Lesuride 25 mg tablet is a prescription medicine that belongs to the class of drugs known as ‘atypical antipsychotic drugs’. The medicine also works as GI stimulant and thus used to treat gastrointestinal problems such as GERD, heartburn, nausea and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The medicine may also be used to relieve the symptoms associated with mental disorders such as schizophrenia, Parkinson’s diseases, anxiety disorders etc.
|Nature||Atypical antipsychotic drug, GI Stimulant|
|Uses||Depression, Somatoform Disorders, Dyspepsia, Hallucinations, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety, Vertigo, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Schizophrenia|
And Premature Ejaculation
|Side-effects||Drowsiness, Constipation, Muscular Cramps, Sleeplessness, Fever, Sweating, Decrease in Libido, Weakness, Abnormal Milk Secretion|
|Precautions||Allergy, Epilepsy, Pheochromocytoma, Gastrointestinal perforation, Breast cancer, Heart Disease, Gastro-intestinal bleeding,|
Prolactin imbalance, Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, Asthma
Lesuride is manufactured and marketed by Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Limited. The medicine is available in market in form of tablets and injection.
Uses and Benifits of Lesuride 25 MG Tablet:
Lesuride exhibits antidepressant, antiemetic and anti-dyspeptic properties. It is thus prescribed for the treatment of the following conditions.
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Burning mouth syndrome
- Diabetic gastroparesis
- Frequent persistent heartburn
- Anxiety disorder
- Premature ejaculation
The medicine may also be prescribed for the treatment of diseases other than mentioned in the list.
Side Effects of Lesuride 25 MG Tablet:
Continuous consumption of Lesuride for a prolonged period may cause some side-effects as well. Some of the side effects associated with this medicine include –
- Tenderness in breasts
- Irregularity in menstrual periods
- Enlarged breasts in men
- Pain in the abdominal region
- Muscle cramps
- Weight gain
- Increases salivation
- Decrease in libido
- Profuse sweating
- Change in heart rate
- Postural hypotension
- Abnormal milk secretion
If any of the above-mentioned side effects persists or worsens, one must seek medical attention immediately.
Common Dosage of Lesuride 25 MG Tablet:
The patient should administer Lesuride 25 mg Tablet in accordance with the instructions prescribed by the doctor. Doctors usually prescribe 25 mg tablets thrice a day. However, the dosage may vary with the severity of the ailment to be treated. A few other factors that help in deciding the dosage are the BMI of the patient, age of the patient and other underlying health concerns.
- Missed Dosage – Patients should take the missed dose as soon as it is remembered. However, it is advisable not to take the missed dose if it is almost time for the next dose.
- Overdose – Overdose may show serious side effects or drug toxicity and thus one should refrain from taking an overdose. However, if an overdose is suspected, one must rush to a doctor to seek immediate medical attention.
Composition and Nature of Lesuride 25 MG Tablet:
Lesuride is an atypical antipsychotic drug. It also exhibits the properties of GI stimulants. One Lesuride 25 mg tablet consists of 25 mg of Levosulpiride. Depending upon the type of variant, this concentration may vary.
Precaution and Warning – When to Avoid Lesuride 25 MG Tablet?
Following are the precautions that must be taken during or before starting the consumption of this medicine –
- The medicine must be given with caution to the patients suffering from porphyria and renal implant. This is so because the drug may show interactions with these diseases and cause severe side-effects.
- The patient must inform the doctor about current medications and over the counter products they have been using in order to avoid severe interactions and side effects.
- The doctor must also be informed about any pre-existing allergies and diseases to ensure that no side-effect occurs.
- Take the medicine as directed by the doctor. Do not alter the dosage without a doctor’s recommendation.
- As the medicine may cause a little drowsiness, it is advised that the patients must refrain from driving after consuming the medicine.
- Patients must also avoid operating heavy machinery after taking the medicine.
- Consumption of Lesuride may lead to the absence of periods, abnormal milk secretion or low libido in a person. The patient must contact a doctor if any of these side effects appear.
- Pregnant women must consult their doctors before taking this medicine.
- The drug must be given cautiously to the patients suffering from breast cancer, Hypokalemia, Renal or hepatic insufficiency.
- The drug must be carefully given to the elderly and to children less than 14 years.
Lesuride should be taken with extreme care and caution in case of:
- Allergy: Use of this medicine is not recommended to be taken by individuals with a known allergy to Levosulpiride or any of the components of Lesuride.
- Epilepsy: This medicine is not recommended to be taken by individuals with epilepsy or convulsions.
- Pheochromocytoma: As the use of this medicine may cause the blood pressure to rise drastically, the medicine should be avoided by the individuals with a tumour in adrenal glands. It may cause abnormal bleeding.
- Gastrointestinal perforation: The medicine must not be given to patients suffering from bleeding, obstructed or perforated gut. It may worsen the condition.
- Breast cancer: Use of this medicine should be avoided by ladies who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
Substitutes of Lesuride 25 MG Tablet:
Some of the known substitutes of Lesuride 25 mg Tablets are:
- Levogastrol 25 mg tablet – manufactured by Alembic Pharmaceutical Limited
- Levazeo 25 mg tablet – manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Micropride 25 mg tablet – manufactured by Micro Labs Limited
- Rithem 25 mg tablet – manufactured by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Limited
Lesuride 25 MG Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
Interactions with drugs
Mixing two or more medicines may change how the drug works and may increase the risk of side-effects. A few drugs that may interact negatively with Lesuride are:
- Diltiazem: This medicine reacts with Diltiazem. Diltiazem is used to manage high blood pressure and taking Lesuride with Diltiazem can cause adverse effects. The patient must consult a doctor before taking both medicines together.
- Pregabalin: This medicine reacts with pregabalin and if both medicines are taken together then patients must monitor their health condition.
- Sucralfate: This medicine may negatively interact with sucralfate. Dose adjustment should be taken into account if these medicines are co-administered. The patient must consult a doctor before taking both medicines together.
- Tramadol: This medicine reacts with tramadol and must not be taken together as it can cause adverse effects. The patient must consult a doctor before taking both medicines together.
- Ipratropium: This medicine reacts with ipratropium and must not be taken together. The patient must consult a doctor before taking both medicines together.
Interaction with alcohol
Lesuride, when taken with alcohol, causes an increase in impaired coordination. Alcohol consumption may also reduce the effectiveness of the drug itself. Therefore, patients must abstain from taking alcohol when on this medication.
Lesuride 25 mg Tablet should not be consumed in case of:
- Heart Disease: Use of this medicine is not recommended for patients suffering from heart and blood vessel diseases.
- Gastro-intestinal bleeding: Use of this medicine is not recommended for patients suffering from abnormal bleeding in intestine and stomach. If the medicine is consumed it may cause vomiting, fever, chills, and blood in the stool.
- Prolactin imbalance: This medicine is not recommended for patients with prolactin imbalance since it raises the risk of breast cancer.
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome : This medicine is not recommended for patients suffering from Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome as it can affect the health condition adversely.
- Asthma: This medicine is not recommended for patients suffering from asthma. Patients suffering from asthma might experience symptoms such as chest pain, breathing difficulty and wheezing upon consuming the medicine.
Lesuride interacts with the following lab tests:
- Prolactin test: This medicine can affect the results of lab tests that measure the level of prolactin. As a result, a false-positive test may be reported.
Variants of Lesuride:
Variants of Lesuride are:
- Lesuride Tablet
- Lesuride Injection
- Lesuride OD 75mg Tablet
- Lesuride MPS Chewable Tablet
Lesuride 25 MG Tablet Price in India:
|Variant||Price (in INR)||Quantity|
|Lesuride 25 mg Tablet||82.00||10 Tablets|
How Lesuride 25 MG Tablet Works?
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter which is involved in the regulation of mood and behaviour. Fluctuations in the level of this neurotransmitter may cause various psychotic illnesses. Levosulpiride, which is an active ingredient of Lesuride 25 mg Tablet, is an atypical antipsychotic agent that obstructs the presynaptic dopaminergic D2 receptors. These receptors play a vital role in the production of dopamine. Binding of levosulpiride to the presynaptic dopaminergic D2 receptors normalizes the synthesis of the dopamine and aids in maintaining its level, thereby helping in the treatment of mental disorders.
How to use Lesuride 25 MG Tablet?
Lesuride 25 MG Tablet should be consumed as per the prescription of the doctor or the patient should follow the directions prescribed on the label. One must not increase or decrease the dosage without consulting the doctor. It is advised to swallow the tablet as a whole, without chewing, crushing or breaking it.
Lesuride 25 MG Tablet should be taken at least half an hour before food. Consuming the medicine after food might affect its efficacy.
When is Lesuride 25 MG Tablet Prescribed?
Lesuride is an antipsychotic and GI stimulant drug prescribed for the treatment of various conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, mental disorders, depression, heartburn, indigestion and more.
Medicines That Should Not be taken with Lesuride Tablets:
Taking Lesuride Tablet in combination with other over the counter medicines, herbal medicines or vitamin supplements may increase the risk of side effects. A few drugs that should never be taken with Lesuride Tablet are:
- Aluminium and magnesium-containing antacids
How to Store Lesuride?
Lesuride Tablet should be stored in a cool and dry place away from direct heat and sunlight. One must keep the medicine away from the reach of children and pets. The packaging of this medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
1) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery during the course of treatment with use Lesuride 25 mg tablet?
Ans: No. Lesuride 25 mg tablet may cause sleepiness or dizziness and hence it is advised to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery during the course of treatment.
2) Can Lesuride 25 mg tablet be used to treat indigestion and gastroesophageal reflux?
Ans: Yes, this medicine can be used to treat indigestion and gastroesophageal reflux but one must consult a doctor before taking this medicine.
3) Can Lesuride 25 mg tablet be classified as an antidepressant?
Ans: No. Lesuride tablet is an antipsychotic medicine and not an antidepressant. The main difference between these two is that antidepressants promote the production of some neurotransmitters whereas, antipsychotics inhibit certain neurotransmitters.
4) What should be done in case of an overdose?
Ans: In case you suspect an overdose, you must seek medical attention immediately. Some symptoms associated with overdose are severe sleepiness, a decrease in blood pressure and agitation.
5)What type of medicine is Lesuride?
Ans: Lesuride is classified as atypical antipsychotic medicine that helps reduce the dopamine activity in the brain.
6) Can Lesuride 25 mg Tablet cause erectile dysfunction?
Ans: No, Lesuride 25 mg Tablet does not cause erectile dysfunction. One must consult a doctor if the patient experiences erectile dysfunction.
7) Is it safe to take Lesuride and Omeprazole together?
Ans: Yes, it is absolutely safe to take Lesuride and Omeprazole together as they don’t interact with each other. However, one must consult a doctor before taking this medicine.
8) When should Lesuride be avoided?
Ans: Lesuride should be avoided by the patients suffering from heart-related ailments, diabetes hypokalaemia, breast cancer, epilepsy, pheochromocytoma and gastrointestinal perforation.
9) Can Lesuride be administered to children?
Ans: No, the medicine can only be administered to children above the age of 14 years.
10) How does Lesuride work?
Ans: Lesuride contains Levosulpiride thatworks by binding to the dopamine D2 receptors, thereby inhibiting their functioning. This binding aids in regulating the amount of dopamine produced by the cells.
11) What is Lesuride used for?
Ans: Lesuride is an atypical antipsychotic drug that also works as GI stimulant. It is used to treat gastrointestinal problems such as GERD, heartburn, nausea and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The medicine may also be used to relieve the symptoms associated with mental disorders such as schizophrenia, Parkinson’s diseases, anxiety disorders etc.
12) What is Lesuride used to treat?
Ans: Lesuride is used to treat gastrointestinal problems such as GERD, heartburn, nausea and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It may also be used to treat certain mental disorders such as schizophrenia, Parkinson’s diseases, anxiety disorders etc.
13) What are the side effects of Lesuride?
Ans: Lesuride is a safe medicine as long as used in accordance with the prescription of the doctor. However, in certain cases, it may show some side effects such as drowsiness, constipation, muscular cramps, sleeplessness, fever, sweating, decrease in libido, weakness and abnormal milk secretion.
14) Should I take Lesuride before food or after having food?
Ans: Lesuride should be taken at least half an hour before food. However, it is better to consult a doctor to know about the correct usage of this medicine.
15) What medicines should be avoided during the course of treatment with Lesuride?
Ans: A few drugs that should never be taken with Lesuride Tablet are Aluminium and magnesium-containing antacids, Sucralfate, Diltiazem, Pregabalin, Sucralfate and Tramadol. Combing these medicines with Lesuride may not provide the intended results.
16) Does smoking cigarettes cause any impact on functioning Lesuride Tablets?
Ans: Yes, patients who smoke regularly may require a high dose of medicine as compared to non-smokers. This is because medicine is rapidly metabolized in the people who smoke.