Type 2 diabetes is a chronic condition. If you are suffering from type 2 diabetes, it will affect the way your body handles glucose levels. Even though blood glucose appears to be normal in these patients, it will not lead to diabetes. Type 2 diabetic patients will have the production of insulin in the body. However, the cells will fail to turn glucose into energy. Insulin resistance can be overcome by using various kinds of medications. Januvia is meant to treat type 2 diabetes.
What is Januvia?
Januvia is a drug prepared with sitagliptin phosphate. Sitagliptin phosphate is nothing but an inhibitor of the dipeptidyl peptidase4 (DPP-4) enzyme.
It is soluble in water and can solve in methanol slightly. It has very slightly dissolving properties in acetone, ethanol, and acetonitrile. Sitagliptin phosphate is not soluble in isopropanol and isopropyl acetate.
The blood sugar levels (A1C) will decrease when you take Januvia once a day as per the prescription of the doctor.
As per clinical studies, it was proven that Januvia should be taken in addition to the diet and exercise to control type 2 diabetes in adults.
- Control of high blood sugar levels
- Nerve issues
- Loss of limbs
- Sexual dysfunction
The risk of heart attack or stroke will be reduced by controlling blood sugar levels.
Benefits of Januvia:
- By taking Januvia on a regular basis as per the recommendation of the doctor, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Increases incretins – Incretin is a natural substance and its levels in the body will increase after taking Januvia. You should consume it after food.
- Reduces sugar levels – The sugar produced by the liver will be reduced when you take Januvia.
Who should not use Januvia?
Januvia should not be used by people suffering from type 1 diabetes.
It should not be used for the treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis.
Common Dosage of Januvia:
- Januvia should be taken 100 mg per day. It is the standard recommended dosage by doctors.
- The drug can be taken with or without food.
- The dosage adjustment will be done for patients with renal insufficiency
- A lower dose will be recommended when Januvia is used along with other medications
The available supplies of Januvia are mentioned below:
- 100 mg tablets
- 50 mg tablets
- 25 mg tablets
Side Effects of Januvia:
There are many people who do not feel any side effects after using Januvia. However, it may lead to low blood sugar levels in the body.
The following symptoms are present in a person who is suffering from low blood sugar:
- Fast heartbeat
- Blurred vision
- Tingling in the hands
- Tingling in the feet
The patient should carry either a glucose tablet or get with him to deal with the emergency situation.
Symptoms of high blood pressure
- Rapid breathing
- Fruity breath odor
- Increased urination
If there is high blood pressure (hyperglycemia), you should inform the doctor immediately. The doctor will adjust the medication as per your needs.
Signs of an allergic reaction
The signs of an allergic reaction should be shared with the doctor. You should consult the doctor if there are the following symptoms:
- Breathing difficulty
You should bring other signs to the notice of your doctor. The other signs are mentioned below:
- Signs of heart failure (sudden weight gain, unusual tiredness, shortness of breath, swelling in feet/ankles)
- Signs of kidney issues (change in the amount of urine)
- Blisters on skin
- Joint pain
- Acute pancreatitis
- Fatal hemorrhagic pancreatitis
- Non-fatal hemorrhagic pancreatitis
- Fatal necrotizing pancreatitis
- Non-fatal necrotizing pancreatitis
After taking Januvia, the condition of the patient should be observed very carefully for signs of pancreatitis.
- Pancreatitis – If a patient is affected by pancreatitis, Januvia should be stopped immediately. The condition of the patient should be managed in an appropriate manner.
- Heart failure – Before recommending Januvia to the patient, the doctor will assess the benefits and risk factors. If the benefits outweigh the risk factors, the doctor will recommend Januvia.
- If there is a history of heart failure or renal impairment, the patient’s signs and symptoms should be observed. If medicine leads to heart failure, the medicine should be discontinued. The current latest practices for recovery should be initiated by the doctor.
- Renal impairment – Prior to the recommendation of Januvia, the renal function should be assessed. The observation should be done on a periodic basis. If there is disease insufficiency, the dosage should be adjusted. The correct dosage should be prescribed for patients and patients should follow the dosage carefully.
- Hypersensitivity – The usage of Januvia may lead to hypersensitivity. The reactions due to the drug include angioedema, anaphylaxis and exfoliation of the skin.
- Arthralgia – The consumption of the drug may lead to Arthralgia. It may develop from one day to up to many years.
- Bullous Pemphigoid – If a person suffers from Bullous Pemphigoid, immunosuppressive treatment should be provided to deliver the best results.
If you are allergic to Januvia, you should talk to your doctor. You should share any other allergic condition with the doctor.
Your medical history should be shared with the doctor so that the doctor will recommend the right medicine and dosage.
Avoid operation of heavy machinery – The operation of heavy machinery should be avoided when you are suffering from high blood sugar levels in the body. Until you maintain alertness, you should avoid various kinds of activities such as driving and operation of machinery.
The way the medications will work will be changed with the usage of the drug.
- The drug can increase the risk of side effects also.
- You should prepare a list of all the medications (both prescribed and non-prescribed) and all the details should be shared with the doctor.
- Alteration of dosage – You should not start or stop the dosage without consulting the doctor. The increasing or decreasing of the dosage should be done as per the recommendation of the doctor.
- You may not feel the heartbeat when Januvia interacts with beta-blocker medications such as propranolol and metoprolol.
- The patient should check the blood sugar levels at regular intervals and the information should be shared with the doctor. If there are symptoms of high or low blood sugar levels, you should consult the doctor immediately.
- The doctor will adjust the diabetic medication, exercise plan or diet as per your needs.
If you take an excess dosage of Januvia, there will be serious symptoms. The symptoms include difficulty breathing. Hence, you should consult the doctor immediately to overcome the condition.
You should not share the medication with others.
Storage of Januvia:
- The drug should be stored in a cool and dry place.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight and moisture.
- The drug should not be stored in a bathroom.
- Keep it away from pets and children.
- Never flush medication down in the toilet unless you are instructed to do so.
- If the medicine crosses the expiry date, you should discard the medicine safely.
Ans: No. You should limit the consumption of alcohol while taking Januvia as the risk of developing low blood sugar will take place.
Ans: If there is stress in your body due to various reasons such as infection, fever, or surgery, you should inform the doctor. If there is an increase in stress levels, the treatment plan may be changed. You might want to go for blood testing as well.
Ans: Yes, you should share information about the herbal medicines and food supplements that you are using to deal with type 2 diabetes. You should also disclose information about prescription drugs and non-prescription drugs.
Ans: The usage of medicine during pregnancy should be limited. It should be used when it is absolutely necessary. As a matter of fact, pregnancy may worsen diabetes. Hence, you should discuss your health condition with the doctor to manage diabetes in a very efficient manner.
Ans: The diet and exercises will have an impact on blood sugar levels. Hence, your physical activities and lifestyle changes should be discussed with the doctor so that suitable adjustments will be done to the dosage.
Ans: It is not proven whether the drug can pass into breast milk. However, you should consult your doctor before taking the drug.
Ans: When there are low blood sugar levels in the body, Januvia will work less. However, if you take any other medication along with Januvia, there will be a risk of developing low blood sugar levels. The dosage of insulin or sulfonylurea should be decreased when you are on Januvia.
Ans: To keep your diabetes under control, you should maintain a healthy weight. The doctor will prescribe Januvia dosage as per the current health condition. Hence, you should follow the dosage and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Exercise and intake of food will have an impact on your weight.
The doctor will prescribe the Javunia after assessing your current health condition and blood glucose levels. The dosage will be decided based on the intake of other medications as well.
Periodic blood tests are conducted to understand the impact of glucose levels on various organs in the body. If there are severe signs and symptoms of various diseases, the doctor will recommend further tests. Based on the condition of the patient, the dosage will be either increased or decreased.
If you miss a dose, you should take the drug as soon as you notice it. However, you should not take another tablet when it is time for the next dose. If you take too much of Januvia, you should consult the doctor immediately.
The requirement of the medication will change if the patient is under severe stress or trauma. If you met with an accident, the dosage adjustment should be done in consultation with the doctor. Fever and various infections will also have an impact on your health.
You should follow the prescribed diet while taking Januvia.
Check your blood sugar levels as per the suggestion of the doctor.
Read the safety information on the label before using the medication.
Ans: You should ensure that your blood sugar levels should not be too high. At the same, you should also ensure that the blood sugar levels should not be too low as well.
Diet – Diet will have an impact on your health. You should avoid nutritious food on a daily basis. The food should be distributed in small quantities throughout the day. You should avoid the consumption of large meals. Food items that will increase the sugar levels in the body should be reduced.
Exercise – Daily exercising routine will have an impact on your health. It will help in burning the fat and the excess weight can be shed in a very efficient manner.
Rest – You should take solid rest on a daily basis.
Meditation – The stress and strain accumulated on a daily basis should be overcome. By listening to music or meditation, it is possible to overcome stress and strain.