Minipress XL 5 mg tablet belongs to the class of antihypertensive which is used to treat high blood pressure and benign prostatic hypertrophy, and chest tightness. This medicine should be administered carefully as it may cause unconsciousness due to a decrease in the blood pressure . It also helps to control and limit the secretion of norepinephrine and epinephrine. This medicine is manufactured by Pfizer.
|Uses||Congestive heart failure, hypertension, chest pain and high blood pressure|
|Side effects||Abdominal pain, depression, nausea and dizziness|
|Precautions||Pregnancy, breastfeeding, liver and kidney disease|
Uses of Minipress XL Tablet:
The uses of Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet are many and not just one. The popular uses of Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet have been found in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy
- Congestive heart failure
- Chest pain
- High blood pressure
- Raynaud’s disease
- Prostate gland enlargement in men
- Painful cold fingers
Side Effects of Minipress Tablet:
Though the medicine has been found to be safe, but is not sans the possibility of any side-effect. The known side effects of Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet which appears rarely are:
- Swelling of Legs
- Heartbeat increase
- Blurred Vision
- Itchy skin rashes
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Nasal Congestion
- Loss of Bladder Control
- Lack of strength
Dosage of Minipress Tablet:
The dosage of Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet depends on a variety of factors like age, medical condition, and severity of the disease. It is advised that a patient must take this medicine in the quantity and dosage as prescribed by the doctor.
- Missed dose: A missed dose of Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet must be taken as soon as it is remembered. If it is already time to take the next dose, the missed dose must be skipped. It is advised to take the dose on time and the patient should not take an extra dose in order to make up for the missed dose.
- Overdose: Taking more than the prescribed dose of medicine may cause unwanted side effects. Hence, it is necessary to take the proper dose exactly, as prescribed by the doctor.
Composition and Nature of Minipress Tablet:
Minipress XL 5 mg tablet contains only one active ingredient: Prazosin (2.5 Mg). This medicine is an alpha-blocker that reduces the blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels so that blood can flow easily through the body.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Minipress Tablet?
The following precautions and warnings must be adhered to while administering Minipress XL:
- Minipress XL is not recommended to use during pregnancy unless it is deemed absolutely necessary by the doctor.
- The medicine should be used with caution as it can lead to increased risk of temporary loss of consciousness caused by a decrease in the blood pressure.
- Extra caution should be exercised while administering Minipress XL by patients suffering from liver and kidney disease.
- Patients due for a cataract surgery should not take this medicine as it may affect the eye muscle.
Substitutes for Minipress Tablet:
There are many substitutes of Minipress XL tablet in the market, which has the exact same composition and nature as that of the Minipress XL. Some of them are:
- Prazopill XL 5mg tablet manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Renopress XL manufactured by La Renon Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
- Resplend 5 mg tablet manufactured by Goldline
- Prazopress XL manufactured by Sun Pharma Laboratories Ltd.
- Prazocip XL 5 mg tablet XL manufactured by Cipla Ltd.
Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
Every drug tends to interact with some other drugs, food and diseases. It is better to know all the interactions of a particular medicine beforehand, to avoid any possible side effects whatsoever. The major interactions of Minipress XL are:
Interaction With drugs:
- Flugee Tab
- Viagra Tab
- Tazzle Tab
There are some contraindications of Minipress XL. It is advised not to use Minipress XL, if one suffers from any of the following bodily conditions:
- Orthostatic Hypotension
- Interaoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome
- Cataract Surgery
- Allergy to quinazoline analogues.
- Liver Disease
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Angina pectoris
- Hepatic Impairment
Minipress XL Variants:
The medicine is only available in the following variant:
- Minipress XL 2.5 mg tablet
Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet Price in India:
|Medicine Variant||Price (Quantity)|
|Minipress XL 5mg tablet||INR 457.9 (Strip of 30 tablets)|
|Minipress XL 2.5 mg tablet||INR 377.52(Strip of 30 tablets)|
How Minipress Tablet works?
As this is an antagonist, it controls and limits the secretion of norepinephrine and epinephrine. This ultimately helps in the dilatation of blood vessels. This dilatation decreases the blood pressure, thus relieving any kind of associated pain. It regulates the blood pressure and helps to normalize it to the maximum extent possible.
How to use Minipress XL?
Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet should be taken in the dose and for the duration prescribed by the doctor. The medicine should be swallowed whole and should not be crushed or chewed. It should be taken along with water. It can be taken with or without food, usually two to three times a day. The dosage of this medicine depends on the age and medical condition of the patient.
When Minipress XL is prescribed?
Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet is an antihypertensive medicine that helps in preventing the risks of heart failure and high blood pressure that may cause chest tightness.
This medicine is prescribed in the following conditions:
- Hypertension: Minipress XL helps in reducing high blood pressure by allowing the blood to flow in the blood vessels.
- Congestive heart failure: The medicine is used for treating congestive heart failure for relieving the symptoms of congestion.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia: This is a common condition experienced by elderly men. It is also known as prostate gland enlargement. This condition blocks the flow of urine out of the bladder. It also causes bladder and kidney related problems. Prostate gland enlargement can be cured with the help of Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet which helps in relaxing the smooth muscles of the bladder and prostate.
Medicines that should not be taken with Minipress XL:
Mentioned below is the list of medicines that should not be taken with Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet:
How to store Minipress XL?
Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. It should be stored at a place where it cannot retain moisture. The medicine should be kept away from children and pets.
1) Is Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet safe to be used by pregnant women?
Ans: No, this medicine is not considered to be safe for pregnant women. Studies suggest that this medicine can cause harm to the fetus. Hence, it is advised that women should discuss the risks and benefits of the medicine with the doctor before taking it.
2) Is it safe to drive or work on heavy machinery immediately after taking Minipress Tablet?
Ans: No, patients are advised not to drive or operate heavy machinery after administering Minipress XL 5 mg tablet. This is because this medicine induces drowsiness that may affect the ability of a person to concentrate.
3) What is the nature of Minipress XL Tablet?
Ans: Minipress XL is antihypertensive. It works by relaxing the blood vessels of the heart, allowing the blood to flow easily and thus lowers the pressure.
4) Does Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet have an adverse effect on the functioning of the liver?
Ans: The medicine should be used with caution by patients suffering from liver-related diseases. The doctor may recommend close monitoring of the liver function to patients who are suffering from such conditions.
5) When does Minipress Tablet start to show its effect on the body?
Ans: The medicine starts to exhibit its effect within 15 minutes of its administration. However, this time may vary for every individual depending upon the severity of their condition.
6) How long does the effect of Minipress XL Tablet remain on the body?
Ans: The effect of the Minipress remains on the body for about 10 to 24 hours.
7) Is it safe to consume alcohol during the course of Minipress XL 5 MG tablet?
Ans: No, it is advised that one must not consume alcohol while taking this medicine as it may increase the risk of side effects. These include low blood pressure, drowsiness, and unconsciousness.
8) Is Minipress tablet addictive in nature?
Ans: No, Minipress XL is not addictive in nature. It is advisable to read the packaging of the medicine for all the related information.
9) For the treatment of which diseases Minipress XL Tablet is mostly used?
Ans: The medicine is mainly used for treating the following conditions:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Heart failure, painfully cold fingers (Raynaud’s disease)
- The symptoms caused due to enlargement of the prostate gland
10) For how many times in a day Minipress XL tablet is prescribed by the doctor?
Ans: The doctors prescribe Minipress XL tab to be taken once or twice a day. However, it is advised to take this medicine in the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
11) When is it best to consume the Minipress XL tablet?
Ans: The medicine can be taken with or without food. But, it is advised to take this medicine after having a meal for better absorption of the medicine.
12) What is the function of Minipress XL tablet?
Ans: Minipress XL tablet is an alpha-blocker. It is also called an alpha-adrenergic antagonist. It works by relaxing muscles and allowing the certain blood vessels to remain open.
It helps to keep the norepinephrine hormone from contracting the muscles present in the walls of small veins and arteries, which helps relax the vessels. This not only improves the flow of the blood but also lowers the blood pressure.
13) Does Minipress XL tablet induces sleep?
Ans: Yes, this medicine induces sleep. Sleepiness is a common side effect of Minipress XL tablet. This medicine may cause dizziness, drowsiness, and headache. It also causes a temporary loss of consciousness. If you experience any of these side effects, please consult a doctor on priority.
14) What special precautions should be taken while administering Minipress XL?
Ans: One should take the following precautions while administering the medicine:
- Before taking Minipress XL, patients should inform the doctor about their medical history, especially if they are suffering from heart problems, kidney disease, and prostate cancer.
- Patients should avoid taking this medicine if they are allergic to the ingredient of medicine.
- Minipress XL may induce drowsiness, hence; patients should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Patients must inform the doctor about their ongoing treatment or upcoming surgery.
- Patients suffering from kidney and liver disease should administer this medicine with caution.
15) Is Minipress XL used for the treatment of high blood pressure?
Ans: Yes, the medicine is used for treating high blood pressure. Minipress XL tablet is an alpha-blocker. It works by relaxing the blood vessels that leads to easier and more blood flow.
16) How should Minipress XL be used?
Ans: The medicine should be taken as prescribed by the doctor. It should be swallowed whole and should not be crushed or chewed. It should be administered with water. It can be taken with or without food, but it is suggested to take at a fixed time.
17) Does administering Minipress XL cause weight loss?
Ans: No, this medicine does not cause weight loss. However, if you are experiencing excessive weight loss during the course of the medication it is advised to consult a doctor immediately.
18) What are the possible contraindications associated with the administration of Minipress XL?
Ans: Minipress XL is contraindicated in patients who are suffering from orthostatic hypotension, cataract surgery, and intraoperative floppy iris syndrome. This medicine should not be administered to patients below the age of 12 years.
19) What are the possible side effects of administering Minipress XL tablet?
Ans: Some of the side effects associated with the medicine are:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Nasal congestion
20)What should do I do if I miss a dose of Minipress XL?
Ans: If you miss a dose of Minipress XL, it should be taken as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, the missed dose can be skipped. Under no circumstances, a double dose of the medicine should be taken.
21) Can Minipress XL be administered to children?
Ans: No, this medicine should not be administered to children below the age of 12 years.
22) What are some of the tips for using Minipress XL tablet?
Ans: Mentioned below are the expert tips for using Minipress XL 5 MG Tablet:
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking Minipress XL tablet as it may increase blood pressure.
- Inform your doctor if you are due for a cataract surgery.
- Use this medicine only for the conditions specified by the doctor. It is advised not to self-medicate.
- Notify your doctor immediately if there is no improvement in your condition.
23) Can Minipress XL be used for the treatment of prostate gland enlargement?
Ans: Yes, this medicine is used for the treatment of prostate gland enlargement. This condition blocks the flow of urine out of the bladder. Prostate gland enlargement can be treated with the help of Minipress XL tablet which helps in smoothing the muscles of the bladder neck and prostate to relax.
24) What will happen if a person overdoses on Minipress XL tablets?
Ans: Taking more than the recommended dose of medicine may cause severe side effects. Hence, patients are advised to adhere to the dosage as prescribed by the doctor.
25) What are the storage requirements of Minipress XL tablet?
Ans: The medicine must be stored at room temperature away from direct heat and sunlight. The medicine should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
26) At what frequency should Minipress XL be administered?
Ans: The most common frequency of administering Minipress XL 5 mg tablet is 2-3 tablets per day. However, the frequency of the dose may differ for individuals.