Arjunarishta syrup is an ayurvedic herbal formulation used to treat asthma, chest pain, cardiac problems, and mitral regurgitation (a backflow of blood caused by the failure of the heart’s mitral valve to close tightly). The syrup is natural preparation that helps to maintain healthy heart functioning and optimum levels of blood pressure.
|Composition||Terminalia Arjuna (Arjuna Bark)|
|Uses||Chest pain, cardiac problems, asthma, mitral regurgitation, chronic respiratory diseases.|
|Side Effects||No side effects|
|Precautions||Diabetic patients and pregnant and lactating females should avoid using this herbal syrup.|
Arjunarishta syrup is manufactured in India by Dabur India Ltd., Baidyanath Group, Divya Ayurveda Pharmacy, Zandu, etc.
Uses and Benefits of Arjunarishta:
Arjunarishta syrup is useful in treating the following health condition to promote better functioning of all organ systems of the body:
- Maintain Blood Pressure : Arjunarishta syrup acts as a natural antihypertensive agent which is particularly useful in lowering the systolic blood pressure readings. It is also used to treat hypotension and strengthen heart function to improve cardiovascular endurance. This brings the blood pressure to a stable level and maintains balanced readings.
- Myocardial Infarction : Lack of blood supply to the heart gives rise to a health condition called myocardial infarction. The Arjunarishta syrup acts as a heart tonic. It helps to improve the heart’s efficiency in supplying the blood to all parts of the body. Acting as a strong antioxidant, the syrup also protects against any form of damage which increases the risk of heart attack.
- Stroke : Using Arjunarishta syrup regularly ensures proper blood supply to the brain. This prevents stroke, sudden weakness and also paralysis in one part of the body. It also prevents confusion, vertigo, headache, visual disturbance, slurring of speech, and altered consciousness.
- Arrhythmias : The condition involves improper heart beats whether irregular, too fast or too slow. Arjunarishta can be extremely useful in preventing tachycardia and bradycardia which regularises the heart rhythm and heart rate. It enhances the functions of the SA node in the heart, thereby normalising the heartbeat.
- Valvular heart diseases : This condition happens due to damage to the heart valves as a result of exposure to toxins or an excessive back pressure caused by the disturbed flow of the blood through the heart. Arjunarishta syrup prevents in malfunctioning of the heart valve by strengthening the left ventricular muscles and protecting the valves against toxic damage.
- Chronic respiratory diseases : Arjunarishta syrup can be extremely useful in curing chronic respiratory diseases which are asthma, COPD and chronic bronchitis. The syrup strengthens the lung tissues. It also improves the lung capacity. It also produces anti-allergic action which leads to a reduction in asthma attacks. The syrup works to protect the lung tissues from the damage caused by cigarette smoke, free radicals, dust, and other ecological toxins.
- Chest injury and pain : Also known as chest trauma, this is a condition of any form of physical injury to the chest including the ribs, heart, and lungs. Arjunarishta syrup helps in curing chest injury-related trauma along with easing chest pain while running, climbing up the stairs, or cycling.
- Weakness and fatigue : Arjunarishta syrup contains ingredients which boost the patient’s immunity and strengthens the muscles and joints. This allows for overall improvement in the mobility of the patient and thus eliminates weakness and feeling of tiredness.
- Cough and throat related diseases : Arjunarishta syrup actively eliminates the mucous build-up along with other toxins and free radicals leading to cough and throat related diseases. The syrup eases breathing and swallowing by soothing the wind pipe and swelling in the throat which may arise due to mucous deposits.
- Healthy Heart Functioning : Arjunarishta syrup is extensively used as an herbal cardiac tonic for maintaining healthy heart functioning.
- Maintaining Intestine Health : The syrup is also recommended for improving the function of the intestines by facilitating the cleansing to enhance overall health.
- Cholesterol Level Balance : The doctors also prescribe this syrup for the treatment of high total cholesterol and high LDL.
- Improves Fertility : Arjunarishta syrup enhances sperm production and also promotes improvement in sperm quality.
Side Effects of Arjunarishta:
There are no major side effects reported with the use of Arjunarishta syrup as it consists of natural ingredients which promote good health.
However, in case the syrup is taken in excess dose over a prolonged period of time, it is likely to cause loose stools in some people.
Common Dosage of Arjunarishta:
The common dose of Arjunarishta syrup is advised by the doctor based on the patient’s health condition, ongoing medicines, age, weight, and medical history.
The generally prescribed dose of Arjunarishta syrup is 12-24 ml. once or twice a day. It is best to take the syrup after a meal and if needed the same can be consumed by mixing in an equal quantity of water.
Composition & Nature of Arjunarishta:
The Arjunarishta syrup is an ayurvedic herbal syrup with medicinal properties.
It consists of the following key natural ingredients:
- Arjuna Tvak – Terminalia Arjuna – Stem bark – 4.8 kg : The bark of the Arjun tree has been extensively used for its medicinal properties as it contains a large variety of bioactive constituents. Arjuna Tvak is especially useful in maintaining optimum cardiovascular health.
- Mrudvika – Dry grapes – Fruit – 2.4 kg : Dry grapes are known to help relieve constipation, hypertension, fluctuating blood sugar levels, anaemia, fever, acidosis, etc. Mrudvika also promotes healthy weight gain and prevent the growth of free radicals thus slowing down the development of cancer cells.
- Madhuka – Madhuca Indica – Flower – 960 g : Also known as butter tree, Madhuka is a nutritious source for maintaining healthy functioning of the human organ system. Madhuca Indica is known to prevent excessive bleeding or secretion of tannin. The flower of the tree is useful in removing catarrhal matter as well as phlegm from the bronchial tubes. The same is known to soothe the skin and work positively on the mucous membrane.
- Dhataki – Woodfodia Fruticosa – Flower – 960 g : It is a very beneficial herb for curing a range of diseases like diarrhea, piles, and dysentery due to its powerful astringent qualities. The flowers and roots of this herb are used for treating rheumatism, lumbar and rib fractures, and foot and mouth diseases.
- Guda – Jaggery – 4.8 kg : Known to be a powerful health booster, Guda helps in boosting immunity, prevents constipation, joint pain, anaemia etc. It also eases menstrual cramps and promotes healthy blood pressure and heart functioning.
How Arjunarishta Works?
Arjunarishta syrup works by strengthening the heart muscles and preventing oxidative stress induced by free radicals. The ayurvedic herbal syrup reduces bad cholesterol and triglycerides levels and boosts antioxidants in the body to promote immunity.
The active phytochemicals and physiological properties present in Arjunarishta help treat cardiovascular diseases. The natural ingredients present in Arjunarishta syrup help in maintaining healthy digestion and intestine health along with promoting blood flow to the brain and heart, thus contributing to healthy brain functioning.
How to Use Arjunarishta?
Arjunarishta syrup is herbal ayurvedic syrup that is prescribed by the doctor to be taken after meals with lukewarm water twice a day.
The syrup minimizes abnormal heartbeat, blood pressure and improves cardiovascular endurance. For curing blood pressure fluctuations, Arjunarishta syrup should be consumed with milk twice a day.
When Arjunarishta is prescribed?
Arjunarishta syrup is prescribed for curing heart-related problems like Ischemic Cardiomyopathy, heart attacks, Mitral Regurgitation, cardiac arrhythmia and checks low and high blood pressure. The syrup is useful in easing breathing-related problems, curing asthma, promoting healthier recovery from chronic respiratory diseases, etc.
Precautions and Warnings – When to avoid Arjunarishta?
The following precautions should be observed while administering Arjunarishta syrup:
- The syrup should be taken only after consulting the doctor.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: pregnant females and breastfeeding mothers are recommended to consult a doctor before taking this ayurvedic syrup. If prescribed, the syrup must be used as per the doctor’s prescription as Arjunarishta syrup may cause side effects on the foetus as well as the nursing infant.
- Driving and operating heavy machinery is advised against during the course of Arjunarishta syrup. This is because this syrup may cause dizziness and blurred vision in some cases and thus impact the mental alertness of the patient.
- Alcohol: it is important not to administer alcohol with this herbal syrup as it consists of 6-12% of self-generated alcohol due to the combination of its ingredients. Hence it is highly advised not to consume the same with water or milk.
- Allergy: one should not consume Arjunarishta syrup if one is allergic to any or all of its ingredients.
It is highly suggested that a doctor should be consulted before administering the treatment of Arjunarishta syrup to prevent any adverse reactions.
Arjunarishta Interactions with Other Drugs:
Interaction with Diseases
Before administering Arjunarishta syrup, patients suffering from the following health conditions should consult the doctor and take expert advice:
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Patients suffering from kidney and liver-related ailments
- Patients with the diabetic condition
- Children below five years of age
- People with lung tumours
- Those suffering from severe head injuries
- People diagnosed with certain psychiatric disorders
How to Store Arjunarishta Syrup?
In order to maintain the efficacy of the ayurvedic syrup, it is advisable to follow the given storage instructions:
- The syrup should be stored in its original glass bottle in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and moisture.
- It should remain out of reach for children and pets.
- The packaging of the ayurvedic syrup must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
1) What is the Arjunarishta Syrup used to treat?
Ans: Arjunarishta Syrup is used to treat the following health conditions:
- Cardiac-related ailments
- Fertility problems
- Cancer-related symptoms
2) What are the side effects of Arjunarishta Syrup?
Ans: The following side effects are caused by Arjunarishta Syrup.
- Vomiting or nausea
- High blood pressure
- Low blood sugar level
- Burning sensation
- Acid reflux
3) Can Arjunarishta be consumed before or after meals?
Ans: It is advisable to consume Arjunarishta Syrup after meals with lukewarm water, twice a day.
4) What special precautions must be observed during the administration of Arjunarishta?
Ans: The consumption of Arjunarishta Syrup should be monitored by the doctor. It is advised to be avoided by diabetic patients, pregnant and lactating women.
5) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery during the administration of Arjunarishta Syrup?
Ans: No. In case symptoms like dizziness, drowsiness, hypotension, or headache are observed post-consumption of Arjunarishta syrup, it is necessary to consult the doctor and avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
6) What are the key ingredients used in Arjunarishta?
Ans: Following are the ingredients used to make Arjunarishta –
- Arjuna Tvak – Terminalia Arjuna – Stem bark – 4.8 kg
- Mrudvika – Dry grapes – Fruit – 2.4 kg
- Madhuka – Madhuca Indica – Flower – 960 g
- Dhataki – Woodfodia Fruticosa – Flower – 960 g
- Guda – Jaggery – 4.8 kg
7) Is Arjunarishta safe to be consumed by pregnant and breastfeeding women?
Ans: Arjunarishta should be avoided by pregnant and lactating females as it may have adverse effects on the foetus or the newborn baby.
8) Does Arjunarishta cause dizziness?
Ans: Yes, consumption of Arjunarishta Syrupover a long period of time can cause drowsiness, dizziness, hypotension, or headache. The effects of the syrup depend to a great extent on the person’s health condition.
9) How long should Arjunarishta Syrup be used before improvement in the health condition is observed?
Ans: The Arjunarishta Syrup should be taken for about four-six weeks. After this, you can experience its effects as an herbal heart tonic.
10) What are the medicinal traits of Arjunarishta Syrup?
Ans: The following are the medicinal traits of this Syrup:
- Strong Antioxidant
- Antianginal (stable angina pectoris)
11) What are the therapeutic indications of Arjunarishta?
Ans: Arjunarishta Syrup helps in the following heart conditions:
- Cardiac Arrhythmia
- High and low blood pressure
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Mitral Regurgitation
- Myocardial infarction
- Stable Angina Pectoris
- Ischemic Cardiomyopathy
12) What are the storage instructions for effectively using Arjunarishta?
Ans: The following storage instructions should be considered in order to ensure the efficacy of the Arjunarishta Syrup remains intact:
- It is advisable to store the Arjunarishta Syrup in a cool and dry place away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Keep Arjunarishta away from the reach of children and pets.
- The packaging of the Arjunarishta Syrup must be kept intact in order to maintain its effect when being administered.
13) Is this syrup addictive by nature?
Ans: No, Arjunarishta syrup is not addictive by nature. Medicines that are addictive by nature are categorized under category X and H in India. It is recommended to always read the label before administering Arjunarishta.
14) What should one do in case an overdose of Arjunarishta Syrup is consumed?
Ans: If Arjunarishta Syrup is consumed in an excessive amount, it is necessary to consult the doctor immediately to prevent any possible side effects. The prescribed dose for Arjunarishta is two-four teaspoons (approximately 20ml) combined with water twice a day. Depending on the condition of the patient, the doctor may prescribe a different dose.