Meftal P Tablet is an anti-inflammatory drug that is available in the form of suspension and tablets. Meftal P is mainly used to treat pain and it belongs to the class of fenamates that are anti-inflammatory products. It is not an anti-biotic and does not contain codeine.
|Nature of Meftal P:||Anti-inflammatory pain killer and muscle relaxant|
|Uses of Meftal P:||Menstrual Cramps, abdominal pain, Muscle pain, Irritable bowel syndrome|
|Composition of Meftal P:||Dicyclomine and Mefenamic Acid|
|Side effects of Meftal P:||Abdominal pain, Itching and increased sweating, Weakness, acidity, Constipation, Diarrhoea|
|Precautions:||Pregnancy, Liver and kidney problem, connective tissue disorder|
Meftal P is a drug that treats mild pain and discomfort that are associated with menstruation and also certain diseases. However, this tablet cannot treat the disease that caused the pain. It is for oral consumption only. The effect of Meftal P can be observed within 30 minutes of consuming it and lasts for an average duration of 4-6 hours. Do not take meftal p in large quantities; try taking the dose as low as possible. Take meftal p medicine along with food and an adequate amount of water.
Uses & Benefits of Meftal P:
Meftal P is a pain reliever. It helps ease the pain that is associated with conditions like:
- Menstruation (Dysmenorrhea): Due to the presence of mefenamic acid, Meftal P relieves the pain caused during mensuration. If the pain persists then the patient should consult a gynaecologist.
- Muscle cramps: Meftal P can control muscle cramps happening anywhere in the body.
- Gout: High uric acid in the blood streams can cause gout. Meftal P helps in reducing swelling and inflammation.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Fever: Being an anti-inflammatory, Meftal P blocks the release of certain chemicals that cause pain or fever.
Meftal P drug is also used to treat:
- Joint pain
- Pain in prominent muscles of the body
- Dental pain
- All kinds of acute pain
Side Effects of Meftal P Tablet:
The side effects of Meftal P mentioned below are possible with the consumption of Meftal P. However, the side effects are not always evident. Some of the side effects might be rare and of less severity, however, there could be some side effects that could be life threatening.
The common side effects of Meftal P include:
- Pain in the abdomen
- Epigastric pain
The rarely occurring but serious side effects of Meftal P include:
- Itchiness in the skin
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the lower back
- Presence of blood in the urine
- Irregular or fast heartbeats
In case of severe symptoms, medical advice must be sought immediately.
Common Dosage of Meftal P:
Since Meftal P is an anti-inflammatory product, the dosage of Meftal P and the duration for which it has to be consumed must be advised by the doctor. Meftal P medicine is to be consumed with meals.
In case of a missed dose, take one as soon as possible. If it almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and take the scheduled dose instead. Extra doses of Meftal P should not be consumed to make up for the missed dose.
In case of an overdose, consult your doctor immediately. Some symptoms of an Meftal P overdose are blurred vision, rashes on the skin and chest pain.
Women who are pregnant or about to breastfeed should not use this Meftal P. The Meftal P can be unsafe during pregnancy as the amount of milk passing through is unknown. Therefore, always take Meftal P under medical supervision only.
Composition and Nature of Meftal P:
The main ingredient present in the Meftal P is Mefenamic acid. The molecular formula of the compound is C15H15NO2. Meftal P is available in various strengths with Mefenamic acid as the main ingredient. It works by reducing the production of enzyme called cyclo-oxygenase that helps in prostaglandins. Therefore, it helps in relieving pain and swelling caused during menstruation.
How Meftal P Tablet Works?
Meftal P, being an anti-inflammatory, blocks the release of pain-causing chemical messengers by obstructing the pathway of its synthesis. By blocking the release of these chemical messengers it reduces the intensity of pain, redness, swelling and fever.
The Meftal P medicine is generally prescribed to be consumed 2-3 times in a day by the doctor. The tablets should be swallowed. It should not be chewed or broken into pieces. You can take Meftal P along with food, or even after food in order to avoid irritation.
Precautions and Warning Related To Meftal P:
The following are the precautions that have to be ensured while taking the Meftal P tablet:
- Taking Meftal P along with alcohol can lead to serious events like stomach bleeding.
- The Meftal P drug is not safe for use during pregnancy. Animal studies have proved serious effects on the fetus.
- Meftal P is safe for consumption during lactation. Mefenamic acid does not pass onto the breast milk in significant amounts and thus would not harm the baby.
- Meftal P Over dose may cause bleeding in the stomach and renal problems.
- Meftal P is not safe for patients with an existing kidney problem or liver diseases to consume this medicine
- As the drug blurs the vision and makes the patients feel dizzy, driving is not recommended after consuming Meftal P.
- If a patient is allergic to mefenamic acid or any other medicine belonging to the class of NSAID, the medicine should not be consumed.
- Do not use Meftal P if you are allergic to asthma, uticaria or any other allergic diseases.
- One who has recently gone through a heart surgery or coronary artery bypass surgery should not use Meftal P.
- The Meftal P medicine should be used in caution for those who are prone to peptic ulcer or other diseases of gastrointestinal tract.
- Use of Meftal P can cause various skin allergies and should be stopped immediately if you notice such issues.
- Address the use of all medicines including supplements and herbs before taking this medicine. Any interaction of Meftal P should be ruled out before starting the treatment with mefenamic acid.
Substitutes for Meftal P:
Meftal P Suspension can be substituted by the following:
- Mefalth manufactured by Orchid Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals
- Trumef manufactured by Olcare Laboratories
- Mefkind P manufactured by Mankind Pharma
- Mefast Suspension manufactured by Zuventus Healthcare
- Rxmef manufactured by Veritaz Healthcare
Interactions for Meftal P Tablet:
This Tablet has moderate to severe interactions with certain groups of drugs.
Severe interaction of Meftal P is seen with drugs such as:
- Methotrexate: In this case, the risk of toxicity and adverse effects are high, one may require a dose adjustment and clinical monitoring while taking it.
- Tacrolimus: In this case, you may require the need to adjust the dosage and also monitor the dosage frequently.
- Warfarin: One may require dose adjustment at the time of clotting. Contact the doctor immediately in case presence of blood in stools is observed after consuming Meftal P.
- Ketorolac: These medicines are not to be used as the chances of risk are significantly high. The doctor may suggest an alternative that is safe to use.
- Intravenously injected antibodies: In this condition, a dose adjustment and frequent monitoring is also used to safely use these medicines.
Moderate reactions of Meftal P are seen with drugs such as:
- Glimepiride: In this condition, a dose adjustment and frequent monitoring is also used to safely use these medicines. Symptoms like headache, dizziness and nausea should be directly reported to the doctor.
- Propanolol: In this condition, a dose adjustment and frequent monitoring is also used to safely use these medicines. Patients should not stop medication without doctor’s recommendation.
- Ramipril: In this condition, a dose adjustment and frequent monitoring is also used to safely use these medicines. Symptoms like swelling, nausea, vomiting and muscle cramps should be reported to the doctor right away.
- Furosemide: In this condition, a dose adjustment and frequent monitoring is also used to safely use these medicines. Drink plenty of water while taking these medicines.
- Aspirin: Dose adjustment at the time of clotting might be required. Contact the doctor immediately in case blood in stools is observed.
- Spironolactone: In this condition, a dose adjustment and frequent monitoring is also used to safely use these medicines. Patients should not stop taking the medicine on their own.
Interaction of Meftal P with certain drugs is very severe and these reactions can even be life threatening, leading to some adverse effects.
Some of the drugs that can cause such reactions with Meftal P are:
- Amino Salicylic Acid
- Drugs with Nimesulide
Apart from the drugs mentioned above, Meftal P also interacts with certain diseases in the body causing severe outcomes.
The diseases are:
- Aspirin- sensitive asthma and other forms of asthma
- Broncho- obstructive disorders
- Fluid retention in body
With laboratory tests, Meftal P cause a false positive result for Diazo test that is used to test the bile content in urine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1) Does Meftal P contain codeine?
Ans: No. It does not have codeine.
2) Is Meftal P an antibiotic?
Ans: No. Meftal P tablet is not an antibiotic.
3) Is Meftal P good for tooth ache?
Ans: Yes. Meftal P is generally recommended for tooth pain.
4) Does Meftal P tablet cause drowsiness?
Ans: The drowsiness side effect with Meftal P is quite rare. If you experience drowsiness frequently, do consult your doctor immediately.
5) Does Meftal stop periods?
Ans: No. Meftal P is only meant to ease the cramps associated with menstruation. It does not stop periods or interfere with your cycle.
6) Does Meftal reduce bleeding?
Ans: No. Meftal P does not interfere with your cycle duration or nature. Apart from easing cramps, it does not affect your cycle in any way. It does not reduce bleeding.
7) Is Meftal P a steroid?
Ans: No. Meftal P comes under the category of non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) class. It has no properties of a steroid.
8) Can I take mefenamic acid when prescribed Paracetamol?
Ans: Mefenamic acid might interact with Paracetamol. It is advised to consult your doctor while taking a new medication along with Meftal P.
9) Can I alter my dosage of Meftal P based on the intensity of pain?
Ans: No. You should stick to the dosage and duration prescribed by the doctor. The duration of the consumption of Meftal P should also be adhered strictly. In case of discomfort or complete cure, approach the doctor for his opinion.
10) Is Meftal P safe during breastfeeding?
Ans: Meftal P does not cause any toxicity to the baby, therefore it is considered safe. However, women should always consult before starting its medication.
11) Can the medicine be used for treating fever?
Ans: Yes, Meftal P can be used for treating fever. But, to be on a safer side, it is better to consult your doctor before taking this tablet.
12) At what frequency the Meftal P should be taken?
Ans: Ideally, patients should take 2-3 doses of Meftal P. Do not self-medicate or increase the dose on your own. Always follow your doctor’s advice for taking Meftal P.
13) What is the appropriate time to take Meftal P?
Ans: In most cases, it is suggested to take the Meftal P after having food. Patients should also follow their doctor’s advice for taking this tablet.
14) In what conditions I should not use this tablet?
Ans: In case if you are suffering with following conditions:
- Peptic ulcer
- Kidney disease
- Lung disease
- Allergic conditions like hypersensitivity and allergies
15) How long does one need to use Meftal P before seeing any improvement?
Ans: In most cases, usually the same day or one extra day is the maximum time in which one can see any improvement. If there are any doubts, talk to your doctor about how long you need to continue the Meftal P.
16) Does overdose of this medicine can cause harm?
Ans: Do not take overdose of the Meftal P as taking more medicines will not improve the symptoms, rather it may worsen your condition or cause side-effects. Immediately go to the doctor in case you face such issues.
17) Does taking an expired Meftal P dose harm my health?
Ans: Taking a single dose of expired medicine might not cause any harm. Always discuss with your pharmacist for proper advice if you are confused about any instruction written on Meftal P. Ideally, one should not take an expired Meftal P. An expired drug may not be effective in treating your illness.
18) Is this medicine addictive?
Ans: Many medicines do not come with a potential to cause an addiction or abuse. Kindly consult the product package to make sure that medicines do not belong to such category. Avoid self-medicating and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without a doctor’s advice.
19) Is it safe to drive care or use heavy machinery after taking Meftal P?
Ans: If you are feeling drowsy and having a headache, then you should not use the Meftal P as it is not safe to drive machinery. Do not drive any vehicle if you are feeling dizzy or facing blood pressure issues. It is also not suggested to take alcohol along with medicines, as it increases the risk of drowsiness. Talk to your doctor right away if your body is facing such health conditions.
20) How should I use Meftal P medicine?
Ans: Take Meftal P along with food in order to avoid stomach ache. This medicine can cause complications like bleeding, kidney problems if taken for a longer period of time. Do not take this tablet beyond 1 week if you find any improvement in your health. Also, do not stop its medication on your own.
Also never use the recommended dose without your doctor’s consent as it may cause harm. If you are not sure about the usage of Meftal P then do not take it without speaking to your doctor.
21) What effect does this medicine has on heart patients?
Ans: Heart patients should use Meftal P with caution as it may cause fluid retention or heart failure. The prolonged use of Meftal P tablet can increase the signs of heart problems.
22) What are some of the drugs that can interact with this medicine?
Ans: Some of the medicines can have a drug-drug interaction:
- Beta blockers
- Angiotensin receptive blockers
- Thiazide diuretics
An interaction between two medicines does not mean that you should stop the medicine on your own. Talk to your doctor about how drug interactions can be managed.
23) What are the side effects that can happen while taking Meftal P?
Ans: A medicine can cause you side effects that can be mild, severe or may be temporary. The following side- effects have been reported by most people while taking Meftal P.
- Pain in the abdomen
- Epigastric pain
Women should always consult a gynecologist in case they experience painful periods or if they have any confusion regarding the consumption of Meftal P.
Although side effects do not happen very often but they can cause serious problems if proper steps are not taken to cure them.
24) What effect does this medication has on patients suffering with gastro-intestinal disorder?
Ans: Meftal P tablet can cause adverse gastrointestinal adverse effects like inflammation, bleeding and perforation of small or large intestine. The side effects of this medicine can be caused anytime without warning.