Manufactured by Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Ascoril Cough Syrup belongs to the class of drugs called ‘ expectorants ’. This medicine is used to treat sinusitis, cough, common cold, congestion, bronchitis, and breathing problems.
|Uses||Wet cough, Chest congestion, Cold, Asthma, Breathing disorders, Sinusitis, and Bronchitis.|
|Composition||Ambroxol, Guaifenesin, Levosalbutamol|
|Side Effects||Drowsiness, Dizziness, Upset stomach, Blurred Vision, Dry Mouth, Constipation, Dry nose and throat|
|Precautions||Pregnancy, Lactation, Liver and kidney-related ailments, Alcohol Consumption|
Ascoril Cough Syrup contains Ambroxol, Guaifenesin and Levosalbutamol as its active ingredients. The medicine works by relaxing the muscles in the airways; thereby reducing the phlegm in the air passage and facilitating mucus clearance.
Uses and Benefits of Ascoril Cough Syrup:
Ascoril Cough Syrup is primarily prescribed for the treatment of airway obstructive diseases. Just some of the many other conditions when Ascoril is prescribed include:
- Breathing problems
- Common cold
Side Effects of Ascoril Cough Syrup:
Some of the common side effects of Ascoril Cough Syrup include:
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Nocturnal enuresis
- Skin rash
- Stomach pain
In case any of these side effects are experienced, the patient must consult a doctor at the earliest to seek appropriate treatment.
Common Dosage of Ascoril Cough Syrup:
Ascoril Cough Syrup must be taken orally in the dosage prescribed by a certified doctor. Typically, the dosage of this medicine is prescribed based on one’s medical condition and age. The usual recommended dose for an adult is between 200 to 400 mg. The medicine must be taken orally in an interval of 4 hours, and the maximum dose must not exceed 2.4 grams daily.
It is important to consume enough fluids during the course of the medicine as it helps break the mucus and clears congestion. If the cough is accompanied with fever, rash, sore throat or a persistent headache, then patients must consult a doctor immediately. Consulting a doctor becomes even more important if there is no improvement in the health condition of the patient.
- Missed Dosage: It makes sense to take the missed dose as soon as it is remembered. However, it is advisable not to take the missed dose if it is already time for the next scheduled dose.
- Over Dosage: Over dosage may show adverse effects and therefore one must refrain from indulging in over dose of this syrup. In the event of the an over dosage of the medicine, it makes sense to rush to a doctor immediately and seek medical attention immediately.
Composition & Nature of Ascoril Cough Syrup:
Ascoril is an expectorant drug that contains Levosalbutamol, Ambroxol and Guaifenesin as its active ingredients. The strength of these ingredients may vary in different variants and strengths of the syrup.
Ascoril Syrup for Baby:
The medicine can be administered to children only if prescribed by a doctor. The patients are advised not to self-medicate their child as it may lead to severe side effects.
Ascoril Syrup for Asthma:
The expectorant syrup is prescribed to alleviate the symptoms associated with asthma. This is because the Ascoril syrup helps to clear the lung airways and reduces chest congestion thereby, helping the patients to breathe easily.
Ascoril Syrup for Dry Cough:
Ascoril syrup is expectorant syrup which works by thinning the mucus present in the airways of the lungs thereby, providing relief from dry cough.
Warnings/Precautions- When to avoid Ascoril Cough Syrup?
Here is a list of a few precautions and warnings that must be taken into consideration when consuming Ascoril Cough Syrup:
- Hypersensitivity – It is not recommended for patients with known allergy to expectorants. Use of this medicine is also not advisable in the patients that have known history of hypersensitivity to Ambroxol, Guaifenesin or Levosalbutamol.
- Kidney Diseases – It shows severe side effects in patients with known history of kidney problems. It should be used with extra care and caution by patients having a known history of kidney related disorders. Appropriate adjustment to the dose and close monitoring of kidney function must be taken into account in such cases.
- Liver Diseases – It shows adverse effects in patients suffering from liver-related disorders. It should be used with extra care and caution by patients having a known history of liver diseases. Appropriate adjustment to the dose and close monitoring of liver function parameters are required in such cases.
- Pregnancy – It shows adverse effects on the foetus. For this reason, the use of this medicine in pregnant women should be avoided unless potential benefits outweigh the risks.
- Breastfeeding – Although no evidence shows secretion of Ascoril Cough Syrup into the breast milk, it is always good to consult a doctor if the patient is breastfeeding.
A few other precautions that should be taken into consideration when using Ascoril Cough Syrup are:
- In case the patient experiences any side effect like difficulty in breathing, swelling in face, tongue or throat, it is advisable to discontinue the medicine and consult a doctor immediately.
- When taken along with alcohol, Ascoril Cough Syrup may cause excessive dizziness and drowsiness. Hence, consumption of alcohol during the course of this medicine is not advisable.
Substitutes of Ascoril Cough Syrup:
Some of the common substitutes of Ascoril Cough Syrup are:
- Alernyl T Syrup
- Asmazed Syrup
- Asthakind Expectorant Sugar Free
- Chupp Syrup
- Coughwar Syrup
- Eledyl SF Expectorant
- Kuff Q Syrup
- Larycof Syrup
- Libitus Plus Syrup
- Oripect Tablet
- Mahaq Tablet
- Pulmo Rest S Tablet
- Rex Tablet
- Supracof Syrup
- Ventex Forte Tablet
Interactions of other drugs with Ascoril Cough Syrup:
Interactions with Drugs:
Mixing two or more medicines may change the efficiency of the drug and may lead to the risk of side-effects. A few drugs that can react with Ascoril Cough Syrup are:
Interaction with Alcohol:
Ascoril Cough Syrup, when taken along with alcohol, may cause excessive dizziness and drowsiness. Hence, it is advisable to discontinue the consumption of alcohol during the course of this medicine.
Ascoril Cough Syrup should not be consumed in case of:
- Pregnancy – It show adverse effects on the foetus and hence, the use of this medicine in pregnant women is not advisable.
- Lactation – Effects of this medicine on the quality and quantity of the breast-milk are unknown. Hence, the use of the medicine should be avoided by the ladies during their lactation period.
- Renal Disease – It shows harsh effects on kidney and hence, it is advisable to use this medicine with extra care and caution in patients with a known history of renal disease.
- Liver Impairment – It has been reported for showing severe side-effects in the patients suffering from liver-related disorders. It is always advisable to consult the doctor for case-specific recommendations.
Consumption of Ascoril Cough Syrup may falsify the results of various urine tests and blood tests. It is important to consult a doctor for case-specific recommendations.
Variants of Ascoril Cough Syrup:
Here is a list of just some of the many variants of Ascoril Cough Syrup:
- Ascoril LS Syrup
- Ascoril Flu Syrup
- Ascoril D Junior Syrup
- Ascoril D Plus Syrup
- Ascoril Flu P Syrup
- Ascoril Ls Junior Syrup
- Ascoril C Syrup
Ascoril Syrup Price in India:
|Variant||Price (in INR)||Quantity|
|Ascoril LS Syrup||94.50||100 ml|
|Ascoril Flu Syrup||75||60 ml|
|Ascoril D Junior Syrup||75||60 ml|
|Ascoril D Plus Syrup||105||100 ml|
|Ascoril Flu P Syrup||75||60 ml|
|Ascoril Ls Junior Syrup||69||60 ml|
|Ascoril C Syrup||121.5||120 ml|
How Ascoril Cough Syrup Works?
Ascoril Cough Syrup is an expectorant drug that contains Ambroxol, Levosalbutamol and Guaifenesin as its active ingredients.
- Ambroxol helps in thinning of the mucus or phlegm to clear the excess mucus through cough.
- Levosalbutamol acts as a bronchodilator to relax the muscles of the airways.
- Guaifenesin also helps in thinning the phlegm to facilitate mucus clearance.
These three ingredients work simultaneously by diffusing the thick mucus. The combination shows anti-inflammatory properties by inhibiting the activation of guanylate cyclase (only known receptor for nitro-oxide)
How to Use Ascoril Cough Syrup?
The medicine must be consumed as prescribed by a certified medical practitioner or as per the directions prescribed on the label of the medicine. It is important not increase or decrease the dosage without consulting the doctor. Absorption of Ascoril Cough Syrup is not influenced by food and therefore, it may be taken with or without food. However, it is advisable to take the medicine at fixed intervals to improve its efficiency in treating the condition.
When is Ascoril Cough Syrup Prescribed?
Ascoril Cough Syrup is a drug that falls under the category of expectorants. It is used to treat the symptoms associated with common cold, wet cough, and chest congestion. Doctors may also prescribe this medicine to provide relief for conditions including asthma, acute sore throat and chronic bronchopulmonary diseases.
Medicines That Should Not be Taken with Ascoril Cough Syrup:
Taking Ascoril Cough Syrup in combination with other over-the-counter medicines, herbal medicines or vitamin supplements may increase the risk of side effects. A few medicines that can interact with Ascoril Cough Syrup are:
How to Store Ascoril Syrup?
It is advisable to store the medicine in a cool and dry place, away from direct heat and sunlight. Also, it is important to keep the medicine away from the reach of children and pets. The packaging of the medicine must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
Ascoril syrup should be taken before or after food?
The syrup can be consumed with or without food as prescribed by the doctor.
Ascoril syrup contraindications:
Ascoril syrup may exhibit negative effects on the patients if it is consumed under the following conditions –
- If a patient is hypersensitive to the components present in the syrup.
- If the patient is pregnant
- If the patients suffer from breathing disorders
- If the patient is a lactating mother
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1) Can Ascoril Cough Syrup be used on a daily basis?
Ans: No, the medicine cannot be used on a daily basis and is prescribed as short-term treatment. One must consult a doctor before taking Ascoril Syrup
2) How does Ascoril Cough Syrup work?
Ans: Ascoril Cough Syrup helps decrease excessive mucus or viscid in the respiratory tract making the phlegm thinner. Next, the mucus becomes thinner in air passages and relaxes as well as open the airway.
3) I missed a dose of Ascoril Cough Syrup. What should I do?
Ans: In case you have missed a dose of Ascoril Cough Syrup then you should take the medicine as soon as you remember and skip the next dose if required. However, ensure that you don’t take double doses to make up for the missed dose.
4) I accidently took a dose of expired medicine. What should I do?
Ans: In case of an overdose of expired medicine then one must consult a doctor at the earliest.
5)What is the maximum number of doses one can take?
Ans: The maximum doses that one can take must be limited to 6. Consult a doctor before taking a dose.
6) Should I take Ascoril Cough Syrup before, with or after a meal?
Ans: The medicine is usually taken after a meal. However, consult a doctor for the exact dose and follow the directions given.
7) Is Ascoril Cough Syrup safe to take during pregnancy?
Ans: Yes, it is safe to take Ascoril Syrup during pregnancy but once the cough subsides one should stop taking this medicine. Consult a doctor before taking Ascoril Syrup.
8) Is Ascoril Cough Syrup safe to take while breastfeeding?
Ans: Yes, it is safe to consume the medicine while breastfeeding but once the cough subsides one should stop taking Ascoril Syrup Consult a doctor before taking this medicine.
9) Is Ascoril Cough Syrup safe for use in infants and children?
Ans: Yes, Ascoril Cough Syrup is safe for use in infants and children. Consult a doctor before taking this medicine.
10) What are some of the side effects of taking Ascoril Cough Syrup?
Ans: Some of the common side effects of taking Ascoril Cough Syrup include restlessness, tiredness, vomiting, increase in heart rate and diarrhoea.
11) Can excessive use of Ascoril Cough Syrup cause toxicity?
Ans: Yes, excessive use of Ascoril Syrup can cause toxicity. For this reason, one must consult a doctor before taking this medicine.
12) How should Ascoril Syrup be stored?
Ans: Ascoril must be stored in:
- Cool and dry place
- Away from sunlight
- Keep away from children and pets
13) What is Ascoril Cough Syrup Composed of?
Ans: The active ingredients present in Ascoril include:
- Terbutaline Sulphate
14) I have asthma. Can I take thisSyrup?
Ans: No, Ascoril Syrup is not recommended for individuals with asthma since it can cause an adverse reaction. Consult a doctor before taking the medicine.
15) Is it safe to operate heavy machinery or drive a vehicle after taking Ascoril Cough Syrup?
Ans: No, Ascoril Syrup may cause drowsiness and hence the patient is not recommended to operate heavy machinery or drive a vehicle after consuming the medicine.
16) How long does it take for Ascoril Syrup to work?
Ans: It varies from patient to patient. However, patients usually experience relief within one to three days. The duration of the course should be determined post- consulting a doctor.
17) Can one take Ascoril on an empty stomach?
Ans: Absorption of Ascoril Cough syrup is not influenced by food and hence, it can be taken with or without food. However, it is known to be more effective when it is taken right after the stomach is full.
18) Can I take Ascoril Syrup in cold and flu?
Ans: Yes, Ascoril Syrup can be taken to cure common cold and flu . It is an expectorant that relieves the symptoms like and chest congestion and stuffy nose by promoting mucus clearance. However, consult a doctor before consuming one.
19) Can I get this Syrup without a prescription?
Ans: Yes, you may get Ascoril Syrup from a medical store without any prescription. However, it is recommended to always consult a medical supervisor before taking the medicine.
20) Does the dosage of Ascoril Cough Syrup vary from patient to patient?
Ans: Yes, the dosage of Ascoril Cough Syrup varies from patient to patient. A few factors that decide the dosage are:
- Severity of the ailment
- Age of the patient
- Combination with other medicines
- BMI of the patient
- Other health concerns like liver diseases, renal impairment, pregnancy, etc.