Arg 9 granules are a mixture of biologically active and important nutrients that are taken during pregnancy and generally for cardiac well-being. It contains nutritional supplements of arginine and proanthocyanidin as granules which should be taken orally in the dosage prescribed by a registered medical practitioner.
|Composition||L-Arginine and Proanthocyanidins|
|Uses||High Blood Pressure during Pregnancy, Male Infertility, Chest Pain, Congestive Heart Failure, Boosts Immune System, Coronary Artery Disease, Sexual dysfunction, Urinary Tract Infections, and Decreased Mental Capacity in Elder people.|
|Side-effects||Low Blood Pressure, Gout, Blood abnormalities, Asthma, Abdominal|
Pain, Allergies, Bloating, and Indigestion, and Diarrhea.
|Precautions||Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women|
Uses & Benefits of Arg 9:
Arg 9 granules are prescribed during pregnancy for the following benefits:
- To prevent early trimester miscarriages
- To increase placental circulation
- To assist the growth of the baby in utero
- To reduce high blood pressure during pregnancy
- To prevent birth defects
- To prevent anaemia in mother and child
Arg 9 granules are also used by people of all ages and gender for the following purposes:
- To improve athletic performance in sportspersons
- To boost the immune system and help the body to fight infections
- As an adjunct to antihypertensive therapy to bring down blood pressure in severe hypertension
- As an adjunct to routine therapeutic medications in coronary artery disease
- As an adjunct to various medications in patients with congestive heart failure
- To improve male fertility
- To prevent erectile dysfunction
- To relieve chronic pain
- To relieve pain in lower limbs due to reduced blood flow and blocked arterial supply
- To improve memory
- To improve mental capacity in elderly
- To help with relief from common cold
- In transplant patients, to improve renal functions
- As an adjunct to various medications in urinary tract infections
- To generally improve cardiovascular health
Side Effects of Arg 9:
Since Arg 9 is only a concentrated preparation of naturally occurring substances, it is generally tolerated well by individuals. As different individuals react differently to the active ingredients, rare side effects may occur as follows:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal bloating
- Low blood pressure or hypotension
- Blood abnormalities
- Worsening of asthma
The list is not inclusive of all possible side-effects of Arg 9 granules. In the presence of any unexplained symptom or when side effects are out of proportion, the patient should immediately consult a registered medical practitioner without further delay.
In certain individuals very severe allergic or anaphylactic reactions may occur as follows:
- Sudden severe skin rashes
- Swelling of lips, face and vocal cords
- Difficulty in breathing and dyspnoea with tachypnoea
- Sudden severe diarrhoea
- Sudden severe vomiting
- Loss of consciousness
In such cases, the consultation of an emergency physician is mandatory and the patient should be rushed to the nearest hospital facility for treatment of anaphylaxis.
Absolute contraindications for the use of Arg 9 Granules are:
- The recent history of heart attack
- Allergic or anaphylactic reactions
- Hypersensitivity reactions.
Common Dosage of Arg 9:
Arg 9 granules should be taken as directed in the prescription of a registered medical practitioner. The required dose is usually mixed in a glass of water and taken as a suspension. Usually, once a day administration on empty stomach is done. It is preferable not to take more or less than the dose recommended by the physician. The dose suggested depends on the health condition of the patient, age and gender, associated clinical conditions, adverse effects on the components of the preparation, etc.
Composition and Nature of Arg 9:
Arg 9 preparation contains the amino acid L- Arginine and the polyphenol compound proanthocyanidin. The composition of Arg 9 is 3 g of L-arginine and 75mg of Proanthocyanidin. Arginine is an alpha-amino acid which is a semi-essential amino acid useful in the biosynthesis of proteins. It is the main precursor from which nitric oxide is biosynthesized in the body. Proanthocyanidin is a polyphenol belonging to the class of oligomeric plant flavonoids. Both arginine and proanthocyanidin are present in various plants and plant products.
How Arg 9 Granules works?
Mechanism of Action of L-Arginine
Arginine is the precursor from which the vasodilator nitric oxide is synthesized in the body. L-arginine in Arg 9 granules thus helps to boost the production of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is essential for cardiovascular well-being. It relaxes the blood vessels and causes vasodilatation thereby increasing the blood flow to vital organs. This relieves pain in the angina pectoris. Once blood flow is restored and there is an active movement of blood through the blood vessels, then there is no risk of the formation of clots or thrombi in the vessels, because plaques and thrombi develop only in areas of poor vascular circulation.
L-arginine also acts as an intermediate in the urea cycle and helps in the detoxification of nitrogenous wastes.
L-arginine also promotes cardiovascular health by lowering low-density lipoproteins.
It plays a major role in the regulation of blood pressure.
L-arginine plays a pivotal role in wound healing, cell division, building immunity, removing ammonia from the body, and the release of hormones such as insulin and growth hormone.
Mechanism of Action of Proanthocyanidin
Both alpha and beta Proanthocyanidins act by inhibiting the growth of bacteria and help prevent urinary tract infections.
Proanthocyanidins are also used to improve cardiovascular health and their role in reducing symptoms of coronary artery disease is being evaluated. Several studies supporting the use of proanthocyanidins in chronic disorders are being undertaken.
Precautions and Warning – When to avoid it?
- Arg 9 granules are best avoided in patients with documented allergy to any component of the oral preparation.
- Alcohol alters the absorption of the active ingredients in Arg 9 and hence it is best avoided until treatment is over.
- The use of Arg 9 granules in children has not been validated yet and hence it is best avoided in children until further studies support its efficacy and safety in paediatric age group.
- Patients with compromised hepatic or renal functions are advised not to take the drug without consulting a registered medical practitioner. Dose adjustment may be necessary in such cases.
Many drugs are known to interact with Arg 9 granules and hence discretion should be exercised when concomitant prescriptions are essential. The drugs that are known to react adversely in combination with Arg 9 granules are
- Ethinyl estradiol
The doctor should be consulted for advice regarding the use of regular medications along with arg 9 granules.
Substitutes for Arg 9: