Azithral 500 mg tablet are antibiotics medicines that are used to treat different types of infections that are caused by a variety of bacteria. It belongs to the class of macrolide antibiotic used for treatment of bacterial infections. The main active salt of this tablet is Azithromycin. It works by stopping the growth of the bacteria.
|Nature of Azithral 500 MG Tablet :||Antibiotic|
|Uses of Azithral 500 MG Tablet:||Throat, nose, ear, and lung infections, urine infections, typhoid fever, Gonococcal and Nongonococcal Urethritis and Cervicitis|
|Composition of Azithral 500 MG Tablet:||Azithromycin (250mg/500mg)|
|Side effects of Azithral 500 MG Tablet||Dizziness, Fever, Headache, Vomiting, Flatulence, Dry Scalp, Heartburn , Weakness, Diarrhoea, Abdominal Pain|
|Precautions :||Patients having liver-related disorders and hypersensitivity|
Price Table of Azithral 500:
- Azithral 250 mg Tablet – INR 35.50 ( 3 Tablets)
- Azithral 500 mg Tablet – INR 111.95 (5 Tablets)
- Azithral 100 mg Tablet – INR 32.20 (15 ml)
- Azithral 200 mg Tablet – INR 46.81 ( 15 ml)
Composition and Nature of Azithral 500:
The active ingredient/salt of Azithral 500 is Azithromycin. This medicine is antibiotic in nature and is used for the treatment of bacterial infections.
Uses and Benefits of Azithral 500:
Primarily, Azithral 500 mg tablet is used to treat bacterial infections caused by a variety of systematic bacteria. Listed below are the diseases for which Azithral 500 mg is prescribed.
1. Community-acquired Pneumonia
Community-acquired pneumonia is the most common type of pneumonia. This is caused when the bacteria or bacteria-like organisms enter the air sacs and infect the lungs. Common symptoms are cough, fever, and difficulty in breathing. Patients that are suffering from community-acquired pneumonia are prescribed Azithral 500.
2. Ear Infection
Ear infection, medically known as Otitis Media is a condition in which the middle ear gets infected. Azithral 500 mg tablet is prescribed to fight the bacteria and improving the symptoms such as headache, ear pain, and ringing in the air.
The tablet of azithral 500 mg is prescribed when the patient is suffering from sore throat or pharyngitis. Pharyngitis is a condition when the throat gets inflamed due to bacteria or smoking. Common symptoms include runny nose, cough, and difficulty in swallowing.
4. Cat Scratch Disease
Cat scratch disease is caused by an infection from the bacteria bacterium Bartonella henselae which enters the body through cat scratch or bite. Symptoms include swollen lymph nodes near the site of the bite or the scratch. The symptoms show up after 1-2 weeks after the bite. This tablet is prescribed in such cases.
5. Skin and Soft Tissue Infections
Azithral 500 is used for treating skin and tissue infections which is characterized by fever, redness around hair follicle, rash of yellow colour and muscle pain.
6. Acne Vulgaris
Acne vulgaris is a long-term skin disease which caused due to blocking of hair follicles by the dead cells and oil. This is results in blackheads, whiteheads, and/or scarring of skin. For the treatment of acne vulgaris, Azithral 500 mg tablet is used in its topical form i.e. gel.
7. Bacterial Conjunctivitis
Bacterial conjunctivitis or eye infection caused by H. influenza, S. aureus, and S. pneumonia is treated by eye drops and eye ointments.
Side Effects of Azithral 500:
Apart from the effects that are intended, The tablet of Azithral 500 mg might induce some undesired side effects too. In such cases you should seek immediate medical attention. Inform your doctor if you experience any side effect from the ones listed below.
- Diarrhea (Severe, Common)
- Dry or scaly skin (Severe, Less common)
- Abdominal pain (Severe, Less common)
- Painful urination (Severe, Rare)
- Vomiting (Severe, Rare)
- Fever (Severe, Rare)
- Acid or sour stomach (Minor, Rare)
- Aggression (Minor, Rare)
- Excessive gas in stomach (Minor, Rare)
- Heartburn (Minor, Rare)
- Decrease in blood count
- Skin rashes
- Liver toxicity
- Effect on kidney function
Common Dosage of Azithral 500:
- Oral tablets/Eye drops/Gel/Ointment: The missed dose of Azithral 500 mg tablet should be taken or applied as soon as possible. If it is time for your next scheduled dose then it is advisable that you skip the missed dose. Never use extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
- Oral tablets/Eye drops/Gel/Ointment: Seek immediate medical attention or contact your doctor in case of an overdose of Azithral 500 mg tablet.
- Injection: Injections are administered in hospital or clinics by a healthcare professional; thus likelihood of overdose is very low. However, if suspected of an overdose, emergency medical treatment will be initiated.
How to use Azithral 500?
Azithral 500 mg tablet medicine should be taken in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. The tablet should be swallowed as a whole. You should not crush, chew or break the tablet. Azithral 500 mg tablet can be taken with food or without it. It is also advisable to take the medicine at a fixed time.
When Azithral 500 is prescribed?
Azithral 500 mg tablet is an antibiotic drug prescribed in order to cure a variety of infections caused due to the growth of bacteria. The tablet of Azithral 500 mg stops the growth of bacteria and thus helps in treating the infections in the throat, skin, ear, nose and respiratory organs.
How Azithral 500 MG Tablet works?
Azithral 500 mg tablet contains Azithromycin as the main salt and belongs to the class of macrolide antibiotic. Its function is to inhibit bacterial growth by hindering the synthesis of essential proteins required by the bacteria to carry out its functions.
Warnings/Precautions – When to Avoid Azithral 500:
- Pregnancy – The tablet of Azithral 500 mg is not recommended for pregnant women unless necessary or the potential benefits outweigh the risks.
- Breastfeeding – Unless absolute necessary, this medicine is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding. If the medicine is used, it is recommended to closely monitor the infant.
- Hypersensitivity- If you have an allergy to Azithral 500 mg or any other macrolides, it is recommended to not take this medicine.
- Myasthenia Gravis – It has been reported that Azithral 500 mg tablet aggravates the symptoms of Myasthenia Gravis. Patients who have a known history of Myasthenia Gravis should practice caution when taking this medicine.
- QT Prolongation – Patients with a history of arrhythmias, heart diseases and patients who are on medications that prolong QT intervals such as psychiatric and anti-arrhythmias drugs should practice caution while taking Azithral 500 mg tablets. Azithral 500 mg tablets can increase the risk of cardiac arrhythmias.
- Diarrhea – Antibiotic therapy might cause imbalance in large intestines promoting the growth of bacteria called Clostridium difficile and you might experience diarrhea. Any such symptom should be reported immediately to the doctor.
- Drug resistance – In case of insufficient proof of or suspicion of a bacterial infection, Azithral 500 mg should be avoided altogether. Irrational dosage might lead to toxicity.
- Use in paediatrics – Azithral 500 mg tablets and injections are not recommended for use in patients less than 16 years of age.
- Route of administration – Azithral 500 mg tablets and injections are not advisable for administrations as an intramuscular injection.
Substitute of Azithral 500:
Below is the list of the substitutes that can be taken in case Azithral 500 mg is not available. The medicines listed below have the same strength and composition as that of Azithral 500 tablet:
- Azelio 500 mg Tablet
- Azigold Kid 500 mg Tablet
- Gitro 500 mg Tablet
- Azicorn 500 mg Tablet
- Bio AZ 500 mg Tablet
- Unizith 500 mg Tablet
- Azifine 500 mg Tablet
- Azlupin 500 mg Tablet
- Topmac 500 mg Tablet
- Corzi 500 mg Tablet
- Azimax 500 mg Tablet
- Azithea 500 mg Tablet
- Macrotor 500 mg Tablet
Variants of Azithral 500:
The various variants of Azithral are:
- Azithral 250 mg
- Azithral 500 mg
- Azithral 100 mg
- Azithral 200 mg
Suspension Form of Azithral 500:
This drug is available in two forms namely Tablet and syrup. The suspension form of this medicine comes in 2 strengths- 100 mg and 200 mg.
Medicines that must not be consumed alongside Azithral 500 mg Tablet :
- Atorvastatin (Moderate)
- Amiodarone (Severe)
- Pimozide (Severe)
- Aluminum Hydroxide/Magnesium Hydroxide (Moderate)
- Digoxin (Moderate)
- Theophylline (Moderate)
How to store Azithral 500?
It is advisable to store the tablet of azithral 500 mg in a cool and dry place away from the reach of children and pets. The packaging of the medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
Every drug interacts differently for every person. Mixing drugs with food or another medicine can increase the risk of drug interaction.
Azithral 500 mg Tablet Interaction with Alcohol
- Interaction with alcohol is unknown. You should consult your doctor before consumption.
Azithral 500 mg Tablet Interaction with Medicine
- Atorvastatin (Moderate)
- Amiodarone (Severe)
- Pimozide (Severe)
- Aluminuim Hydroxide/Magnesium Hydroxide (Moderate)
- Digoxin (Moderate)
- Theophylline (Moderate)
Azithral 500 mg Tablet Interaction with Diseases
- QT Prolongation (Severe)
- Liver Disease (Moderate)
- Myasthenia Gravis (Moderate)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Ans: Only if there is a bacterial infection present, Azithral 500 mg Tablet is used for curing sore throat and cold.
Ans: Azithral may be used for treatment of tonsillitis. However, there are more effective antibiotics that can be used instead of Azithral 500 mg Tablet.
Ans: Fever is a symptom that indicates the presence of a latent bacterial, viral or fungi infection in the body. Azithral 500 mg Tablet can only be used to treat bacterial infections. Please consult your doctor before taking antibiotics for fever.
Ans: Azithral 500 mg Tablet is an antibiotic medicine and can be used to treat acne. Clinical reports have shown of effective results in treating acne. Long term antibiotic therapy is required for the treatment of acne, therefore, doctor’s advice is a must.
Ans: Azithral 500 mg Tablet is safe to consume with paracetamol. No clinical reports have shown any drug interactions between the two. However, interactions differ from person to person and may occur.
Ans: Clinical reports have not shown any drug interaction between Azithral 500 mg Tablet and birth control pills (oral contraceptives). But, it is advisable to consult your doctor before taking Azithral if you are on birth control pills.
Ans: No, Azithral 500 mg Tablet is not known to cause drowsiness. If you experience drowsiness, consult your doctor.
Ans: Diarrhoea is a very common side effect of Azithral 500 mg medicine. If your condition worsens, please consult your doctor.
Ans: Throat infection caused due to streptococcus can be treated with Azithral 500 mg Tablet. However, there are alternative medicines available for the same which have proven to be more effective in treating throat infections caused by streptococcus.
Ans: Azithral would be helpful in treating toothaches only if the toothache is being caused due to any bacterial infection.
Ans: No, Azithral 500 mg Tablet is not recommended or advised to cure flu or influenza infection. If you are experiencing symptoms of flu you should consult your doctors as taking an antibiotic will not help in the treatment of flu.
Ans: Yes, Azithral 500 can be used for the treatment of sinus infection. However, it is very much advisable to take antibiotic only after the infection is correctly diagnosed by the doctor.
Ans: Azithral would not help in treatment of yeast infection. Azithral is an antibiotic medicine that works against bacterial infection.
Ans: Azithral 500 mg Tablet is known to show side effects such as vomiting, scaly scalp, sour stomach, heartburn, drowsiness and difficulty in urination. In some cases, patients also experience fever and abdominal pain.
Ans: This tablet is an antibiotic drug used to treat bacterial infections in the body. It is mainly used to treat ear infections, pneumonia, bacterial infections on the skin and soft tissues. This medicine also administered in case of Pharyngitis.
Ans: Azithral 500 is an antibiotic prescribed to succumb to various bacterial infections in the body. It works by stopping the multiplication and growth of bacteria in the body, thereby treating the infection.
Ans: this drug is an antibiotic that should be administered for at least 3 days to fully show the effect on the body.
Ans: Common cold is caused by a viral infection in the body. Administering Azithral 500 mg Tablet will not treat common cold caused by virus infections as it only acts on bacterial infections.
Ans: Although the event of occurrence of an allergic reaction is rare in case of administering Azithral 500, it is a possibility. The various reported allergic side effects on administering Azithral are difficulty while breathing, uneasy sensation while swallowing, swelling, hoarseness, and rashes.
Ans: No. Azithral 500 is an over- the counter medicine and does not exhibit any addictive properties.
Ans: this tablet is an antibiotic used to treat multiple conditions such as respiratory tract infections, typhoid, urine infections etc.