Mintop forte is a formulation that is used for the treatment of hair fall, especially in men. The formulation is a 5 percent Minoxidil solution that acts as a vasodilator. Mintop is manufactured by Dr. Reddy’s laboratory.
|Nature||Hair treatment formulation|
|Composition||Minoxidil (5% w/v)|
|Side effects||Headache, irritation, itching|
Uses and Benefits of Mintop Forte:
The main use of this medicine is to reduce hair loss specifically in men. The medicine may also be prescribed to treat hair thinning in women. Mintop forte may also be used for the treatment of hereditary hair problems.
Read More: Voveran SR 100 Uses | Remylin D Uses
Side effects of the Mintop Forte:
Some of the side effects associated with the application of Mintop Forte are –
- Recurring Headaches
- Frequent episodes of chest pain
- Issues in swallowing
- Instant Itching or burning sensation at the site of application
Read More: HCQS 200 Side Effects | Rablet 20 Side Effects
Common Dosage of Mintop Forte:
The medicine must be applied in time and duration as prescribed by the doctor. The patients may be advised to apply 1ml of 5 percent solution at one time on the affected area.
- Missed Application : If a person misses to apply the medicine, the hair fall and other hair related problems for which it is prescribed may not be treated.
- Over application : Applying more than the recommended dose of the medicine may cause severe side effects and hence must be avoided.
Read More: Ativan 2 Dosages | Stugeron Dosages
Composition and Nature of the Mintop Forte:
The formulation is composed of a 5 percent Minoxidil solution which is used for the treatment of hair loss. The medicine belongs to a class of drugs known as vasodilators which work by widening the blood vessels, eventually leading to improved blood circulation in the scalp.
Read More: Candid B Composition | Bactrim DS Composition
How to use Mintop Forte?
- The patients must clean and dry the scalp prior to applying the medicine.
- The medicine is not recommended to be applied to wet and damp hair.
- To apply the medicine, the patients must fill the applicator with 1 ml of medication or 20 drops.
- The hair must be parted and the solution must be evenly applied to the affected area of the scalp.
- The patients must gently rub the medicine in the scalp or over the affected area.
- The solution must be left to dry completely.
How Mintop Forte works?
Minoxidil present in Mintop Forte 5 percent solutions comes under the class of drugs known as vasodilators. The medicine is a potassium channel opener and helps in the relaxation of blood vessels. The increase in blood flow helps the hair to grow.
When applied topically Minoxidil promotes hair growth in male pattern baldness and alopecia areata. The medicine directly stimulates the resting hair follicles. It also enhances microcirculation around hair follicles and promotes hair growth. It treats hereditary hair problems by altering the androgen effect on the genetically programmed hair follicles.
When Mintop Forte is prescribed?
The medicine is prescribed to promote hair growth in male pattern baldness and in conditions such as alopecia areata. The medicine may also be prescribed to women to stimulate hair growth and prevent thinning of hair.
Precaution and Warning – When to Avoid It?
Following warnings and precautions must be adhered to while administering Mintop Forte solution –
- Patients are advised to carefully read about the active and inactive ingredients of the medicine so that they would know if the formulation contains any ingredients to which they are allergic.
- Patients are advised to inform the doctor about any allergies or skin related problems they suffer from before starting the application of Mintop forte.
- The doctor must also be informed about all the vitamins and mineral supplements being consumed by the patient.
Substitutes for Mintop Forte:
Following are the substitutes of Mintop Forte –
- Tugain 5% Solution manufactured by Cipla Ltd
- Healing Pharma Rephair 5% Topical Solution manufactured by Healing Pharma
- Nixdil Forte Solution manufactured by Biochemix Health Care Pvt. Ltd.
- Regaine 5% Solution manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceuticals
- MX -5 Topical Solution manufactured by Hegde and Hegde Pharmaceutical LLP
- Coverit 5% Solution manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd
- Rootz-M5 Solution manufactured by Apple Therapeutics Pvt Ltd
- Imxia 5 Solution manufactured by KLM Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Minoxy 5% Solution manufactured by Maxamus International
- Scino 5% Solution manufactured by Encore Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Mintop Eva Solution manufactured by Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd
- Chekfall Solution manufactured by Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Minichek Solution manufactured by Abbott
- Morr 5% Solution manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- New Hair 4U 5% Solution manufactured by Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Read More: Rantac Substitutes | Zevit Substitutes
Mintop Forte Interactions with Other Drugs:
Interaction with medicines
Mintop forte is known to interact with the following medicines and hence must not be administered during its course–
Mintop Forte variants:
Following are the variants of Mintop forte –
- Mintop Forte 5% solution
Medicines that should not be taken with Mintop Forte:
Following are the medicines that should not be consumed while administering this medication –
Mintop Forte Price in India:
|Mintop Forte 5 percent solution||Dr. Reddy’s Laboratory||INR 1137|
Read More: Librium 25 Price | Revital H Price
How to store it?
- The medicine must be stored at room temperature.
- The medicine must be kept away from the reach of pets and children.
- The medicine must be kept in a cool and dry place.
Ans: No, the medicine must not be applied to wet hair. Patients are advised to let their dry completely prior to applying Mintop Forte.
Ans: A person may wash his hair every day with shampoo even if he is using this drug. However, patients are advised not to wash their hair within four hours of applying for medicine.
Ans: No, the medicine cannot be used for improving beard growth. The medicine is only used for scalp hair growth in patients with a family history of hair loss.
Ans: No, there is no need to use a particular type of shampoo while using Mintop forte. However, using a mild shampoo may help to increase the effectiveness of the shampoo.
Ans: Mintop Forte 5 percent solution is usually prescribed to treat and prevent hair loss in males. The medicine may also be prescribed to treat an elevated level of blood pressure which is caused by genetic or environmental factors.
Ans: Following are the contraindications associated with the use of Mintop 5 percent solution –
Allergy – Patients allergic to the constituents of Mintop Forte 5% solution are not advised to use this medicine.
Pheochromocytoma – The medicine is not recommended in patients suffering from pheochromocytoma which is a tumour of the adrenal glands.
Ans: Some of the side effects associated with the application of this medicine are –
Chest pain shortness of breath
Redness of skin
Swelling of the feet or lower legs
Irritation of the eye
Tingling of the hands and feet
Ans: The effect of this medicine lasts for an average of 1 to 5 days.
Ans: The effect of this medicine can be observed within 4 to 5 hours of application.
Ans: The medicine may not be safe to be applied by pregnant women. If a woman has to apply for this medicine she must consult with the doctor beforehand.
Ans: Yes, the medicine is safe to be applied by nursing mothers.
Ans: No, the medicine does not cause any harm to the kidney and liver.
Ans: If a person misses the application of Mintop Forte he/she must apply it as soon as they remember it. Missing the application regularly may not show the desired improvement in the patients’ condition.
Ans: No, the medicine is not banned in India and is readily available at all medical stores.
Ans: No, the medicine is not only available in solution form. Mintop Forte is also available in the form of a tablet and cream.
Ans: The medicine is a vasodilator. It works by opening the potassium channels which leads to hyperpolarization and dilation of arterioles. This action of the medicine relaxes the smooth muscles and reduces peripheral vascular resistance; thereby reducing the blood pressure. Mintop forte stimulates hair growth by prolonging the anagen phase of hair growth by promoting the survival of human dermal papillary cells (DPCs).
Ans: Corticosteroids like cortisone, prednisolone may reduce the effect of Mintop Forte 5 percent solution. Therefore, it is advisable for the patients to inform the doctor about the consumption of corticosteroids medicines before starting the dose of Mintop Forte.
Ans: Following are the precautions that must be kept in mind while applying Mintop Forte –
The medicine must not be used if the patient is allergic to the components present in Mintop Forte.
The solution should not be applied over sunburned skin or it may irritate the scalp.
The medicine should not be applied in more than the prescribed dosage.
The medicine must not be used after its expiry date.
The doctor must be consulted if the patient is pregnant or breastfeeding.
Ans: Yes, it can be prescribed to females to treat thinning of hair.
Ans: Yes, the medicine is available in the form of foam.
Ans: No, it is not advisable to apply any other hair creams or cosmetics while administering Mintop Forte as the products may interact with the medicine or affect its absorption through the scalp.
Ans: If you are suffering from eczema or any other condition of the skin, it is advisable to consult the doctor prior to starting the application of the medicine. This is important because the medicine may worsen your condition if it interacts with other medicines.
Ans: Yes, the medicine is a prescription-only drug.