Redotil is manufactured and marketed by Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories and is presented as 100 mg capsules and 10 mg sachets. Prescribed for the treatment of acute diarrhea, the human body breaks it down into thiorphan. Thiorphan actively reduces the watery secretions of the intestines hence controlling fluid loss and the other symptoms of diarrhea. Redotil is an antidiarrheal agent, an enkaphalinase inhibitor and is considered safe for use in children.
Composition and Nature of Redotil 100 MG Capsule:
Redotil capsules contain Racecadotril 100 mg and acts as an enkaphalinase inhibitor. It is also available as 10 mg Racecadotril powder sachets. It becomes the drug of choice when the patient has suffered diarrhea for more than three days.
Uses of Redotil 100 MG Capsule:
When fluid and dietary measures are not sufficient and effective to control diarrhea. Redotil capsules are prescribed. Most cases of diarrhea are caused by bacterial infection, but it can happen with viral or parasitic infection too.
Side Effects of Redotil 100 MG Capsule:
Redotil is mostly well tolerated. Side effects may include nausea & vomiting and fever. Other rarely reported side effects may be tonsillitis, skin rashes, swelling in the face or lips and difficulty in breathing. Consult your Doctor immediately if such side effects appear or persist.
Common Dosage of Redotil 100:
As with most medications your Doctor is the best judge to decide on the dosage of Redotil 100 mg capsules. It is generally given for seven days. The granulated medication is to be mixed well with boiled water or food and given to the patient immediately. Dosage is to be continued till significant improvement is seen.
Your Doctor mostly advises you to take this medication at a fixed time. A missed dose is to be taken immediately but if the time for the next dose is near, a dosage has to be avoided.
Two doses of Redotil are generally prescribed as 10 mg to infants and 30 mg to children above 12 kg body weight.
Oral rehydration solution (ORS) is to be given along with the medication and helps the patient regain body fluids.
How Redotil 100 MG Capsule works?
The molecular formula of Racecadotril C21-H23-N-O4-S and the molecular weight is 385 g/mol
Redotil 100mg is an enkaphalinase inhibitor. It has an anti-secretory action. Secretion of water and electrolytes from the intestine is inhibited or reduced. This action brings down the fluid loss from the body during a diarrheal infection.
Warnings and Precaution Related to Redotil 100 MG Capsule:
The Doctor has to be informed about all the issues the patient is suffering or has a particular health problem.
- Redotil 100 MG Capsule has to be prescribed after getting the complete medical history.
- It may not suit patients with high fever.
- It should be avoided if blood appears in the stool of the patient.
- It is not suitable for children with liver problems.
- It may not be suitable for children with kidney problems.
- It has to be used with caution with antibiotics.
- Redotil 100mg Capsule should be used with an oral rehydration solution (ORS). This provides fluid and electrolyte replacement.
- Don’t take Redotil 100mg Capsule for more than seven days. If required consult your Doctor.
- Redotil 100mg Capsule should not be used if there is uncontrolled vomiting.
- Redotil 100mg Capsule is not to be used in children below three months. It is also not approved for adults or adolescents above thirteen years.
Substitutes for Redotil 100 MG Capsule:
The substitutes and their manufacturers for Redotil 100 mg capsules are noted below –
- Zedott100 mg Capsule is sold by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- Racedot 100 mg Capsule is sold by Macleods Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- Racy 100 mg Capsule is sold by Abbot Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- Racotil 100 mg Capsule is sold by Cipla Limited.
- Normet R 100 mg Capsule is sold by Emcure Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- Hydral 100 mg Capsule is sold by Alembic Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- Leedot Capsule is sold by Leeford Healthcare Limited.
- Cadotril 100 mg Capsule is sold by Ordain Health Care Global.
- Ralop 100 mg Capsule is sold by Salud Care India Private Limited.
- Race F 100 mg Capsule is sold by Bestochem Formulations India Limited.
- Racex 100 mg Capsule is sold by Zee Laboratories.
- Trotz 100 mg Capsule is sold by Wallace Pharmaceuticals Private Limited.
- Dotril 100 mg Capsule is sold by Apex Laboratories Private Limited.
- Enuff 100 mg Capsule is sold by Hetero Drugs Limited.
- AD 100 mg Capsule is sold by Hetero Drugs Limited.
Redotil 100 MG Capsule Interactions:
Your Doctor has to be informed if you are undergoing any treatment or the medications you are presently taking. Little is known about interactions with disease, alcohol or food but the effects of Redotil may change.
Known drug interactions are with the following drugs –
1) How does Redotil differ from loperamide?
Ans: Loperamide affects motility while Redotil is an antidiarrheal agent, an enkaphalinase inhibitor and is considered safe for use in children.
Treatment with Redotil has a lesser probability of rebound constipation.
2) What is the duration of use for Redotil?
Ans: Redotil has to be taken as per the Doctor’s prescription and advice. It is suggested to continue with this medication till the patient has two normal stools. The dosage should not exceed more than seven days. The Doctor has to be consulted for further reference.
3) Can Redotil be prescribed for adults?
Ans: No. Redotil is for use and should be prescribed in children less than 13 years of age.
4) Can Redotil be called a novel anti diarrheal?
Ans: Yes, it can be called a novel anti diarrheal as it rapidly inhibits internal secretion. It does not cause any post treatment constipation.
5) Can it be bought over the counter?
Ans: It should not be bought over the counter. It is a prescription medication and has to be taken under the supervision of a Doctor.
6) Will Redotil bring down stool output?
Ans: Yes. Redotil should bring down stool output for the time that the therapy is ongoing. Later on the stool output returns to normal for the particular patient.
7) Should Redotil be used alone or in combination with other medication?
Ans: Redotil should always be combined with an oral rehydration therapy (ORS).
8) What is the cost of Redotil therapy?
Ans: Cost depends mainly on two factors – dosage and duration. Redotil therapy is of a short duration, hence does not prove expensive. The exact per capsule price can be had from the packaging box.