Lanoxin is a medicine that will work on the myocardium. It is a group of related drugs and the drugs are present in various kinds of plants. Lanoxin is also called digoxin and is derived from the leaves of Digitalis lanata. Digitalis represents the entire group of glycosides. Digoxin is an odorless white crystal that will melt the decomposition above 230-degree centigrade.
What is Lanoxin?
Lanoxin, the cardio glycoside comes under the group of drugs that will have a profound impact on the myocardium. Glycosides are made up of 2 portions. They are sugar and cardenolide.
Lanoxin is used to treat heart failures and it will be treated along with other medications.
It can also be used to treat irregular heartbeats such as chronic atrial fibrillation.
Components of Lanoxin:
Lanoxin is available as 125 mg tablet.
It is meant for oral medication
Each tablet contains the following ingredients:
- Corn and potato starches
- Magnesium stearate
The following dyes are used in the preparation of the medicine:
- D&C Yellow No. 10
- FD&C Yellow No. 6
What is congestive heart failure?
Congestive heart failure (CHF) is a condition in which the heart’s pumping power will decrease. The muscles in the heart will become and it will impact the blood pumping capacity.
Heart failure will happen when there is a build-up of fluid around the heat and it will lead to inefficient heart pumping.
A person will develop CHF if the ventricles have insufficient pumping of blood to the body.
CHF is a life-threatening disease. Blood and other fluids will back up in the abdomen, lungs, liver and lower body when the heart’s pumping capacity decreases. If the accumulation of the blood takes place in various parts of the body, the body will become congested and it will lead to congestive heart failure.
If you find the symptoms of CHF, you should consult the doctor immediately.
Symptoms of CHF
- Weight gain
- Swelling in ankles, feet and legs
- Increase in urine volume (esp. at nights)
If the condition has become worse, there will be an irregular heartbeat.
- The cough will develop from congested lungs
- The patient suffers from wheezing
- The shortness of breath may indicate pulmonary edema.
If the symptoms are severe
- There will be chest pain and it will happen from the upper body
- Rapid breathing
- Skin color will turn into blue (due to lack of oxygen from the lungs)
The following symptoms are prominent in children:
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive sweating
- Poor feeding
What is atrial fibrillation?
Atrial fibrillation is a type of heart disease in which irregular heartbeats are observed. It will lead to decreased blood flow in the body.
When a person is suffering from atrial fibrillation, the atria (upper chambers) will beat in an irregular manner. They will lose coordination with the lower chambers (ventricles) of the heart.
Symptoms of atrial fibrillation
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
Some people will suffer from atrial fibrillation occasionally while others face it persistently. If a patient is suffering from a permanent type of disease, the heart rhythm cannot be restored.
Medications are required to control artificial fibrillation.
Uses and Benefits of Lanoxin:
By treating heart failure, there will be a great improvement in the health of the person.
- Improves the ability to walk
- Improves the ability to do physical exercise
- Improves the strength of your heart
- By treating the irregular heartbeat, you can reduce the risk of blood clots.
- It will reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke
- The drug will deliver the work by affecting certain minerals such as sodium and potassium
- The strain on the heart will decrease
- It will help in maintaining a steady heartbeat
How to use Lanoxin?
- Take Lanoxin orally with or without food
- It should be taken once in a day or as per the recommendation of the doctor
- You should measure the liquid drug by using a dropper and the dosage should be taken as per the prescription
- Avoid usage of a spoon as you may not take the exact dosage
- The drug will not be absorbed by your body if you are under certain kinds of medications or consume certain food items
- Hence, you should take the medication at least 2 hours before or after the food.
- You should wait at least 2 hours before or after taking the other medications such as cholestyramine, colestipol, or psyllium.
- If you take antacids, you should take them as far apart from the Lanoxin
- The drug should be taken regularly even though there is an improvement in symptoms. Hence, you should get a refill even before you run out of medicine.
- If you stop the medicine suddenly, the condition will become worse.
You can get complete information about the timing by asking your pharmacist or doctor.
Common Dosage of Lanoxin:
The dosage of the medication is based on the following factors:
- Health condition
- Body weight
- Medical tests
- Response to the treatment
The medication should be used at the same time on a daily basis
You should not stop the medication without consulting the doctor
If you stop the medication in an abrupt manner, there will be a great impact on your health
If there is no improvement in the condition, it should be informed to the doctor.
- Mild to moderate heart failure will be treated with Lanoxin
- The tablet is prescribed by doctors for adults
- It will improve the left ventricle ejection fraction
- It will also improve heart failure symptoms
- There will be an improved exercising capacity
- It will decrease the heart failure-related hospitalization
- Decreases the need for emergency care
However, there will not be any effect on mortality.
If possible, Lanoxin will be used with other medications such as another diuretic and angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.
Increases the myocardial contractility in pediatric patients
It will control the ventricular response rate in adult patients with atrial fibrillation.
Side effects of Lanoxin:
The following side effects may be present:
If there is a worsening of any of the symptoms listed above, you should consult the doctor immediately.
When you get any of the following side effects, you should consult the doctor on an emergency basis:
- Changes in vision
- Enlarged or tender breasts in men
- Irregular heartbeat
It is very rare to witness an allergic reaction to the medicine.
However, if you find the following symptoms, you should inform the doctor immediately:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling in throat, face and tongue
If you find any other side effects which are not listed here, you should consult the doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Lanoxin?
- If you are allergic to Lanoxin, you should inform your doctor.
- You should also inform the doctor about the allergic symptom with other similar medications
- Some people suffer from an allergic reaction with the inactive components present in the drug. The issue should be shared with the pharmacist or doctor
- You should share your medical history with the doctor before using the medication. The kidney issues and thyroid issues should be shared with the doctor
- Dizziness/blurred vision – The drug may lead to dizziness or blurred vision. Hence, you should not operate heavy machinery or drive after taking the drug.
- Limit alcohol consumption – You are advised to limit the intake of alcohol.
- Addictive drugs – If you consume controlled substances, the information should be shared with the doctor. The doctor will recommend suitable medication or prescribe alternate medicine to avoid interference with the medicine.
- Mineral balance – The mineral balance in your body will have an impact on your health. The minerals include magnesium, calcium and potassium.
- Impact of water pills – The balance of minerals in your body will be affected by the consumption of water pills. Hence, you should talk to your doctor if you are taking water pills.
- Nutritional supplement or special diet – Based on your health condition and nutritional requirement of the body, you may need to take food supplement as per the direction of the doctor.
- Share information about the medication before surgery – If you are going for surgery or special procedure, the information about the usage of Lanoxin should be shared with the doctor.
- Infants and children – Children and infants are susceptible to the drug. There will be an alteration of the heartbeat after the consumption of the drug.
- Pregnancy – If you are required to take the drug during pregnancy, you should be aware of the pros and cons of the drug. You can get complete information from the doctor.
- Breastfeeding mothers – Breastfeeding mothers should be aware of the risk factors while taking the drug. There are no reports of harm to the baby when the mother take Lanoxin while breastfeeding.
Lanoxin Interactions with Other Drugs:
The way the medications will work or increase the risk is revealed through the drug interactions.
- Share the current medication – The current medication (prescription, over-the-counter, herbal medications and food supplements) should be shared with the doctor or pharmacist as per the case.
- Start/stop/change the dosage – The dosage should not be started or stopped or changed without consulting the doctor.
- Impact of other medications – Other medications may lead to the removal of the drug (Lanoxin) effects on the body. Some of the medications which come under the category include antifungal, dronedarone, macrolide antibiotics, propafenone and rifampin.
- Cough and cold products – There are certain kinds of cough and cold-related drugs which may worsen the condition of the patient.
If the patient has taken an overdose, the doctor should be consulted immediately.
If there are severe side effects such as trouble breathing, emergency medical assistance should be taken by the patient or caregiver.
The medication should not be shared with others.
The patient should observe the medical and lab appointments as per the schedule.
The blood pressure levels and pulse should be checked regularly (while taking the drug)
Check blood pressure levels – You should check blood pressure levels on a regular basis and the information should be shared with the doctor on a regular basis
If you miss a dose, you should take it as soon as you notice it.
You should not double the dose when it is time for the next dose.
You can take the help of your family members or friends to remind the intake of medicine so that you will not miss the medicine.
If you miss the dose for more than 2 days, you should call the doctor to revise the dosage pattern.
What should be avoided after taking the drug?
You should not be dehydrated during the exercise. If you are in hot weather conditions, you should drink plenty of fluids so that you will be hydrated properly.
If you are dehydrated, it will lead to over-dosage. Hence, you should take precautionary steps.
How to Store Lanoxin?
- Store the drug in a cool and dry place
- Avoid direct exposure to the sunlight
- Keep the medication away from the reach of children and pets
- Do not store the drug in the bathroom
Who should not use Lanoxin?
Lanoxin should not be used by patients who are suffering from heart rhythm disorder (ventricular fibrillation). In this condition, the lower chambers of the heart will allow the blood to flow out from the heart.
If medications are effective in dealing with the condition of the patient, surgery or angioplasty will be done. The best procedure will be done as per the current health, age and other factors.