Betnovate GM is an external use cream. It is a combination medication belonging to the class of glucocorticoid drugs that are steroids. It is primarily used to treat skin infections.
ItBetnovate GM is a corticosteroid cream that is used to treat a large number of skin infections. It is a combination of three compounds, each with a different role. It is used to even treat skin conditions, inflammations, and microbial infections.
Uses & Benefits of Betnovate GM:
The complete list of skin infections that Betnovate GM is used to treat is as follows:
- Bacterial skin infections
- Jock itch
- Cutaneous candidiasis
- Tinea Pedis
- Dermatoses that are responsive to corticosteroids
- Tinea corporis
- General itches and rashes
- Fungal infections
- Tinea cruris
- Certain allergic reactions
- Tinea versicolor
- Pus formations
- Napkin rash
- Vaginal yeast infections
- Skin inflammations
- Vulvovaginal candidiasis
Side effects of Betnovate GM:
Betnovate GM being a steroid cream has some minor side effects. The following side-effects are possible but they may not occur all the time. However, some of them are rare and might lead to serious consequences.
The most commonly reported side-effects of Betnovate GM are:
- Burning sensation at the site of application
- Itching of skin both at the site of application and other areas
- Skin erosion
- Allergic reactions in the skin
- Contact dermatitis that is allergic
- Skin irritation
- Dryness at the site of application
- Acneiform eruptions
- Hypertrichosis (increased hair growth)
- Pigmentation of the skin
At the onset of any of these reactions, a doctor must be consulted.
Common Dosage of Betnovate GM:
The usage prescribed by your doctor should be adhered to. The number of times to be applied depends entirely on the condition to be treated. Based on your complaint and history of previous infections and allergies, the medical practitioner will recommend the number of times the cream has to be applied and the duration of use. Clean the affected area with water and pat dry. Apply the ointment only on the affected area that has no moisture. Wash your hands thoroughly post-application. Alternatively, a ball of cotton can be used for the application.
Composition and Nature of Betnovate GM:
Betnovate GM is available in tubes in the form of white cream. The cream is non-sticky and it spreads easily. Betnovate GM, manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd has the following active ingredients:
- Betamethasone- 0.1% w/w
- Gentamycin- 0.1% w/w
- Miconazole- 2% w/w
How Betnovate GM Works?
Betnovate GM is a combination steroid cream. The prime ingredients are Betamethasone, Gentamycin, and Miconazole. Each component has a distinct function.
Betamethasone is a steroid compound. It inhibits the production of chemical messengers called prostaglandins that cause inflammation and makes the skin swollen, itchy and red. When prostaglandins are inhibited, there is a temporary relief of symptoms caused by inflammation.
Gentamycin is an antibiotic. This compound prevents the microbial organisms (present on the surface of the skin) from multiplying by stopping the synthesis of proteins required by the microbes for growth and reproduction.
Miconazole is an anti-fungal agent. This compound prevents the fungi from forming their own protective covering thereby inhibiting their growth.
Precautions and Warning – When to avoid It?
The following are the special precautions that have to be ensured while using Betnovate GM.
- The cream is meant only for topical applications and should be swallowed
- Contact with eyes, nose and mouth should be completely avoided. If it were to occur, the point of contact must be thoroughly rinsed.
- The cream is unsafe for use during pregnancy
- This is not a pediatric dosage and hence should not be used on children
- The ointment should be avoided on open wounds that are deep.
- Avoid usage on already irritated skin and sun-burnt skin
- Using an excessive amount of this cream at a time may result in piling. Only a thin layer should be applied at one time.
- Avoid other products on the area where the cream is applied
- Avoid the cream if you have a previous history of steroid allergies
- Avoid the cream if you have any kind of infection that is active and untreated
- It is safe to use in patients with kidney and liver ailments
- Avoid the usage of this creame if you have a hypersensitive skin
Substitutes for Betnovate GM:
It does not have a substitute with the same composition and strength. There are other steroid creams with closely related ingredients and hence used for the same purpose as Betnovate GM. They are:
- Emmalinac C
- Panderm plus
- Fourderm creams
Betnovate GM Interactions with Other Drugs:
The usage of some drugs and even over-the-counter product may reduce the effect of Betnovate GM. Some drugs may even increase the risk of side effects. The doctor should be informed of all other medications and supplements that you are taking. This includes even herbal-based drugs.
Betnovate GM is known to interact with the following drugs:
- Other glucocorticoids
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors
Ans: Facial usage should be recommended by the doctor. The duration prescribed must be adhered to. Regular use of Betnovate GM on your face can result in excessive growth of facial hair and pigmentation on the face.
Ans: No. It GM is not recommended for acne. It is a steroid cream and prolonged usage can lead to side effects.
Ans: Depending on the condition being treated, it can take one day or one week to see visible improvement in conditions. Follow the doctor’s advice on when to stop the cream
Ans: Yes. When you stop applying this medicine after prolonged use, you may get steroid-induced dermatitis that will lead to dryness and itchy skin.
Ans: Yes. Betnovate GM can be used by lactating mothers if necessary. No known consequences or harm to the infant have been reported.