Doxt SL Capsule is used for the treatment of bacterial infections. It contains a broad-spectrum antibiotic along with beneficial bacterial spores.
Doxt SL is a prescription antibiotic which is used for treating bacterial infections ranging from acne to sexually transmitted diseases. It comes in both tablet and capsule form meant for oral administration only. Doxt SL Capsule is manufactured and marketed by Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Limited. It contains a broad-spectrum antibiotic that interferes with bacterial protein synthesis and eventually kills harmful bacteria.
Composition and Nature of Doxt SL Capsule:
Each Doxt SL Capsule is composed of two active ingredients.
- Doxycycline-100 mg
This broad-spectrum antibiotic belongs to the tetracycline family of antibiotics. It treats bacterial infection, by preventing bacterial growth.
- Lactobacillus spores- 5 billion spores
Lactobacillus spores are added to the capsule for promoting normal gut flora to prevent gastrointestinal upset. Lactobacillus also aids doxycycline in suppressing the growth of harmful bacteria.
Uses and Benifits of Doxt SL Capsule:
Doxt SL is used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections. Doxt SL prescription is given by the doctor to treat, control and prevent the following diseases and symptoms.
- It is an effective mode of treatment for acne and skin conditions of children who are allergic to cow’s milk.
- Doxt SL Capsule uses include treatment of vaginal infection in women and chronic prostatitis in men.
- Sexually transmitted diseases caused by bacteria respond well to Doxt SL treatment. Examples are pelvic inflammatory disease, gonorrhea, syphilis and chlamydia.
- It is also widely used in the treatment of respiratory infections like bronchitis, sinusitis and bacterial pneumonia.
- Doxt SL is used in the treatment of diarrhea, traveler’s diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, gastric ulcers and gastric inflammation.
- It can also treat zoonotic diseases like malaria, Lyme’s disease, and leptospirosis and Rickettsial infections.
- It also provides relief to chemotherapy patients who suffer from gastrointestinal manifestations.
Apart from the above conditions, Doxt SL prescription can be given to treat other conditions as seen fit by the doctor.
Side Effects of Doxt SL Capsule:
The constituents of Doxt SL Capsule can give rise to some unwanted effects. The doctor’s advice should be followed completely and in case of severe discomfort, the doctor should be contacted swiftly. Following is a list of side effects possible due to Doxt SL use.
- The most common Doxt SL side effects are bloating, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
- Difficulty in swallowing, sore mouth and micturition are more acute side effects of Doxt SL.
- Rarely, an increase in intracranial pressure may be seen. It may be accompanied by vision problems, dizziness and headache.
- Less common Side effects is severe intestinal condition called Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea.
- Prolonged use may cause yeast infections in the mouth and vagina.
- Allergic symptoms may manifest in a patient with tetracycline or doxycycline hypersensitivity.
- Bone loss due to calcium drainage may result in brittle bones which are prone to fractures.
Common Dosage of Doxt SL Capsule:
Doxt SL dosage and duration are decided by the doctor after the patient evaluation.
- The usual Doxt SL dosage for an adult is 2 capsules, in divided doses for the first day. The dosage is reduced to 1 capsule per day.
- For acne, the treatment course is 6-12 weeks requiring consumption of half a tablet.
- Sexually transmitted diseases require a stronger dosage. Hence two Capsules per day for 7-10 days is generally advised by the doctor.
- For treatment and prevention of zoonotic diseases and Traveler’s Diarrhea, Doxt SL dosage is prescribed by the doctor depending upon the severity of symptoms and risks.
Doxt SL Capsule should be taken with food to ensure lesser stomach upset and maximum drug absorption.
How Doxt SL Works?
Doxt SL action mechanism involves the inhibition of bacterial growth and promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria to balance the Microflora of the target area. Doxycycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic and is a derivative of tetracycline. Doxycycline molecules bind to the 30S and 50S ribosomal subunit of bacterial cells. This reversible binding blocks the attachment of aminoacyl transfer RNA to the messenger RNA of the bacteria. Without this binding, no protein synthesis can occur in the bacterial cell. Eventually, bacteria die off and there is no new growth.
Lactobacillus spores germinate in the gut to produce millions of Lactobacilli. This probiotic source produces lactic acid that aids in the clearance of unhealthy bacteria. It also improves the microenvironment of the intestine to subdue Doxt SL side effects.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Doxt SL Capsule?
Doxt SL should be taken as per the doctor’s advice, to avoid complications. A full medical history along with any ongoing treatment should be brought to the notice of the doctor.
- Doxt SL usage should be done with caution in certain conditions.
- Usage of alcohol with Doxt SL treatment may lead to unwanted effects or diminish the drug efficiency. Doctor’s advice should be sought.
- Doxt SL presents a positive fetal risk when administered to pregnant women. Hence risk evaluation is required before treatment.
- Doxt SL warnings are applicable in case of lactating women too. It may or may not pose a risk to a breastfeeding infant. Hence the doctor’s discretion should be followed.
- Patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, porphyria and myasthenia gravis are contraindicated to use Doxt SL.
- Hypersensitive individuals who have tetracycline allergy should not take Doxt SL.
- Doxt SL administration shouldn’t be done to children below 8 years of age since it may cause permanent discoloration of teeth.
- Risk evaluation is necessary for patients with kidney or liver diseases, before starting Doxt SL treatment.
- Doxt SL may cause dizziness, sleepiness and vision problems which can compromise the driving capability of the patient. Hence driving should be avoided until the completion of the treatment course.
Substitutes of Doxt SL:
Drugs with similar composition and mode of action are as follows.
- Revidox LB Capsules from Macleod Pharmaceuticals Private Limited.
- Adoxy LB Capsule by Atopic Laboratories.
- Microdox LBX Capsule from Micro Labs Limited.
- Codo Capsule manufactured by Comed Chemicals Limited.
- Doxen Tablet by Xeno Pharmacist.
Doxt SL Capsule Interactions with Other Drugs:
Doxt SL interactions with other drugs and compounds may cause adverse reactions in the patient and the drug efficacy might be compromised. Some of the drugs which are known to interact with Doxt SL are as follows.
- Antacids constituted of calcium or magnesium.
- Oral contraceptives.
- Antibiotics like penicillin and its derivatives.
- Immunosuppressant drug cyclosporine.
- Barbiturates, Narcotic pain killers and muscle relaxants.
- Carbamazepine and phenytoin.
- Anticoagulant warfarin.
Ans: No, It is not addictive in nature. However, refrain from self-medication and indiscriminate use.
Ans: Calcium-rich food like dairy products and calcium supplements can hamper drug absorption. Hence these foods should be avoided.
Ans: In case of a missed dosage, the dosage should be taken as soon as one remembers. But if it is already time for the next dose, avoid taking a double dose.
Ans: This depends on the doctor’s observation and advice. But course completion is necessary to prevent drug resistance.
Ans: Store the medicine at room temperature, away from direct heat and light. Keep it out of children’s reach and do not freeze it.