Montair FX Tablet belongs to the Leukotriene receptor antagonist group of medicines which is usually prescribed for the treatment of allergy-induced sneezing and runny nose. The medicine may also be prescribed for the treatment of conditions such as asthma and hay fever. The medicine is manufactured by Cipla Ltd.
|Nature||Antileukotriene or Leukotriene receptor antagonist|
|Composition||Montelukast and Fexofenadine|
|Uses||sneezing and runny nose|
|Side-effects||nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, skin rash, flu-like symptoms, headache, drowsiness|
|Precautions||Pregnant women, liver and kidney related ailments|
Uses and Benefits of Montair FX Tablet:
Montair FX is used for the treat and prevention of various conditions and diseases such as –
- Allergic rhinitis – Allergic rhinitis or hay fever is an inflammation of the nose. The condition occurs when the immune system overreacts to the allergens present in the air. Symptoms associated with the condition include sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, red and stuffy nose and swelling around the eyes. Allergic rhinitis is triggered by environmental allergens such as pet hair, dust, pollen or mould.
- Asthma – It is an inflammatory disease of the airways of the lungs. The condition is characterized by blockage of the airways, difficulty in breathing, wheezing, chest tightness and coughing. These symptoms may occur a few times in a day or a few times per week. Also, the condition may become worse at night.
- Bronchospasm – It is a condition characterized by tightening in the muscles that line the airways of the lungs. This tightening leads to narrowing of the bronchi (airways in the lungs) and makes it difficult for the air to come in or go out of the lungs. This limits the amount of oxygen that enters the blood and amount of carbon dioxide that leaves the blood. Some of the symptoms associated with the condition are wheezing, coughing and fatigue.
Apart from the above-mentioned conditions, Montair FX may also be prescribed for the treatment and prevention of conditions such as –
- Exercise-induced Asthma
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis
- Perennial allergic rhinitis
- Allergic skin conditions
Side Effects of Montair FX Tablet:
Some of the side effects associated with the consumption of Montair FX are –
- Flu symptoms
- Skin rash
- Pus in urine
- Agitation and anxiety
- Joint pain
- Swallowing difficulties
- Chest tightness
- Ear pain
- Churg-Strauss syndrome
- Blurred Vision
In case, the side effects persist for a prolonged duration the patients must immediately consult a doctor.
Common Dosage of Montair FX Tablet:
The patients above the age of 15 are usually prescribed a dose of one tablet to be taken once every day. The frequency and duration of taking the medicine may depend upon the age and health condition of the patient.
- Missed Dose : A missed dose of Montair FX tablet must be taken as soon as it is remembered. If it is already the time to take the next dose, the previous dose must be skipped. It is advisable to take the dose on time and the patient should not take an extra dose in order to make up for the missed dose.
- Overdose : Consuming more than the prescribed dose of medicine may do more harm than good to the body. The medicine may not work effectively to cure the condition it has been prescribed for. Therefore, overdosing of Montair FX tablets must be avoided. Also, if an overdose is suspected, the patients must immediately consult a doctor.
Composition and Nature of Montair FX Tablet:
Montair FX is a leukotriene receptor antagonist and comprises of two main ingredients, namely Montelukast and Fexofenadine.
- Montelukast (10 MG) – Montelukast is a leukotriene receptor antagonist (LTRA) used for the treatment and prevention of asthma along with relieving the symptoms of seasonal allergies.
- Fexofenadine (120 MG) – It is a non-sedating H1 antihistamine. Fexofenadine is a pharmacologically active metabolite of terfenadine.
Precaution and Warning – When to Avoid Montair FX Tablet?
The following precautions and warnings must be adhered to while administering Montair FX –
- The patients must inform the doctor about any medicines or herbal products they have been consuming presently.
- The doctor must also be informed about any ongoing medical treatment or upcoming surgery.
- The medicine must not be consumed by patients allergic to the constituents of Montair FX tablets.
- Pregnant women may consume Montex FX only if deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor.
- Breastfeeding mothers may consume the medicine only on the advice of a doctor, as it may pass on to the baby through the milk and lay a negative impact on its health.
- The patients administering vitamin/herbal/dietary supplements must consume medicine only on the advice of a doctor.
- Patients suffering from kidney or liver-related ailments are advised to exercise extra caution while administering medicine.
- Patients already administering medicines for the treatment of Asthma are advised not to administer the medicine.
- The medicine should not be administered to children below 6 years.
- The medicine should not be consumed along with fruit or fruit juices as it may lead to severe interactions.
- Elderly patients must stay extra cautious while consuming Montair FX tablets, as their kidneys may not be working very efficiently.
- The patients are advised to avoid the consumption of antacids at least 15 minutes before or after administering the Montair FX tablet.
Substitutes of Montair FX Tablet:
There are many substitutes of Montair FX available in the market with the exact same composition as that of Montair FX tablet. Some of the substitutes available in the market are –
- Monokast FX manufactured by TTK healthcare
- Emlucast FX manufactured by Dr. Reddy’s
- NontegressFx manufactured by La Renon Healthcare
- Lyfokast manufactured by Mars Aventis Lifecare
- Exofen M manufactured by Stallion Laboratories
- Lemon-FM manufactured by Fitwel Pharmaceuticals
- Montlevo manufactured by Cadila Pharmaceuticals
- L hist Mont FX manufactured by Alkem Lab
- Fexokast manufactured by Encore Pharmaceuticals
- Nexofex M manufactured by Emenox healthcare
- Allerfast manufactured by Nri Vision Care
- MinolastFx manufactured by Leeford Healthcare
- Unifair FX manufactured by Somatico Lab
- Histakind manufactured by Mankind Pharma
Montair FX Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
Interaction with medicine –
The medicines with which Montex FX tablets may interact are –
- Magnesium Hydroxide
Interaction with alcohol –
Alcohol, when consumed along with Montair FX, may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness in the patients. Therefore, its consumption must be avoided.
Interaction with diseases –
- Kidney diseases – Patients suffering from kidney related ailments may experience excessive sleepiness after administering Montair FX Tablet. Also, regular monitoring of the kidney function may also be required in such patients.
Montair FX Price in India:
|Montair FX (strip of 10 tablets)||Cipla Ltd||INR 167|
How does Montair FX Tablet work?
Montair FX Tablet works by blocking the activity of chemical messengers that lead to inflammation.
Individual mechanism –
- Montelukast – Montelukast works by blocking the action of leukotriene D4 present on the cysteinyl leukotriene receptor CysLT1 in the airways of the lungs. This action of the medicine reduces the activity of leukotriene which is responsible for the tightening of the airway muscles and for the production of excess mucus in the lungs.
- Fexofenadine – Just like other H1-blockers, Fexofenadine also competes with free histamine for binding to the H1-receptors present in the bronchial smooth muscle, GI tract and large blood vessels. The action of the medicine blocks the activity of endogenous histamine, which leads to temporary relief from the negative symptoms such as nasal congestion and watery eyes brought on by the action of histamines.
How to use Montair FX tablet?
- The medicine must be consumed orally.
- The tablet must not be crushed or chewed before consuming it.
- The medicine must be consumed with or without food as prescribed by the doctor.
- The medicine must be consumed at a fixed time.
When Montair FX Tablet is prescribed?
Montair FX Tablet may usually be prescribed for the treatment of conditions such as –
- Allergic Rhinitis
Medicines that should not be taken with Montair FX
Montair FX must not be consumed with the following medicines –
- Magnesium Hydroxide
How to store Montair FX?
- The medicine must be stored at room temperature away from direct heat and sunlight.
- The medicine must be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- The medicine must be stored at a place where it cannot retain moisture.
1) For how long does the effect of Montair FX medicine last?
Ans: The effect of Montair FX may last for an average of 24 hours. However, this time may vary depending upon the severity of the condition of the patient.
2) How much time does it take for Montair FX to show its effect?
Ans: The Montair FX tablet starts to show its effect within 1-3 hours of its administration. However, this time may vary depending upon the age and severity of a patient’s condition.
3) Is it safe to consume Montair FX during pregnancy?
Ans: No, Montair FX should not be consumed by pregnant women as it may cause harm to the developing fetus. The medicine can be administered by pregnant women if the benefits outweigh the risks and its consumption is deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor.
4) Is it safe to consume Montair FX during breastfeeding?
Ans: Yes, Montair FX is safe to be consumed during breastfeeding as the medicine does not pass on to the child through the milk.
5) Is Montair FX tablet addictive?
Ans: The government in India categorizes medicines into categories like H or X referring to the drugs that may be addictive or cause fetal abnormalities. See the packing of the drug and check if it falls within any such category. However, in the case of Montair FX, its addiction has not been reported so far.
6) When is Montair FX tablet prescribed?
Ans: Montair FX Tablet is usually prescribed for the treatment and prevention of conditions such as allergic rhinitis, asthma and Bronchospasm.
7) Should I take Montair FX tablets before or after food?
Ans: Mostly, doctors recommend Montair FX Tablet to be consumed after the food. This allows the medicine to be absorbed properly by the body.
8) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery immediately after consuming the Montair FX Tablet?
Ans: If a patient feels a little drowsiness, hypotension, headache or dizziness immediately after taking the medicine, one must not drive or operate heavy machinery.
9) What happens with the overdose of Montair FX?
Ans: Taking more medicine than prescribed will not improve your symptoms rather it may cause poisoning or severe side-effects. If you are any of your knowns has overdosed Montair FX tablet, it is advised to immediately consult a doctor. You may also take along the medicine packaging to help doctors for the necessary information.
10) How effective is Montair FX?
Ans: The medicine has proven to be very effective in providing relief against inflammatory conditions such as Asthma, Allergic Rhinitis and Bronchospasm. The medicine works by inhibiting the activity of inflammation-causing chemicals.
11) Is Montair FX available as an over-the-counter (OTC) product?
Ans: Yes, Montair FX is available as an over-the-counter medicine. However, it is strongly suggested that you may consult your doctor before taking the medication on your own, because if you are on some other medicine the drug may interact and cause severe side effects.
12) Does the consumption of Montair FX tablets have any adverse effect on organs?
Ans: If a patient is suffering from kidney related ailments the medicine may showcase altered effects and therefore must be used only on the advice of the doctor.
13) What is the dose of Montair FX that is recommended for adults?
Ans: As per the doctor’s advice, the most commonly recommended dose for adults is one tablet per day, after breakfast.
14) What is the recommended dose of Montair FX for children?
Ans: The doctor may prescribe a comparatively low dose for children depending upon their condition and age. The medicine is not prescribed to the children under the age of 6 years.
15) How long does a person need to be on Montair FX?
Ans: The time period for which a person takes Montair FX depends upon the rate of the patient’s recovery. The doctor may increase or decrease the dose as per the patient’s condition.
16) Who all should refrain from taking Montair FX capsules?
Ans: Patients suffering from liver or kidney related ailments must not consume Montair FX. The medicine has certain components that may interact within the body to produce compounds that may worsen the conditions and make it hard to recover.
17) What are the major components of Montair FX Capsules?
Ans: Montair FX is a leukotriene receptor and comprises of two main ingredients, namely Fexofenadine and Montelukast.
18) Shall a person stop using this product immediately or it has to be slowly weaned off?
Ans: The consumption of Montair FX tablet should only be discontinued on the advice of a doctor. This is because the medicine may not be able to completely eliminate the condition without the completion of its course. Even if a person is taking Montair FX as an Over-the-counter medicine; it is advisable to consult a doctor to be sure of its continuation or discontinuation.
19) What should be done in case a dose is missed?
Ans: It is recommended that if a dose is missed it must be skipped and the schedule is resumed in the normal manner. In case a person misses dose regularly, it is advisable to set alarms or ask any dear one for reminders.
21) Can Montair FX be taken with alcohol?
Ans: Consumption of alcohol with Montair FX is not recommended as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness and induce excessive sleepiness.
22) What happens if I take an expired dose of Montair FX?
Ans: Taking an expired dose of Montair FX may not cause severe side effects but may not prove to be effective against the condition it has been prescribed for. This is because; an expired medicine loses its potency and efficacy. Patients are advised to check the expiry date of the medicine before consuming it.
23) Do I need to avoid particular food items while consuming Montair FX Tablet?
Ans: Consumption of fruit juices and grapefruit must be avoided during the consumption of Montair FX Tablet.