Olix ointment is an immunosuppressive drug. This medicine lowers the body’s ability to reject a transplanted organ by suppressing the production of interleukin. This particular drug is commonly used for the treatment of atopic dermatitis (mild to moderate) in pediatric patients. In some cases, the transplanted organs might include the liver, kidney, heart, and more. One can make use of this ointment as a topical drug. It means that one can apply this medicine or ointment on the top of the skin in the affected area. After applying this ointment to the affected area, your body will start absorbing this drug in a limited amount. This medicine helps in curing skin diseases like eczema, some other transplanted organs such as kidneys, liver, and heart.
Uses & Benefits of Olix Ointment:
Olix Ointment is used for the treatment of Atopic Dermatitis (moderate to severe) in children and adults who have normal immune systems, and have not responded to other topical treatments.
Olix ointment is also prescribed to organ transplant patients to reduce the immune response of the body and make it easier for the body to adjust itself with the newly transplanted organ.
Olix Ointment may also be used for the intentions that are not pointed out here.
Side Effects of Olix Ointment:
In addition to its intended effect, Olix Ointment may also cause some severe side effects and result in major complications. Not all side effects are severe but some of the side effects are impermanent and fade away with time. Here is a list of some potential side effects that possibly will arise after using Olix Ointment. These side-effects are possible but do not always occur. Some of the side effects may be uncommon but complicated. In such cases, you must try to find medical attention right away without any delay.
The following side effects may be observed whenever you make use of the Olix ointment:
- Itching or burning sensation
- Abdominal pain
- Irritation of the skin
- The skin turns out to be red
- Skin infection
- Hallucinations [People might experience that involves the clear perception of something that doesn’t occur]
- Nausea or Vomiting sensation
- Loss of hunger
- A headache
- Weight loss
- Renal Injury
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Bump in feet or lower legs
- Body pains
- Scaly skin
- Blurred vision
- Weight loss
- Horrible Sweating
- Brain illness
Consult your doctor immediately if you experience any of these aforementioned side effects, particularly if they do not go away in a short span of time. Contact your doctor even if you monitor any other side effects that are not listed above. Olix Ointment may perhaps also root the side-effects that are not included in this post.
Common Dosage of Olix Ointment:
If you miss the dose of Olix ointment then, you need to apply it whenever you remember. In case, you forget the first dosage, just skip the missed dose. However, there is no risk even if you miss a single dosage. In case, if the dosage becomes over, you may not witness the improvement in your symptoms of this disease. If the dosage becomes over, you can contact your doctor immediately. Usually, the doctor advises the patients to apply this ointment twice a day to the affected location.
Composition and Nature of Olix Ointment:
Olix Ointment comprises Tacrolimus as an active ingredient with a composition of 0.1 percentages. This ointment is available as a package of 10 Grams of the Olix ointment. The strength of this active ingredient is 0.1%. Besides this composition and the strength, Olix ointment might also be available in different strengths and compositions.
How to Use Olix 0.1% Ointment?
One can make use of the Olix ointment to apply it to the affected area. The patients need to make use of this ointment as per the dosage and the time duration prescribed by the health physician. One must read the label present on the ointment in order to understand the directions prior to using this medicine. Before applying this ointment, you need to clean the affected area and dry it. You must massage the ointment on the affected location in a gentle manner. Try to wash your hands before and after applying the ointment.
How does Olix 0.1% Ointment work?
Olix ointment is an immunosuppressive drug that abates the immune system of the body in order to make it easier for the body to regulate itself with the newly transplanted organ (Ex: heart, kidney, liver). Olix Ointment works by binding to definite receptors on T-cells and by restraining the discharge of cytokines. This ointment has the ability to give relief from itching sensation and in turn, enhances the improvement of rashes that causes due to atopic dermatitis.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Olix Ointment?
Follow the precautions one must utilize before the application of Olix ointment:
- One should not consume this medicine through the mouth. Try to contact your health physician prior to using this ointment on the open injuries and sunburned skin.
- One must and should wash their hands before and after the application of Olix ointment on the affected area. Before applying the medicine, you need to keep your skin dry and clean.
- If you apply this ointment in an excessive amount then, it might lead to side effects.
- Try to apply this ointment in a thinner layer.
- Do not apply this medication in your mouth, nose or eyes.
Substitutes for Olix 0.1% Ointment:
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition as Olix Ointment, and hence can be used as its substitute.
- Kivitro Ointment
Olix 0.1% Ointment Interactions with Other Drugs:
If you intake the medication alongside the medicine for the treatment of Eczema, it becomes an interaction with Olix ointment. It might not show its impact on the skin disease of the patient. Here are some of the major interactions of the Olix ointment with drugs, diseases, food, and other lab tests. Check out the interactions listed below:
The major disease interaction with Olix ointment is Diabetes Mellitus. If you use this medicine alongside the Olix ointment then, it might lead to a condition namely post-transplant insulin diabetes mellitus. The doctors must keep an eye on the insulin levels of the patients on a regular basis. It is also necessary to keep monitoring closely the glucose levels of diabetic patients.
- Neomycin is a medicine that becomes an interaction with the Olix ointment. It might enhance the jeopardy of kidney disease if taken this medicine alongside the ointment. You need to inform your physician if you get some painkillers. Try to inform your doctor if you experience any of the symptoms such as weight gain, swelling, urine color change and more.
- Amlodipine shows a massive impact on the Olix ointment. If you take antihypertensive such as Amlodipine then, it might show a massive impact on the ointment. If you have any symptoms such as a headache, fatigue, diarrhea and more, you need to contact your doctor immediately.
- Carbamazepine is another drug that might interact with the Olix ointment. Whenever you make use of this medicine, it might show some symptoms such as weakness, headache, diarrhea and more. The doctor will then make some dosage adjustments to evade the symptoms in an individual.
- If you consume some of the live vaccines then, it might enhance the jeopardy of growing infections.
Advice from the Specialist:
Here are some of the best suggestions given by the experts to the patients who use Olix ointment.
- This ointment helps in treating some disease conditions such as eczema or atopic dermatitis.
- This medicine helps in reducing the itching sensation, skin rashes and redness of the skin.
- You must apply a thin layer of Olix ointment to the affected area.
- You should not cover the affected area after applying the ointment.
- Once the dosage period is completed, you need to stop the usage and contact your doctor immediately.
Some of the people might have questions and doubts about the Olix ointment. If you have numerous queries about this medicine and are looking forward to getting solutions, we have listed them in this post. Here are some of the commonly asked questions related to the Olix 0.1% Ointment listed below:
Ans: This ointment is not advisable for those who are pregnant.
Ans: One who is breastfeeding their kids shouldn’t be used by the mothers.
Ans: No, the Olix ointment doesn’t become an addiction even after using it on a frequent basis.
Ans: The Olix 0.1% ointment has received approval in different countries that including India, Japan, and the United States.
Ans: Even if you apply the Olix ointment to the affected area, it doesn’t cause sleepiness and drowsiness in the patients. There is no harm even if you drive a vehicle or operate heavy machinery after applying for this medicine.
Ans: The Olix ointment may not be able to cure mental diseases in some people. This medication is solely responsible for curing skin disease.
Ans: As of now, there is no information regarding the interaction of Olix ointment with food as well as alcohol.
Ans: In case, you miss the dosage of Olix ointment, it might take some more time for the reduction of your skin disease.
Ans: Yes, there are some contradictions to the Olix 0.1% ointment. Allergy is the major contradiction of Olix ointment. Some other contradictions include increased blood pressure, hyperthermia, liver disease, infections, Type 2 Diabetes, and more.
Ans: The Olix ointment is a topical drug that must be applied to the affected area of the skin.