Levocet M Tablet belongs to the category of antihistamines. It is an effective medicine that is used to treat allergic symptoms especially those associated with Rhinitis and Urticaria. Doctors may also prescribe this medicine to cure seasonal allergies that cause watery eyes, skin itching, hives, and runny nose. The medicine works by selectively inhibiting the peripheral H1 receptors, thereby lowering the histamine levels in the body.
|Nature of Levocet:||Antihistamine|
|Uses of Levocet:||Allergic Rhinitis, Urticaria|
|Composition of Levocet:||Levocetirizine|
|Side Effects of Levocet:||Sleepiness, Headache, Blurred vision, Dry mouth, Nausea or Vomiting|
|Precautions of Levocet:||Alcoholism, Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Infants, Urinary retention, Kidney Disease|
The medicine blocks few organic substances known as histamines, in the brain and as well as other parts of the body. It can also be used to treat allergies due to medicines, food, or any other substance. This medicine reduces the symptoms and also gives relief from the health problem.
Uses and Benefits of Levocet:
Levocet is primarily used in the treatment of seasonal and year-round allergies. A few common conditions when the doctor prescribes the medicine are:
- Allergic Rhinitis: Allergic rhinitis is a medical condition associated with a group of symptoms affecting the nose and lungs. The symptoms include sneezing, watery and itchy eyes. The condition occurs due to inhaling an allergen (something that a person is allergic to) such as dust, animal dander, pollen grain etc.
- Urticaria: Urticaria or hives is a common medical condition that causes skin rashes as a result of an allergy. It can be triggered by various things, including certain foods, medication, and stress.
Side Effects of Levocet:
Levocet may show the following side-effects. If any of these side-effects worsen or last for a longer duration, consult the doctor.
- Blurred vision
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Difficulty in passing urine
Common Dosage of Levocet:
Normal dosage of Levocet
It is advisable not to take the medicine without the prescription of the doctor. An adult should take the dose once a day of Levocet mg. In the case of children, the dose of Levocet is 2.5 mg a day. Take the medicine as per the instruction by the doctor. Levocet tablet takes around 1 hour to show the effectiveness. The medicine is not habit forming as most of the medicines prescribed by the doctor are approved by the government and doesn’t have the tendency of addiction. In case a patient experiences any kind of serious side effects then he/she should immediately consult a doctor. In case if a patient is using the syrup form then it is advisable to use a measuring cup to take the medicine as an overdose may lead to serious side effects. After using the measuring device, one should clean it and store it in a safe place. One should avoid usage of teaspoon or tablespoon as it may give the measurement of incorrect dose.
- Missed Dosage : In case if a patient misses a dose of the Levocet then he/she should take the medicine as soon as possible. However, if it is the time of the second dose then don’t double up the dose as it might have serious side effects.
- Over Dosage : In case, overdose is suspected rush to a doctor. It is advisable not to take more medicines then prescribed by the doctor because it might lead to serious health problems. Symptoms of overdose include dizziness, restlessness, and confusion. In some cases of overdose, the patient may require gastric lavage.
Composition & Nature of Levocet:
The active ingredient/salt of Levocet is levocetirizine. It is a non-sedative antihistamine that is used to relieve seasonal and year-round allergies.
Levocet Price in India:
- Levocet (5mg) – 10 Tablets: 43 INR
- Levocet D (5mg) – 10 Tablets: 47.50 INR
- Levocet M Tablets – 10 Tablets: 77.90 INR
- Levocet M Kid Tablet MD – 10 Tablets: 38.20 INR
- Levocet Syrup – 60 mL: 63.50 INR
- Levocet M Syrup – 60 mL: 83.50 INR
- Levocet (10 mg) – 15 Tablets: 105 INR
When is Levocet prescribed?
Levocet is a drug that falls under the category of anti-histamines. The medicine is prescribed to manage both seasonal as well as year-round allergies. Doctors prescribe this medicine to the patients suffering from allergies in stomach, intestines, skin and airways leading to the lung.
How to Use Levocet?
- The patient should read the direction on the product label before taking the Levocet or take the medicine as per the guidance by the doctor or pharmacist. Ask about the queries related to the dosage or routine for taking the medicine.
- The patient should take the medicine as per the prescription by the doctor and for the time period specified by the doctor. The overdose of this medicine might lead to serious health problems.
- One should check the expiry date of the medicine before starting the dose.
- The patient should consult the doctor if the symptoms still persist after a few weeks.
- It is advised to not stop the dosage even if the symptoms disappear in just a few days as there are chances that the symptoms might increase.
- Take the medicine with a glass of water without chewing, breaking or crushing it.
How Levocet Works?
Levocet works by selectively inhibiting the peripheral H1 receptors and thereby blocking the release of histamines from the cells in the body. This action helps to relieve symptoms of allergies such as red, watery and itchy eyes. The medicine has also seen to be very impactful in relieving itching caused by hives.
Warnings/Precautions- When to avoid Levocet?
- Hypersensitivity: It is not recommended for patients with any kind of allergy to levocetirizine or any other anti-histamine.
- Kidney Disease: It does not show any major side-effects to those who are at the starting stage of kidney related disorder. However, the medicine may show adverse effects in patients with end-stage of the disease and creatinine clearance less than 10 ml/min.
- Pregnancy: It is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless potential benefits outweigh the risks.
- Breastfeeding: This medicine should be avoided by the ladies during their lactation period as it mixes with blood and can be passed on to infants.
- Urinary retention: This Tablet may cause urinary retention. Thus, the drug should be used with caution in patients with spinal cord lesions or prostatic hyperplasia.
Substitutes for Levocet:
- Teczine Tablet
- Levosiz Tablet
- Vozet Tablet
- Xyzal Tablet
- Lecope Tablet
Levocet may increase the risk of sleepiness and impaired thinking when taken with sedatives or tranquillizers. Consult the doctor if the patient is on such drugs and mixing this Tablet with other medicines may show adverse effects.
Interaction with drugs:
Variants of Levocet:
The various variants of Levocet are:
- Levocet Tablet (5mg)
- Levocet D Tablet (5mg)
- Levocet M Tablet
- Levocet M Kid Tablet MD
- Levocet M Syrup
- Levocet Tablet (10 mg)
Levocet Suspension form:
Lev ocet is available in both tablet as well as suspension form. The suspension forms are available in two forms – Syrup and M Syrup
Medicines that should not be taken with Levocet:
- Alprazolam (Moderate)
- Clobazam (Moderate)
- Codeine (Moderate)
How to store Levocet?
It is advisable to store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from the reach of children and pets. The packaging of the medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
1) What is Levocet Tablet used to treat?
Ans: Levocet Tabletthat falls under the category of anti-histamines. It is used to manage the symptoms of seasonal and year-round allergies. Generally, the drug is used to treat Urticaria.
2) What is used for Levocet Tablet?
Ans: Levocet Tablet is used for relieving the allergic diseases. Urticaria and Allergic Rhinitis are the most common problem when it is prescribed.
3) What are the side effects of Levocet Tablet?
Ans: Levocet Tablet may show a number of side-effects, sleepiness and headache are the most common. Other side-effects include blurred vision, dry mouth, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, and difficulty in passing urine.
4) Is Levocet Tablet safe to use?
Ans: Unless you are allergic to levocetirizine or any other anti-histamine, it is a safe medicine to use. However, people with kidney related disorder and pregnant women may avoid this Levocet Tablet.
5) Is Levocet Tablet a narcotic substance or a steroid?
Ans: Levocet is neither a narcotic substance nor a steroid; it is an antihistamine.
6) Can I take the Levocet for a cold?
Ans: Levocet is an antihistamine which relieves allergies. Thus, it can be used in common cold and flu.
7) Can I take Levocet with alcohol?
Ans: No,it should not be taken with alcohol as it can increase the sedative effect of Levocet.
8) Can I take this Levocet with Paracetamol?
Ans: Yes, Levocet can be consumed with Paracetamol, no interactions have been reported till yet.
9) Is Levocet a decongestant?
Ans: No, Levocet not a decongestant. It is an antihistamine used to relieve the symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, itching, and teary eyes caused by Urticaria.
10) When to take Levocet?
Ans: Since the absorption of levocetirizine is not affected by food, Levocet can be taken after or before the meal. However, it is advisable to consume it in the evening.
11) Is it safe to operate or drive heavy machinery after taking Levocet tablet?
Ans: If a patient has any kind of health issues like a headache, migraine attack, dizziness or drowsiness, then it is advised to operate or drive heavy machinery as you might faint or you might have lower blood pressure. Doctors also ask the patient to not drink alcohol or smoke as it intensifies drowsiness.
12) What happens if a patient consumes an expired dose of Levocet tablet?
Ans: Taking a single dose of Levocet tablet won’t have serious side effects on the body. However, the patient should stop the medication right away. The patient should check the expiry date while purchasing the tablet to avoid such things. If in case, any major side effect or allergy is noticed then consult the doctor as soon as possible.
13) Can I take Levocet tablet if I am pregnant?
Ans: No, you should not take Levocet tablet if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy as it can have side effects which can be harmful to the health as well as the fetus. If it is necessary then it is advisable to consult the doctor before consumption of the medicine.
14) Is it safe to consume alcohol after taking Levocet tablet?
Ans: No, people should not drink alcohol if they have taken Levocet tablet as it may have serious side effects on the body and also lead to a serious health issue as there are chances that drug might interact with the alcohol.
15) How to store the Levocet tablet?
Ans: Store the Levocet tablet at the room temperature and keep it away from direct heat or sunlight. Don’t freeze the tablet until and unless mentioned inside the package and also keep it away from children. Don’t flush the Levocet tablet down the toilet flush as it contaminates the environment. In case the dosage is completed then consult the doctor to ask how to safely discard the tablet.
16) What happens if a patient takes more than the prescribed dose of Levocet tablet?
Ans: It is advisable not to take the dose more than the prescribed dosage by the doctor as taking the extra dosage might result in severe side effects. If in case the overdosage of medicines causes serious side effects then immediately consults a doctor.
17) Is Levocet tablet addictive or habit-forming?
Ans: No, Levocet tablet is not as addictive as most of the medicines which are prescribed by the doctor don’t have the potential for abuse or addiction. If there are any such medicines then government categorize those medicines as controlled substance.
18) For how long is the duration of effect of Levocet tablet?
Ans: After taking the dose of the medicine as per the instruction by the doctor, the medicine lasts for around 24 hours. Take the medicine as per the instruction by the doctor as an overdose may lead to serious side effects.
19) What is the onset of action of the Levocet tablet?
Ans: Levocet tablet takes around an hour to show the effect after consuming it orally.
20) How to take Levocet tablet?
Ans: The patient should take the tablet orally without breaking, chewing or crushing it. Don’t take the medicine without the prescription of the doctor.
21) What are the precautions a patient should take before taking the medicine?
Ans: People should consult the doctor and discuss the current medication and past medical condition to avoid any serious side effects. People with an allergy to cetirizine or hydroxyzine should tell the doctor about for a suitable alternative. Don’t consume alcohol after taking the medicine as patients have experienced drowsiness. One should also not drive or operate heavy machinery as the also reduces the alertness. Patient with kidney disease should not take this medicine.
22) Is there any food item that a patient should avoid while taking Levocet tablet.
Ans: No, there is no such food item that a patient needs to avoid while taking Levocet tablet. One can continue with the normal diet. However, it is better to talk to the doctor regarding the same as he can give a better about the diet.
23) Can a patient stop the dosage if the symptoms reduce?
Ans: No, the patient should not stop taking the medicine before the completion of the dosage there are chances that the symptoms might increase suddenly after stopping the medicine. In case if a person wants to stop the dosage then it is advisable to consult the doctor.