Folvite tablet is used for treating anemia which is caused due to deficiency of folic acid. Folvite is also used for the treatment of kidney dialysis, treating complications of liver and during pregnancy to protect the baby from developing birth defects. Its main ingredient, Folic acid, is a man-made form of vitamin B, which is necessary for doing important functions of the body.
Folvite is also used to prevent low folate levels caused due to improper diet and intestinal problems as well. It is manufactured by Pfizer Ltd.
|Nature:||Vitamin B complex|
|Uses:||Deficiency of folic acid, anemia and|
|Side effects:||Nausea, loss of appetite and sleeping disorders|
|Precautions:||Alcohol and driving|
Uses and Benifits of Folvite:
Folvite is used for treating anemia caused due to deficiency of anemia. Folvite tablet contains a rich formulation of organic compounds such as Folic acid. It is used in the following conditions:
- Megaloblastic anemia: Folvite is used for preventing and treating a specific form of anemia in which the blood cells fail to mature.
- Folic acid deficiency: Folvite is used to supplement the body with folic acid. The deficiency is characterized by mouth ulcer, weakness, and lethargy.
- Supplementation during pregnancy: Folvite Tablet is used to supplement the body of pregnant women. Due to deficiency of folic acid during pregnancy, it results in birth defects of the child.
The usage of this medicine is very extensive and there is no specific symptom which could utilize the benefits of the Folvite Tablet effectively. This medicine was formulated in order to treat all kinds of nutrition deficiency related to conditions. Therefore, diseases or conditions such as the megaloblastic anemias and anemia due to folic deficiency are treated by this medicine.
Side Effects of Folvite:
Any kind of medicine which is synthetically produced will likely have some sort of side effects. That should come as no surprise that Folvite also falls into the same category. However, the side effects which have been noticed for the Folvite Tablets are common. For some people, synthetic medicines are much more reactive than the others. For those people, it is possible to have some form of reaction or side effects while consuming Folvite. The major side effects that have been observed during the consumption of the Folvite Tablet are listed below:
- Sleep Patterns getting disturbed
- Symptoms of Nausea
- Appetite Loss
- Feeling of fretfulness
- Sleeping disorders
- Symptoms of Biliousness
- Distentions in the abdominal area
- Allergic reactions to the Folvite Tablet.
Common Dosage of Folvite:
It should be consumed orally. Folvite tablet can be taken with or without food. The dosage depends majorly on the patient’s medical history and the opinion of the doctor prescribing Folvite. The product package for this medicine contains a very detailed instruction manual for the usage of the product.
- Missed dose: In case a patient has missed a dose, it should be taken as soon as possible. If it is already time for the next dose, the missed one should be skipped and the normal dosing schedule should be resumed. Under no circumstances should the patients consume an extra dose of Folvite Tablet to make up for the missed dose.
- Overdose: If an overdose of medicine is suspected, the doctor must be contacted immediately as it can cause abnormalities. Hence, it is advised to consume the medicine in the manner and the quantity prescribed by the doctor.
Composition and Nature of Folvite:
The composition of Folvite is what makes it quite unique. There are different kinds of salts that have been used in formulating the Folvite. The Tablet, however, comprises of mainly one very important ingredient which is known as the Folic Acid – Vitamin B9. The Vitamin B9 which is present in this medicine is also called a folate and is essentially a water-soluble Vitamin.
The folates can present themselves in many different kinds of chemical forms and are usually present in food and the body. The Folic Acid which is present in this medicine, is the synthetic form of the Vitamin B9. The Folic Acid only starts to act on the offense when it is converted to folates. The process of conversion of the Folic Acid to folates happens inside the liver. With the help of the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase, the Folic Acid is converted to tetrahydrofolate also known as the THF.
Precautions and Warnings- When to Avoid Folvite?
Following are the various warnings and precautions related to the consumption of Folvite:
- Before using Folvite, patients should inform their doctor about the on-going medicines, over the counter available products, pre-existing diseases, allergies, and existing health conditions.
- Medicine should be taken as per the directions of the medical practitioner or the directions printed on the packaging should be followed.
- In case the condition persists or worsens, the doctor should be advised.
- Treatment through folic acid is not the proper therapy for anemias, especially during deficiency of vitamin B12.
- In case of alcoholic cirrhosis, alcohol should be advised
Substitutes for Folvite:
Mentioned below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition and strength as that of Folvite, and hence can be used as its substitute.
- Folibest I 5 MG Tablet
- Folneu 5 MG Tablet
- Nicofer F 5 MG Tablet
- Pravy 5 MG Tablet
- Vitafol 5 MG Tablet
Folvite Interactions with Other Drugs:
Taking two or more medicines simultaneously may alter the effect of Folvite. This can increase the risk of side effects or cause medicine to not work properly. Patients should inform the doctor about the medicines and herbal supplements being consumed in order to prevent drug interactions.
Folvite Tablet may interact with the following medicines:
Interaction with Alcohol
The consumption of alcohol may interfere with the absorption of folic acid from the stomach. It may also cause a reduction in the efficacy of folic acid to treat certain conditions. It is advised to consult the doctor if there is an occurrence of an unwanted side effect.
Interaction with diseases
it may interact with undiagnosed anemia. In this case, it can lead to complications related to this condition.
The following are the variants of this medicine:
- Folvite MB capsule
Medicines that should not be taken with Folvite:
Patients are advised to inform the doctor about all the medicines, herbal supplements, and over the counter products they are taking in order to prevent drug interaction.
Mentioned below is the list of medicines that should not be taken with Folvite.
Folvite Tablet Price in India:
|Folvite 5 MG tablet||INR 60(Strip of 45 tablets)|
|Folvite MB capsule||INR 141(Strip of 15 soft gelatin capsules)|
How Folvite works?
Folvite contains a major ingredient which is known as the Folic Acid. The Folic Acid is a part of the B vitamins which are found in different kinds of foods such as the green leafy vegetables, dried beans and various kinds of fruits. Folic acid is also present in peas. After the intake of the medicine, the folic acid acts by helping the body produce new cells and also maintain them. The Folvite Tablets have known to help counteract the folic acid deficiency condition due to the existence of folic acid in the tablets.
How to use Folvite?
It should be administered orally as directed by the doctor. The dosage of this medicine is based on the medical condition of the patient and response to the treatment. The medicine should be taken in the duration as prescribed by the doctor. It is advised not to increase the dose or take it more often as directed.
When is Folvite Tablet prescribed?
Folvite tablets are a rich formulation of complex organic compounds such as Folic acid. It is prescribed in the following conditions:
- It is prescribed in treating cases of anemia caused due to deficiency of folic acid.
- It Tablet is also used in kidney dialysis, liver impairment and treating alcoholism.
- It helps in the production of red blood cells, synthesis of DNA and improves heart health.
It is also prescribed in pregnancy as it protects the child from developing birth defects and preventing anemia.
How to store Folvite?
It should be stored at room temperature, away from direct heat and light. It is advised not to freeze this medicine. Folvite Tablet should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
1) What happens if a patient misses a dose of Folvite?
Ans: In case if you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. But, if it is almost time for the next dose, then it is better to skip the missed one. Under no circumstances, one should take a double dose of Folvite.
2) Is Folvite addictive in nature?
Ans: No, it is not addictive in nature. All addictive medicines are classified under schedule X or H in India. It is advisable to read the packaging of the medicine for all the related information.
3) How does Folvite tablet help in pregnancy?
Ans: The tablet should be used in pregnancy as it protects the child from developing birth defects. It is beneficial for pregnant females as it helps in forming red blood cells and prevents anemia. As it contains folic acid, it helps in curing spinal cord birth defects. Although, Folvite is safe to use during pregnancy, it is advised to consult a gynecologist before administering Folvite tablet.
4) Should I take Folvite before or after having a meal?
Ans: It is advisable to take this medicine after having a meal. It is advised to take this medicine after consulting the doctor.
5) Can breastfeeding females administer Folvite?
Ans: Yes, breastfeeding females can administer Folvite. it is recommended for breastfeeding women as it is considered good for the development of the child. It contains folic acid which helps in preventing birth disorders.
6) Is it safe to use Folvite for the treatment of anemia?
Ans: Yes, Folvite is useful in treating megaloblastic anemia caused due to deficiency of folic acid. As Folic acid is a man-made form of vitamin B, it helps in forming red blood cells.
7) Can I consume alcohol while administering Folvite Tablet?
Ans: No, it is not recommended to take alcohol when consuming Folvite. This happens because alcohol has a tendency to cause drowsiness. It is suggested to consult a doctor before starting the course of the medication.
8) What precautions should be taken while administering Folvite?
Ans: One should take the following precautions while administering the medicine:
- Folvite should not be used solely to treat anemic patients suffering from vitamin B12 deficiency. Before taking this medicine, inform your doctor if you have a deficiency of vitamin B12.
- This medicine should be used only when anemia has been diagnosed and the need has been firmly established. As taking a small dose of this medicine may produce the symptoms of other forms of anemia.
- Avoid taking this medicine if you are allergic to its ingredient or have an allergic history.
- Inform your doctor about all the medicines you are taking such as prescription, non-prescription drugs, and herbal products.
9) How to take Folvite?
Ans: It is advised to take this medicine as per the doctor’s prescription. It is recommended to take doctor’s advice before taking this medicine if the signs are indicative of anemia. Folvite should be taken after having a meal with an adequate amount of water.
10) At what frequency should I use Folvite?
Ans: The medicine is prescribed to be consumed once or twice in a day. However, it is advised to take this medicine in the duration as prescribed by the doctor.
11) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery after consuming Folvite?
Ans: It is advised to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery after taking Folvite. This medicine may cause drowsiness, hypotension, and headache. Hence, it is advised to consult your doctor for recommendations specific to your body and health conditions.
12) What is the time of onset of action of Folvite?
Ans: The effect of this medicine can be observed after 2-3 weeks of taking this medicine. The peak concentration is usually attained after 1 hour of oral administration.
13) What is the function of Folvite?
Ans: This medicine contains Folic Acid, which is a man-made form of vitamin B that is helpful in carrying out important functions of the body. After taking Folvite, the Folic acid present in the medicine helps in producing new cells and helps to maintain them.
14) What happens if a patient takes an overdose of Folvite tablet?
Ans: It is advised not to use more than the prescribed dose. Taking more medicines will not improve the symptoms, rather it may cause some unwanted side effects. If you suspect that you have an overdose of this medicine, consult your doctor immediately.
15) Does taking an expired tablet of Folvite can cause harm?
Ans: No, taking a single tablet of an expired will not show any adverse effect. An expired tablet is ineffective in treating the prescribed conditions. Hence, it is important not to take expired medicine. If you are suffering from a chronic illness like heart disorder or life-threatening allergies, it is advised to keep a stock of unexpired medicines.
16) What conditions does Folvite treat?
Ans: It helps in treating the following conditions:
- Anemia caused due to inadequate folic acid Deficiency of folic acid
- Prevention of fetal neural tube defects during pregnancy
17) What are the side effects of administering Folvite?
Ans: Mentioned below is the list of side effects that may occur after consuming Folvite tablets: Irregular sleep patterns Nausea Flatulence Fretfulness. If you notice any of the above-mentioned side effects, consult a doctor immediately.
18) Can Folvite Tablet be used to treat psychological disorders?
Ans: No, this medicine is not used to treat psychological disorders.
19) What are the specific dietary instructions that I should follow while consuming Folvite?
Ans: No, there is no such specific dietary requirement that should be followed while taking this medicine.
20) When should Folvite Tablet not be used?
Ans: The medicine should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergic reaction to the medicine