Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet is produced by Pfizer Ltd. Its primary use is to cure worm infection and Filariasis. It is also used to cure certain other medical conditions and symptoms caused due to these infections such as river blindness and swelling in the affected area.
Hetrazan is not an antibiotic. The active ingredient of this medicine belongs to a class of medication called anti-helminthic. It acts against larval as well as the fully grown parasitic worms responsible for causing filariasis. However, it is not recommended for the prevention or treatment of the infections caused by pinworms and tapeworms.
Uses & Benefits of Hetrazan:
Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet is used to treat various parasitic infections and other medical conditions and symptoms caused by them. It also helps to relieve the patient from the suffering caused due to a variety of symptoms that accompany the infection.
- Lymphatic Filariasis and Bancroft’s filariasis : Hetrazan prevents and treats a disease that causes severe swelling of the arms, legs, or genitals called Lymphatic filariasis. It is caused by Wuchereria bancrofti, Brugia malayi and Brugia timori. This medicine can also be prescribed for Bancroft’s filariasis.
- Loiasis : Loiasis is a worm infection caused by Loa loa. It affects the eyes and is transmitted through the bite of deer fly or a mango fly. Hetrazan helps to treat it.
- Toxocariasis : Hetrazan is also used for the prevention and treatment of Toxocariasis. It is an infection caused by a worm. Its symptoms may include rheumatic or neurologic disorders. Asthmatic symptoms might also show up. In rare cases, it can also lead to blindness.
- Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia : Hetrazan Tablet can also be prescribed for Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia that is spread by Wuchereria bancrofti. It causes a persistent cough that is mostly aggravated during the night. Other symptoms are low-grade fever and an enlarged spleen. This is not an exhaustive list. Hetrazan Tablet may also be used for purposes not listed here.
Read More: Voglibose 0.3 Uses | Calpol 650 Uses
Side Effects of Hetrazan:
Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet can cause certain severe and minor side effects.
- Severe Fever and chills can be one of the side effects of this medicine.
- The glands in the neck can get swollen and become severely tender.
- Severe skin rash also falls under the list of side effects of this medicine
- Visual disturbances can also be there.
- Nausea and dizziness are also the possible side effects of taking this medicine.
- This medicine can also cause headache as a side effect.
- Drowsiness is also a possible side effect of Hetrazan Tablet.
Read More: Clear Gel Side Effects | Ab Phylline 100 Side Effects
Common Dosages of Hetrazan:
Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet should be consumed as per the dose prescribed by the doctor. As far as the dosage is concerned, the most common dosages are one tablet to three tablets a day. Although the time period mentioned here cannot be taken as a standard measure of what would be your experience when you take this medicine, a period of about one week is required to get the maximum results from this medicine. Be in touch with your doctor to help him check the time period for which you need to use this tablet. This medicine is generally prescribed to be taken after food.
Read More: Althrocin 250 Dosages | Aceclofenac Paracetamol Dosages
Composition and Nature of Hetrazan:
As far as the composition of Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet is concerned, the active salt in this medicine is Diethylcarbamazine. This category of salt is not known to cause much harm to children but it can lead to allergic side effects in adults. It is available in the form of tablets and has to be taken orally. The tablet is to be consumed orally as a whole. The tablet should not be crushed, chewed, or broken. It should be kept in a dark and cool place. Keep it away from sunlight.
Read More: Amlokind AT Composition | Evion 600 Composition
How Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet works?
Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet improvises over the condition of the patient by killing the underlined worms responsible for the infection. The active salt in this medicine i.e. Diethylcarbamazine has anti-parasitic agents that inhibit the survival of the worms. However, the onset of action and duration of effect of this medicine is not yet clinically established. There is no data available on the time this medicine takes to start its action and the time for which this medicine remains active once taken. So, the dosage of the medicine should be strictly taken as prescribed by your doctor. An experienced doctor is the only one who has the expertise to judge your dosage and the duration for which you should consume the medicine.
Precautions and Warning – When to avoid Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet?
- Storage Conditions: You should store this medicine in a tightly closed container at a cool place at room temperature. It should be kept out of reach of children. Protect this medicine from excess heat, light and moisture.
- Alcohol: As the interaction of Hetrazan with alcohol is not known, you should discuss it with your doctor in case you consume alcohol.
- Pregnancy and Lactation: In case you are pregnant or lactating, please disclose it to your doctor before this medicine is prescribed. Although experts advise that diethylcarbamazine should not be consumed if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, its interaction, in this case, is not known.
- Driving: As drowsiness and dizziness can occur as side effects to this medicine, avoid driving while you are consuming it. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness as a side effect, avoid using heavy machinery too. However, if these side effects are not noticed, take an informed decision after consulting your doctor if you can drive and use heavy machinery.
- Hypersensitivity : If you are hypersensitive to the salt present in Hetrazan, discuss it with your doctor.
Inform your doctor about the already existing diseases or allergies you have. Don’t forget to mention the following if you have them:
- Cardiac disease
- Glucose-galactose malabsorption
- History of convulsions
- Patients with rare hereditary problems of galactose intolerance
- Renal disease
- Lapp lactase deficiency
- You are above 65 years of age
Substitutes for Hetrazan 100 MG Tablet:
The medicines that have the same salt composition, form, and strength are:
- Benocide Forte 100Mg Tablet manufactured by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Dicarb 100Mg Tablet manufactured by Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Benocide 100mg Tablet manufactured by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Deecee 100mg Tablet manufactured by Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Read More: Faropenem Substitutes | Fludac 20 Substitutes