Cadbury Bournvita is one of the most trusted and favorite health drinks in India. It is also one of the most popular drinks among children of various age groups, thanks to its yummy chocolate flavor. It is, perhaps, the oldest supplement of milk available in the market. Over years of success, Bournvita has introduced various product modifications to meet the demands of various age groups. There are several varieties of Bournvita now available in Indian market such as
- Bournvita Lil’ Champs – this malt and chocolate drink is meant for small children below the age of 5yrs.
- Women’s Bournvita – this drink is exclusively designed for women below the age of 40yrs.
Chief Ingredients of Cadbury Bournvita:
Cadbury Bournvita is a health drink that provides essential supplements which are vital for proper growth and development of growing children.
Bournvita contains the following ingredients:
- Malt extracts
- Solid cocoa
- Caramel – E 150
- Milk solids
- Liquid glucose
- Raising agent – E 500
- Liquid vanilla flavor
Bournvita marks a proper start of your day with vital minerals and vitamins added to glass of milk. Every two spoonful of Bournvita in a glass of milk provides you carbohydrate – 8g, potassium – 45mg, sodium – 25mg, protein – 1g, sugar – 6g, 8% of regular Vitamin A, 10% of iron, 30% of Vitamin C, 15% of Zinc and 10% of regular magnesium intake to your body. Moreover, it also provides you prohealth Vitamins like Vitamin B9, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D which helps in providing all the basic nutrients essential for maintaining growth and health.
Uses of Bournvita:
It is advisable to take two spoonful of Cadbury Bournvita in cold or warm milk daily. You may or may not add sugar to your drink. 20g of Bournvita, taken twice a day, marks perfect beginning of a healthy day.
Main Benefits Offered by Cadbury Bournvita:
Bournvita offers a healthy start of your day by supplementing you all the essential components or nutrients to boost your energy. It helps maintaining your child’s growth and development.
Some of the chief benefits of Cadbury Bournvita are:
- Vitamins B9 and B12 provides the essential component to your body for proper growth of red blood cells.
- It elevates the capacity of physical endurance and also the immunity of the body.
- It boosts your energy level and keeps you energetic throughout the day.
- It fulfills the daily iron requirement of your body which is essential for the proper oxygen transportation in your body.
- The perfect flow of oxygen throughout your body helps in getting rid of the toxins and waste products.
- Bournvita Lil’ Champs contains important ingredients like DHA that are absolutely vital in the proper development of small children below the age of 5yrs.
- Bournvita, when taken with milk regularly, optimizes your calcium intake. Calcium level is higher in children who take Bournvita with milk daily when compared to children who drink plain milk.
Side Effects of Bournvita:
Although it provides vital nutrients to your body, but you should consider the following side effects that may be caused by the consumption of Bournvita:
- Although it boosts your energy level and keeps you alert and helps you concentrate better, many health experts and nutritionists, nowadays, considers such sugar based health drinks bad for health in the long run.
- Experts are of the opinion that the instantaneous elevation of energy due to high sugar content may serve you short term hike in energy levels but over long time period, you are eventually going to be dehydrated and lethargic.
- It may cause cavities and decay in your teeth, especially in children, because of high amount of chocolate and sugar content.
Apart from the above stated side effects, you should also know about the ingredients of Bournvita that may raise health concerns in you:
- Caramel E 150 – this component is added to achieve dark brown color in Bournvita. Caramel E 150 is simply used to enrich the color of the drinks only but has no added benefit. Over long time and regular use it may lead to gastro-intestinal problems.
- Sugar – Bournvita has considerably high sugar levels. The type of sugar used in this has not been specified in the list of ingredients. High sugar containing drinks may cause various metabolic diseases over long time. More importantly different types of sugar impose different side effects in people. So, this high sugar content may cause cavities in small children and metabolic diseases in elderly people.
- Liquid Glucose – apart from sugar, Bournvita also contains liquid glucose which is yet another form of sugar, thus, raising further the total sugar content of the drink.
- Emulsifiers – emulsifiers are the types of artificial flavoring and coloring substances which boosts the taste of this drink. However, the listed components do not specify the type of emulsifier that has been added to Bournvita. Since, the type of artificial flavor and color has not been particularly specified in the ingredients, you never know their side effects. This may not be safe for infants and pregnant women.
- Always read the label thoroughly before using Bournvita.
- Do not overdose out of the recommended suggestion.
- Always check for the tight concealment of the lid after using the product in order to protect it from coming in contact with moisture.
Substitute for Bournvita:
- Complan – Complan can be a good substitute of Bournvita. It consists of 18g of milk protein, 62g of carbohydrate and 27g of sucrose.
- Horlicks – Horlicks is yet another health drink option in India. It contains 2g of fat, 79.2g of carbohydrate and 13.5g of sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1) What is the right age of starting Bournvita?
Ans: The right age of starting Bournvita is 2yrs.
2) What are the ingredients of Bournvita?
Ans: The ingredients of Bournvita are – Malt extract, sugar, caramel, cocoa solids, emulsifiers, milk solids, liquid glucose, vitamins, minerals, raising agents, liquid vanilla flavor and salt. It may also contain flavor and artificial substances.
3) What is the meaning of malt in Bournvita?
Ans: Bournvita was earlier known as Bourn-Vita which is a brand name for chocolate malt and malted drink mixes manufactured by Cadbury.