Follihair is a multivitamin supplement that contains a number of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and biotin. It is recommended for use by patients suffering from hair loss, Alopecia, greying hair, biotin deficiency, skin, and hair growth, keshan disease, acne, weak nails, and other hair conditions. There are three variants of this medicine – Follihair Tablet, Follihair A Tablet, and Follihair 30S Tablet.
Follihair Tablet is manufactured by Abbott Laboratories, an American multinational company headquartered in Lake Bluff, Illinois.
|Nature||Multivitamin and biotin supplement|
|Uses||Hair fall and premature greying of hair|
|Composition||Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acid and Biotin|
|Side effects||Loss of appetite, Vomiting, Nausea, Skin rashes, Bloating, Stomach ache, and abdominal discomfort|
|Precautions||Patients having hypersensitivity to the components or suffering from renal ailments|
Uses and Benefits of Follihair:
Follihair is suitable for all types of hair. It is known to reduce hair fall, stimulates the growth of new and existing hair, nourishing the hair follicles from within and strengthening the hair from the roots.
It is mainly prescribed by dermatologists to-
- Boost the growth of new hair
- Avoid hair loss
- Strengthen hair from the roots
- Treat greying hair
- Stop premature greying of hair
- Nurture the hair follicle
These tablets are deemed safe to be used by patients regardless of the texture of their hair.
Side Effects of Follihair:
The most commonly reported side effects of administering Follihair include:
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Skin Rashes
- Dry hair
- Tightness in the chest
- Abdominal discomfort
- Loss of appetite
The other possible side effects are listed below. These do not always occur as it depends on the individual. Some of these side effects are rare but have serious consequences. In these cases, it is strongly advised to consult a doctor.
- Skin Rashes
- Dry hair
- Chest pain
- Stiffness of the face
- Cholesteric jaundice
- Stomach upset and pain
- Urge to vomit
- Oral ulcers
- Renal dysfunction
- Fanconi’s syndrome
- Renal failure
- Sore throat
- Liver toxicity
- Unusual tiredness
- Inability to focus
- Increased thirst
- Dry mouth
- chronic selenium toxicity
- Nail brittleness
- Garlic breath odor
- Hyper Manganesemia
- Stomach cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Extrapyramidal symptoms
- Blockade of portal blood vessels due to fibrosis
- Thickening of bronchial secretions
- Respiratory tract infections
- Impaired Biliary secretion
- Failure of bile secretion in the intestine
Common Dosage of Follihair:
- The recommended dosage of Follihair is one Tablet daily for a period of 3 months, or as directed by the dermatologist. This medicine must be used only under medical supervision to avoid the occurrence of any unwanted side effects.
- In the case of a missed dose, it should be taken as soon as it is remembered. However, if it is already time for the next dose, it is advisable to skip the missed dose to avoid any complications arising out of overdosing on the medicine.
- In case of a suspected overdose, it is essential to report the same to the prescribing doctor, especially on experiencing any side effects; to seek immediate medical assistance.
- The course of treatment prescribed by the doctor must be strictly adhered to and the dosage of the medicine must not be altered or stopped abruptly.
Composition and Nature of Follihair:
Follihair is a formulation that is a combination of the following active ingredients:
- Calcium Pantothenate – 50 mg
- Niacinamide – 50 mg
- Di-Methionine – 40 mg
- Zinc – 25 mg
- L-Lysine – 20 mg
- Biotin – 10 mg
- Iron – 8 mg
- Manganese – 5 mg
- L-Cysteine – 5 mg
- Copper – 2 mg
- Selenium – 50 mcg
It is essentially a multivitamin and nourishing medicine bearing biotin extract generally used to treat ailments related to hair fall and premature greying of hair.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Follihair?
It is not advisable to start using Follihair without consulting a doctor. Given below is a list of precautions to be taken and warnings to be followed while administering this medicine.
- One should avoid the consumption of alcohol during the course of Follihair Tablet.
- It is not advisable to take the medicine on an empty stomach as it affects its efficacy and absorption.
- Patients suffering from chronic kidney disease, underactive thyroid or skin cancer are advised to exercise extreme caution while administering Follihair tablets as they may cause a worsening in their symptoms or deteriorate their health.
- The medicine should not be taken for more than the prescribed duration as prolonged use is known to cause severe side effects.
- Patients having stomach ulcers are advised against the use of this medicine.
- Patients with a history of Wilson’s disease or biliary tract dysfunction should not take this medicine without consulting a doctor.
Substitutes for Follihair:
Given below are the substitutes one can take in case Follihair Tablet is not available.
- Manohexy 2Mg Tab – Tablet
- Lomofen Tabs – Tablet
- Brupal Kid Tab – Tablet
- Frussenex 100 Tab – Tablet
- Frusinex 100Mg Tabs – Tablet
Follihair Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
Interaction with Alcohol-
Follihair Tablet is known to interact with alcohol and produce adverse side effects such as excessive drowsiness among patients. Thus it is advised to avoid the consumption of alcohol during the course of Follihair Tablet.
Interaction with diseases-
Follihair Tablet must be administered with caution and only post consultation with a doctor by patients suffering from any of the following conditions, illness or diseases-
- Hypersensitivity towards the components of Follihair
- Infants and children
- Pregnant females
- Nursing mothers
- Renal patients
- Obstructive disease of the gastrointestinal tract
- Patients with a history of severe stomach ulcers
Interaction with drugs-
Follihair is known to interact with the following drugs. Thus, they should not be administered while administering this medicine.
- Tetracycline antibiotics
- Thiazide diuretics
- Valproic acid
- Etidronic acid
Follihair is available in the following variants-
- New Follihair Tablet Strip
- Follihair A Tablet
New Follihair Tablet Bottle
Follihair Tablet Price in India:
|Name of the medicine||Price (Quantity)|
|Follihair Tablets||INR 199 (10 Tablets)|
How Follihair works?
Follihair tablets contain the following ingredients-
- L- cysteine
- Calcium Pantothenate
The above mentioned elements are water soluble vitamins and minerals which are not stored in the body in significant amounts and thus need to be replenished on a regular basis.
Nutritional supplements such as Follihair provide regular and adequate upkeep of the amount of these minerals and vitamins to fulfill the requirements of the body to undertake various activities.
Deficiency of these minerals and vitamins may not be evident or have any harmful impact on the body initially. Prolonged deficiency, if not treated adequately and on time, may lead to serious health-related complications.
Thus Follihair supplements prevent such deficiencies and allow normal body functioning by aiding the quality and volume of all types of hair.
It works by acting on the scalp and rejuvenating the hair follicles in order to allow uninterrupted growth of healthy hair.
How to use Follihair?
- This tablet should be swallowed whole with water.
- It is not advisable to crush, break or chew the tablet.
- Follihair tablets are generally advised to be taken after having a meal for maximum efficacy and adequate absorption.
When is Follihair prescribed?
The multivitamin supplement is generally prescribed to nurture and rejuvenate hair follicles in order to allow uninterrupted growth of hair and improvement of hair texture and volume.
Medicines that should not be taken with Follihair Tablet:
It is not advisable to administer the following medicine along with Follihair tablets-
How to store Follihair?
- Follihair must be stored away from direct heat and sunlight.
- It must be stored in a dry and cool place.
- It must ideally be stored between 15°- 30° C
- It must be kept out of reach of pets and children
- The packaging of the medicine must not be tampered with in order to maintain its efficacy on consumption.
1) How long does it take to see improvement after consuming Follihair Tablet?
Ans: Generally, it is approximately one month. In most cases it is just one week before you experience any real improvement of your condition. However, this varies from person to person.
2) What is the dosage frequency of Follihair Tablet?
Ans: The dosage reported is once a day, and twice a day is the most common dosage. The doctor will be able to recommend the exact dosage depending on your individual medical condition.
3) Should Follihair be taken before food or after food?
Ans: Users have commonly reported consuming this tablet after food. This may not be the same in other individuals. It is best to follow doctor’s advice on how you should take the Follihair Tablet.
4) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery after consuming Follihair?
Ans: If you experience headaches, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, drowsiness or hypertension after consuming Follihair Tablet then you should refrain from driving or operating heavy machines that will endanger you and others around you.
5) Can I take my Follihair and consume alcohol and drive?
Ans: Patients should not drink alcohol and take medications since alcohol intensifies drowsiness side effects. It would be dangerous to drive under medication.
6) It Follihair Tablet addictive and habit forming?
Ans: Most medicines are not addictive or habit forming. The government categorizes such medicines where the manufacturer display the composition. This product is not habit forming or addictive.
7) Can I stop Follihair abruptly if my condition has improved?
Ans: Most medications need to be tapered or cannot be stopped abruptly because of rebound effects. Please consult your doctor who knows your medical history and can advise you adequately.
8) What is Follihair used to treat?
Ans: Follihair Tablet is mainly used for conditions such as:
- Encouraging the growth of new hair
- Treating early greying of hair
- Nurture hair follicles
- Preventing hair loss
- Reinforcing hair growth from the roots
9) Is Follihair safe for consumption?
Ans: Follihair Tablet is a broad spectrum antibiotic that is deemed safe to use provided it is taken in the exact dosage and duration as prescribed by a medical practitioner.
10) Is Follihair available as an over-the-counter medicine?
Ans: Yes, Follihair Tablet is an over-the-counter medicine that can be purchased without getting a prescription from the doctor. It inhibits hair fall and helps in hair rejuvenation and growth.
11) What is Follihair Tablet used for?
Ans: This medicine is mainly used for treating hair fall, nurturing hair follicles, and boosting hair growth.
12) What are the side effects associated with administering Follihair Tablets?
Ans: A few of the most commonly occurring side effects associated with the consumption of Follihair Tablet are
- Loss of appetite
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Skin rash
- Stomach ache
13) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery during the course of administering Follihair?
Ans: Follihair Tablet is a multivitamin nutritional supplement and is not known to cause symptoms such as dizziness or drowsiness. It is advised to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery while administering the drug if any such side effects are being experienced.
14) Can administering Follihair cause constipation?
Ans: Yes, Follihair Tablet may cause constipation or an upset stomach in a few cases. Patients having a pre-existing condition of bowel related ailments are more susceptible to suffering from constipation. It is advised to stay adequately hydrated during the course of the medicine.
15) Does Follihair help in treating a calcium deficiency?
Ans: No. Follihair Tablet is a multivitamin nutritional supplement drug that contains calcium as one of its active ingredients but cannot be used solely for the purpose of treating a calcium deficiency. It is advised to consult a doctor in order to get the appropriate medication for treating a calcium deficiency.
16) Does Follihair help in treating premature greying of hair?
Ans: Yes, Follihair Tablet is used for treating premature greying of hair and prevents hair fall. Along with improving the hair quality, it is also known to enhance the hair volume by continued use.
17) Can I consume over-the-counter Esomeprazole along with Follihair Tablet?
Ans: It is not recommended to administer over- the- counter Esomeprazole along with Follihair Tablet. This is because Esomeprazole is known to make Follihair Tablet less effective by reducing the amount of the drug being absorbed by the body. Unless prescribed by a doctor, co-administering these two drugs must be avoided.
18) Can Follihair be administered by pregnant females?
Ans: Follihair Tablet must only be used post consultation from a doctor. It is generally advised for pregnant females to avoid administering this drug. If it is absolutely necessary for the pregnant female to administer this medicine, doctor consultation is very important.
19) Can lactating mothers administer Follihair?
Ans: No, follihair Tablet is not commonly advised to be administered by lactating mothers, as it is known to pass through the breast milk in very large amounts. This can lead to adverse side effects on the health of the infant. A doctor must be consulted before administering this medicine.
20) Can I consume alcohol while administering Follihair Tablet?
Ans: It is not recommended to consume alcohol during the course of administering Follihair Tablet. This is because alcohol has the tendency to intensify excessive drowsiness in the patient if being taken alongside Follihair Tablet which in itself has a tendency to cause lethargy and sleepiness in some cases.
21) How much time does a dose of Follihair Tablet take to show effect?
Ans: Follihair Tablet is generally known to show its effect within 1 month of regular administration.
22) Should I take Follihair before or after a meal?
Ans: It is generally advised to administer Follihair Tablet after having a meal for maximum efficacy and increased absorption.
23) Can I stop taking the medicine promptly or should I ween off consumption?
Ans: It is advised to consult a doctor for dosage suggestions as per health history and condition, as stopping or starting the medicine promptly may cause adverse side effects.
24) What is the general prescribed dosage for Follihair?
Ans: The generally prescribed dosage for Follihair Tablet is 1-2 tablets per day. The dosage may be altered depending on the age and severity of the patient’s condition.
25) Is Follihair Tablet addictive in nature?
Ans: The medicine is not known to be addictive in nature. All addictive drugs in India are classified as schedule X or H and as schedule II-IV in the United States. It is advised to read the packaging label of the drug carefully for all the related information.
26) What will happen if I accidentally have an expired dose of Follihair?
Ans: Although there is no reported side effect of consuming an expired dose of Follihair Tablet, the efficacy of the drug may be hampered. It is always advised to check the label for the date of expiry before administering any medicine.
27) What is the general duration for which the medicine may be advised to be taken?
Ans: In general, doctors generally advise patients to take the medicine continuously for at least 3 months. It is considered an adequate time to access how well the medicine is working.