Liv.52 DS Tablet is manufactured by Himalaya Drug Company and it contains a number of active ingredients including Terminalia Arjuna, Cichorium Intybus, Jhavuka, Kakamachi, Kasamarda, Mandur Bhasma, and Himsra as active ingredients.
This Tablet works by releasing chemicals that improve digestive system and act on the digestive system in a number of other ways, such as antimicrobial activity, reducing cholesterol, reducing blood glucose levels, and regularising the bowel movement of patients.
Uses and benefits of Liv.52 DS Tablet:
Liv.52 DS is used to keep the digestive system running smoothly and can help relieve a variety of symptoms or problems:
- It may be used for various stomach disorders including constipation, digestive disorders, and loss of appetite, stomach problems, or dyspepsia. It is frequently used for the prevention and treatment of early cirrhosis and pre-cirrhotic conditions, as well as alcoholic liver disease.
- The medicine reduces damage caused to the patient’s liver from diseases such as an elevated liver enzyme, jaundice, and Hepatitis A & Hepatitis B. It may be used for other liver-related disorders like fatty liver related to protein-energy malnutrition.
- It is also used as an adjuvant or supplement to other drugs in the treatment of several disorders, as it can promote healing and reduce side-effects in such cases. It is used as an adjuvant for hepatotoxic drugs such as drugs that are used in the treatment of tuberculosis, statin drugs, chemotherapeutic agents that are used for recovery from cancer (particularly uterine cancer), and anti-retroviral. It is also used as an adjuvant to haemodialysis, and during some prolonged illnesses including loss of appetite during pregnancy.
- It may be used for the supplemental treatment of many diseases, including ones as mild as cold or asthma. It may be used in treatment from malaria, gallstones, anorexia, gastroenteritis, sinus problems, dropsy, ulcers, dysentery or fever, cirrhosis, diuretic anaemia, haemorrhoids, and bleeding disorders including menorrhagia and rectal bleeding.
Side Effects of Liv.52 DS Tablet:
Liv. 52 DS Tablet may interact with other medicines, food items or beverages to produce some side-effects. These side effects may range from mild to severe. Following are some of the side effects associated with the consumption of This Tablet –
- Burning of the skin
- Skin irritation
- Inflammation of skin
If a patient notices side-effects other than the ones mentioned above, it must be immediately reported to the doctor.
Common Dosage of Liv.52 DS Tablet:
The typical dosage is two tablets a day, to be swallowed after meals. However, patients should consult a doctor for the right dosage for their particular condition. Medicines should be used only on a physician’s advice.
Composition and Nature of Liv.52 DS Tablet:
Himalaya Liver 52 DS contains Himsra, also known as Caper Bush and Chicory (Kasani).
Himsra provides p-methoxy benzoic acid which aids in increasing efficiency of the liver. Kasani protects the liver from toxicity and is primarily prescribed to liquor drinkers.
Related Warnings/Precautions: When to avoid Liv.52 DS Tablet?
There may be a number of situations in which the patient may have to be cautious while consuming Liv.52 DS. Keeping the below-mentioned points in mind while taking Liver 52 DS may help the patients to understand when or when not to take This Tablet:
- Patients are warned against liquor consumption along with the use of this medication.
- Patients who are pregnant, breastfeeding, planning on becoming pregnant or breastfeeding are all advised to discuss the matter with their physician before beginning a course of this medicine.
- Patients must inform their doctor if they have to take any over-the-counter medicines, herbal products or other medications.
- The doctor must also be informed about any allergies, on-going treatment, and current health conditions before a patient starts consuming this medicine.
- This Tablet must be taken as directed by the doctor. If a patient is taking Liv. 52 DS Tablet as an over-the-counter product, it must be consumed in the manner as printed on the packet insert.
Substitutes for Liv.52 DS Tablet:
There are few complete substitutes of Himalaya Liver 52 DS:
- Sri Sri Tattva Liv-ON 500 mg Tablet
Liv.52 DS Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
A drug interaction refers to a reaction between two or more drugs, between a drug and a food or beverage. Consuming a drug while having a certain medical condition may also cause drug interaction. These interactions may increase or decrease the action of a drug or lead to unwanted side effects.
Interaction with Medicine
The medication may have a bad reaction with the following drugs
- Antihypertensive drugs
Interaction with alcohol
Liv. 52 DS Tablet may induce sleepiness and drowsiness in patients consuming this tablet. Taking alcohol while consuming the medicine may amplify the sedative effect. Therefore, it is advised that patients must avoid taking liquor while taking Liver 52.
How to use of Liv.52 Ds Tablet?
For medicine to work effectively, it is imperative that it is taken in a proper manner. Here is how a patient must consume Liv. 52 DS:
- Liver 52 DS Tablet must be taken twice or thrice a day, as directed by the doctor.
- This medicine must be consumed after meals.
- Do not miss the dose or take more than the prescribed dosage.
How Liv.52 DS Tablet works?
The components of Liv.52 DS are naturally hepato-protective. They are naturally designed to protect against chemicals that are hepatotoxic or harmful to the liver.
- The liver is protected against damage by protecting the hepatic parenchyma and promoting cellular regeneration in the liver.
- The components also work as anti-peroxidative which protect the integrity of the cell membrane, promotes the recovery of the liver, and maintain the large group of cytochrome O-450 enzymes which work as catalysts to ensure oxidation of organic substances. All this promotes hepatic recovery in infective hepatitis in particular.
- It also may prevent or reduce hangovers by eliminating acetaldehyde and protects from alcohol damage in the liver. The breakdown in the liver that causes fatty infiltration of the liver, which occurs in chronic alcoholism, is also prevented or diminished by the action of Liv.52 DS. It is often used as a preventive or treatment in pre-cirrhotic patients to prevent further liver damage.
- It also works in anorexia patients and patients who have stunted growth or weight gain by improving appetite. It normalises the appetite-satiety feedback in the body. It can also help with pregnant patients who have lost their appetite.
- Liv.52 DS is also sometimes prescribed as a daily health supplement in order to promote appetite, digestive processes, and encourage weight gain.
When Liv.52 DS Tablet is prescribed?
Liv.52 DS is usually prescribed to improve the digestion and assimilation process. It may also be prescribed for the treatment of constipation, liver problems, Jaundice, Dyspepsia, Loss of appetite and other conditions.
How to store Liv.52 Ds?
- Liv. 52 DS Tablet must be stored at room temperature.
- It must be kept away from direct heat or sunlight.
- Do not freeze this tablet until and unless it has been mentioned on the package insert.
- Do not dispose of Liv. 52 by pouring them into the drainage, as it may contaminate the environment.
- Consult the doctor or pharmacist for more details on how to safely discard this medicine.
1) What is Liv.52 DS used to treat?
Ans: It is used to improve digestion and assimilation process in the body.
2) What is Liv.52 used for?
Ans: Liver 52 is used for the treatment of conditions like jaundice, anorexia, asthma, diabetes, dyspepsia, malaria, fever, cardiopathy etc.
3) Is Liv.52 DS tablet safe to be used during pregnancy?
Ans: No side effect has been reported in pregnant women. However, it is suggested that Liver 52 is taken only after the consultation from a doctor and not as an over-the-counter product.
4) Is Liv.52 DS tablet safe to be consumed by lactating mothers?
Ans: It must be avoided by lactating mothers. In case of an emergency, the doctor must be consulted before consuming Liv.52 DS.
5) Is Liv.52 DS Tablet good for fatty liver?
Ans: It has been observed that the daily consumption of Liv.52 helps to improve appetite, digestion and assimilation process in the body. Continuous use of this tablet helps to protect the hepatic parenchyma and promotes hepatocellular regeneration, thereby restoring the functional efficiency of the liver.
6) When should Liv.52 Tablet be taken?
Ans: It should usually be taken after taking a meal. However, if a patient wants to gain weight it is best to take the medicine 30 minutes before a meal. This helps to increase the appetite and improve digestion.
7) Can I take Liv 52 DS Tablet after alcohol?
Ans: It has been shown to bring speedy elimination of acetaldehyde from the body and thus prevent alcoholic liver damage. Liv.52 DS may also prevent other toxic effects of liquor.
8) Does Liv 52 DS Tablet increase appetite?
Ans: Yes. It improves appetite, assimilation and digestion process.
9) What is the best time to take Liv 52 DS Tablet?
Ans: In most cases, Liv.52 must be taken 30 minutes before taking a meal. Taking the medicine 30 minutes before helps to stimulate appetite, bile discharge, liver function etc.
10) How does Liver 52 DS Tablet works?
Ans: Liver 52 DS works by restoring the functional efficacy of the liver by protecting the hepatic parenchyma and promoting hepatocellular regeneration. It also reduces the lipotropic (compounds that help to catalyse the breakdown of fat) effect in chronic alcoholism and prevent the deposition of fat in the liver.
11) Can Liv.52 DS tablet be used for constipation and liver problems?
Ans: Yes, liver problems and constipation are among the most common issues addressed by Liver 52 tablets.
12) How long should a person use Liv 52 DS Tablet before seeing an improvement in a patient’s condition?
Ans: The patients may be able to see the improvement in 1 week or 1 month of consuming it. But, it is suggested that patients must not take Liv.52 for a prolonged duration without the consultation from a doctor.
13) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery when consuming Liv 52 DS Tablet?
Ans: If a patient experiences dizziness, headache or hypotension as side-effects of using this tablet, it may not be safe to operate heavy machinery or drive a vehicle. As a side effect, Liv.52 may also lower the patient’s blood pressure.
14) Is Liv.52 DS habit forming?
Ans: No addiction has been reported with the consumption of this medicine. However, check the package to see if Liv.52 DS belongs to special categories of medicine like H or X.
15) What are the side effects of Liv.52 DS?
Ans: Some of the side effects associated with Liver 52 include burning of skin, irritation of skin and inflammation of the skin.