Calpol 650 mg tablet essentially belongs to a class of medicines termed as a painkiller. Painkiller medicine is a medicine that is consumed primarily for speedy relief from pain. Painkiller medicines mostly target the peripheral as well as the central nervous system to achieve analgesia (relief from painful sensations). It is manufactured by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd. and is available as an over-the-counter (OTC) product across the globe. Calpol 650 mg tablet is safe for use by adults and children alike, with suitable dose readjustments made to best suit the medical condition of the patient.
Uses and Benefits of Calpol 650:
Being a painkiller and antipyretic, Calpol 650 has the following list of uses. Please keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list and that It may also be administered to patients for reasons that are not listed here.
- Treatment of febrility—a condition in which the temperature of the body rises due to an infection
- Treatment and control of fever
- Relief from toothache
- Relief from pain due to menstrual cramps in women
- Ear pain can also be treated using this medicine
- It is also administered in cases of joint pain and arthralgia
- Treatment of cephalalgia
- Symptoms of common cold and headache can also be controlled and treated through the use of this medicine
Read More: Ashokarishta Uses | Himalaya Gokshura Uses
Side Effects of Calpol 650:
There are times when medicine can induce effects in the body other than its desired medicinal benefits. While the use of the medicine is largely safe, there may be certain rare occurrences wherein the administration of it induces side effects in the patient. Possible side effects experienced by the use of Calpol 650 include but are not limited to the following:
- Difficulty in breathing/shortness of breath
- Vomiting sensation
- Reddening of skin
- Swelling of face
- Damage to the liver (in some extreme cases)
- Rashes, skin irritation
- The decline in white blood cell count in the patient’s body
- Development of acute renal tubular necrosis
- Development/increase of liver toxicity
Read More: Emeset 4 Side Effects | Ahaglow Side Effects
Common Dosage of Calpol 650:
The recommended dose of this tablet in the case of adults is 1 to 2 tablets, which must be administered at a gap of 4 to 6 hours between each tablet. In the case of children, the dose is usually limited to one tablet a day, but this dose can be increased or decreased depending upon the medical condition of the child.
For patients who happen to be allergic to one or more components of the Calpol 650 mg tablet, it is advised that they immediately seek dose readjustment from their doctor.
Read More: Voglibose Dosages | Clear Gel Dosages
Composition and Nature of Calpol 650:
The main active ingredient of Calpol 650 is paracetamol, which is also known as acetaminophen (or APAP). Paracetamol is a synthetic compound with painkiller properties that is used to achieve mild to moderate pain relief. Paracetamol is also commonly used in the treatment of fever, by relieving and reducing it as soon as possible.
Calpol 650 mg tablet is a painkiller medicine as well as an antipyretic medicine. While the painkiller properties of this drug provide it the capability to provide pain relief to the patient, the term antipyretic is used to describe a medicine that helps reduce fever.
Read More: Ab Phylline 100 Composition | Althrocin 250 Composition
How Calpol 650 MG Tablet Works?
The main component of Calpol tablet is paracetamol which has painkiller as well as antipyretic properties. It works by interfering with the pain signals sent toward the peripheral and/or central nervous system. It also inhibits the production of the chemical messengers known as prostaglandins that transmit pain signals as well as are responsible for inducing fever. This mechanism of paracetamol makes it capable of providing ache relief, as well as reducing fever.
Once ingested, the medicine usually starts working in about 15 minutes of ingestion. However, this duration may differ from patient to patient.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid it?
- Always consume the drug at a fixed time daily to achieve maximum benefits.
- Avoid excess direct exposure of the medicine to sunlight.
- Avoid excess alcohol consumption when taking it to prevent live damage.
- Discontinue the ingestion of calpol 650 if you observe unexplained rashes on your body, and immediately consult your doctor.
- Taking more than one product containing paracetamol at the same time may lead to liver, heart or kidney complications. More than 4g per day of paracetamol is strongly not advised.
Substitutes of Calpol 650:
The following medicines may serve as viable substitutes for the Calpol 650 mg tablet:
- Malidens 650 tablet, manufactured by Abott Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
- Panacip 650 tablet, manufactured by Cipla Ltd.
- Pyricool 650 tablet, manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Thermgo 650 tablet, manufactured by Orchid Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Welset 650 tablet, manufactured by Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd.
Calpol 650 MG Tablet Interactions:
Medicines may sometimes interact with other drugs and compounds to induce unforeseen results. Some of the compounds that Calpol 650 mg tablet is capable of interacting with are:
- Juxtapid mipomersen
1) What is the average duration for which the effect of Calpol 650 MG Tablet lasts?
Ans: The effect of Calpol 650 mg tablet lasts for about four to six hours on average.
2) Is the consumption of Calpol 650 habit-forming?
Ans: No addictive tendencies of the Calpol 650 have been reported so far.
3) Is this tablet safe for use by pregnant women?
Ans: While the use of this tablet is not known to cause any significant side effects in pregnant women, patients are advised to consume the medicine only after thorough consultation with their doctor.
Read More: Aceclofenac Paracetamol | Amlokind AT | Evion 600