Extra fluid retention in the body will take place due to various reasons including liver disease, kidney disease, and heart ailments. Hence, it should be eliminated from the body in a safe way so that there are no side effects on the body. Lasix has great properties in dealing with fluid retention. However, you should be aware of the potential side effects of the drug and drug interactions. The dosage recommended by the doctor should be followed so that you can avoid various kinds of complications.
What is Lasix?
- Lasix is a Furosemide which is used to flush the extra fluid built-up in the body. It will also help in the reduction of blood pressure levels in the body so that heart failure can be prevented.
- You can also prevent various other kinds of risks associated with extra fluid built-up. The other conditions that you can prevent with the help of Lasix tablet are kidney issues, heart attack, and stroke.
- Lasix is a water pill (diuretic) which will help in increasing the production of urine. Thus, additional water and salt present in the body will be eliminated in an effortless manner.
- The medicine can be used for other purposes as well. Hence, you can ask the doctor to find more about the drug and its interactions with other drugs.
How to use Lasix?
- Lasix tablet is used to reduce high blood pressure and edema.
- The tablet should be taken once in a day.
- You should take the tablet in the morning so that the sleep disturbance can be prevented.
- When you take Lasix tablet, you should monitor the blood pressure levels and electrolytes levels in the body.
- You should not take a higher or lower dose recommended by the doctor.
- Drink plenty of water while taking the drug.
- As the risk of dizziness is present, the medicine should be used cautiously.
- If there is lightheadedness or dizziness, the symptoms should be reported to the doctor immediately.
- The drug should not be stopped abruptly without consulting the doctor.
Applications of Lasix tablet:
Lasix tablet is prescribed by a doctor to treat various health issues.
- Hypertension – There are various factors that lead to fluid build-up in the body. The fluid retention may take place due to genetic factors as well as environmental factors. Hypertension is a condition which will increase the blood pressure due to the excessive accumulation of fluids in the body. The condition can be treated by using Lasix tablet.
- Heart failure – The blood flow to various organs of the body will decrease in a person suffering from congestive heart failure. The condition should be treated at the earliest so that life can be saved. Lasix tablet will help in eliminating the excess fluids in the body.
- Edema – If there is an excess accumulation of water in the body such as hands, feet, and ankles, it can be treated by using the medication. The excess built-up will take place due to various reasons including liver cirrhosis and renal disease.
Side Effects of Lasix:
A patient may suffer from minor as well as major side effects after taking the Lasix tablet.
The following are severe side effects:
- Hearing loss
- Low calcium levels
- Low potassium levels
- Low magnesium levels
The following side effects are very rare:
- Skin rash
- Muscle spasm
The following side effects are very common:
- The sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
If there are severe side effects on your body, you should consult the doctor immediately.
The above-listed side effects are incomplete. You may experience other side effects as well. If you go through abnormal reactions or side effects after taking the drug, you should consult the doctor immediately.
Read More: Volini 50 Side Effects | Rantac 150 Side Effects
Lasix tablet should not be used by patients who are suffering from the following conditions:
Allergy – If you are allergic to Lasix or similar drugs, you should not use Lasix.
The allergic reaction to Lasix should be reported to the doctor immediately. The allergic reaction symptoms include rash, itching, swelling, trouble breathing, and dizziness. The swelling may take place in the mouth, face or throat.
Anuria – Anuria is a condition in which the kidney fails to produce urine. If you are suffering from anuria, you should not use Lasix.
- Addison’s disease
- Digitalis intoxication
- Severe hypokalaemia
- Hypovolaemia and dehydration
The complete list of side effects or contraindications is not mentioned here. Hence, you should get advice from the doctor to understand drug interactions.
Lasix Tablet Interactions:
The interaction of a drug differs from one person to another person. You should check the possibilities of interaction before taking the drug.
A drop in blood pressure levels – The blood pressure levels will drop when you consume alcohol while taking the Lasix drug. Hence, the consumption of alcohol is not recommended while using the drug.
Interaction with other drugs –
Lasix medicine may interact with other drugs such as NAID (Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) and antidepressants.
The risk of hyponatremia will increase with the consumption of reboxetine.
Antiepileptic – The risk of hyponatremia will increase with carbamazepine and the diuretic effect will reduce with phenytoin.
Aminoglycoside antibiotics – Lasix drug has the potential to lead to severe side effects with the usage of aminoglycoside, polymixins, or vancomycin antibiotics.
The drug should be used concurrently when it is absolutely necessary.
Interaction with diseases –
Lasix can interact with other health conditions. The blood glucose levels will alter in diabetics. Hence, blood glucose levels should be monitored very closely during the treatment period. The doctor will adjust the dosage or replace the drug with an alternative so that the side effects on your body can be prevented.
Antihistamines – The risk of cardiac toxicity will increase with the concurrent intake of antihistamines.
You should consult the doctor to know about various interactions after taking the drug.
Common Dosage of Lasix Tablet:
Regular dose – The regular dose (oral dose) should be consumed on a daily basis.
Missed dose – If you miss a dose, you should take it as soon as you notice it. You should skip the dose if it is time for the next dose. The dosage should not be doubled as there will be various kinds of side effects on the body.
If the medicine is given in injection form, there is no possibility of missing the dose.
Overdose – As soon as you notice that you had taken an excess oral dose, you should consult the doctor immediately.
Symptoms of overdose:
- Extremely thirsty
- Stomach cramps
- Dry mouth
Read More: Emeset Dosage | Voglibose Dosage
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Lasix Tablet:
The patient should be aware of the general warnings associated with the consumption of the drug.
Liver disease –
The patient’s condition may worsen with the injury to the liver. It may lead to liver cirrhosis or ascites.
Hence, the electrolyte levels in the body should be assessed on a regular basis. The liver function tests should be performed to understand the liver condition.
The doctor may adjust the dosage or alter the medicine as per the condition of the patient.
Electrolyte imbalance –
There will be an alteration of blood volume and electrolyte imbalance in the body.
It will lead to dizziness, dry mouth, and acid-base imbalance.
Hence, blood pressure levels and electrolytes in the body should be monitored very closely.
If the symptoms appear, the medicine should be discontinued.
The doctor will start the therapy as soon as the blood test results are normalized.
The doctor will consider a replacement drug as per the condition of the patient.
Some patients will suffer from dizziness after the consumption of the drug.
Hence, you should not operate heavy machinery or drive after the consumption of the drug.
The symptoms of dizziness or lightheadedness should be reported to the doctor.
Hearing issues –
If the patient takes intravenous injections at quick succession it may lead to hearing issues.
The risk will be high in patients who are consuming other medications as well.
If you observe changes in hearing, you should bring it to the notice of the doctor immediately.
The doctor may replace the drug as per the condition of the patient.
Who should not take Lasix?
• Lasix is not recommended in the following cases:
• Radiocontrast nephropathy – The drug should not be used as a preventive measure to deal with radiocontrast nephropathy
• Galactose intolerance – Patients suffering from rare galactose intolerance should not use Lasix.
• The medicine should not be shared with other patients even though they are suffering from similar kinds of symptoms.
Special dietary instructions
• The doctor may recommend special dietary instructions as per the condition of the patient.
• The doctor may prescribe potassium-rich foods such as bananas, raisins, and orange juice.
• Some patients should take a low-salt or low-sodium diet as per the instructions of the doctor.
Storage of the medicine
• The medicine should be stored in a container and it should be closed tightly
• Keep the medicine out of reach of children and pets
• Unused furosemide solution should be disposed of safely
• The patient should follow the scheduled visits to the hospital or clinic without fail.
• It is also important to undergo blood tests as recommended by the doctor at regular intervals
• While visiting the hospital, the case sheets including the lab reports should be taken.
Ans: If you take an oral dose, it will take about 30 to 60 minutes to experience the results
The result will be after 30 minutes if you take the intramuscular dose.
The result will be after 5 minutes if you take an intravenous dose.
The impact of the drug will be present in the body up to 6 to 8 hours after the consumption of the oral dose
If you take an intravenous dose, the result will be present for up to 2 hours.
When you are taking medications, you should avoid the consumption of alcohol. It applies to Lasix tablet as well.
The risk of adverse side effects will increase when you consume alcohol while you are on Lasix tablet
Ans: If you consume alcohol, you should not lift heavy objects. The operation of heavy machinery should be aborted when you are under the influence of alcohol. You should avoid driving as well.
Ans: No habit-forming is reported by patients after consumption of Lasix tablets.
Lasix is not recommended during pregnancy. However, the doctor may prescribe it if it is absolutely necessary.
You should discuss the pros and cons of using the drug.
If the Lasix is not as safe as per your health condition, the doctor may prescribe an alternative drug.
No. Lasix is not recommended for breastfeeding women.
However, it may be prescribed for breastfeeding mothers if it is absolutely necessary.
Before taking the medication, you should discuss the pros and cons of medicine.
If it is absolutely necessary, the doctor may prescribe other medicine as per your health condition.
Ans: Yes. There are alternatives to the Lasix drug.
Frusemide 40 mg tablet
Lasipen 40 mg tablet