The female body comprises several complex and interrelated mechanisms that work in tandem with each other for the upkeep of the health of a woman. However, a slight imbalance or deviation in any one of those mechanisms may lead to an array of problems that require urgent and thorough medical attention.
Irregularities in the menstrual cycle are one of the prime causes of concern in women in today’s day and age, with increased stress levels and a fast-paced lifestyle that leaves a lot to be desired as far as health care is concerned. The Deviry tablet is one such medication that is designed to deal with exactly this class of problems.
What is Deviry?
The Deviry tablet is a general-purpose progestin tablet that is available as an over-the-counter product across the world. It can easily be purchased at any medical store near you, upon producing a valid prescription from the doctor. Manufactured and marketed by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Deviry tablet finds extensive use among women to maintain a healthy lifestyle by hormone regulation and maintenance. The action of the Deviry tablet is similar to that of the hormone progesterone, and it is also prescribed to the patient in the event of abnormal uterine bleeding.
Composition and Nature of Deviry:
The Deviry tablet belongs to a class of medications known as progestin. Progestin is generally used in the prevention and treatment of several gynaecological conditions, as well as hormone therapy in women. The main active ingredient in the Deviry tablet is medroxyprogesterone. Medroxyprogesterone is a carbon and hydrogen-based chemical compound, and the variant of it that is used in medication for human beings is known by the name medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA). The action of medroxyprogesterone includes regulation of ovulation (the process of release of an egg from the ovary of a woman).
Medroxyprogesterone is more commonly used as MPA in medicine instead of its pure form is because MPA is less potent than progesterone, which makes it easier to combine it with other ingredients in the medicine. In the Deviry tablet, medroxyprogesterone is present as 10 mg per tablet in concentration.
Uses and Benefits of Deviry:
The Deviry tablet is prescribed to patients for the treatment as well as prevention of a wide range of medical conditions, which include but are not limited to the following:
- The treatment of irregular or absent menstrual periods in women is a major cause of concern, and the Deviry tablet is used to treat.
- Endometriosis: it is a medical condition in which the inner tissue lining of the uterus grows outside or on the walls of the uterus. It is generally characterized by pain and menstrual irregularity.
- Endometrial hyperplasia: the Deviry tablet is also used for the treatment of endometrial hyperplasia, a condition in which the lining of the uterus grows abnormally thick. This abnormal thickening of the uterine lining is usually attributed to an increase in the number of endometrial glands and is most commonly observed in younger women (who recently started their periods), or older women nearing their menopause.
- Abnormal uterine bleeding: abnormal uterine bleeding is a phenomenon commonly observed in women wherein they experience vaginal bleeding outside of their regular period days. It can be caused due to hormonal imbalance, as well as due to the decreased level of progesterone in the body.
Side Effects of Deviry:
Many times, the medication we ingest reacts adversely with other medication or just our body in general to produce side effects. Some of the possible side effects experienced by patients upon consumption of the Deviry tablet are as follows:
- Weight gain is a common side effect of the Deviry tablet, as it tweaks the hormonal balance of the body.
- Depression and mood swings
- Hot flashes
- Joint pain
- Breast pain and tenderness
- Loss of vision and/or blurred vision are rare but severe side effects of the Deviry tablet
- Swelling of face, lips, eyelids, tongue and hands
- White discharge through the vagina
- Shortness of breath and increased fatigue
- Hair loss
- Headache and dizziness
- Nausea and vomiting
In case the patient is allergic to one or more of the ingredients of the Deviry tablet, they may experience symptoms of allergy. In such a situation, it is strongly advised that the patient seeks out medical help from a doctor and gets the dose of the medicine readjusted.
Common Dosage of Deviry:
The dose of Deviry tablet is limited to one or two tablets per day, depending upon the severity of the situation of the patient. Each tablet should be swallowed whole, and for best results, it is advised to take the tablet(s) at a fixed time each day.
How Deviry Works?
The Deviry tablet is a progestin, and it works by making up for the lack of natural progesterone in the body of the patient. This helps in the regulation of menstrual cycles, outgrowth as well as the thickening of the uterine lining, and other related gynaecological conditions.
The main active ingredient of the medicine, medroxyprogesterone replaces the natural progesterone and treats all the above-mentioned conditions.
Precautions and Warnings – When to Avoid Deviry?
- Pregnant women are not recommended to use the Deviry tablet, as increased levels of progesterone may have adverse effects on the foetus.
- The use of this medicine is not recommended for breastfeeding women. However, the patient must confer with their medical expert for appropriate replacements.
- The prolonged use of the Deviry tablet is known to have damaging effects on the bone density of the patient by decreasing it. This makes the patient more susceptible to fractures.
- If the patient is taking other medicines at the same time as the Deviry tablet, they must inform their doctor of the same to avoid antagonistic interactions of two or more medicines.
Substitutes of Deviry:
Any of the progestin medicines can serve as a viable alternative for the Deviry tablet, some of which include the following:
- Medrogest 10 mg tablet – Maneesh Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Medolin 10 mg tablet- Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Meprate 10 mg tablet – Serum Institute of India Ltd
- Dub 10 mg tablet – Unicure India Pvt Ltd
- Medona 10 mg tablet – West-Coast Pharmaceutical Works Ltd
- Empeea 10 mg tablet – Pfizer Ltd