Disprin Tablet is one of the brands selling the aspirin formulation in tablet form. It is an over the counter pill mainly used for relieving headaches and pains and can be bought from any of the medical stores without any prescription. It is a part of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs also known as NSAIDs.
It is generally used for relieving pain and fever. It is used to relieve the following conditions:
- Nerve pain
- Muscle strains and sprains.
It is available in the form of tablets and is swallowed along with water. It is also available in a dissolvable form which is used for curing headaches. Though it can be used without a prescription, it is best to avoid self-medication as it also contains formulations used for thinning of the blood.
Uses and Benefits of Disprin:
Disprin is used to relieve pain associated with migraines or normal headaches. It also helps in relieving pain resulting as an effect of rheumatic diseases, muscle cramps and menstrual pain. It is also advised in low doses for thinning of the blood.
The medicine can be easily dissolved in water and are mostly taken after meals. The medicine should be consumed once it is fully dissolved.
Mentioned below are some of the instances where Disprin can be used:
- Migraine pain
- Muscle cramps
- Menstrual pain
Side Effects of Disprin:
The same drug affects different people in different manners. The same side effects are not visible in all individuals. Some people may or may not experience the side effects listed below.
Here are some common side effects:
- An upset Stomach
- Feeling of sickness with vomiting
- Bleeding in the stomach or intestines
- Increased bleeding
- Difficulty in breathing and asthma like symptoms
- Skin rashes and inflation on lips or ear
Always consult your doctor immediately in cases you experience any of these symptoms.
Common Dosage of Disprin:
The dosage is practically dependent upon the age of an individual and as directed by the doctor.
- 300-900mg every 6-hours, as required
- In cases of Rheumatic fever, initially only 15-20 mg every 6 hours should be given. Later if the fever still persists, 20mg should be given at an interval of 4-6 hours.
- In case you have missed the dose as prescribed, immediately take the missed dose, and if it is already time for the next dose, it is advised to skip the previous one and take the next scheduled dose.
- In cases of an overdose or if you see any side effects, contact your physician immediately.
Composition & Nature of Disprin:
Disprin Tablet constitutes of the following:
- Calcium Carbonate- 105mg
- Aspirin – 350mg
- Anhydrous Citric Acid- 35mg
Disprin Price in India:
- Disprin (1 strip) : INR 11
How to use Disprin Tablet?
To alleviate pain, inflammation and fever –
- Adults over 16 years should take one to three tablets every 4 to 6 hours as needed. Not more than 13 tablets should be taken within a time period of 24 hours.
In the situation of a heart attack –
- The medicine must be dissolved in a small glass of water before taking.
- Disprin direct tablets can be chewed and swallowed without any drink.
- The tablet must be taken with or after food to avoid irritation in the stomach.
How Disprin Tablet Works?
Post consumption, aspirin blocks the effects of certain enzymes which cause swelling of nerves and sensation of pain. Other than reducing pain, aspirin also helps in avoiding heart attacks, as it prevents the clotting of blood platelets by making the blood thin resulting in improved blood flow to arteries.
When Disprin is prescribed?
It is prescribed to prevent clots in blood vessels and to relive minor pain and inflammation. The medicine is also prescribed when people are suffering from headache, toothache, joint pain and muscle pain.
Warnings/Precautions- When to avoid Disprin Tablet?
Disprin should only be consumed when necessary. Some of the precautions that should be taken while consuming the medicine are listed below:
- Pregnancy/Breast Feeding: It is not advisable for pregnant or lactating mothers to take the medicine.
- Reye’s syndrome: It is not advisable for children suffering from influenza as it increases the risk of Reye’s syndrome which affects the brain and liver in children.
- Ulceration: Any NSAID medicine increases the risk of bleeding in patients suffering from gastrointestinal diseases or ulceration.
- Cardiovascular Risks: Studies suggests that any dose of This medicine above 3500mg increases the risk of stroke as it causes sodium and water retention in the body. Special precautions should be taken for patients suffering from hypertension.
- Respiratory effects: People suffering from asthma should avoid taking this medicine as it is not recommended for them.
- Consumption of It should be stopped a few days before any surgical procedure is to be performed, in order to reduce the bleeding time.
- The Medicine should not be consumed with any other product containing aspirin as its combination may be fatal.
Substitutes For Disprin:
Listed below are some of the substitutes of Disprin Tablet, containing the same drug:
- Acetaminophen: It is a pain relief medicine and can be used in the form of Injection, Oral Drops, Oral Gel and pills.
- Panadol: It can be used for relieving of pain, fever and tooth ache.
- Ibuprofen: It is used for the same issues listed above and is available in the form of pill, gel and injection.
Disprin Interactions with Other Drugs:
Different drugs interact differently with various substances. The behavior of drugs differs from patient to patient.
Listed below are a few of the common interactions:
- It should never be consumed with any other aspirin-containing products as this may lead to severe adverse effects.
- If taken along with corticosteroids, it increases the risk of excessive bleeding.
- It should be avoided in pregnancy, during the first and second trimester especially, as it adversely affects the foetal development.
- It also affects female fertility and causes impairment, but these side effects are rare.
- There are presently no reports on interactions available for Alcohol, the effect on driving or food.
Medicines that should not be taken with Disprin:
The following medicine may show harmful interactions with Disprin –
- Sodium Bicarbonate
How to Store Disprin?
- The medicine must be stored at a cool and dry place.
- It must be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- Do not keep the medicine in the direct sunlight or heat.
- Do not keep the medicine at a place where it can retain moisture like near the kitchen sink or bathroom.
Is Disprin Banned in India?
No, the medicine is not banned in India. It is one of the most common medicines prescribed during the conditions like headache, joint pain, muscle pain and toothache.
1) How do I take Disprin?
Ans: It can be taken orally or can be dissolved in water for consumption.
2) How many times should I take Disprin?
Ans: The medicine should not be consumed more than twice a day.
3) Is Disprin safe to use?
Ans: Yes, if consumed in advised quantity.
4) When should I consume Disprin?
Ans: Ideally it should be consumed post meals.
5) What is Disprin Tablet used to treat?
Ans: It is used to treat headaches, toothaches, pain in the joint and muscles.
6) What is the medicine used for?
Ans: It is used to relieve the symptoms of conditions like fibrositis, muscle aches and pains, joint swelling and stiffness. It is also used to improve survival in emergency situation of a heart attack.
7) What are the side effects of Disprin Tablet?
Ans: Some of the side effects associated with Disprin include abdominal pain, irregular heartbeat, constipation, heartburn, acid or sour stomach, skin rashes, irritability, drowsiness, yellow colored eyes or skin, ulceration or bleeding in the stomach or intestines, sensation of ringing, or other noise in the ears, allergic reactions such as skin rash, swelling of the lips, tongue and throat.
8) Is Disprin safe for pregnant women?
Ans: It is not safe for pregnant women as it may cause severe deformities in the developing fetus. In severe cases, the doctor must be consulted before taking this medicine.
9) Can Disprin Tablet be taken by lactating mothers?
Ans: The drug could pose a severe threat to the baby, therefore; lactating mothers should not consume Disprin.
10) Is it safe to take Disprin with alcohol?
Ans: Taking medicine with alcohol increases the risk of stomach bleeding. Therefore, do not take alcohol when you are taking Disprin.
11) When should one refrain from using Disprin?
Ans: It must not be used in case a patient suffers from peptic ulcer disease or any other bleeding disorder. It must also be avoided if the person is allergic to its contents.
12) Is Disprin habit forming?
Ans: No habit forming tendency has ever been reported with the use of Disprin.
13) Does Disprin tablet help prevent heart attack?
Ans: Disprin does not prevent heart attack, however, it increases the chances of surviving a heart attack.
14) Can Disprin be taken with coffee?
Ans: Disprin already contains caffeine as an ingredient which helps relieve pain in the body. It is safe to take coffee with disprin; however, it is advised to consult a doctor beforehand to avoid any risk of overdose.
15) Is Disprin safe for use by pregnant women?
Ans: Use of Disprin should be avoided in the third trimester of pregnancy as it may harm the fetus and extend the labor duration. It also increases the risk of bleeding in both mother and infant at the time of delivery.
16) Is aspirin safe to consume with paracetamol?
Ans: Yes, it is safe to consume both medicines simultaneously as they do not contain the same ingredient. However, it is advised to consult a medical practitioner before doing so in order to ensure that they do not interact with each other.
17) Can Disprin be taken with milk?
Ans: Yes, It can be taken with milk but not on an empty stomach. However, it should not be taken for a longer duration as it may cause side effects.
18) What is the difference between aspirin and Disprin?
Ans: It is a brand name of Aspirin. Disprin contains acetylsalicylic acid as its main ingredient, which is also known as Aspirin.
19) Is Disprin good for headaches?
Ans: Yes, it provides fast relief from headache.
20) When should the use of Disprin be avoided?
Ans: The medicine should be avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding women. Patients with history or active bleeding disorders as well as allergy to Disprin should not use the medicine.