Crocin Tablet is one of the most common analgesic pain-relievers in India. It contains Paracetamol – 500mg to treat mild to moderate body aches. It is, basically, an extremely popular drug in India that is used to provide temporary relief from high fever, muscle pain, headache, menstrual cramps, body aches and also toothaches.
The optizorb technology used in this tablet helps in rapid action of the tablet to provide immediate relief. There are several types of Crocin Tablets available in the market – Crocin Cold and Flu Max, Crocin Advance , Crocin Pain Relief, etc.
Uses and Benefits of Crocin:
Crocin, manufactured by Glaxo Pharmaceutical Company, is mainly used to relief fever and all forms of pains including:
- Body Ache
- Menstrual Cramps
- Muscle and Joint Pains
- Pain of Arthritis
- Post Operation Pains
However, the dosage should be prescribed by your doctor. It is usually swallowed with water after meals. It is advisable not to chew this tablet. Crocin, being a very popular and easily available drug, can be bought from any local pharmacy at very cheap price.
Side Effects of Crocin:
Even though, it is a very commonly used tablet, Crocin also comes with some side effects.
Some of the side effects of tablet are as follows:
- Vomiting or Nausea
- Allergic Reaction on Skin
- Gastric Ulcer or Mouth Ulcer
- Liver Damage
- Shortness of breathing
These side effects are not very common. Some of the side effects like Anemia or Ulcer are very rarely found. But it is advisable that if you have any of these symptoms while taking this medicine, inform your doctor immediately. Do not hesitate to consult your doctor in case you notice symptoms like blurred vision. Generally, people who use this drug for fever or muscle pain or menstrual cramps may not notice side effects.
Common Dosage Of Crocin:
The dosage of the medicine should be specified by your physician. Take the prescribed dose of Crocin only. It is advisable to take this tablet immediately after having food. The tablet will start action within 5 to 10 minutes and the action may last for next 4 hours.
Composition and Nature of Crocin Tablet:
The major functions of Crocin Tablet are to provide relief from pain and reduce fever. It consists of Paracetamol – 500mg which acts as both analgesic and antipyretic. Analgesic provides instant pain relief and antipyretic subside fever rapidly. The optizorb technology in the medicine facilitates quicker dissolution of the medicine and, hence, helping in the fast absorption of this medicine, this, in turn, contributes to faster action.
Precautions and Warnings: When To Avoid Crocin?
It is absolutely necessary before taking Crocin Tablets that you consult your physician to identify if you are suffering from the following medical conditions:
- Make sure whether or not you are allergic to the components of the drug.
- Check if you have any liver condition.
- Make sure if you are hypersensitive.
Once you check your health conditions, you need to follow few more precautions while using this drug:
- It is advisable not to have more than three tablets a day. Overall dosage should not exceed 4g per day.
- Do not hesitate to consult your physician if you do not get relief after consuming the drug.
- Do not forget to check the expiry date of the tablets before purchasing it.
- Store the drug at normal temperature and away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Women who take the drug as menstrual pain relief, please consult your gynecologist before using the tablet regularly.
- It is advisable not to consume the medicine on empty stomach. Always consume the tablet after having food. Taking the tablet on empty stomach could cause acidity.
Substitutes for Crocin Tablet:
Medicines with the same composition and function can be used as a substitute for this tablet.
Some of the substitutes are:
- Dolo 650 Tablet
- Combiflam Tablet
- Parafast 500 MG Tablet
- Temfix 500 MG Tablet
Crocin Tablet Interactions with Other Drugs:
Interaction with Alcohol
- This medicine could cause severe liver damage if taken with alcohol. Taking this drug along with alcohol is not recommended.
Interaction with Other Medicines
- Moderate Interaction – The medicine interacts moderately with medicines like Carbamazepine and Phenytoin. If you take any of these medicines do not forget to inform your physician before taking Crocin along with these drugs.
- Severe Interaction – The medicine interacts severely with medicines like Leflunomide and Prelocaine. If you take any of these medicines, consult your doctor before taking Crocin.
Crocin is available in two suspension forms –
- Crocin 120- The syrup helps to relieve fever, headache and earache in children between the age group of 1- 5 years. The medicine also provides quick relief to children having a sensitive stomach. The syrup is available in flavours such as strawberry, peppermint and mixed fruit.
- Crocin 240 D- The syrup helps to alleviate symptoms such as headache, earache and fever in children between the age groups 5 – 12 years. The medicine can also be prescribed to children to provide instant relief from an upset stomach.
Crocin Baby Syrup
‘Crocin drops’ is cold syrup for infants suffering from mild fever and headache. The medicine can be prescribed to infants who are teething and exhibit symptoms of cold and flu. The medicine is composed of paracetamol and can be administered to infants falling in the age group of 2-12 months.
Crocin Tablet Variants:
The following are the variants of the medicine:
- Crocin 650 mg tablet
- Crocin pain relief tablet
- Crocin baby drops peppermint
- Crocin cold & flu max tablet
- Epilight advance 1000 tablet
Crocin Tablet Price in India:
- Crocin 650 mg tablet : INR 27
- Crocin pain relief tablet : INR 57
- Crocin baby drops peppermint : INR 33
- Crocin cold & flu max tablet : INR 47
- Epilight advance 1000 tablet : INR 4645
How to use Crocin?
Crocin tablet is mainly used for treating headaches, dental pain and arthritis. If the medicine is taken daily, then the missed dose should be taken as possible. It is advised to take this medicine as told by the doctor. It can be taken with or without food. One should take the medicine in large quantities. Usage should not exceed the recommended dosage limit in a day.
When is Crocin prescribed?
- Fever: Its ingredient paracetamol helps in treating both fever and pain. It is used to relieve fever and mild to moderate pain, without treating its underlying cause.
- Headache: The medicine is also used to treat moderate pain such as headache, migraine and backache.
- Muscle Pain: Crocin 650 mg provides fast relief from mild to moderate pain such as body pain, back pain and neck pain.
- Menstrual Cramps: Medicines containing 500 mg of paracetamol and 65 mg of caffeine are effective in treating menstrual pain, than paracetamol alone.
Is Crocin Banned in India?
Crocin is not banned if it contains one active drug (e.g. Paracetamol). While it’s other variant, Crocin Cold, that contains Paracetamol, Phenylephrine and Caffeine, is not banned.
Do not take this medicine without consulting your doctor.
Medicines not to be taken with Crocin:
People who are taking medicines, either on prescription or over-the-counter, are not sure about the time to take them, especially in relation to meal times. There are chances that medicines can influence each other producing an increased effect, side effects or decreased effectiveness of one of the drugs. This is called drug interaction.
Mentioned below is the list of medicines that should not be taken with Crocin.
- Carbamazepine: This combination can cause joint pain, skin rash and loss of appetite. Any of these symptoms should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Phenytoin : Avoid taking crocin with phenytoin as it may cause fever, joint pain and loss of appetite. Patent should immediately talk to the doctor if he or she notices any of the mentioned symptoms.
- Sodium nitrate: This combination should be avoided as it can cause discoloration of skin, rashes and dizziness . Such symptoms should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Leflunomide : It is not advised to take leflunomide with crocin as it causes side effects like chills, fever and nausea.
- Prilocaine: Taking this combination can cause headache, rashes and increased heartbeat. Patients should immediately report to the doctor if they notice any of the following symptoms.
Storage Requirements for Crocin:
The medicine should be stored in a cool dry place, away from sunlight. Try to keep the medicine at place in homes where children cannot reach it. Patients suffering from heart or liver disorder should seek medical advice before taking the drug.
There are two variants of Crocin suspension:
- Crocin 120 suspension strawberry: This suspension is useful in treating fever, earache and headache in children. It is available in different flavors such as peppermint, strawberry and mixed fruit. It should be taken under medical supervision only.
- Crocin 240 DS Suspension mixed fruit: It provides relief and is sensitive on the sensitive stomach of children. This suspension is available in flavors like peppermint, strawberry and mixed fruit.
When to take Crocin?
It is usually taken to cure fever and relieve pain in case of backache, dental pain and arthritis. It is also given to patients suffering from cancer or who are about to undergo any surgery.
Crocin should be taken Before and after Food?
It is completely safe to take Crocin with or with a glass of milk. It does not causes stomach lining inside the intestine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1) What should be done if a dose of Crocin tablet is missed?
Ans: In case you missed a dose of the medicine then take it as soon as possible. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose.
2) Is it safe to drive a vehicle after consuming drug?
Ans: Normally, it is safe to drive a vehicle after consuming this medicine. If drowsiness is experienced as a side effect of consuming Crocin, one should avoid driving a vehicle.
3) Is it safe to consume drug with alcohol?
Ans: Consuming alcohol while consuming the drug is absolutely not recommended. Alcohol consumption along with Crocin Tablet elevates the possibility of getting severe side effects. This may also lead to excessive dizziness and drowsiness. It is wise to avoid alcohol when consuming Crocin.
4) What to be done in case of Crocin overdose?
Ans: In case of Crocin overdose, patients should seek immediate medical attention.
5) What should be done if an expired Crocin Tablet has been consumed?
Ans: Consuming an expired Crocin Tablet may not cause any serious damage to your body. But feel free to consult your physician to ensure your safety.
6) What does Optizorb technology mean?
Ans: Optizorb technology used in Crocin means faster dissolution of the tablet, better rate of absorption by the body and rapid action of the medicine. This technology helps the paracetamol to show effect within 5 minutes.
7) How does crocin works?
Ans: Crocin is a pain relief that can be taken both orally and intravenously. It constraints the enzyme function in the brain which treats pain and fever. It activates certain receptors in the brain that reduces pain signals.
8) What precautions I should take before taking the medicine?
- crocin contains paracetamol and it should not be taken with other medicine containing paracetamol.
- If you are suffering from liver or kidney disorder
- Make sure you consult your doctor if you are taking warfarin or similar medicines for blood thinning.
- Do not use crocin if you are allergic to paracetamol.
- Do not overdose as it may cause harm to the liver.
9) Is it safe to take the drung during pregnancy?
Ans: The medicine does not cause any harm to the fetus. But it should be only used under medical supervision. Oral administration should be only taken intravenously.
10) Are Crocin and Crocin Advance same?
Ans: Both medicines are used to cure fever, headache and dental pain by reducing the activity of chemicals in the body. But crocin advance belongs to NSAID, while crocin is a mild analgesic.
11) How Does Crocin Work?
Ans: The medicine contains paracetamol as its main active ingredient. The medicine acts primarily on the central nervous system and increases the pain threshold by inhibiting the two isoforms of cyclooxygenase enzyme namely COX-1 and COX-2. The medicine also inhibits the activity of COX-3 enzyme which is another variant of COX enzyme. All these enzymes are involved in the synthesis of prostaglandins the pain and inflammation-inducing chemicals in the body.
12) Are Paracetamol And Crocin The Same?
Ans: No, paracetamol and Crocin are not the same. Paracetamol is the chief ingredient of Crocin tablets. Crocin is a brand which uses paracetamol in various strengths to generate pain-relieving drugs.
13) Can We Take Crocin For Fever?
Ans: Yes, Crocin tablets can be used to alleviate fever. The medicine contains paracetamol which has antipyretic properties and can effectively reduce fever.
14) Can Crocin be administered to patients suffering from Dengue fever?
Ans: Yes, Crocin tablets can be administered to patients suffering from Dengue fever. The medicine is safe and helps to alleviate fever. However, patients are advised to avoid the administration of medicine without consulting a doctor . Also, the patients are advised not to consume any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs when suffering from Dengue.