Eptoin 100 MG Tablet is an anti-convulsion drug which is used to control various kinds of seizures. It relaxes muscles and is antiarrhythmic in nature. It calms down seizures and is mainly used in treating Epilepsy and Cardiac Arrhythmia as a prescription drug only.
|Nature||Anti- seizure medication|
|Side Effects||Sleepiness, increased hair growth, Osteoporosis, Anemia|
|Precautions||People with liver-related disorders, hypersensitivity and kidney ailments should avoid taking the medicine.|
It comes in tablet form with strength of 100 mg. Other forms include capsules, suspension, and intravenous injectable. It is manufactured and marketed by Abbott Healthcare Private Limited.
Uses and Benefits of Eptoin 100 MG Tablet:
It is helpful in preventing and controlling seizures or abrupt reactions, due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain. These seizures might be due to a neurological disease or post neurosurgery. Other conditions such as headaches, migraine, and irregular heartbeat can also be treated by Eptoin.
Eptoin treatment is also used for the following conditions:
- Seizures: Sudden abnormal brain activity results in involuntary spasms and vigorous shaking. This is termed as seizure. Focal seizures happen in any one part of the brain whereas generalized seizures are resulted by misfiring of entire brain. Neurological disease or injury can cause seizures.
- Epileptic Seizures: Seizures which are recurrent in nature are mostly due to a brain disorder called Epilepsy.
- Migraine: Recurring attacks of headaches of various intensities can be attributed to migraine. It helps in relieving migraine when consumed as soon as the onset of symptoms begins.
- Cardiac arrhythmia/ Cardiac arrest: Irregularity in beating of heart can cause tachycardia or bradycardia. Both conditions can result in heart attack, light headedness, chest pain and breathlessness. Eptoin relaxes cardiac muscles and eases in breathing.
Side Effects of Eptoin 100 MG Tablet:
This tablet shows different effects on different patients. Any kind of unusual reaction or problem should immediately be conveyed to the doctor.
- Decreased coordination
- Shaking of hands or feet
- Unusual facial expressions
- Trouble sleeping
- Uncontrolled eye movements
- Yellow colored eyes or skin
- Skin rash
- Slurred speech
- Tendon inflammation
- Softening of bones
- Tingling sensations
- Excessive body hair growth
- Nystagmus or Involuntary eye movement
Common Dosage of Eptoin 100 MG Tablet:
Eptoin dosage differs from patient to patient based on the form of the medicine and the severity of the condition of the patient. Eptoin tablet should be swallowed whole and should not be crushed or chewed while consumption.
- Missed Dose : In case a dose of this tablet is missed, it is advised to take the missed dose as soon as it is remembered. In case the dose is remembered when it is almost time for the next dose, it is recommended to skip the missed dose and take the next scheduled dose on time.
- Overdose : In case the patient has taken an overdose of this medicine, it is important to consult a doctor immediately to prevent possible side effects and discomfort. The most commonly associated adverse effects arising out of overdosing on Eptoin 100 MG tablet are severe neurological complications such as depression, seizures, and nervousness. Skin rashes, wheezing and fever are also common side effects. In case of a suspected overdose, a doctor must be consulted immediately to seek remedial action.
Composition and Nature of Eptoin 100 MG Tablet:
Eptoin is composed mainly of the sodium salt of phenytoin (100 mg). It falls under the group of drugs called anticonvulsants. Phenytoin sodium is a compound that effects ions channels, active cell transport and results in general cell membrane stabilization. Phenytoin is a compound derived from Hydantoin.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Eptoin 100 MG Tablet?
- Eptoin dosage should be taken at regular intervals as directed by the doctor, so as to maintain drug equilibrium in the body.
- Eptoin treatment should not be started or stopped without the prescription and consent of the doctor. Those allergic to Phenytoin should avoid this tablet.
- Driving should be avoided during the treatment phase since side effects like drowsiness, vision problems and confusion can prove to be fatal.
- Alcohol consumption should be avoided with this medicine.
- It is proven to be of fetal risk if consumed by pregnant patient. Risk evaluation must be done before prescribing this medicine to pregnant patient.
- This tablet is proven to be safe during lactation as it does not pass over through breast milk.
- Eptoin consumption might be dangerous for patients with liver disease. Doctor’s advice should be sought.
- Doctor should be informed in case of any previous or existing kidney ailment in the patient.
- It tends to raise blood sugar levels. Diabetics should seek doctor’s advice.
Substitutes of Eptoin 100 MG Tablet:
Eptoin 100 mg tablet can be substituted with any one of the following drugs as they exhibit the same effect as the medicine-
- Epsolin 100 Tablet manufactured by Zydus Cadila
- Celetoin 100 Tablet manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Epsod 100mg Tablet manufactured by Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- M Toin 100mg Tablet manufactured by Medo Pharma
- Kiptoin 100mg Tablet manufactured by Kivi Labs Ltd
- Episol 100mg Tablet manufactured by Psychotropics India Ltd
- Protoin 100mg Tablet manufactured by Sigmund Promedica
- Phetoin 100mg Tablet manufactured by Reliance Formulation Pvt Ltd
- Epsotal Tablet manufactured by Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries
- Phenos 100mg Tablet manufactured by D D Pharmaceuticals
- Phalin 100mg Tablet manufactured by Molekule India Pvt Ltd
- Seztin 100mg Tablet manufactured by Consern Pharma P Ltd
- Atoin 100mg Tablet manufactured by La Pharmaceuticals
- Pna 100mg Tablet manufactured by Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Epicent 100mg Tablet manufactured by Crescent Therapeutics Ltd
- Epsoford 100mg Tablet manufactured by Oxford Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Gentoin 100mg Tablet manufactured by Gentech Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Phenty 100mg Tablet manufactured by Chemo Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Phenozed 100mg Tablet manufactured by Scion Pharma Pvt Ltd
- Notian 100mg Tablet manufactured by Trigat Lifesciences Pvt Ltd
Eptoin 100 MG Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
The medicine may interact with certain medicines or products and show an adverse effect on the health of the patient. It is always advised to share the complete medical history with the prescribing doctor in order to prevent the occurrence of any adverse reactions arising out of co-administration.
Interaction with Medicines
The following drugs are known to adversely interact with this tablet:
- Ethinyl Estradiol
Interaction with Diseases
Patients with the following health conditions are advised to avoid using this medicine:
- Blood disorders
- Heart-related ailments
- Liver and kidney diseases
Interaction with Alcohol
It is not advised to consume alcohol while administering Eptoin 100 Mg tablet. This tablet has a tendency of causing drowsiness in some cases. Consuming alcohol while administering this medicine will intensify symptoms such as dizziness, seizures, and sleepiness.
Variants of Eptoin 100 MG Tablet:
Eptoin is available in the following variants-
- Eptoin 300 ER Tablet
- Eptoin 50 MG Injection
- Eptoin Suspension
- Eptoin 50 MG Tablet
- Eptoin 50mg/2ml Injection
Eptoin 100 MG Tablet Price in India:
|Eptoin 100 mg Tablet||INR 195.83/- (a bottle of 120 tablets)|
How Does Eptoin 100 MG Tablet Works?
- It acts on the region of motor cortex in the brain to prevent the spread of seizure activity. It lowers the heightened activity of brain stem which regulates the grand mal seizures.
- Eptoin also reduces the electrical conductivity between the brain cells, which in turn puts off any abrupt brain signal seen in seizures.
- It controls and prevents the spread of seizure activity by acting on sodium ion channels on the neuron’s cell membrane.
- It causes efflux of sodium ions from neurons and stabilizes overexcited signals which can result from environmental stimulants.
- On a cellular level, Eptoin acts as a muscle relaxant which helps it to regulate the heartbeat in case of cardiac arrhythmia.
How to use Eptoin 100 MG Tablet?
- This tablet should be swallowed whole with water.
- It is not advisable to crush, break or chew the capsules.
- Eptoin 100 MG tablet is generally advised to be taken after having a meal in order to maximize absorption and efficacy.
When is Eptoin 100 MG Tablet prescribed?
- It is generally prescribed to treat, prevent and control symptoms associated with epilepsy and various kinds of seizures.
- It may also be prescribed to treat migraine and status epilepticus.
Eptoin 100 MG Tablet Suspension form:
This medicine is also available in the form of syrup known as Eptoin Suspension. It is also used for the treatment of seizures and epilepsy. It contains 30mg/5ml Phenytoin.
Medicines that should not be taken with Eptoin 100 MG Tablet:
Eptoin may react adversely when administered along with other drugs, herbal medicines, and supplements. Informing the doctor about any ongoing treatment is necessary to avert any adverse reactions. The following medicines are advised not to be administered along with these tablets-
- Azole group of antibiotics
How to Store Eptoin 100 MG Tablet?
It is advisable to follow the below-mentioned guidelines in order to adequately store Eptoin 100 mg tablet:
- It is advisable to store this drug at a temperature not exceeding 77°F (25°C).
- It is recommended to keep the medicine away from heat, direct sunlight, and moisture.
- The medicines should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
- The packaging of the medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect on being administered.
1) Is Eptoin an addictive drug?
Ans: Eptoin has not been reported to be addictive by nature. It is a prescription- only drug that should not be used without getting a doctor’s consent. All addictive drugs in India are classified as schedule X or H and as schedule II-IV in the United States. It is advised to read the packaging label of the drug carefully for all the related information.
2) Does Eptoin fall under the category of narcotic drugs?
Ans: No, It is not a narcotic drug. It is an anti-epileptic drug that helps in treating various kinds of seizures.
3) Is Eptoin 100 mg known to cause hyponatremia?
Ans: Eptoin is not known to cause low sodium levels or hyponatremia in the body. But it may cause hypernatremia or an elevated level of sodium in the blood in some cases.
4) Does Eptoin 100 mg affects the functionality and effect of oral contraceptives?
Ans: Eptoin is capable of lowering the efficacy of oral birth control pills . Hence, an additional method of birth control might be required. It is advised to consult a doctor to get case-specific recommendations.
5) What should be done in case of an overdose of Eptoin?
Ans: Overdosing on Eptoin may lead to severe neurological manifestations such as seizures, nervousness, and depression. Other reactions may be fever, wheezing, and rashes. In case of a suspected overdose, a doctor must be contacted immediately.
6) What is Eptoin used to treat?
Ans: Eptoin is mainly used to treat, control, prevent and improve symptoms associated with various types of seizures.
7) Is Eptoin safe for consumption?
Ans: Eptoin is an anti-convulsion drug that is safe to use if taken in the exact dosage and duration as prescribed by a medical practitioner.
8) Is Eptoin available as an over- the counter medicine?
Ans: No, Eptoin is a prescription- only medicine that can only be purchased post getting a prescription from a doctor. It is not available for purchase over- the- counter.
9) What is Eptoin used for?
Ans: This medicine is mainly used for treating fits, epilepsy, cardiac arrhythmia and various kinds of seizures. It can also be prescribed to treat migraine headaches.
10) What are the side effects associated with administering Eptoin?
Ans: A few of the most commonly occurring side effects associated with the consumption of Eptoin are nausea, inflammation of the tendons, mouth ulcers, memory loss, dizziness, slurred speech, nervousness, and headache, sleepiness, increased hair growth, and blurred vision. Different patients may experience different side effects depending on their condition.
11) What are anti-convulsants?
Ans: Anti-convulsants such as Eptoin are medicines or chemical compounds present in various medicines that are used for the treatment of epileptic seizures.
12) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery post administering Eptoin?
Ans: Eptoin is an antiepileptic drug and thus is known to cause drowsiness and sleepiness in most patients. Thus, it is advised to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery while administering Eptoin.
13) Can Eptoin be used to treat migraine?
Ans: Yes. Although Eptoin is generally prescribed to control seizure activity in the brain, it can also be used to treat symptoms induced by a migraine.
14) Can lactating mothers administer Eptoin 100 mg?
Ans: No. Eptoin is not commonly advised to lactating mothers as it has the tendency to pass through the breast milk in large amounts. This can lead to adverse side effects on the health of the nursing infant. A doctor must be consulted to get case-specific recommendations.
15) Can I consume antifungal medicines along with Eptoin 100 MG Tablet?
Ans: It is not recommended to administer antifungal medicines such as Voriconazole along with Eptoin 100 MG Tablets. This is because such medicines are known to make Eptoin less effective by hampering the amount of the drug being absorbed by the body. Unless prescribed by a doctor, the interaction of these two drugs must be avoided.
16) Can I consume alcohol while administering Eptoin 100?
Ans: It is not recommended to consume alcohol while taking a dosage of Eptoin. This is because alcohol is being taken alongside Eptoin has the tendency to cause excessive drowsiness in the patients as well as decrease the absorption of the drug. Consuming alcohol during the course of the drug may also result in a heightened risk of occurrence of seizures.
17) Can Eptoin be administered by pregnant females?
Ans: Eptoin is a prescription- only medicine that must only be used post consultation from a doctor. It is generally advised for pregnant females to avoid administering this drug. If it is absolutely necessary for the pregnant female to administer this medicine, doctor consultation is very important in order to avoid any health risk to the fetus.
18) How much time does a single dose of Eptoin take to show effect?
Ans: It generally shows its effect within 12 hours of oral administration.
19) Should I take Eptoin before or after a meal?
Ans: It is generally advised to administer Eptoin after having a meal for maximum efficacy and increased absorption.
20) Can I stop taking the medicine promptly or should I slowly ween off consumption?
Ans: It is advised to consult a doctor for dosage suggestions as per health history and condition, as stopping or starting the medicine promptly can cause adverse side effects. As Eptoin is known to affect the chemical reactions in the brain, its dosage must not be altered in any way without the doctor’s consent.
21) What is the normally prescribed dosage for Eptoin?
Ans: The general prescribed dosage depends on the age, medical condition, and history of the patient to which it is being prescribed. The dosage may be altered depending on the severity of the patient’s condition.
22) Is Eptoin a pain reliever?
Ans: Eptoin is an antiepileptic drug that is used to symptoms associated with epilepsy and seizures. Although it may help it getting relief from headaches induced my migraine it is not a conventional pain killer.
23) Is Eptoin 100 Mg banned in India?
Ans: No, Eptoin 100 Mg is a prescription- only drug that is readily available in India. It must be noted that a doctor’s prescription is a must to purchase the medicine.
24) Can Eptoin 100 Mg be taken along with antacids?
Ans: No, it is not recommended to co-administer antacids with this medicine. This is because interaction for the medicine with antacids reduces its absorption in the body.