Manufactured by J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd, Rantac 150 mg tablet belongs to the class of drugs that inhibit histamine 2 productions, thus reducing the production of acid in the stomach. This makes it an effective treatment for stomach and intestinal ailments associated with excessive acid formation.
Uses and Benefits of Rantac 150:
This drug is mainly prescribed for the health conditions listed below:
Prevention as well as treatment of stomach/gastric ulcers.
- General acidity and heartburn
- Benign duodenal ulcer, ulcers of the small intestines
- Erosive Esophagitis
- Gastroesophageal Reflux ailments
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome
- Acid peptic disease
- Inflammation of esophagus
- Stop acidity caused by anesthesia
- Prevention of acidity caused by antibiotics
- Maintenance therapy after ulcers have healed
Side Effects of Rantac 150:
Over and above the intended benefits of this drug, Rantac 150 may also cause some unpleasant side effects in some patients, and these are listed below:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Muscle pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach ache
- Breathing difficulty
- Mental confusion
- Chest pain
- Swelling of lips, eyelids, face, tongue
- Low blood pressure
- Liver enzymes imbalance
- Rash, redness and itching of skin
- Blur vision
- Air passage constriction
- Acute pancreatitis
Common Dosage of Rantac 150:
- Rantac Tablet should be taken as per recommended dosage and for the duration prescribed by a registered medical practitioner to avoid any risk associated with over dosage. It is usually prescribed to be taken twice a day.
- Rantac 150 may be taken with or without food, though it is advisable to take it at a fixed time daily.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a full glass of water only. Taking it with citrus fruit juices may cause stomach irritation. Do not crush, break or chew the tablet.
- It is best to take this drug at bedtime if it is prescribed to be taken once a day as it is very effective in inhibiting stomach acid released at night.
- Incase of a missed dose, take it immediately as soon as you remember. But if it is already time for the next dose, it is advisable to skip the missed dose to avoid overdose complications.
- Incase of an overdose, immediately report the same to your doctor- especially on experiencing any side effects seek medical treatment.
Composition and Nature of Rantac 150:
Rantac 150 tablets are composed of the active ingredient (salt) listed below :
- Ranitidine – 150 MG
The medication may also be available in varied strengths of its active ingredient.
Precautions and Warnings- When to Avoid Rantac 150:
- Rantac 150 should not be prescribed for patients who are allergic to its primary component- Ranitidine.
- This drug should be avoided for patients with porphyria, a rare hereditary condition.
- Rantac 150 is not recommended patients with cases of gastrointestinal bleeding.
- This drug is relatively safe for use in pregnancy as the limited human studies have not shown to have any adverse effects on the foetus.
- This drug is relatively safe for lactating women as it does not pass through breast milk in considerable quantity or cause toxicity to the feeding infant as per the limited human data available.
- Rantac 150 should be used with utmost caution in patients with a history of any kidney, renal or liver ailments- as the dose may need to be altered. It should be completely avoided in patients with severe or active kidney or liver damage/ailments.
- Maintain a gap of two hours if taking an antacid while being treated with Rantac 150.
- It is advisable to avoid alcohol intake while taking Rantac 150 as it may cause stomach irritation or aggravate drowsiness, a possible side effect of this medicine.
Substitutes of Rantac 150:
The below-mentioned medicines can be used in place of Rantac 150 as they have the same strength, composition, and form:
|Antec 150 mg||Ulcirid 150 mg|
|Zoran 150 mg||H2loc 150 mg|
|Plaxid 0.25 mg||Rantodac 150 mg|
|Renit 150 mg||Pepdac 150 mg|
|Rantime 150 mg||Aztec 150 mg|
|Ranacid 150 mg||Ranila 150 mg|
|Ranicool 150 mg||Taurdin 150 mg|
|Kaytec 150 mg||Udidine 150 mg|
|Ranizac 150 mg||Ranisac 150 mg|
|Zytak 150 mg||Antec 150 mg|
|Gertac 150 mg||Natidine 150 mg|
|Rdin 150 mg||Myntac 150 mg|
|Ranitas 150 mg||Rafilon 150 mg|
|Ranial 150 mg||Ranicom 150 mg|
|Ranibid 150 mg||Ulcidin 150 mg|
|Rantica 150 mg||Ranisym 150 mg|
|Helkoss 150 mg||Ulcirid 150 mg|
|Ranipep 150 mg||Bintac 150 mg|
|Zynol 150 mg||Stantac 150 mg|
|Rintin 150 mg||Ranitin 150 mg|
|Consec 150 mg||Intac 150 mg|
|Rancafe 150 mg||Nicotac 150 mg|
|Ranee 150 mg||Giran 150 mg|
|Monorin 150 mg||Aciloc 150 mg|
|Histac 150 mg||Zinetac 150 mg|
|R Loc 150 mg||Ulfast 150 mg|
|Ranitidine 150 mg||Retin 150 mg|
|Advene 150 mg||Renitab 150 mg|
|Healcer 150 mg||Nilcer 150 mg|
|Monolac 150 mg||H2A 150 mg|
Rantac 150 Interactions with Other Drugs:
- It is advised to keep your doctor informed about any herbal supplements, vitamins or any other drugs you may be taking before starting a course of rantac 150 as these may either alter the effects of this drug or increase the risk of some side effects.
- It is also important to keep your doctor in the know-how if your are planning to get pregnant, or undergo any medical procedures like surgery before taking this drug to avoid any possible complications.
- Rantac 150 can possibly interact with the below mentioned drugs and thus require a dose adjustment or a safety test:
Ketoconazole – rantac 150 is known to make this drug less effective.
Loperamide – a dose alteration and safety scan will be required when taking rantac 150 along with this medicine.
Variants of Rantac 150:
The following are the variants of Rantac 150:
- Rantac syrup
- Rantac OD 300 tablet CR
- Rantac mps oral suspension
- Rantac 25mg injectiion
- Rantac Dom tablet
- Rantac Mps LA suspension
Rantac 150 Price in India:
- Rantac 150 tablet: 23.2 INR
- Rantac syrup: 76.16 INR
- Rantac OD 300 tablet CR: 54.4 INR
- Rantac mps oral suspension: 91.93 INR
- Rantac 25mg injection: 3 INR
- Rantac Dom tablet: 20.89 INR
- Rantac Mps LA suspension: 95.14 INR
How Rantac 150 Works?
Ranitidine, the main component of Rantac 150, is an effective inhibitor of histamine 2, which works by reducing the amount of acid secreted in the stomach causing various ailments of the digestive tract.
How to use Rantac 150?
Rantac 150 mg should be taken in the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor. It should be swallowed and can be taken with or without food. Do not crush, break or chew the medicine. It is advised to take Rantac 150 at a fixed time.
In order to prevent heartburn, take 1 tablet orally with water at least half an hour to one hour before having meal or drinking beverages. One should not take more than 2 tablets in a day unless told by the doctor.
When Rantac 150 is prescribed?
Rantac 150 mg is effective in reducing the amount of acid produced in the stomach. It is used for treating stomach acid-related disorders like heartburn and reflux disease. The medicine is used for treating the following conditions:
- Duodenal Ulcer: The medicine is used for the short-term treatment of ulcers of the small intestine. It can also be used to avoid the reoccurrence of ulcers.
- Gastric Ulcer: A number of clinical trials have been performed on patients suffering from peptic ulcers have shown that rantac 150 in a dose of 150mg if taken twice, is an effective medicine that completely heals the disorder within 4-8 weeks of the treatment.
- Gastroesophagal Reflux Disease : As a histamine-2 blocker, Rantac 150 constraints the action of histamine on the cells, by reducing the production of acid by the stomach. It eases the irritation caused in the food pipe.
- Erosive Esophagitis: Both dosages of Rantac 150 are effective in treating erosive esophagitis, similar to that of placebo. Both dosages of rantac 150mg or 300mg should be taken four times daily in order to relieve the symptoms.
Medicines that should not be taken with Rantac 150:
There are chances that medicines can influence each other producing an increased effect, side effects, or decreased effectiveness of one of the drugs, known as drug interaction. Mentioned below is the list of medicines that should not be taken with Rantac 150mg.
- Ketoconazole: The use of Rantac 150mg with Ketonazole can reduce the effectiveness of the latter medicine. Patients should inform the doctor if their symptoms do not improve or get worse. One should discontinue the use of either of the medicine without discussing it with the doctor. Therefore, it is advised that patients should tell the doctor if they are using either of the medicine.
- Loperamide: Patients are advised to report the use of either of Rantac 150 to the doctor. Dose adjustment and close monitoring may be required in this combination. The doctor may prescribe an alternative medicine if the intake of Loperamide is high or if the patient is suffering from a heart disorder.
- Metformin : Patients should communicate to their doctor if they are taking either of the medicine. Dose adjustments and frequent monitoring of blood is required while taking this combination.
- Atazanavir: Patients should tell their doctor if they are taking either of Rantac 150. The doctor may adjust the dose of Atazanavir while taking it with Rantac 150mg. One should not stop the medication of either of the medicine without consulting the doctor.
- Dasatinib: It is advised to replace one or both the medicines with alternatives that do not interact. The discontinuation of any of the medicine should be done only under medical supervision.
- Pazopanib: Patients should avoid taking this combination. The doctor may prescribe a suitable alternative in such cases.
How to Store Rantac 150?
Rantac 150 should be stored at room temperature and away from sunlight and heat. It is advised to keep the medicines away from children and pets.
Rantac 150 should be taken before food or after food?
It can be taken with or without food to prevent heartburn and acid indigestion. Rantac 150 mg Tablet should be taken 30-60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that can cause heartburn.
If Rantac 150 is prescribed twice, it is suggested to take it in the morning and breakfast. But if it is prescribed once, then the best time to take Rantac 150 is at bedtime.
When to take Rantac 150?
Rantac 150 mg is an antacid, antireflux agent that is used for curing peptic ulcers. Rantac 150 reduces the amount of acid made in the stomach. It is available in the form of a tablet that is taken orally. It is used in controlling conditions such as stomach ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome that leads to excess production of the stomach in the acid.
Suspension of Rantac 150:
The suspension of Rantac is available in two forms:
- Rantac syrup: The rantac syrup is a H2 blocker that provides relieves from indigestion and heartburn by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach.
- Rantac 150 should be taken at the same dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor. Make sure to measure the medicine in the measuring cup and shake it well before taking it. It is advised to take the medicine before going to bed once in a day as it controls stomach acid in the midnight.
- Rantac mps oral suspension: Rantac 150 is a combination of two medicines; magaldrate and polydimethylsiloxane. It is used in treating acidity, bloating and stomach ulcers. It is suggested to take this medicine with food.
Ans: It is not recommended to take Rantac 150 during breastfeeding unless it gets absolutely necessary. Patients should discuss the risks and benefits with the doctor before starting the medication.
Ans: Certain groups of people, like children, very old, and pregnant women are more vulnerable to harm from drugs, even over-the-counter products. While taking such drugs special precautions that may include doctor’s supervision should be exercised. Here is the list of precautions that should be practiced while taking Rantac 150.
It should be taken only under medical supervision.
Do not take alcohol for at least 3 days after the last dosage of the medicine.
Speak to your doctor about your current medical condition.
Avoid taking this medicine if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Be cautious about the expiry of medicine. Do not take the medicine once it is expired. For queries, refer to the packaging.
One should avoid driving or the use of heavy machinery.
Ans: Whenever a doctor prescribes a new medicine, you should always discuss the side effects caused by Rantac 150. It is recommended that while speaking to the doctor, one should have a list of medicines that one is taking. Mentioned below is the list of side effects caused by the medicine.
Difficulty in breathing
Inform the doctor immediately if you notice any of the following side effects.
Ans: It is always suggested to take Rantac 150 as soon as you remember it. But, if it is time for the next dose, then you should skip the missed dose. Do not take double dosage to make up for the missed dose.
While in the case of injection, the chance of missing the dose is next to zero as it is administered by a medical practitioner.
Ans: Patients suffering from kidney disorders should take Rantac 150 mg tablet with great caution. Appropriate dose adjustments and close monitoring of renal function may be required depending upon the condition.
Ans: Rantac 150 should be avoided in the following conditions:
Allergy: Patients who are allergic to Rantac or any of its active ingredients should not use the medicine.
Porphyria: Patients suffering from porphyria should not use this medicine.
Pneumonia: Taking medicine may increase the risk of developing pneumonia. If you notice any of the symptoms like chest pain, difficulty in breathing, and cough, immediately report it to the doctor.
Ans: Sometimes medicines are not safe when you take them with other medicines and food. Taking them together can cause unwanted side effects. There are certain medicines that should not be taken with Rantac, they are as follows:
Ans: It is a combination of two medicines, magaldrate and polydimethylsiloxane. The former ingredient is an inorganic salt that neutralizes the excess acid present in the stomach. The latter ingredient is an anti-foaming medicine that allows the steady passage of gas.
Ans: Rantac 150 mg tablet reduces the amount of acid in the stomach. It can be taken with or without food. In order to prevent heartburn and acid indigestion, this medicine should be taken at least half an hour to 1 hour before taking meal or drinking beverages. You are not supposed to take more than 2 tablets in a day unless told by your doctor.
Ans: In order to avoid heartburn, take 1 tablet orally with water at least half an hour to one hour before having meal or drinking beverages. One should not take more than 2 tablets in a day unless told by the doctor. Do not crush, chew or break the medicine.
Ans: Rantac 150 tablet usually starts showing its effects in about an hour after oral or intravenous administration.
Ans: The effects of this drug can last anywhere between 4-6 hours after its onset.
Ans: No habit-forming tendencies have been observed so far.
Ans: Rantac 150 can be taken by pregnant women, but they must consult a physician.
Ans: Store Rantac 150 in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.