Monticope Tablet is an antihistamine drug used in the treatment of various seasonal allergies and to control the allergic symptoms like watery eyes, runny nose, hives, and sneezing. Monticope Tablet needs to be taken orally and is available in the market in both the forms: Tablet and solution. Monticope can be taken in a combination therapy, which means that Monticope can be taken with other medications, or with or without food. Monticope is manufactured in India by Mankind Pharma.
|Nature of Monticope Tablet:||Antihistamine|
|Uses of Monticope Tablet:||Allergic rhinitis, urticaria and asthma|
|Composition of Monticope Tablet:||Levocetirizine and montelukast|
|Side effects of Monticope Tablet:||A headache, stomach ache, fever and diarrhoea|
|Precautions:||Allergy, kidney disease|
Uses and Benefits of Monticope:
Uses of Monticope are many and is not limited to just one. Some of the commonly known uses are:
- Hay fever
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis
- Year-round allergies
- Perennial allergic rhinitis
- Chronic Asthma
- Symptoms of allergic conditions
- Itchy weals
- Exercise-induced Asthma
- Allergy to dust or pets
- Mucous membrane inflammation
- Skin swelling
Side Effects of Monticope Tablet:
Every medicine produces some side effects, depending on its interaction with other chemicals or diseases. Monticope is also not sans side effects. Though the side effects are not of a serious nature, the users have reported some major side effects of Monticope Tablet. Some of them are:
- A cough
- Skin Rashes
- Stuffy Nose
- A sore throat
- Dry mouth
- Unstable sleeping patterns
There may be some other side effects of Monticope Tablet. Consult your doctor, in case, the severity of the side effects increases.
Common Dosage of Monticope:
There is no fixed dosage of Monticope Tablet for each and every patient. The bodily condition and severity of disease define the dosage to be given. The most common dosage is once a day. The doctor may decide the dosage of Monticope tablet, depending upon the patient’s condition and age.
Composition and Nature of Monticope:
Monticope belongs to the category of antihistamines. There are two active ingredients in Monticope Tablet:
- Levocetirizine (5 Mg)
- Montelukast (10 Mg)
Monticope Price in India:
- Monticope tablet: 99.9 INR
- Monticope A tablet SR: 128.83 INR
- Monticope suspension(Bottle of 30ml): 40 INR
- Monticope suspension(Bottle of 60ml): 69.9 INR
- Monticope-kid tablet: 57.09 INR
Monticope Kid Tablet:
Monticope is a combination medicine that is used for treating allergic symptoms that are caused due to seasonal allergies. These symptoms include itching, sneezing and running nose.
When Monticope is prescribed?
As monticope tablet is an antihistamine drug that helps to relieve the symptoms like sneezing, hives and other seasonal allergies. Monticope is prescribed for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Allergic rhinitis : Allergic rhinitis or hay fever is a condition characterized by an allergic response to specific allergens. Some of the symptoms associated with the condition include sneezing, coughing, stuffy nose, itchy eyes etc. The medicine is usually prescribed to alleviate these symptoms.
- Urticaria : Urticaria or hives are outbreaks of swollen, pale red bumps on the skin caused due to the body’s reaction to certain allergens. It causes itching and burns on the skin. Antihistamines like monticope are the first line of treatment for hives as they work by suppressing histamines, chemicals produced by the immune system that stimulates the symptoms of allergy.
- Asthma : It is a chronic disease that affects the airways. In this condition, the inside walls of the airways become swollen. Monticope may be prescribed to alleviate the associated symptoms.
How to use Monticope?
The dosage of Monticope depends on the age, the severity of the condition and receptivity to the medicine. Patients should inform their doctor about their medical history, medical condition and certain conditions like pregnancy or kidney disorder. Monticope can be taken with food or without food. Also, it is always better to take Monticope Tablet during the evening in order to prevent drowsiness. One should make sure that they should take an overdose of the medicine.
How Monticope works?
The two substances in the Monticope Tablet performs two major works and gives relief to the patient. The two major works are:
Reduction in the swelling of the airways, thereby, making the breathing easier.
Blocking of a natural chemical messenger, Histamine, thus reducing the allergic reactions.
Warnings/Precautions – When to avoid Monticope?
Monticope Tablet comes packed with some unwritten warnings for use. It is better to disclose before your doctor about your past medical history, recent medical condition, any OTC medicine, herbal supplement, vitamin supplement or medicine that you are taking. There are some special health conditions which need to be monitored before taking Monticope. It is always advisable that you should consult your doctor first before taking the medicine and observe the needed precautions for Monticope Tablet.
- It is best to take Monticope during bedtime.
- Do not drive or operate a heavy machinery.
- Do not take Monticope Tablet if you are already taking any medicine for Asthma.
- Do not take Monticope Tablet if you are suffering from any of the following health conditions: epilepsy, kidney failure, fits etc.
Substitutes for Monticope Tablet:
There are many known and famous substitutes of Monticope Tablet, which are easily available in the market. Some of them are:
- Infinair (Pfizer)
- Lasma LC (Apex)
- Lecope M (Mankind)
- Lekast (UHL)
- Lazine M (Hetero Healthcare)
- Laveta (Alembic)
- Incid Ultra (Bayer Zydus)
- Hista L (Genip Pharma)
- HHLevo M (H & H Labs)
- Levosiz-M (Systopic Lab)
- Solitair (Blue Cross Lab)
- Salphyllin (Lincoln Pharmaceuticals)
- Airlung (Biochem)
There are some drug interactions of Monticope Tablet that needs to be observed well before taking Monticope tablet. To avoid experiencing the side effects of the Monticope interactions, tell your doctor all about all the medicines you are taking, or if had any long medical history.
The major drugs with which the Monticope Tablet is known to interact are:
There are some associated contraindications of the medicine as well. If someone has the following health conditions, he/she needs to either avoid taking the medicine, or they need to consult their doctor first before taking Monticope. The associated health conditions are:
- Children less than 6 years of age
- Renal impairment of severe kind
Variants of Monticope:
The following are the variants of Monticope
- Monticope A tablet SR
- Monticope suspension
- Monticope-kid tablet
Monticope Suspension form:
The monticope suspension is a combination of two medicines, levocetirizine and montelukast that relieves sneezing and runny nose caused due to allergies. Levocetirizine is an antiallergic that blocks the chemical messenger causing the allergic symptoms. Montelukast is a leukotriene antagonist that blocks the chemical messenger that reduces inflammation in the airways and nose. It is used for treating hay fever, asthma and swelling in the skin.
Patients should be cautious while driving and consumption of alcohol as it causes drowsiness and sleepiness.
Medicines that should not be taken with Monticope:
There are chances that medicines can influence each other by producing an increased effect, exhibiting side effects or by reducing the effectiveness of one of the drugs. Here is the list of medicines that should be avoided while taking with Monticope.
How to store Monticope?
Monticope Tablet should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and light. Do not freeze Monticope unless mentioned in the packaging. It is advised to keep the medicine at places where children cannot reach it.
In case of disposal, do not flush Monticope or pour them into the drainage(suspension form) unless told by the doctor. The medicines discarded in this manner can contaminate the environment. Patients should consult the doctor as to how the medicine should be discarded.
When to take Monticope?
There is no fixed time to take the Monticope, but it is advisable to take the medicine during the evening as it causes drowsiness. It can be taken with food or without food.
Monticope should be taken before or after Food?
Monticope should be taken with food or even without it. But it shows the best result when taken during the evening as it can prevent drowsiness. It is advisable to increase the fluid intake unless otherwise told by the doctor.
Is it banned in India?
Monticope Tablet is readily available in India. Since it is a prescription only medicine, the patient must consult a doctor before starting its dosage.
1) Is it safe to take Monticope Tablet during pregnancy?
Ans: No, it is not advisable to take Monticope Tablet by a pregnant woman, without prior consultation with the doctor.
2) Name the most common diseases for which Monticope is generally used?
Ans: Allergic conditions and Asthma are the two bodily health conditions for the treatment of which the Monticope Tablet is specifically used. But consultation with the doctor is always required before the intake of Monticope Tablet.
3) When does a person see an improvement in his/her condition after taking Monticope?
Ans: A person sees an improvement in his/her condition from 1 day to 3 months. Some allergies recover fast, while some other takes some time.
4) Is it safe to take Monticope Tablet by the breastfeeding mothers?
Ans: No, Monticope is not recommended to be taken by breastfeeding mothers, unless recommended by the doctor.
5) At what frequency in the intake of Monticope usually suggested by the doctor?
Ans: Doctor’s frequently recommends the Monticope Tablet to be taken once a day or once a week. Do not take Monticope without prior consultation with the doctor. Different health conditions suggest different frequencies of intake.
6) When is the Monticope Tablet taken – with food, before food or after the food?
Ans: Well, the users of Monticope have reported that they were suggested to take Monticope Tablet after the food intake. But this is just in general. Different medical conditions require different monitoring and consuming patterns.
7) Is it safe to drive or work on a heavy machinery after taking Monticope?
Ans: As always suggested, do not drive or work on a heavy machinery, if you observe any hypotension, dizziness, headache or drowsiness. Even a low blood pressure can be observed after taking the medicine, so it is better to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery for sure.
8) Is the nature of Monticope addictive?
Ans: No, the nature of Monticope Tablet has not been reported addictive by any of its user or by any government organization.
9) Can one stop the intake of Monticope Tablet abruptly, when one sees the improvement in his/her condition?
Ans: No, Monticope tablet is not recommended at all. Some medicines produce a rebound effect when stopped suddenly. It is better to consult any side effect or ease of bodily condition with the doctor before stopping the medicine intake.
10) Is Monticope recommended to the patients with Kidney disease?
Ans: No, Monticope is not recommended for patients with kidney disease. It is not very safe for them.
11) What are the things to keep in mind while taking Monticope suspension?
Ans: Patients should keep the following things in mind while taking monticope suspension:
- One should be cautious while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as it causes dizziness.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol during the medication as it may cause sleepiness.
- During the medication, it is possible that the patient might experience dryness in the mouth. Therefore, it is suggested to maintain proper oral hygiene and increase the intake of water.
- It is suggested to stop the medication at least three days before taking an allergy test as it may affect the results.
12) Does Monticope Tablet cause dryness in the mouth?
Ans: Monticope causes dryness in the mouth as decreases the saliva secretion. This is the common side effect of the medicine. In case if you experience dryness in your mouth keep yourself hydrated with water, juices and other fluids.
13) Is it safe to take Monticope with paracetamol?
Ans: Yes, this combination is absolutely safe as no harmful effects have been reported in this case. However, if after taking this combination you feel uneasiness consult your doctor. But do not discontinue Monticope without speaking to your doctor or until it gets absolute necessary.
14) What are the side effects of the Monticope?
Ans: The side effects of the medicine vary depending upon the age group. For children above the age of 12 years and adults, the common side effects are a sore throat, tiredness and dry mouth. While, children in the age group of 6-11 years may suffer from cough, fever and drowsiness. And children below 6 years may experience vomiting, constipation and vomiting.
Some of the side effects that need immediate doctor’s consultation are:
- Allergic reactions, that cause itching, swelling and rashes
- Problems related to the kidney and changes in urine output
- Blurred vision
- Yellowing of your skin or eyes
- Difficulty in breathing
- Mood swings and suicidal thoughts