects of Sarpagandha:
Listed below are the side effects of Sarpagandha which can be serious if not treated on time:
Interactions of Sarpagandha:
Sarpagandha, when administered along with other medicines or herbal supplements may result in the occurrence of adverse side effects.
Interaction with Medicine
It is advisable not to take the drug with medicines listed below to avoid severe side effects:
- Antipsychotic drugs
Interaction with Alcohol
Patients should refrain from consuming alcohol while taking Sarpagandha.
1) Can I consume alcohol while taking Sarpagandha?
Ans: No, consuming alcohol while administering it is advised against and may lead to unwanted side effects. This is because alcohol and this drug are both known to have sedative properties and may intensify symptoms such as dizziness, drowsiness, and lethargy in patients.
2) What will happen if overdose on this medicine?
Ans: Overdosing on this drug may lead to severe side effects. If an overdose is suspected, patients must visit a doctor immediately to seek remedial action.
3) Is Sarpagandha safe to be administered to children?
Ans: It must not be administered to infants, but the kids above the age of 5 years can be administered this drug in low doses.
4) What are the various chemical components present in Sarpagandha?
Ans: The main active chemical components present in Sarpagandha are yohimbine, serpentinine, deserpidine, ajmaline, ajmalicine, reserpiline, indobinine, ajmalimine, reserpine, rescinnamine, serpentine, indobine, and rescinnamidine.
5) How long do I need to administer Sarpagandha before I see improvement in my condition?
Ans: Sarpagandha shows its effect differently on different patients. The conditions for which it is administered are an extensive list and thus it cannot be exactly estimated how long it would take the drug to show its effect. For case-specific recommendations and details, it is advised to consult a doctor.
6) How many times do I need to administer Sarpagandha in a day?
Ans: The most commonly prescribed daily dosage for this drug is once for kids and twice for adults. The dosage may vary depending on the age, medical condition, and history of the patient.
7) What are the storage requirements for Sarpagandha?
Ans: It is retailed under various names and comes in multiple forms. The common storage instructions for Sarpagandha are-
- It should be stored at room temperature.
- The ayurvedic medicine must be kept away from the reach of children and pets
- It must be stored in an air-tight container.
- It is not advised to expose the medicine to direct heat and sunlight.
8) Is Sarpagandha safe to be consumed by pregnant women?
Ans: No, It is not considered safe to be consumed by pregnant women. The constituents present in this drug exhibit very strong medicinal traits and may even lead to a miscarriage.
9) Does Sarpagandha contain sugar?
Ans: No, Sarpagandha does not contain sugar as an ingredient.
10) Is this medicine safe to be administered by lactating mothers?
Ans: No, it is not recommended for lactating females to administer Sarpagandha as it may affect the health of the nursing infant. The drug may be administered by lactating females if deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor and only in case, the intended benefits outweigh the associated risks.
11) Can Sarpagandha be administered to Diabetic patients?
Ans: Yes, It can be administered by patients suffering from diabetes. It is known to be useful in controlling and maintaining the level of blood sugar in the body.
12) Can I consume this medicine to relieve mental stress?
Ans: Yes, you can consume this drug to relieve mental stress. It is a medicine that helps to treat anxiety and depression and is not known to cause major side effects. However, it is strongly recommended that the patients consult a doctor prior to administering the drug in order to avoid the occurrence of any side effects.
13) Do I need to avoid any particular food item while administering Sarpagandha?
Ans: No, It does not interact with any food item, hence there is no need to avoid a particular food item while administering this drug. However, the doctor may ask the patient to avoid the consumption of certain food products depending upon their medical condition.
14) Can Sarpagandha be prescribed to cure hand tremors?
Ans: Yes, It can be prescribed to cure hand tremors caused due to nervousness and anxiety. This supplement is known to have sedative and calming properties.
15) Can Sarpagandha be prescribed for the treatment of hallucinations?
Ans: Yes, It has antipsychotic properties hence it can be prescribed for the treatment of hallucinations.
16) Is it safe to drive after consuming Sarpagandha tablets?
Ans: No, it is not safe to drive after the consumption of Sarpagandha. The consumption of this drug is known to cause a sedative effect on the body. It also affects the motor skills of a person and induces sleep. Thus, it is not safe to drive during the course of this.
17) Should I administer this medicine before or after having a meal?
Ans: It can be consumed with or without food. However, the patients are advised to follow the instructions given by the doctor on how to consume the medicine for maximum efficacy.
18) Can Sarpagandha be prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure?
Ans: Yes, It is most commonly prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure. The drug has a sedative effect on the body and also helps in maintaining and controlling high blood pressure in patients suffering from hypertension.
19) What are the common side effects associated with Sarpagandha?
Ans: The common side effects associated with Sarpagandha are –
- Digestive issues or constipation
- Nasal congestion
- Complications during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Inflammation of the body parts
20) Is Sarpagandha available as an Over- the- Counter medicine?
Ans: Yes, It is an ayurvedic medicine that can be purchased without a prescription from a doctor. It is marketed under various names by different manufacturers.
21) Does this medicine have a habit-forming tendency?
Ans: No. It does have any habit-forming tendencies.
22) Can I take this medicine along with other allopathic medicines?
Ans: Consuming allopathic medicines may cause severe drug interactions therefore, consumption of any medicine along with this supplement must be avoided.
23) Can I stop the consumption of this medicine immediately after I see an improvement in my condition?
Ans: No, it is not advisable to abruptly stop or alter the dosage of the drug even if an improvement in the condition is experienced. Leaving the course of the drug in between may not completely cure the condition it has been prescribed for. The doctor must be consulted before stopping the consumption of the ayurvedic medicine, in case of occurrence of any severe side effects on administering Sarpagandha. The doctor may prescribe an alternate dose if side effects persist.
24) What is Sarpagandha used for?
Ans: It is used –
- Joint pain
- Liver problems
- Mild high blood pressure.
- Mental disorders such as schizophrenia.
- Spasms in the legs due to poor circulation.
25) Can Sarpagandha be prescribed to patients suffering from acne and skin ailments?
Ans: Yes, this can be administered to patients suffering from acne and pimples. This is because this drug has anti-inflammatory properties because of which it helps in treating acne and other skin-related ailments.
26) Is Sarpagandha banned in India?
Ans: It is an ayurvedic which is readily available on all medical stores in India. It can be purchased without getting a prescription from the doctor.
27) Is Sarpagandha a prescription-only drug?
Ans: No, It is not a prescription-only drug. It is generally prescribed for the treatment and prevention of various medical conditions such as hypertension, insomnia, and anxiety.
28) What are the general precautions and warnings to be followed while taking Sarpagandha?
Ans: Following are the warnings and precautions that must be adhered to while administering Sarpagandha–
- Patients should refrain from consuming alcohol while taking it.
- If the patient is allergic to any ingredients of this drugs, then it is important to inform the doctor immediately.
- The drug should be administered in limited doses as it has sedative tendencies.