The mucus present in the respiratory tract should be expelled on a regular basis so that you can avoid chest congestion. Bromhexine will support the body mechanism to clear up the congestion in the body by expelling the mucus. There are various kinds of mucolytics in the market and Bromhexine will come under the mucolytic category. People suffering from asthma and COPD will be treated by offering Bromhexine.
What is Bromhexine?
Bromhexine is an expectorant manufactured by Dense Pharma. It is used to treat various kinds of respiratory disorders. The disorders associated with excessive mucus or viscid can be treated with Bromhexine.
The drug will increase the production of serous mucus. Thus, the phlegm will become thin and it will decrease the viscosity as well. The phlegm transportation from the lungs will be made easy due to the secretomotor effect.
How Bromhexine is made?
Bromhexine is made synthetically. It is the derivate of the herbal ingredient, vasicine.
- Bromhexine Hcl
- 2 amino-3
- 5-dibromo-N-cyclohexyl N- Methylbenzylamine hydrochloride
- Alkaloids extracted from adhatoda vasica plant
Availability of Bromhexine:
Bromhexine is available in various quantities. It is available in the form of syrup as well as tablets.
The syrup is available in 110 ml package and 110 ml strength.
It is manufactured by Unicure India.
• High strength – 8 mg/5 ml is the high strength dosage of the syrup.
• Low strength – 4 mg / 5 ml is the low strength dosage of the syrup.
The syrup can be taken 2 to 4 times per day.
The tablet can be taken 3 times per day.
The syrup is manufactured by Unicure India.
Common Dosage of Bromhexine:
Dosage recommended by the doctor is based on your age, weight, health condition, and other medications.
The drug is available in tablet and syrup form.
Tablet – The tablet should be consumed 3 times per day.
You should take plenty of fluids to flush out the remnants from your body.
Syrup – The syrup should be taken 2 to 4 times per day as per the recommendation of the doctor.
Read More: Spasmonil Dosages | Cetzine 10 Dosages
What are the applications of Bromhexine?
Bromhexine is a mucolytic.
Chest congestion – It is used to reduce chest congestion. The presence of thick mucus in the airways will increase chest congestion. The syrup will reverse the mucus formation activity.
Asthma and other diseases – There are various diseases that lead to chest congestion including asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema. It is widely suggested a drug to deal with breathing issues.
To understand the applications of Bromhexine, you should consult a pharmacist or doctor.
How does Bromhexine work?
Bromhexine will decrease mucous viscosity. It will take place with an increase in lysosomal activity. If there is an enhancement of lysosomal activity, it will further the hydrolysis of acid mucopolysaccharide polymers. It will lead to normal mucus viscosity.
If you are suffering from purulent bronchial inflammation, the mucous viscosity in the bronchus will be more. The mucus is based on the presence of a large amount of DNA.
As Bromhexine will break down the mucous, the coughing will increase in the beginning. However, you will cough out easily.
Who should not use Bromhexine?
The cough syrup should not be used for dry or tickly cough.
It should not be shared with others even though they are having the same symptoms as yours.
Side Effects of Bromhexine:
The following side effects are witnessed in a person who consumes Bromhexine:
If you find the unwanted side effects as mentioned below, you should contact the doctor immediately:
- Respiratory tract infection
- Musculoskeletal issues
- Throat irritation
If you are taking antibiotics, you should inform your doctor. Bromhexine has the potential to increase the absorption of antibiotics.
It is very rare to experience side effects with the consumption of syrup.
Read More: Cifran 500 Side Effects | Hetrazan 100 Side Effects
Conditions which affect shortness of breath:
There are many conditions that lead to shortness of breath.
- Lung conditions – Lung infection such as asthma, pneumonia and emphysema will lead to lung infection.
- Airway system disorders – If there are issues with the airway systems such as bronchi or trachea it will lead to shortness of breath.
- Heart disorders – If the heart fails to pump enough blood to various parts of the body. The oxygen will play a crucial role in the rejuvenation of your health.
- Anxiety – if you are suffering from anxiety or panic attacks, you are prone to suffer from shortness of breath.
- Allergies – Various kinds of allergic conditions will lead to shortness of breath.
Hence, it is important to find out the cause that leads to shortness of breath and you should take the drug to address the root cause.
Symptoms of Breathing Issues:
If you have breathing issues, the following symptoms are prominent:
- Troubled breathing
- Elevated pulse rate
- Shallow breaths
- Pale skin
In some cases, there will not be physical symptoms but the patient will suffer from breathing issues.
Breathing problem is also very common people suffering from heart ailments, blockage of blood vessels, heart disease, anemia, and chest infection.
Risk Factors with Breathing Issues:
Prolonged breathing issues will lead to the following risks:
Cancer – If the breathing problem is not addressed at the earliest, it will lead to lung cancer.
Bromhexine Interactions with Other Drugs:
When you mix Bromhexine with other drugs or foods, the risk of drug interaction will increase.
Hypersensitivity – The syrup, Bromhexine should not be used if the patient is suffering from hypersensitivity.
Before using Bromhexine, you should consult the doctor. The dosage should be followed as recommended by the doctor.
- Share pre-existing conditions – Pre-existing conditions such as allergies, pregnancy and upcoming surgery should be shared with the doctor.
- Stop if the condition persists – If the condition persists or worsens, you should avoid the consumption of the syrup.
- Higher lung secretions – There will be higher lung secretions after the consumption of the syrup
- Lung infection – If you are suffering from lung infection, you should share the information with the doctor. The health condition such as blood in the mucus, chest pain, fever, uncontrolled asthma, kidney issues and liver issues should be shared with the doctor.
- Seek medical attention – If the symptoms last for more than 2 weeks, you should consult the doctor immediately.
If there is hypersensitivity to the drug, it is known as a contraindication.
If you experience the following symptoms, you should understand that you suffer from contraindications:
- Kidney dysfunction
- Allergic reaction
- Liver disease
The effect of the drug will change if you take other medications or over-the-counter medications.
If you do not use the drug properly, it will increase the side effects on the body.
If you are suffering from allergy, you should not consume Bromhexine unless you are advised by your doctor.
How to Store Bromhexine?
- The drug should be stored at the room temperature
- Keep out of reach of children and pets
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight
Dispose of the syrup or tablets as per the information provided on the label.
Alternative to Bromhexine:
The following drugs are alternatives to Bromhexine:
Alternative treatment to deal with breathing issues
There are alternative and safe methods to deal with breathing issues. The treatment, as well as management of breathing issues, will be done in the best possible way by implementing the following methods:
- Breathing exercises – There will be an improvement in asthma symptoms by implementing breathing exercises on a daily basis. When you do breathing exercises, the lungs will be filled the air and it is possible to enhance the lung functionality over a period of time.
- Herbal and natural remedies – Various kinds of herbal and natural remedies can be implemented to manage the symptoms of asthma and breathing issues.
- Overcome stress – You should take possible steps to overcome the stress. Stress and anxiety will have a great impact on your health.
- Take rest – By having solid sleep on a daily basis, there will be an improvement in the condition of the patient. You should sleep in a relaxed position.
- Using a fan – If your face is exposed to the small hand-held fan, it will improve your breathing.
- Drink plenty of water – You should drink plenty of water to get relief from the thick and viscous mucus.
- Lifestyle changes – You can make changes to your lifestyle to achieve great impact on your health.
- Quit smoking – Smoking will have an adverse impact on your health. Hence, you are advised to quit smoking.
- Eat healthy food – You will stay healthy by eating healthy food. You are advised to avoid processed food items. By taking fresh and nutritious items on a daily basis, there will be a great improvement in health.
- Physical exercises – By doing physical exercises on a daily basis, you will resort to the increase in blood supply. However, people suffering from breathing issues should avoid stressful exercises and heavy workouts. You should avoid cardio exercises. Walking and cycling will help you enhance the muscle functionality and it will improve the lung function as well.
- Avoid exertion at high elevations – You should avoid exertion at high elevation as it will further aggravate the breathing difficulty.
- Shed weight – You should shed excess weight as it will lead to various kinds of health complications. If your weight is not in proportion to your height, you should take steps to shed excess weight. Before attempting the weight loss methods, you should consult the physician.
- Follow treatment plan – The treatment plan recommended by the doctor should be followed without fail. If you follow the treatment along with the changes in the lifestyle, there will be a positive impact on your health. If you are suffering from COPD or bronchitis, you should visit the doctor at regular intervals.
Ans: No. It is unsafe to consume Bromhexine with alcohol. Hence, you should consult the doctor immediately.
Ans: There are certain risk factors associated with the consumption of Bromhexine. However, you should consult the doctor before taking the drug as it may interfere with your condition. If Bromhexine is prescribed by the doctor, you should follow the dosage.
Ans: You should consult your doctor before consuming the drug.
Ans: Some of the alternatives to Bromhexine are Bisolvon and Bromex tablets.
Ans: Yes. You can use Bromhexine to overcome breathing issues and bronchitis. However, you should consult the doctor first before using the syrup.
Ans: There will be an improvement in the condition 2 to 6 hours after the consumption of the syrup. The time varies from one person to another person. You should consult the doctor to understand the duration of the usage of the drug.
Ans: Unless you have dizziness, drowsiness, or other side effects, you can operate heavy machinery or drive a vehicle. If the medicine that you are using makes you dizzy, you should not drive a vehicle.
Ans: Bromhexine does not come under Schedule X drugs in India. However, you should not self-medicate and the dosage recommendations given by the doctor should be followed.