Seizures are a kind of symptom that arises due to a problem in the brain. Any kind of abnormal or sudden electrical activity which happens in the brain can cause seizures. There are several kinds of seizures; some of which cause only mild symptoms. Most seizures can be anywhere from 30 seconds and can last up to 2 minutes. They may not cause any kind of lasting harm but are termed as an emergency if it lasts for more than 5 minutes. Seizures can be due to head injuries, certain kinds of diseases, high fever, or sometimes even due to medicines.
There are quite a few medicines that can help with such conditions, and one such medicine is Frisium. It comes under the group of benzodiazepines. It is used for the controlling of seizures in adults and children. Now when we speak of children, it is used only above two years of age. These are initially taken only in small dosages and then increased gradually.
Uses & Benefits of Frisium:
Seizures usually happen because of the firing of neutrons happening in the brain which is uncontrolled. This medicine helps in reducing the firing rate of the neutrons.
It is generally an addition to another kind of anti-seizure drug when the doctor judges that extra control is needed for the seizures.
Adults Frisium is used for the treatment of anxiety or sleep disturbances that are a result of anxiety. Mind you, and this does not involve the normal stress which we undergo on a day-to-day basis.
In children who are more than four years, Frisium is used in addition to other drugs for the treatment of Lennox Gastaut syndrome and partial refractory.
It is understood that Frisium and other benzodiazepines should not be taken for a longer period – maybe only for a month. Unless otherwise recommended by your doctor, this should not be taken on a long-term; else it could lead to dependence.
Side Effects of Frisium:
Side effects that can occur due to Frisium are usually not experienced by all who take it. But it is best to check with your doctor if you have any doubts or concerns. The following effects have been seen in a very small percentage of patients. Most of them can be managed easily, and some just disappear with time –
Drowsiness, constipation, blurred vision, decreased sexual interest, dry mouth, loss of appetite, headache, loss of coordination of muscle, tiredness, nervousness, weight gain, and nausea.
If you feel that the above problems are getting too much to handle, please do check with your doctor.
If the following side effects take place, you should immediately report to your doctor –
Abnormal thinking, signs of anemia, agitation, memory problems, nightmares, changes in behavior, confusion, drooling, disorientation, irregular heartbeat, any signs of bleeding, hallucinations, lupus symptoms, severe skin reactions or serious allergic reactions, irregular breathing, muscle spasms that are getting frequent, fever, signs of a UTI or suicidal thoughts.
The above list of side effects is not fully complete. Some patients might undergo or face other problems. For any queries or problems, the first thing you should do is report to your doctor.
Common Dosage of Frisium:
The usual dosage of Frisium for adults starts from 5mg and can go on up to 80 mg each day. It can be taken as a single or as a double dose with meals or without. As a single dose – a dose can go up to 30 mg per day. But any dose higher than that should be split up into two doses. In case the dose is split up, then the dose with the higher range is best taken before retiring for the night. Usually, your doctor would start with doses of 5mg or 15mg each day and would gradually increase it.
For children aged between two years up to 16 years, the initial doses could be 5 mg each day. This can be gradually increased to a max of 40 mg each day. For children smaller than two years; the doses are calculated based on their body weight.
A doctor considers several things before deciding the dosage. In the case of reduced kidney or liver function, he/she may recommend smaller doses. Other medical conditions are also taken into consideration. Any changes in dosage should be done only after checking with your doctor.
Composition and Nature of Frisium:
The active ingredient in Frisium is Clobazam. The other non-medicinal ingredients are cornstarch, lactose, colloidal silicon dioxide, talc, colloidal silicon dioxide as well as magnesium stearate. Frisium does not have any kind of azo dyes, tartrazine, or sucrose.
Frisium is usually given combined with another drug. It is basically used to treat a seizure disorder which is called LGS or Lennox Gastaut Syndrome. This being said it is also given for other problems depending on your doctor’s discretion. This drug belongs to the class called a benzodiazepine. The general idea behind its work is that it helps in controlling the gamma-aminobutyric action.
How to use Frisium 5 MG Tablet?
This medicine should be taken as prescribed only. The drug is usually consumed with a glass of water. In case a dose is missed, one should take it as soon as they remember and continue with the rest of the schedule as planned. However, if it is close enough for the next dose, then it is best to skip the forgotten one. Just to make up for the forgotten dose, please do not take a double dosage. If you are confused and not sure what to do, it is best you speak to your pharmacist or doctor.
It is usually recommended that you take the medication around the same time every day. That way a schedule is maintained and you do not forget. It also needs to be taken for as long as prescribed by your doctor; not more.
This medicine needs to be stored at room temperature. Make sure that it is away from moisture and light, and always keep it away from where children can reach it.
If you need to dispose of any medication, ask the pharmacist how to do so. Please do not throw in your household garbage.
How does Frisium works?
Frisium belongs to the group of benzodiazepines. It increases the GABA action which is helpful in suppressing any excessive or abnormal activity of the brain nerve cells. It is used for the treatment of some seizure problems. It is normally used when an addition is required for other medication.
This medicine reduces the neuron firing rate which is what becomes uncontrolled and leads to seizures in the first place.
Your doctor might also suggest this medicine for other conditions which are not listed here. It is best that you thoroughly discuss this with your doctor. Also, do not stop the medicine without your doctor’s consultation. Do not give it to anyone you might think to have the same conditions or symptoms as yours.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Frisium 5 MG Tablet?
Before this medication is started, you should let your doctor know of any pre-existing allergies or conditions. Discuss any medication that you are already taking or if you are pregnant or lactating. Also, let your doctor know of the following –
- Frisium can affect breathing at times, and hence if you are asthmatic, please do inform your doctor.
- If your occupation involves handling hazardous material or driving etc., you ought to inform your doctor as Frisium can bring in some drowsiness.
- If you have any kind of kidney disorders.
- If you have any kind of liver disorders, this medication might not be the right idea for you. Check with your doctor.
- Medication like Frisium is known to bring in behavioral changes or symptoms of depression. If you have a history of depression or any symptoms, please have a talk with your doctor.
- Those with Myasthenia Gravis should not be taking this medication as it could worsen their symptoms. If the doctor prescribes this medicine, then it could require special monitoring.
- Frisium can to a large extent become habitual. Hence, it has been noticed that some undergo withdrawal symptoms like abdominal cramps, muscle pain, mood changes, agitation, tremors, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, sweating or problems in sleeping. It usually helps in gradually reducing the dosage. Do not stop the medication without the doctor’s approval or suddenly.
- Frisium is not suggested for the first term of pregnancy. And later should be used only if the benefits are thought to be worth the risk.
- This medicine can bring in more drowsiness in seniors and hence they need to be extra careful.
Substitutes for Frisium:
Here are a few medicines which can be substituted for Frisium in the case of its non-availability –
- Epiba 5 MG Tablet – Manufactured by Mankind Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Solzam 5 MG Tablet – Manufactured by Strides Shasun Limited
- Clobator 5 MG Tablet – Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Yogazam 5 MG Tablet – Manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd
- Micropenam 500 MG Injection – Manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd
- Cloba 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Lobazam 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Clozam 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Abbott
- Lobachek 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Clobakem 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Oresta 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd
- Clobium 5mg Tablet- Manufactured by Icon Life Sciences
- Clozop 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Unichem Laboratories Ltd
- Clodus 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Zydus Cadila
- Clobazap 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Medo Pharma
- Clobanil 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Linux Laboratories
- Cirazam 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Evaxo Pharma
- Gabapus 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Marc Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Zep 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Mission Research Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Epiba 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Adobe 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Solvate Laboratries Pvt Ltd
- Epizam 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Psycormedies
- Zac 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Clion 5mg Tablet – Manufactured by Alteus Biogenics Pvt Ltd
Please do not substitute any medication without consulting your doctor first.
Frisium 5 MG Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
The taking of other drugs or conditions can bring in undesirable side effects. Let’s have a look at some of the interactions –
- Alcohol can increase the sedation effects and other side effects of Frisium.
- If you are on hypnotics, other sedatives, antidepressant agents, anesthetics, anticonvulsant drugs, etc, Frisium can enhance the depressive effect.
- The use of opioids and benzodiazepines can increase the risk of respiratory depression, sedation, coma or even death.
- If you are taking antihistamines, anesthetics, muscle relaxants, antipsychotics, narcotic analgesics, azole antifungals, barbiturates or tricyclic antidepressants you need to inform your doctor as it could affect the intake of Frisium too. Your doctor might suggest that you stop the medication, change it or change the dosages.
1) Is Frisium 5 MG Tablet a narcotic, a sedative, a controlled drug, an addictive or a benzodiazepine?
Ans: Frisium belongs to the group of benzodiazepine. It is a controlled drug. However, it does not cause addiction and is not a narcotic.
2) Are valium and Frisium the same?
Ans: Both Valium and Frisium belong to the group called benzodiazepine. However, the effects of both medicines are different.
3) Is Frisium 5 MG Tablet considered safe?
Ans: Frisium is completely safe if the patient uses it only at the dosage and duration that has been prescribed to him/her by the doctor.
4) Can Frisium cause the feeling of high?
Ans: Yes, Frisium can cause you to get high. That is why it is a prescription only medicine as it also has the potential for abuse and brings in some side effects.
5) Can Frisium 5 MG Tablet make you feel tired or sleepy and bring in weight gain?
Ans: Yes, Frisium can make you feel sleepy and dizzy when you first start taking it. It can also cause a little weight gain. And it is always best to check with your doctor if you notice any changes.