Manufactured by Cipla Inc Ltd, Asthalin belongs to the short-acting beta 2 agonists group of drugs. It is predominantly used in the treatment of asthma and other chronic obstructive pulmonary disorders.
Asthalin Syrup Composition and Nature:
Listed below are the active components (salts) of Asthalin syrup 2mg/5mg:
- Salbutamol – 2 Mg or 5 Mg.
Asthalin Syrup Uses:
Asthalin is primarily prescribed for the treatment of the below mentioned health conditions:
- Acute asthma, a condition characterised by sudden and severe difficulty in breathing.
- Asthma maintenance
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Bronchitis induced inflammation of the walls of the airway which makes breathing difficult.
- Respiratory ailments
- Lung ailments that inhibit airflow and cause difficulties in breathing.
- Chronic respiratory disorders
- Severe allergic reactions
- Prevention of asthma symptoms caused by excess physical activity and other related conditions.
Apart from the ailments listed above, Asthalin may sometimes be prescribed to pregnant women to delay or prevent labour in cases where there is a high possibility of premature birth also known as preterm labour.
Asthalin Syrup Side Effects:
Apart from the intended effects of this medication, continued use of Asthalin may also cause some unpleasant side effects listed below:
- Tightness in chest
- Difficulty in breathing
- Palpitations – racing heartbeat and pulse
- Shortness of breath
- Trembling and shaking arms and legs.
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Muscle weakness and cramps
- Difficulty passing urine
- Swelling of face, hands, feet, lips, eyelids and tongue.
- Restlessness and anxiety
- Difficulty swallowing
- Dry mouth
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Bone degradation
- Increased blood pressure
- Increase in blood glucose levels
- Skin rashes, spots and scars
- Increased risk of infections
- Redistribution or accumulation of body fat.
- Altered bone growth
Please note that the above mentioned side effects are usually rare and not adverse in nature. These side effects may or may not occur in every patient.
On experiencing any of these side effects, even though they are most likely to gradually subside, it is strongly recommended to immediately report the same to a doctor, especially when they persist.
Asthalin Syrup Dosage:
- Always use this medication only in the dose, frequency and duration prescribed by a doctor, which is decided after a careful consideration of your age, gender, weight and any other pre-existing medical conditions.
- Check the label for instructions on directions of use. Shake it well and measure the quantity in a measuring cup before consuming.
- Asthalin is to be taken on an empty stomach.
- It is advisable to keep your doctor informed in case you do not see any visible improvement in your condition after use.
- In case of a missed dose, take it as soon as you remember. In case it is already time for the next dose, it is advisable to skip the missed dose to avoid an overdose.
- In case of an accidental or intentional overdose, it is strongly advised to report to your doctor without any delay, especially on spotting symptoms like chest pain, trembling, increased heart beat, convulsions and fainting.
How Asthalin Works?
The mode of action of Asthalin is explained below:
- It is a bronchodilator which eases breathing by relaxing the muscles in the walls of the small airways (that are swollen) that lead to the lungs, thus improving the amount of air that flows to and from the lungs.
Asthalin Syrup Related Warnings and Precautions:
- This drug is not recommended for use in patients with a history of allergy to Salbutamol or any other components of this drug.
- There isn’t enough evidence to suggest the safety of this drug for pregnant women; hence it should be used only if absolutely necessary and under a doctor’s supervision, so that the resulting benefits and possible risks are weighed.
- This drug is not recommended for nursing mothers as its effects on the breastfeeding infant are not clinically founded. If it is must for the mother to take this medicine, she is likely to be advised by the doctor to stop nursing the child.
- It is vital for the patient to keep the doctor informed of any vitamins, herbal supplements or other medications being taken for any pre-existing or likely health conditions as these may alter the effects of Salbutamol. Hence, your doctor may need to adjust the dose accordingly.
- It is also important to keep the doctor informed if you are expecting, planning pregnancy or have any upcoming surgeries while on this medication to avoid future complications.
- This medicine should be used with caution and only under the strict supervision of a doctor by patients with hypokalemia, thyroid, heart ailments, blood vessels ailments, high BP, severe asthma, diabetes, arrhythmias, kidney and liver ailments or those with a potassium deficiency or allergy to milk proteins.
- Elderly and children should be given this drug with utmost caution as they are at a significantly higher risk of this drug’s side effects.
- It is advisable to avoid driving or operating machines soon after taking this medicine as it may cause drowsiness.
Asthalin Syrup Substitutes:
The below syrups have the same strength, form and composition as Asthalin and can be used as its substitutes:
- Brosol by Lark laboratories Ltd.
- Brethmol by Standard pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Usal by Seagull pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Vanteez by Isis pharmaceuticals
- Gracof Plus by GRAF laboratories Pvt Ltd.
- Ventorlin by GlaxoSmithKline pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Asthalin Syrup Interactions with other drugs:
While drug interactions may vary for each patient, this medicine may cause possible interactions with:
- Castor oil
- Medicine like:
- Anti diabetic medications like Insulin.
1) How soon can I experience the effect of Asthalin Syrup?
Ans: The effects of asthalin Syrup are usually felt within 30 minutes of consumption.
2) How long does the effect of Asthalin Syrup last?
Ans: The effects of Asthalin Syrup usually last for 3-6 hours.
3) Is Asthalin Syrup habit forming?
Ans: No habit forming tendencies have been recorded for this medicine so far.
4) Is Asthalin Syrup safe during pregnancy?
Ans: No. Pregnant women are recommended to avoid using this drug unless it is absolutely unavoidable. However, doctor consultation is important before starting this medicine.
5) Is it okay to use Asthalin Syrup for breastfeeding mothers?
Ans: No! Breastfeeding should be stopped if it is absolutely necessary for the nursing mother to take this medicine.