Gandhak Rasayan is a versatile ayurvedic medicine that has powerful anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-viral properties. It is a broad-spectrum medicine that is used to treat a number of skin ailments such as psoriasis, scabies, eczema, itching, etc. It can also be used to treat depression, arthritis, athletic injuries, congestive heart failures, etc.
|Composition:||Haritaki, Gandhak, Amalaki, and Bahrea, Detoxified ghee, Ginger and Bhringraj|
|Uses:||Depression, Diabetes, Pain, Skin ailments, Athletic injury, Depression, Skin ailments, Congestive heart failure, Allergy, and more.|
|Side-effects:||Bloating and Loose stool|
|Precautions:||Allergy, Pregnancy, and lactating mothers.|
Uses and Benefits of Gandhak Rasayan:
Gandhak Rasayan can be used to treat conditions such as:
- Bladder disorder
- Interstitial cystitis
- Congestive heart failure
- Pain Syndromes
- Athletic injuries
- Skin Ailments
Read More: Spasmo Proxyvon Uses | Caladryl Uses
Side Effects of Gandhak Rasayan:
This may also interact with some substances or medical conditions and exhibit certain side effects. Some of the side effects of Gandhak Rasayan are:
- Loose Stool: It is advised to take Gandhak Rasayan in a required quantity as over-consumption may lead to an upset stomach.
- Bloating: Consumption of this drug in more than the required quantity may cause abdominal cramps or bloating.
Read More: CCM Side Effects | Spasmonil Side Effects
Common Dosage of Gandhak Rasayan:
The dosage of Gandhak Rasayan is based on the following:
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of drug reaction/ allergy
- Severity of disease
- A medical condition of the patient/ health history
In case if the symptoms get worst, it is advised to seek immediate medical attention.
It should be taken at a fixed time and for the duration prescribed by the doctor. It is advised to continue the prescribed course of the medicine and not to stop mid-course, especially if the patients feel improvement in their condition. It is advisable to take the medicine with water.
In case of suspicion of an overdose of the medicine, it is advised to seek immediate medical attention. Overdose or overuse of the medicine may lead to effects apart from the intended ones.
The recommended dosage of Gandhak Rasayan:
- For Adults: 1 – 3 grams in divided doses per day
- For children of 5 – 12 years of age: 250 mg – 1 gram per day in equal doses
- Children up to 5 years: 250 mg per day
Read More: Cetzine 10 Dosages | Cifran 500 Dosages
Composition and Nature of Gandhak Rasayan:
The major ingredients of Gandhak Rasayan are haritaki, gandhak, Amalaki, and bahrea detoxified ghee, ginger, and bhringraj.
- Haritaki (Harad): It is used as an anti-allergic and anti-fungal medicine that helps treat various skin problems such as rashes allergy, itching etc.
- Shuddha Gandhak: It contains amino acid which plays a vital role in the formation of antibodies, cells protein, and tissues. It also helps in blood purification and to treat skin diseases such as eczema, pimples and more.
- Giloy (Guduchi): It has blood purifying properties and helps in removing endotoxins from the body; hence it improves the skin complexion.
- Amla: It is one of the richest sources of vitamin C. It helps in nourishing the skin and scalp. It also acts a blood purifier and improves the skin complexion.
- Bahera: It has all the antibacterial properties which are helpful in treating various skin ailments.
Read More: Hetrazan 100 Composition | Sterlin M Composition
Precaution and Warning – When to Avoid It?
Patients who are using Gandhak Rasayan should note the following precautions before use:
- It is not recommended for consumption by pregnant women, women planning pregnancy, or breastfeeding women.
- If the patient is allergic to any ingredients of Gandhak Rasayan, then it is important to inform the doctor immediately before starting the course of the medicine.
- Patients should refrain from consuming alcohol while taking Gandhak Rasayan.
Substitutes of Gandhak Rasayan:
This medicine comes under the following brands:
- Dhooptapapeshwa Gandhak Rasayan
- Dabur Gandhak Rasayan
- Baidyanath Gandhak Rasayan
- Tansukh Gandhak Rasayan
- Amlasar Gandhak Rasayan
- Unjha Gandhak Rasayan
Gandhak Rasayan Interactions with Other Drugs:
Interaction with Alcohol
It is not recommended to consume alcohol when administering Gandhak Rasayan as it may cause adverse effects.
Interaction with Food
Following food items should be avoided while administering Gandhak Rasayan:
- Excessively sour food items
- Excess salt
- Pitta aggravating diet and routines
- Excessively alkaline foods and medicines
- Excess green leafy vegetables
Gandhak Rasayan Variants:
It comes in both tablet and powder form.
Gandhak Rasayan Price in India:
|Name of the medicine||Price (INR)|
|Dhooptapapeshwa Gandhak Rasayan (1mg)||118|
|Dabur Gandhak Rasayan (1mg)||72|
|Baidyanath Gandhak Rasayan||81|
|Tansukh Gandhak Rasayan (1mg)||180|
|Amlasar Gandhak Rasayan||712|
|Unjha Gandhak Rasayan (Tablets)||61|
Read More: Syndopa Plus Price | Nicip 100 Price
How to Use Gandhak Rasayan?
It is suggested to take the medicine as per the dosage and duration prescribed by the doctor. The quantity of the medicine must not exceed 2-3 gms. The medicine should be consumed with water only and is divided into doses after a meal.
How to Store Gandhak Rasayan?
- It should be stored away from the reach of pets and children.
- It should be stored away from direct sunlight.
- It should be stored in an air tight container to prevent it from coming in contact of moisture.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1) Can I consume Gandhak Rasayan along with alcohol?
Ans: No, consuming Gandhak Rasayan with alcohol may lead to severe side effects.
2) What are the components of Gandhak Rasayan?
Ans: The main active ingredient of Gandhak Rasayan is Gandhak which is a traditional ayurvedic herb and has been used in India since ancient times. Other ingredients present in the medicine are haritaki, gandhak, Amalaki, and bahrea, detoxified ghee, ginger, and bhringraj.
3) What are the storage requirements for Gandhak Rasayan?
Ans: Following are the storage requirements of Gandhak Rasayan:
- The shelf life of Gandhak Rasayan is 10 years therefore; it can be kept at room temperature.
- The medicine must be kept away from the reach of children and pets
4) How long do I need to administer Gandhak Rasayan till I see improvement in my condition?
Ans: A person may see improvement in his/her condition depending upon the way their body responds to the medicine. However, a person may witness improvement within 1 month of regular administration of the medicine.
5) How many times do I need to administer Gandhak Rasayan in a day?
Ans: The most commonly prescribed dosage for Gandhak Rasayan is 2-3gms a day.
6) Is Gandhak Rasayan safe to be consumed by lactating mothers?
Ans: Yes, Gandhak Rasayan can be administered by lactating women in low doses. The doctor may prescribe this medicine so as to increase the strength of the uterus and the lower back.
7) Is Gandhak Rasayan safe to be administered to children?
Ans: The medicine must not be administered to infants, but children above the age of 5 years can be given this medicine in low doses.
8) Is Gandhak Rasayan safe to be consumed by pregnant women?
Ans: No, Gandhak Rasayan is not considered safe to be consumed by pregnant women. The medicine may be administered by pregnant women only if deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor.
11) Do I need to avoid particular food items while administering Gandhak Rasayan?
Ans: No, Gandhak Rasayan does not interact with any food items, hence there is no need to avoid particular food items while administering this medicine. However, the doctor may ask the patient to avoid the consumption of certain food products depending upon the medical condition.
12) Can I consume it to relieve mental stress without referring to a doctor?
Ans: Yes, you can consume this drug to relieve mental stress without consulting a doctor. Gandhak Rasayan is an Ayurvedic medicine that helps to treat anxiety and depression. However, it is strongly recommended that the patients consult a doctor prior to administering the medicine.
13) Can Gandhak Rasayan be prescribed to cure pimples?
Ans: Yes, Gandhak Rasayan can be prescribed to cure pimples.
14) Can Gandhak Rasayan be prescribed for the treatment of arthritis?
Ans: Yes, it can be prescribed for the treatment of arthritis. The medicine has anti-inflammatory properties which make it a suitable medicine to alleviate inflammation from the joints and muscles.
15) Can Gandhak Rasayan be prescribed for the treatment of depression?
Ans: Yes, this can be prescribed for the treatment of depression.
16) Is it safe to drive after consuming this medication?
Ans: No, it is not safe to drive after the consumption of Gandhak Rasayan. The consumption of this medicine may cause a slight sedative effect.
17) Should I administer Gandhak Rasayan before or after having a meal?
Ans: Gandhak Rasayan can be consumed after food. However, the patients are advised to follow the instructions given by the doctor on how to consume the medicine.
18) Does this medicine have a habit-forming tendency?
Ans: No, the medicine does have any habit-forming tendencies.
19) What will happen if overdose on Gandhak Rasayan?
Ans: Overdosing on Gandhak Rasayanmay lead to severe side effects. If an overdose is suspected, patients must immediately visit a doctor.
20) What are the common side effects associated with this drug?
Ans: The common side effects associated with Gandhak Rasayan are –
- Loose stool
21) Is it available as an over-the-counter medicine?
Ans: Yes, Gandhak Rasayan is an ayurvedic medicine that can be purchased without a prescription from a doctor.
22) Can I take this medicine along with other allopathic medicines?
Ans: Consuming allopathic medicines may cause severe drug interactions therefore, consumption of both types of medicines together must be avoided. A person may consume both the drugs together only if prescribed by a doctor.
23) Can I immediately stop the consumption of this medicine as soon as I see improvement in my conditions?
Ans: No, it is not advisable to abruptly stop or alter the dosage of the medicine even if an improvement in the condition is experienced. Leaving the course of medicine in between may not completely cure the condition it has been prescribed for. The doctor must be consulted before stopping the consumption of the medicine as he may prescribe an alternate dose if side effects persist.
24) What is Gandhak Rasayan used for?
Ans: It is used for treating conditions such as:
- Bladder disorder
- Pain Syndromes
- Athletic injuries
- Skin Ailments
- Interstitial cystitis
- Congestive heart failure
25) Can this drug be prescribed to patients suffering from respiratory disorders?
Ans: Yes, the medicine can be administered to patients suffering from respiratory disorders. This is because medicine has antibacterial properties because of which can help in fighting against the bacterial infections of the respiratory system.
26) Is this medicine banned in India?
Ans: It is an ayurvedic medicine that is readily available in all medical stores in India. The medicine can be purchased without a prescription from the doctor.
27) Is it a prescription-only drug?
Ans: No, Gandhak Rasayan is not a prescription-only drug. The medicine is generally prescribed for the treatment and prevention of various medical conditions.
28) What are the general precautions and warnings to be followed while taking Gandhak Rasayan?
Ans: Followings are the warnings and precautions that must be adhered to while administering Gandhak Rasayan–
- The patients must inform the doctor about any ongoing medicines and treatment prior to starting the consumption of this drug.
- Patients hypersensitive to the ingredients present in Gandhak Rasayan must not consume the medicine as it may lead to severe side effects.
- Patients are advised not to take the medicine with certain food items to avoid adverse effects.