Omez D Capsule belongs to a group of drugs known as the proton-pump inhibitors which are known to provide relief from heartburn and acidity due to excessive acid production in the stomach. Omez D Capsule is generally prescribed to treat Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), motion sickness, gastric ulcer, heartburn, and acidity.
|Nature of Omez D:||Proton Pump Inhibitor|
|Composition of Omez D:||Domperidone (30mg) + Omeprazole (20mg)|
|Uses of Omez D:||Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), motion sickness, gastric ulcer, heartburn.|
|Side Effects of Omez D:||Diarrhea, headache, abdominal pain, dizziness, dry mouth, rashes, and flatulence.|
|Precautions of Omez D:||People with osteoporosis, allergy, and hypersensitivity should avoid this medicine.|
The medicine is also used to treatment Zollinger Ellison Syndrome and Gastroparesis. Omez D Capsule is manufactured in India by Dr. Reddy’s Laboratory.
Uses and Benefits of Omez D:
Omez D Capsule may be used for treating nausea and acidity. Apart from this, the following health conditions are also treated using this medicine:
- Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD): This drug is used to treat symptoms associated with GERD as it inhibits excessive acidic production in the stomach and prevents acid reflux.
- Motion Sickness: The medicine is used to treat motion sickness as it contains Domperidone which is known to be an effective antiemetic. It acts on the vomiting center in the brain and controls nausea and vomiting in patients discomfort from motion sickness.
- Gastric Ulcer: This drug is known to effective in treating gastric ulcers.
- Nausea & Vomiting: The medicine contains Domperidone which is used to prevent or treat nausea and vomiting.
- Heartburn: This drug is also used to treat symptoms associated with heartburn as Omez D bears anti-acidic properties.
- Zollinger Ellison Syndrome: It is used to treat Zollinger Ellison syndrome which is a condition characterized by excessive acidic secretion in the stomach.
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection: This is a type of bacterial infection which leads to various stomach related ailments. These conditions can be treated by administering this medicine.
- Erosive Esophagitis: This condition is caused due to excessive acidic secretion in the stomach resulting in acid reflux to the esophagus. This drug is used to treat this medical condition.
- Others: This medicine is used by patients discomfort from Gastroparesis. This condition is characterized by delayed emptying of the stomach induced by idiopathy or diabetes.
Side Effects of Omez D:
The following are the side effects of Omez D Capsule:
- Abdominal Pain
- Increased chances of bone fracture
- Allergic reactions like rashes, swelling of eyes, face, lips, mouth or tongue
- Loss of consciousness
- May inhibit the absorption of vitamin B12
Common Dosage of Omez D:
The dosage of Omez D Capsule is prescriptive by the doctor based on the patient’s age, weight, mental condition, and allergic history. The commonly prescriptive Omez D Capsule is one Capsule a day, to be taken on an empty stomach before having breakfast. It is advisable not to alter of the drugs without proper medical consultation.
- Missed Dosage: In case an Omez D Capsule is missed, it is advised to take the dosage as soon as it is remembered. In case the dosage is remembered when it is almost time for the next dosage, one should take the next scheduled dosage on time.
- Overdosage: In case the patient has taken an overdosage of the medicine, it is important to consult the doctor immediately to prevent possible side effects and discomfort arising out of overdosing.
Composition and Nature of Omez D:
The key ingredients present in Omez D Capsule are as follows:
- Domperidone (30 mg) : Domperidone is an active ingredient present in Omez D. It is a pro-kinetic agent which works on the upper digestive tract to increase the movement in the stomach and intestines, allowing the food to pass through the stomach easily. It is also an antiemetic that helps in treating and preventing nausea and vomiting.
- Omeprazole (20 mg) : Omeprazole is an ingredient present in Omez D Capsule which is a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) by nature. It works by inhibiting the amount of acidic being produced in the stomach. This helps to relieve acid-related indigestion and heartburn.
How to Use Omez D Capsule?
Omez D Capsule is primarily used to prevent or treat acidity, heartburn, nausea, and vomiting. The medicine is known to work for both pain and fever as well.
The medicine should be taken as per the prescriptive by the doctor.
The Capsule should be swallowed as a whole, without chewing, crushing or breaking it.
It should preferably be taken on an empty stomach before having breakfast. A gap of at least 30 minutes must be kept between the medicine and a meal.
How Omez D Capsule Works?
Omez D Capsule contains two active ingredients which form the main constituents of the medicine:
- Omeprazole: Omeprazole is classified as a PPI which works by getting ionized to its active form (sulfenamide group) rapidly when it is exposed to the acidic environment of the stomach. This reduces the amount of acidic in the stomach which in turn reduces acid-related indigestion and heartburn.
- Domperidone: This sulfenamide group forms a covalent bond with the SH (Sulfhydryl) group of PPI and blocks it irreversibly, thereby blocking the acidic secretion. It also improves the functioning of the stomach and the intestines, allowing the food to move easily through the stomach.
When is it Prescribed?
Omez D Capsule is a PPI that is prescriptive by the doctor to cure stomach-related disorders like GERD, motion sickness, gastric ulcers, heartburn, and increased acidic secretion in the stomach.
The two main active ingredients present in the medicine are extremely helpful in promoting overall health and the functioning of the stomach and the intestines. Apart from the above-mentioned diseases, medicine also cures gastroparesis.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid It?
It is important to inform the doctor in advance about any ongoing medicines, or any pre-existing diseases before starting the course of the medicine.
Patients are considered to consult the doctor before administering Omez D Capsule in case of the following health conditions:
- Kidney and Liver-Related Disorders
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
The patient should complete the full course of the treatment to avoid symptoms from recurring.
Consumption of alcohol must be avoided during the course of this medicine.
Elderly patients are considered to exercise caution while administering Omez D.
Interactions with Omez D Capsule:
The effects and efficacy of Omez D Capsule may change if a person is using other over-the-counter products during its course. It is considered to share the complete medical history as well as the medicines being administered with the doctor so as to avoid the occurrence of any interactions with the drug.
Interactions with Medicines
The following drugs are known to interact with Omez D Capsule:
Interactions with Diseases
Patients with the following health conditions are considered to avoid using Omez D Capsule:
- Liver and kidney disorders: It is not recommended to be used by patients discomfort from any liver or kidney-related disorders. In case it is prescriptive by the doctor, regular monitoring of the liver/kidney function may be considered.
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Omez D or any of its ingredients, the use of this medicine should be avoided completely.
- Heart diseases: Patients with a known history of congestive heart failure should not take Omez D Capsule.
- People with obstructive intestinal diseases are also considered to not use Omez D Capsule as it may result in severe complications.
- Osteoporosis: Use of the medicine is not recommended by patients discomfort from osteoporosis.
- Patients having an electrolyte imbalance are considered against the use of this drug.
Substitutes of Omez D Capsule:
- Ocid DSR Capsule – manufactured – Zydus Healthcare Ltd.
- Omeday D Capsule – manufactured – Biovitamins Pvt. Ltd.
- Oskar DSR Capsule – manufactured – Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Ome RD Capsule – manufactured by – Blue Cross.
Medicine that should not be taken with Omez D:
The following drugs are known to react with Omez D Capsule:
Omez D Price in India:
|Omez D Capsule (strip of 15 Capsules)||INR 141.50/-|
How to Store Omez D?
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
- It is advisable to store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from direct heat and sunlight.
- The packaging of the medicines must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
1) What is Omez D Capsule used to treat?
Ans: Omez D Capsule belongs to the category of drugs known as PPI which are used to treat stomach-related disorders such as GERD, Zollinger Ellison syndrome, motion sickness, and gastric ulcers, etc. The medicine is known to inhibit the level of acid in the stomach.
2) What are the side effects of Omez D Capsule?
Ans: This Capsule does not produce major side effects but it may cause mild side effects in some cases. A few of the most commonly occurring side effects are:
- Abdominal Pain
- Dry mouth
- Increased Chances of bone fracture
- Decreased absorption of Vitamin B12
3) Is it safe to use Omez D?
Ans: Yes, Omez D Capsule is safe for most patients but it may cause some commonly occurring side effects such as diarrhea, stomach pain, dryness of the mouth. It is considered to inform the doctor in case any of these side effects are being experienced.
4) What are the contraindications of Omez D Capsule?
Ans: It should not be used by patients discomfort from the following health conditions:
- Liver and kidney related disorders
- Heart-related ailments
- Obstructive intestinal diseases
- Fluctuations in electrolyte levels
- Pregnancy and lactating females
5) What is the best time to take Omez D?
Ans: It is generally advised to take Omez D Capsule on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes prior to having breakfast. For case-specific recommendations, it is considered to consult a doctor.
6) Can the use of Omez D cause abnormal heartbeat?
Ans: Yes, the use of Omez D Capsule may cause an abnormal heartbeat and lead to a condition known as arrhythmias.
7) Does the consumption of Omez D Capsule cause dry mouth?
Ans: Yes, the use of this Capsule may cause dry mouth in some cases. This is because Domperidone, present in these medicines bears dehydrating tendencies. It is advised to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated during the course of the medicine. It is advised to cut down the consumption of alcohol and avoid smoking while administering the medicines.
8) What is the recommended storage condition for Omez D Capsule?
Ans: The Omez D Capsule should be stored using the following tips:
- It is important to keep the medicine in its original packaging to maintain its efficacy.
- In order to avoid any accidental consumption and consequent side effects, it is best to keep Omez D out of reach of children and pets.
- Omez D should be kept away from direct heat and sunlight.
9) Is it safe to consume alcohol during the course of Omez D?
Ans: Consumption of alcohol should be avoided during the course of Omez D Capsule as it is known to cause excessive sleepiness in some cases and consuming alcohol may intensify these symptoms.
10) What is the time taken by a single dose of Omez D to show its effect in the body?
Ans: It starts to show its effect within 30 minutes to one hour following its oral administration. The medicine reaches its peak effects within two hours of administration.
11) What should one do in case a dosage of Omez D is missed?
Ans: In case a dosage of Omez D is missed, it is advised to consume as soon as it is remembered. One should skip the missed dosage if it is almost time for the next scheduled dosage as taking a double dosage may result in drug toxicity or overdosage.