Meftal Forte Tablet is a drug that is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Meftal Forte is used as a remedy for abdominal cramps, fever, joint ache, muscle pain, osteoarthritis, etc. It blocks the action of substances that cause inflammation in the body. Meftal Forte Tablet treats inflammation, not the disease that causes such symptoms.
|Nature of Meftal Forte Tablet:||NSAID|
|Uses of Meftal Forte Tablet:||Menstrual ache, osteoarthritis, and fever|
|Side effects of Meftal Forte Tablet:||Nausea, constipation, stomach ulcers, inflammatory bowel diseases|
|Composition of Meftal Forte Tablet:||Mefenamic acid, paracetamol and acetaminophen|
|Precautions:||Pregnancy, liver & kidney disease and driving|
Uses and Benefits of Meftal Forte:
The tablet is used for treating joint ache and used to subside abdominal ache but it has a non-exhaustive list of uses some of which specifies it to be a treatment for toothache, osteoarthritis, menstrual pain, rheumatoid arthritis, fever, arthralgia, headache, and muscle pain. The medicine surely has a plethora of usage and its flexibility is definitely is the benefit. However, it is not recommended for anyone to use this medicine without a doctor’s prescription as like every other medicine this has side effects of its own. Therefore, one should talk to their doctor before making use of Meftal Forte.
Side Effects of Meftal Forte:
Just like other medicines, Meftal Forte Tablet can also cause side effects, that can be moderate as well as severe. The side effects include allergy, nausea, indigestion, constipation, stomach ulcers, vomiting, inflammatory bowel diseases, abdominal pain, diarrhea, indigestion the common ones. Besides these common symptoms, there are other symptoms as well that might follow the consumption of Meftal Forte, which perhaps depends on the medical condition of the patient. Sometimes, the past medical history and also the present medications decide the side effects. It is always a smart choice to consult a doctor before making use of this tablet. Also, in case you feel any other symptoms like rashes or blurred vision, or any prominent ones, consult with your physician immediately as the symptoms elevate when used for a longer duration. Your physician is best to judge what would suit you and shall put you on the safest medications accordingly.
Common Dosage of Meftal Forte:
The dosage of the Meftal Forte Tablet should be taken as directed by the physician. It is recommended that the patient takes the medicine right before or immediately after food. The Meftal Forte comes to effect within 30 minutes of its consumption and the effects may last as long as 6 hours.
One should take the missed dose as soon as one remembers it. If it is time for the next dose then, skip the next dose. In case of an overdose, speak to the doctor immediately. Taking more medicine will not improve the symptoms, rather it can cause poisoning or side effects. Do not give the medicine to other people who are suffering from the same condition as it may cause the risk of an overdose.
Composition & Nature of Meftal Forte:
The drug contains: Mefenamic Acid (500mg) and Paracetamol/ Acetaminophen (325mg). Paracetamol works well for relieving fever and abdominal pain. The tablet having anti-inflammatory properties helps to reduce redness and swelling too.
Meftal Forte Price in India:
- Meftal Forte Tablet: 35 INR
- Meftal Forte Cream: 66 INR
When Meftal Forte is prescribed?
- Cephalalgia: Meftal Forte helps in treating headache and migraines. But do not take this medicine without doctor’s prescription.
- Menstrual pain: Due to its analgesic properties, this medicine is prescribed to women who go through severe menstrual pain. Meftal Forte Tablet works best on moderate to mild pain. It shows the best result when told by the doctor.
- Cold: Before taking Meftal Forte Tablet, read the prescription written on the packaging carefully. As these medicines have the same ingredients. Make sure you take the dosage in moderation. As taking an overdose may cause serious injury.
- A toothache: As it is an analgesic, it helps in treating dental pain. Its ingredient paracetamol helps in curing toothache.
- Acute pain: The medicine is used in relieving pain caused due to sprain, gout, and arthritis.
How to use Meftal Forte Tablet?
As every patient’s and their case is different, their dosage is based on the disease, the route of administration, and the patient’s age. Doctors do not recommend using the Meftal Forte if they are allergic to any of the ingredients present in the medicine. Women in the third trimester of their pregnancy are also not allowed to use the medicine.
The medicine Meftal Forte should be taken in the amount and duration as prescribed by the doctor. There are certain side effects that have been associated with medicine like dizziness, nausea, and stomach ache. It is advised to take the medicine once or thrice a day. It can be taken with food and without food, but it is better to take it with food in order to avoid loose motions.
How Meftal Forte works?
Consumption of this anti-inflammatory drug relieves pain by blocking the release of some specific toxins and chemicals that cause pain. For best results, swallow the tablet with water or some fluid right away. Avoid chewing and breaking it.
The medicine contains a combination of mefenamic acid and paracetamol that works through multiple mechanisms. Mefenamic acid and paracetamol prevent the impulse generation of pain in the central nervous system and block the synthesis of prostaglandins through the inhibition of enzymes.
Warnings and Precautions- When to avoid Meftal Forte?
There are certain precautions that a patient must take before taking Meftal Forte Tablet. The physician’s advice is strictly recommended in case the patient is hypersensitive, lactating, pregnant, newborn, suffers from kidney disease, inflammatory bowel syndrome. Also, if the medical history indicates any coronary artery surgery or severe heart failure, it is advisable to consult a doctor before starting dosage.
The patients are not recommended to use more than 3 tablets a day. There must be a considerable gap between the two doses. Store the tablets away from direct sunlight and excess heat. Room temperature is favorable for storage.
The patient needs to analyze his own symptoms and therefore, he might be sure if the medicine is working for him. In case the fever or pain has not eased within an hour of the consumption of the Meftal Forte Tablet, consult your doctor so that he might recommend some alternative solution.
The medicine is available and can be brought from any local pharmacy. Do check the expiry date before you pick on a strip of these tablets
Substitutes for Meftal Forte:
Mentioned below is the list of substitutes having the same composition and strength as that of Meftal Forte Tablet, hence can be used as a substitute.
- Mefkind Forte Tablet,
- Meftagestic 500mg/325mg tablet,
- Influben M 500mg/325mg tablet
Meftal Forte Tablet Interactions:
A drug interaction occurs when a medicine affects the activity of other medications when taken together. A drug interaction can result in too much or little medicine in the body causing unwanted side effects or making the other medicine less effective. A medicine can interact with other prescribed medicine, over-the-counter product or multivitamins. There are drug interactions that can occur between certain medicines and foods and even alcohol.
Mentioned below is the list of medicines that can interact with Meftal Forte Tablet :
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (e.g., ramipril)
- Beta-adrenergic blockers (e.g., metoprolol, atenolol)
Meftal Forte Tablet Suspension form:
Meftal Forte Tablet is a combination drug that is used for treating rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and fever. While its other variant cream contains methyl, menthol, and camphor. It is used for treating strains, muscular pain, and joint pain. Use the medicines at least 2-3 times a day in the affected area.
How to store Meftal Forte?
The medicine should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and light. It is not suggested to freeze the medicines. For the safety of the children, keep the medicine away from their reach. One should not flush the medicine or pour them into the toilet. As medicines discarding in such a way may harm the environment.
1) What to do if I miss a dose of Meftal Forte?
Ans: The logical thing to do in case you have missed a dosage of Meftal Forte Tablet is to take it as soon as possible after it comes to your notice. You may choose to skip the dosage as well in case the time is closer to the next dosage. Be sure not to take the double dosage as it might counter affect your health.
2) What should I do if I over-dosed on Meftal Forte Tablet mistakenly?
Ans: There are side effects that might show up in case you have over-dosed on these medicines. Talk to your physician as soon as you notice any side effects.
3) Is consumption of Meftal Forte addictive?
Ans: No, the consumption of these tablets is not as addictive as the addictive medicines in India are classified under the H or X category in India and 2-5 categories in the United States. Do read the package carefully for detailed information.
4) How will taking an expired dosage of Meftal Forte Tablet to affect the patient?
Ans: Generally, consumption of expired Meftal Forte Tablet is not harmful but it is advised to have a word with your physician about the same as a preventive measure. The expired dose may be ineffective. But to be on the safer side, it is suggested not to use the medicine. If you are suffering from a chronic illness that needs instant treatment, such as heart condition and seizures; it is suggested to stay in touch with your physician so that he or she can provide you with a fresh supply of medications.
5) Can Meftal Forte be used as a remedy to cold?
Ans: No. Meftal Forte Tablet is generally used to relieve joint ache and abdominal pain
6) Do Meftal Forte help with migraines?
Ans: Meftal Forte Tablet contains paracetamol that helps to relieve a headache. But it is advisable to consult a physician before taking any medication.
7) Is it safe to drive after taking Meftal Forte?
Ans: No, it is safe to drive after taking a dose of Meftal Forte Tablet. Avoid driving or indulging in any risky activity that can cause an accident. This is because Meftal Forte causes drowsiness.
8) Does Meftal Forte Tablet help with GERD?
Ans: No, the tablets would not help with acid reflux. You should use an antacid instead, upon consulting a gastroenterologist.
9) In what medical conditions this drug should not be used?
Ans: The medicine should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergy: Meftal Forte Tablet is not recommended for use if they are allergic to mefenamic acid or any other medicine of the NSAID class. This medicine is not recommended for use if you have a known history of allergy to mefenamic acid or other medicines of the NSAID class. It is not recommended for use if you are allergic to conditions like asthma, urticaria, or any other allergic condition.
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery: Do not use Meftal Forte if you have undergone coronary artery bypass surgery.
10) What special precautions should be taken while taking this tablet?
Ans: The following precautions should be exercised while taking Meftal Forte:
- Patients suffering from liver and kidney disease should take doctor’s advice before taking the medicine.
- It is strictly advised not to take more than 3 tablets in a day and keep enough gap between each dose.
- If the pain or fever is not relieved within half an hour to one hour, patients should immediately speak to the doctor for an alternative solution.
- Do not give Meftal Forte to someone else who is going through the same conditions or facing the same symptoms.
- One should always check for expiry on the packaging or check with the doctor before buying the medicine.
- As it is an NSAID, do not mix it with other medicines like paracetamol, dicyclomine, meftal spas and crocin .
- Women having painful periods, abdominal pain should take Meftal Forte after consulting a gynecologist.
- Due to several side effects associated with the medicine, users are advised to read the instructions properly.
11) Is it safe to drink alcohol while taking the Meftal Forte?
Ans: Consumption of alcohol is not suggested while taking Meftal Forte Tablet. As it may increase the risk of side effects and cause drowsiness. It is suggested not to exceed more than 3 doses in a day.
12) Can this drug cause constipation?
Ans: Yes, Meftal Forte Tablet can cause constipation. Although it is a rare side effect, the exact cause of constipation is not known. If you are experiencing constipation after taking this medicine, then try taking a laxative and eat less spicy fibrous food.