Manufactured by Medley Pharmaceuticals, O2 Tablet is an antibiotic that is used to treat a number of bacterial infections. The tablet with Ofloxacin and Ornidazole as its active ingredients helps to treat symptoms associated with urinary tract infections, skin infections, respiratory infections, protozoan infections, vaginal infections, sexually transmitted infections and typhoid infection.
|Nature of O2 Tablet:||Antibiotic (Fluoroquinolones)|
|Uses of O2 Tablet:||Anthrax, pneumonia, chronic bronchitis, gonorrhoea, tuberculosis|
|Composition of O2 Tablet:||Ofloxacin and Ornidazole|
|Side Effects of O2 Tablet:||Headache, Allergic skin reactions, Pain in abdomen, Emesis, Vaginitis, Tremors, Tastelessness|
|Precautions of O2 Tablet:||Pregnancy, Lactation, Hypersensitivity, Liver Damage, Kidney Diseases, Blood Disorders, Hypoadrenalism, Hypothyroidism, Cardiac Disease,|
Tendon Issue, Myasthenia Gravis, Neurological Disorders
Composition and Nature of O2 Tablet:
O2 tablet is an antibiotic drug that contains ornidazole (200 mg) and ofloxacin (500 mg) as its active ingredients.
Uses and Benefits of O2 Tablet:
O2 tablets are prescribed for the treatment and the prevention of the following conditions:
- Bacterial infection
- Ear infection
- Eye infection
- Protozoan infections
- Respiratory infections
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Skin infections
- Soft tissue infections
- Typhoid fever
- Urinary tract infections
- Vaginal infections
Side Effects of O2 Tablet:
Some of the side effects that one may experience after taking O2 Tablet include:
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal taste
- Allergic skin reaction
- Severe itching of the skin
- Severe itching of skin
Patients experiencing any of these side effects should consult a doctor at the earliest.
O2 Tablet Dosage:
The patient should administer O2 Tablet in accordance to the dose and duration prescribed by the doctor. The dosage may vary depending on the severity of the ailment to be treated. A few other factors that help in deciding the dosage are the BMI of the patient, age of the patient and other underlying health concerns.
- Missed Dosage: Patients should take the missed dose as soon as it is remembered. However, it is advisable not to take the missed dose if it is almost time for the next dose.
- Overdose: Overdose may show serious side effects or drug toxicity and thus it is advised to refrain from taking an overdose. However, if overdosage is suspected, one must consult a doctor to seek immediate remedial action.
How O2 Tablet Works?
O2 Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called fluoroquinolones (a type of antibiotic). O2 Tablet contains ornidazole and ofloxacin. It works as a bactericidal drug. The drug inhibits the bacterial DNA gyrase enzyme, which is essential for DNA replication, transcription, repair, and recombination; thus, leading to expansion and destabilization of the bacterial DNA and treating the infection.
How to Use O2 Tablet?
O2 Tablet should be consumed as per the prescription of the doctor. One must not increase or decrease the dosage without consulting a doctor. It is advised to swallow O2 Tablet as a whole, without chewing, crushing or breaking it.
O2 Tablet is recommended to be taken orally with a glass of water, preferably with food or immediately after food to prevent any undesirable effect, especially in patients suffering from gastric disorders.
Precautions and Warnings Related To O2 Tablet:
Some of the precautions that one needs to keep in mind while taking O2 include the following:
- Hypersensitivity: Use of O2 Tablet is not recommended in patients with a known allergy to any of its constituents.
- Kidney Disease: O2 Tablet shows severe side side-effects in patients with an impaired kidney. It should be used with extra care and caution in patients having a kidney related disorder. Appropriate dose adjustment and close monitoring of kidney function may be prescribed in such cases.
- Pregnancy: O2 Tablet may show adverse effects on the fetus. For this reason, the use of O2 Tablet in pregnant women should be avoided unless advised by a doctor and if potential benefits outweigh the risks.
- Breastfeeding: O2 Tablet is not known to pass to the child through the breast-milk in large amounts but may cause side effects such as diarrhea in the nursing infant. Hence, use of O2 Tablet should be avoided by the ladies during their lactation period unless prescribed by the doctor.
- Liver Disease: In patients suffering from liver-related ailments, O2 Tablet may show severe side-effects. Hence, it should be used with extra care and caution in patients having a known history of liver disease. Appropriate adjustment to the dose and close monitoring of liver function parameters should be taken into account in such cases.
- QT Prolongation: O2 Tablet has been reported to cause discomfort in the chest. It is thus advisable for patients suffering from QT prolongation (or any other cardiac disease) to avoid the use of O2 Tablet. They must consult a doctor for case-specific recommendations.
A few other points of concern are:
- O2 Tablet should only be taken as per the doctor’s prescription and the dosage schedule should be strictly followed.
- Self-medication is strictly prohibited with O2 Tablet.
- O2 Tablet can be consumed with or without food. However, to minimize the risk of side effects, one should always take the tablet after having a meal.
- O2 Tablet should never be consumed with alcohol as it may lead to severe complications.
- Keep O2 tablets at room temperatures away from direct sunlight and moisture.
- Co-administration of dairy products and O2 tablet should be avoided as it may result in adverse effects.
Use of O2 Tablet should be avoided by patients suffering from the following conditions:
- Neurological disorders
- Tendon problems
- Myasthenia Gravis (Abnormal Weakness of Muscles)
- Blood Disorders
Substitutes of O2 Tablet:
Some of the common substitutes of O2 tablet include the following:
- Qmax OZ 200mg/500 mg Tablet – manufactured by Alkem Ltd
- Loobid 200mg/500 mg Tablet – manufactured by Cachet Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Oraflox OZ Tablet – manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd
- Ornof Tablet – manufactured by Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Brakke Tablet – manufactured by Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Zanocin Oz Tablet – manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Oflomac OZ Tablet – manufactured by Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Orni-O Tablet – manufactured by ZydusCadila
- Oflox OZ Tablet – manufactured by Cipla Ltd
- Zil-O Tablet – manufactured by Abbott
O2 Tablet Interactions:
A drug may interact with another drug, disease, or food items and beverages and may result in the occurrence of adverse effects. Some of the drug, disease, or food items and beverages that are known to interact with O2 tablets include:
Interactions with drugs:
- Anti-diabetic Agents
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Drugs metabolized by Cytochrome P450 enzymes
Interaction with alcohol:
Interaction of O2 Tablet with alcohol may result in adverse effects. Hence it is advisable to discontinue the consumption of alcohol during the course of O2 Tablet.
O2 Tablet should not be consumed in case of:
- Central nervous system disorders: O2 tablet reacts with the central nervous system and may cause confusion, restlessness, anxiety, tremors, and hallucinations. Patients should not consume products that contain caffeine such as chocolates, coffee, and energy drinks.
- Colitis : O2 tablets react with the colitis and may cause abdominal pain, diarrhea and blood in the stool . It may also cause gastrointestinal diseases and it is important to drink enough water as this drug interaction may cause dehydration.
- QT Prolongation : O2 tablet reacts with QT prolongation and may cause discomfort in the chest. Also, it is advisable to undergo cardio function tests if there is a history of heart disease in the family.
- Corticosteroids : O2 tablet reacts with corticosteroids and may cause swelling, pain or inflammation in the shoulder, thumb, ankle or hand. It is more likely to take place in elderly individuals who have undergone heart or kidney transplant.
It is recommended to stop consuming dairy products during the course of O2 tablets.
When is O2 Tablet Prescribed?
O2 Tablet is an antibiotic, used for curing a number of bacterial infections. It is usually prescribed to treat infectious diarrhea, typhoid, urinary tract infections, pneumonia, bronchitis, inhalational anthrax, skin infections, and various other bacterial infections. Doctors may also prescribe this medicine to cure certain protozoan infections.
Variants of O2 Tablet:
Variants of O2 are:
- O2 Tablet
- O2 M Oral Suspension
- O2 Suspension
- O2 200mg/ 500mg Infusion
O2 Tablet is available in both tablet as well as suspension form. Suspension form is available in the following compositions:
- O2 M Suspension – Ofloxacin (100mg/5ml) + Metronidazole (200mg/5ml)
- O2 Oral Suspension – Ofloxacin (50mg/5ml) + Ornidazole (125mg/5ml)
Medicines That Should Not be Taken with O2 Tablet:
Taking O2 Tablet in combination with other over the counter medicines, herbal medicines or vitamin supplements may increase the risk of side effects. A few drugs that should never be taken with O2 Tablet are:
- Vecuronium bromide
- Tricyclic antidepressants
O2 Tablet Price in India:
|Variant||Price (in INR)||Quantity|
|O2 Tablet||119||10 Tablets|
How to Store O2 Tablet?
It is advisable to store O2 Tablet in a cool and dry place away from direct heat and sunlight. One must keep O2 Tablet away from the reach of children and pets. The packaging of this medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1) How long does the effect of O2 tablet last?
Ans: The effect of O2 tablet lasts between 12 to 20 hours. Consult a doctor before taking O2 Tablet.
2) How much time does it take for the O2 tablet to start working?
Ans: It takes 1 or 2 hours for the effects of O2 Tablet to start showing. However, if O2 Tablet does not help in improving one’s condition then one must consult a doctor at the earliest.
3) Is this O2 Tablet addictive?
Ans: There are no studies that suggest that O2 Tablet is addictive or habit forming.
4) Can O2 tablet be consumed while breast-feeding?
Ans: No, O2 Tablet is not recommended to be consumed while breast-feeding since it can affect the development of the child’s joints. Some of the other undesired effects include diaper rashes and diarrhoea.
5) Can O2 Tablet help reduce stomach infections?
Ans: Yes, O2 Tablet can help treat stomach infections effectively as it is an antibiotic drug that can counter bacterial infections. Additionally, it can be used to treat diarrhoea and indigestion.
6) I have a cold. Can O2 tablet provide relief?
Ans: No, O2 tablet is not recommended to treat viral infections such as influenza and flu.
7) Is it safe to drive after consuming O2 Tablet?
Ans: Yes, it is safe to drive after consuming O2 Tablet. However, if the consumption of this medicine causes drowsiness, then one must avoid driving.
8) What are the components of O2 tablet?
Ans: The components of the antibiotic drug O2 tablet are ornidazole and ofloxacin.
9) I missed a dose of O2 tablet. What should I do?
Ans: In case you have missed a dose of O2 tablet then you must take it as soon as you remember.
10) Can I stop taking O2 Tablet if my symptoms of infection are relieved?
Ans: No. It is not recommended to alter the dose and duration of the medicine You should continue taking O2 Tablet for the specific time for which the doctor has prescribed O2 Tablet. If your symptoms are relieved, you may consult a doctor before discontinuing it.
11) Are O2 Tablets safe to use in pregnancy?
Ans: O2 Tablet has been reported for showing adverse effects on the fetus. For this reason, the use of O2 Tablet in pregnant women should be avoided unless potential benefits outweigh the risks. It is advisable to consult the doctor for case-specific recommendations.
12) Can I consume O2 Tablet while suffering from jaundice?
Ans: No, administering O2 tablets is known to cause adverse side effects on the liver and thus patient suffering from jaundice are not advised to consume this drug.
13) Can I take O2 Tablet to treat cold and cough?
Ans: No, O2 Tablet is an antibiotic which treats infections and ailments caused by bacteria. Since cold and cough are caused due to viral infections, this bactericidal drug will not provide the desired result for such infections. Consult a doctor for an appropriate remedial action.
14) What factors affect the prescribed dosage of O2 Tablet?
Ans: The dosage of O2 Tablet varies patient to patient. A few factors that help in determining the appropriate dosage are:
- Severity of the infection
- Age of the patient
- BMI of the patient
- Interaction with other medicines
- Ongoing health concerns such as liver diseases, pregnancy, blood pressure, etc.
15) Is O2 Tablet a narcotic substance or a steroid?
Ans: O2 Tablet is neither a narcotic substance nor a steroid. It is an antibiotic that belongs to the class of drugs known as Fluoroquinolones.