Bactrim DS Tablet is an anti-microbial agent that is primarily used to treat bacterial infections, especially those in the urinary tract, gastrointestinal tract, and respiratory tract. It is a combination medicine that is composed of Sulphamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.
|Uses||Gastrointestinal Infections, Urinary Tract Infections, Pneumonia, Whipple’s Disease, As Prophylaxis in Neutropenic Patients|
|Composition||Sulphamethoxazole (800 mg) + Trimethoprim (160 mg)|
|Side Effects||Nausea, Vomiting, Stomatitis, Depression, Headache, Hallucinations, Anaemia, Renal Impairment, Glossitis, Neutropenia, Rashes, Pulmonary Infiltrates (in patients suffering from AIDS)|
|Precautions||Hypersensitivity, Anaemia, Hypoglycaemia, Liver Diseases, Renal Impairment, Pregnancy, Lactation|
Bactrim is manufactured and marketed by Abbott and is available in the form of syrup as well as capsules.
Uses and Benefits of Bactrim DS:
Bactrim DS is an anti-microbial drug that is primarily used to treat and prevent bacterial infections. It is used in the treatment of the following diseases and conditions:
- Gastrointestinal Infections : It is a medical condition in which the gastrointestinal tract, including the stomach and intestines, is affected by an infection caused due to virus, bacteria or parasites. The condition is usually associated with inflammation of the GI tract, vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhea. Bactrim DS is used to treat such infections caused due to bacteria.
- Urinary Tract Infections : Any infection in the urinary system (kidneys, bladder or urethra) is termed as urinary tract infection. Pelvic pain. increased or decreased the urge to urinate, blood in urine and painful urination are a few symptoms associated with this condition.
- Pneumocystis Pneumonia : It is an infection in the lungs caused by Pneumocystis jirovecii (a yeast-like fungus). The condition usually affects people with a weak immune system.
- Whipple’s Disease : Whipple’s disease is a rare kind of systemic infectious disease, caused by the bacterium known as Tropherymawhipplei. The condition usually affects the small intestines, leading to malabsorption of food. If left untreated, this condition could become life-threatening.
Bactrim DS is also used as prophylaxis or preventive treatment in patients suffering from neutropenia (lack of neutrophils).
Side Effects of Bactrim DS:
Apart from the intended effects of the medicines, the use of this medicine may cause the occurrence of certain side effects in some cases. Some of the possible side effects that may be experienced with the consumption of
Bactrim DS Tablets are as follows:
- Renal Impairment
- Pulmonary Infiltrates (in patients suffering from AIDS)
In case the patient experiences any side effect (listed or not listed above) during the consumption of this medicine, a doctor should be consulted immediately to seek remedial action.
Common Dosages of Bactrim DS:
The patient should administer Bactrim DS Tablets in accordance with the instructions given by the doctor. Doctors usually prescribe one table of Bactrim DS, every 12 to 15 hours. However, the dosage may vary with the severity of the ailment to be treated. A few other factors that help in deciding the dosage of the medicine are the BMI of the patient, the age of the patient, and other underlying health concerns.
- Missed Dosage: In case of a missed dose, the patient should take the missed dose as soon as it is remembered. However, it is advisable not to take the missed dose if it is almost time for the next dose. Under no circumstance, a double dose should be taken to compensate for the missed dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or other side effects.
- Overdose: Consuming the medicine in more than the prescribed amount may cause serious side effects or drug toxicity and thus one should refrain from taking an overdose. However, if an overdose is suspected, it is advised to consult a doctor to seek immediate medical attention.
Composition and Nature of Bactrim DS:
Bactrim DS is a combination medicine that is composed of two active ingredients, namely:
- Sulphamethoxazole (800 mg)
- Trimethoprim (160 mg)
The medicine shows anti-microbial properties and thus is used to treat and prevent bacterial infections.
How to Use Bactrim DS?
Bactrim DS Tablets should be consumed as per the prescription of the doctor or the patient should follow the directions prescribed on the label. One must not increase or decrease the dosage without consulting the doctor. It is advised to swallow the tablet as a whole, without chewing, crushing, or breaking it.
This Tablet should be consumed with food or milk to avoid an upset stomach. Also, it is advised to drink plenty of fluid during the consumption of Bactrim DS in order to prevent kidney stones.
How does Bactrim DS Work?
Bactrim DS is an antimicrobial drug that contains Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim as its active ingredient. The two ingredients work by restricting the growth of the bacteria in the body. The ingredients inhibit the growth of bacteria through the biosynthesis of nucleic acids and proteins essential to bacteria.
When is Bactrim DS Prescribed?
Bactrim DS is an anti-microbial agent that is prescribed to treat and prevent bacterial infections. Doctors may prescribe this medicine to cure infections in the urinary tract, gastrointestinal tract, and respiratory tract. In some cases, doctors may prescribe this medicine as a preventive treatment in neutropenic patients.
Related Warnings/Precautions- When to avoid Bactrim DS?
Following are the precautions that should be kept in mind before and during the consumption of Bactrim DS:
- Use of Bactrim DS should be avoided by the patients who are hypersensitive or allergic to Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim or any other constituent of this medicine.
- Patients with a known history of renal or liver impairment must use Bactrim DS Tablet only after due consultation with their doctor.
- Use of Bactrim DS should be avoided by the patients suffering from anemia.
The doctor should be informed :
- If the patient is pregnant or planning to conceive
- If the patient is breastfeeding
- An overdose of Bactrim DS medicine can cause adverse effects and drug toxicity. If such symptoms appear, it is advised to consult a doctor immediately.
- The patients must inform the doctor about current medications and over the counter products they have been using in order to avoid severe interactions and side effects.
- The doctor must also be informed about any pre-existing allergies and diseases to ensure that no side-effect occurs.
- The medicine should not be consumed if it has passed the expiry date.
Bactrim DS should be used cautiously in patients suffering from:
- Liver Impairment
- Impaired Renal Function
- Patients should avoid eating grapefruit and calcium-rich food during the course of treatment with Bactrim DS.
- In case the patient experiences any kind of side effect during the consumption of Bactrim DS, the doctor should be consulted immediately.
- During the course of treatment with Bactrim DS, the patient is advised to drink plenty of fluid in order to prevent kidney stones.
Substitutes of Bactrim DS:
Following is the list of a few medicines that have the same composition and strength as that of Bactrim DS and hence can be used as its substitutes:
- Sepmax DS Tablet – manufactured by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Tabrol DS Tablet – manufactured by Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Colizole DS 800mg/160mg Tablet – manufactured by East India Pharmaceutical Works Ltd
- Ridprim DS Tablet – manufactured by Ridley Life Science Pvt Ltd
- Chemotrin Forte 800mg/160mg Tablet – manufactured by PCI Pharmaceuticals
- Tprim Forte 800mg/160mg Tablet – manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Trisulfose DS 800mg/160mg Tablet – manufactured by Pfizer Ltd
- Supristol DS 800mg/160mg Tablet – manufactured by Zydus Cadila
- Suprim DS Tablet – manufactured by Anoco Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd
- Welprim DS Tablet – manufactured by Vostok & Wilcure Remedies
Bactrim DS Interactions:
Interactions with drugs:
Mixing two or more medicines may change how the drug works and may increase the risk of side effects. A few drugs that may interact negatively with Bactrim DS are:
- Blood thinners like warfarin, methenamine, dofetilide, and methotrexate: Interaction of blood thinners with Bactrim DS may result in an increased risk of internal bleeding.
- Lisinopril: Bactrim DS contains trimethoprim as one of its active ingredients. Trimethoprim may interact with Lisinopril, thereby causing high potassium levels or hyperkalemia.
- Metformin: Trimethoprim in Bactrim DS may interact with metformin, resulting in an increased effect of the latter. Regular monitoring of blood glucose level may be required in such cases.
Interaction with alcohol:
Interaction of Bactrim DS Table with alcohol may result in some adverse effects or reduced efficacy of the drug. Hence, it is advisable to discontinue the consumption of alcohol during the course of treatment.
Bactrim DS Tablet should be avoided by the patients suffering from:
- Liver Impairment
- Impaired Renal Function
It is advised to stop the consumption of the following food items during the course of treatment with Bactrim DS:
- Calcium Rich Food
- Grape Juice
Bactrim DS Variants:
Following are the variants of Bactrim:
- Bactrim Tablet
- Bactrim DS Tablet
Bactrim DS Suspension Form:
Bactrim DS is also available in suspension form as Bactrim Syrup with the following composition:
- Sulfamethoxazole (200mg)
- Trimethoprim (40mg)
Medicines That Should Not be Taken with Bactrim DS:
Taking Bactrim Ds Tablet in combination with other over-the-counter medicines, herbal medicines or vitamin supplements may increase the risk of its side effects. A few drugs that should never be taken with Bactrim DS Tablets are:
- Blood thinners like warfarin, methenamine, dofetilide and methotrexate
Bactrim DS Price in India:
|Variant||Price (in INR)||Quantity|
|Bactrim DS Tablet||14.22||10 Tablets|
How to Store Bactrim DS?
- Bactrim DS Tablets should be stored in a cool and dry place away from direct heat and sunlight.
- The packaging of this medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered. One must keep the medicine away from the reach of children and pets.
1) What is Bactrim DS Tablet used for?
Ans: Bactrim DS Tablet is an antimicrobial drug that is primarily used to treat and prevent bacterial infections in the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract, and urinary tract. It may also be used as a preventive treatment in patients suffering from neutropenia.
2) What is Bactrim DS to treat?
Ans: Bactrim DS Tablet is primarily used to treat bacterial infections, pneumocystis pneumonia, and Whipple’s disease.
3) What are the possible side effects of Bactrim DS?
Ans: Bactrim DS does not usually show side effects. However, in certain cases, it may show certain side effects such as nausea, vomiting, stomatitis, depression, headache, hallucinations, anemia, renal impairment, glossitis, neutropenia, rashes and pulmonary infiltrates (in patients suffering from AIDS).
4) Does Bactrim DS Tablet have a habit-forming tendency?
Ans: No, Bactrim DS is not reported to exhibit habit-forming tendencies. Consult a doctor to know more about the nature of this medicine.
5) Should I administer Bactrim DS Tablet before or after having a meal?
Ans: Ideally, Bactrim DS Tablet should be consumed with food or milk so as to avoid an upset stomach. Rest, one should follow the doctor’s advice for the same.
6) What will happen if I accidentally consume an expired dose of Bactrim DS Tablet?
Ans: Although it is always recommended to check the expiry date of the medicine before administering it, a single expired dose of Bactrim DS Tablet may not cause any severe side effects. However, it must be noted that the efficacy of the medicine may be affected as an expired tablet will not be as effective in treating the symptoms. Also, in case the patient experiences any discomfort after the consumption of an expired dosage, a doctor must be consulted immediately to seek remedial action.
7) Is it safe to drive after consuming Bactrim DS Tablets?
Ans: Yes, it is absolutely safe to drive a post-consuming Bactrim DS Tablet. However, in case the patient feels drowsiness or dizziness, he or she must refrain from doing activities that require concentration or alertness.
8) Is Bactrim DS Tablet available as an Over- the- Counter medicine?
Ans: No, Bactrim DS Tablet is not an over-the-counter medicine. It legally requires a prescription to be dispensed as it is a prescription-only drug.
9) What should I do if I accidentally overdose on Bactrim DS Tablet?
Ans: Overdosing on Bactrim DS Tablet may show serious side effects or drug toxicity and thus one should refrain from taking an overdose. However, if an overdose is suspected, one must seek immediate medical attention.
10) What will happen if I consecutively forget to take Bactrim DS Tablets?
Ans: Missing a single dose of Bactrim DS Tablet may not cause many effects. However, for medicine to work properly some concentration of medicine should always be present in the body. If a patient continuously misses the dose of the Bactrim DS, the medicine may not be able to completely cure the ailment it has been prescribed for.
11) Is Bactrim DS Tablet safe to be consumed by pregnant women?
Ans: No. Use of Bactrim DS Tablet is not recommended by pregnant women. One must consult a doctor for case-specific recommendations.
12) Is Bactrim DS Tablet safe to be consumed by lactating mothers?
Ans: No, the use of Bactrim DS Tablets is strictly prohibited by lactating mothers. This is because the medicine may adversely affect the health of the nursing infant. If absolutely necessary, lactating mothers must refrain from breastfeeding the infant until the medicine is completely eliminated from the body. For case-specific recommendations, consult a doctor.
13) What are the storage requirements for Bactrim DS Tablets?
- The medicine should be stored away from direct sunlight and heat.
- It should be stored in a dry and cool place.
- The medicine should be kept out of reach of pets and children
14) Can this tablet be administered to elderly people?
Ans: Bactrim DS Tablets should be administered cautiously by people above the age of 60 years. This is because the medicine poses an increased risk of blood disorders, bruising and abnormal bleeding in elderly people.
15) Can I consume alcohol during the course of treatment with Bactrim DS Tablets?
Ans: No, it is not advisable to consume alcohol during the course of treatment. Their interaction may result in adverse effects.
16) Is Bactrim DS Tablet banned in India?
Ans: No. Bactrim DS is not banned in India. However, it is a prescription-only medicine that needs a prescription to be dispensed.
17) How long does it take for Bactrim to take effect?
Ans: It usually takes 24 hours for antibiotics to start working. However, it could take several days to show visible effects.
18) Does Bactrim make you sleepy?
Ans: No, Bactrim usually does not cause sleepiness. However, when an overdose is taken, it may result in unusual sickness, dizziness, depressed or confusion.
19) Does Bactrim treat strep throat?
Ans: No, Bactrim does not treat strep throat. Since this medicine does not remove the organisms from the body, it doesn’t treat the condition; rather it may result in drug resistance.
20) Which is better Amoxicillin or Bactrim?
Ans: Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic and Bacterium is a sulfur-containing antibiotic. It is difficult to tell which one of them is a better antibiotic. However, patients who are allergic to penicillin antibiotics may use Bactrim (or any other sulfur-containing antibiotic) as a substitute.