Flavedon MR tablet is the drug of choice for angina or severe pain in the chest. It relieves pain by creating cellular supply of oxygen in the target area. It is used as the second line anti-anginal agent. Flavedon MR is manufactured and marketed by Serdia Pharmaceuticals (India) Private Limited. It comes as modified release tablet form and is strictly a prescription drug.
Flavedon MR Tablet Composition and Nature:
Flavedon Modified Release tablet is primarily composed of active ingredient Trimetazidine 35 mg. It is a glucose metabolism activator which makes it a good anti-ischemic agent. Flavedon MR is cytoprotective in nature and prevents destruction of cardiac muscle cells by improving oxygen supply to the cells.
Flavedon MR Tablet Uses:
Flavedon MR Tablet is used in conjunction of other supportive drugs for symptomatic treatment of Angina Pectoris and Tinnitus. It is generally prescribed for long term use to control and prevent the following symptoms.
- Angina Pectoris/Myocardial Ischemia: Heart muscles undergo pathological changes before the onset of a deadly myocardial infarction or heart attack. Blockage in the coronary artery results in lower oxygenated blood supply to the cardiac muscles. Oxygen deprived heart muscles are said to be ischemic. A case of worsened myocardial ischemia leads to tissue death and painful angina. Flavedon MR Treatment helps in cardiac cell preservation by changing their metabolic pathway.
- Tinnitus/ Inner ear problems: Flavedon MR is also used for treatment of ringing in the inner ear (tinnitus) due to Meniere’s disease and improvement of inner ear ischemia. This treatment methodology is still under study.
Flavedon MR Tablet Side Effects:
Flavedon MR side effects vary from mild to severe in different patients. Side effects are not always prominent, but doctor should be contacted right away in case of experiencing severe discomfort. Common ways in which side effects manifest are listed below.
- Itching on skin and appearance of rashes,
- Allergic skin reactions to Flavedon MR.
- Lowering of blood pressure on turning from one position to another.
- Gastrointestinal disturbances like diarrhea, constipation and vomiting.
- Hepatic inflammation and damage.
- Sleeping disorders like Insomnia, parasomnia, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome and day time sleepiness.
- Rarely may it also cause adverse reactions like increased palpitations, tachycardia and arterial hypotension.
- Dizziness and headache.
- General weakness and lethargy.
- Urogenital manifestations.
Flavedon MR Tablet Dosage:
Adult Flavedon MR dosage is 60-70 mg per day in divided doses. Doctor may prescribe different dosages depending on the type and intensity of the problems. In case of a missed dosage, the dosage should be taken as soon as one remembers. But if it is already time for the next dose, double dosage should be avoided. Flavedon MR 35 mg should be swallowed whole with water, never chewed or crushed. It is better to consume the tablet during meal to avoid gastric problems or it should be taken as directed by the doctor.
How Flavedon MR Tablet Works?
Flavedon MR encourages glucose metabolism with increases intracellular Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) production without consuming more oxygen. This allows the cardiac muscles to function even in scarcity of oxygen during Angina Pectoris. The elaborate mechanism is as follows:
- During an angina attack, the cardiac cells are oxygen starved. Fatty acid oxidation in the pyruvate cycle produces pyruvic acid as energy with the expense of more oxygen.
- Flavedon MR stops the pyruvic acid cycle by interfering with 3-Ketoacyl CoA Thiolase enzyme.
- It changes the pyruvate cycle to ATP cycle or stops impaired fatty acid oxidation and promotes glucose oxidation.
- ATP cycle produces ATP molecules by consuming lesser oxygen as compared to pyruvate cycle.
- This process ensures that the cardiac cells are alive even in scarcity of oxygen by continuing ATP production.
- It also regularizes ionic and extracellular transfers during ischemia and prevents edema during oxygen deprivation.
Flavedon MR Tablet Related Warnings/ Precautions:
Before ensuing Flavedon MR treatment, doctor should be informed about any underlying disease or other treatments by the patient. Any discomfort after Flavedon MR consumption should be forwarded to the doctor without fail. There are some general precautions that should be followed by the patient.
- Alcohol might have some detrimental effects if taken with Flavedon MR. Doctor should be consulted since not much is known about the interaction.
- During pregnancy, patient should consult doctor on continuation of Flavedon MR. Though insufficient data is available; precaution must be taken to prevent fetal harm.
- Clear information is not available on its effect on lactation. Doctor’s advice should be sought.
- Those with kidney disease should consult doctor before ensuing treatment as Flavedon MR can worsen the kidney condition.
- Patients inflicted with liver disease should also exercise caution with Flavedon MR.
- Driving during treatment is not advisable since dizziness and sleepiness can impair driving skills and result in accidents.
- If patient is hypersensitive to Flavedon MR components, he/she should avoid it completely.
Flavedon MR Tablet Substitutes:
- Carvidon MR 35mg tablet from Micro Labs Limited.
- Trizid SR 35 mg tablet by Aretaeus Pharmaceuticals.
- Trivedon MR 35 mg tablet by Cipla Limited.
- Flavmox 35 mg tablet manufactured by Maxlive Pharmaceuticals Private Limited.
- Isvedon CR 35 mg tablet by Life Medicare & Biotech Private Limited.
Flavedon MR Tablet Interactions:
- Hypotension can be potentiated if anti-hypertensive drugs /diuretics /sympatholytic drugs are combined with Flavedon MR treatment.
- Flavedon MR can interact with anti-arrhythmic drugs and anesthetic medicines to cause bradycardia, arrhythmia and hypotension.
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs can diminish the anti-hypertensive effect of Flavedon MR.
- It can cause cardiac arrest if combined with Diltiazem and Verapamil.
- Flavedon MR also prolongs the action of muscle relaxants.
- It causes severe antagonistic reaction with Type A MAO inhibitors.
- Flavedon MR may also interact with diabetes medications, causing fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
Flavedon MR Tablet FAQ’s:
1) Does Flavedon MR prevent heart attack?
Ans: Flavedon MR is used for treatment of angina pectoris. It preserves heart tissues even in low oxygen supply. But it doesn’t necessarily prevent heart attack.
2) Is Flavedon MR addictive?
Ans: No, no reports suggest addictiveness of Flavedon MR. However prescribed dosage direction should be strictly followed.
3) What should be done in case of Flavedon MR overdose?
Ans: Overdosing can lead to aggravated symptoms like palpitations, dizziness and hypotension. Hence doctor should be contacted right way.
4) Can diabetics take Flavedon MR?
Ans: Flavedon MR can react with diabetic medications and cause change in blood glucose level. Doctor’s advice should be followed.
5) What is frequency of Flavedon MR consumption?
Ans: Flavedon MR is usually prescribed as two divided doses per day. Dosage may vary from patient to patient. So doctor’s direction should be followed.