Ambrodil S Syrup is a mucolytic agent, manufactured by Aristo Pharmaceuticals Private Limited. It is used in the treatment of cough and chronic respiratory diseases.
Ambrodil-S is an expectorant, which helps in mucus degradation and clearing of the throat and lungs. Ambrodil S forms are syrups, inhalation formula, dry powder sachets, pastilles, drops, and effervescent tablets. It is a prescription drug for the treatment of acute and chronic bronchopulmonary diseases. Ambrodil-S Syrup is the most used form.
Composition and Nature of Ambrodil S Syrup:
The composition of Ambrodil S includes mucolytic and anti-inflammatory agents. Every 5 ml of this syrup contains the following two active ingredients.
- Ambroxol-15 mg
This salt breaks down phlegm and promotes mucous removal.
- Salbutamol-1 mg
Salbutamol dilates airways and promotes easier breathing.
Uses and Benifits of Ambrodil S Syrup:
Ambrodil S is an effective expectorant and provides relief in respiratory diseases due to thick mucus secretion. It treats and manages the following diseases and symptoms.
- It mitigates abnormal mucus secretion associated with acute and chronic bronchopulmonary diseases.
- Ambrodil-S Syrup prescription is given for acute pharyngitis or sore throat.
- Acute and chronic cough symptoms can be treated by this medicine.
- Ambrodil-S Syrup helps in the relaxation of airways and can provide relief in Asthma.
- In case of respiratory diseases that involve thick cough deposits in the lungs and respiratory tract, this syrup is prescribed.
Side Effects of Ambrodil S Syrup:
Ambrodil S side effects may be reported in some patients. They may not occur always but in case of any unwanted symptoms, health care provider should be informed immediately.
- Its use may cause gastrointestinal disturbances like diarrhea, constipation and indigestion and heartburn.
- Side effects like nausea, vomiting, dizziness and headache may also follow.
- Sensitive individuals may experience allergic manifestations.
- Tremors of fine skeletal muscle may occur, especially in hands.
- Cardiac effects can include palpitations and tachycardia. It may lead to serious complication if not attended early.
- Angioedema and hives can be seen in sensitive individuals.
- Worsening of coughing and wheezing (paradoxical bronchospasm) can be caused by Ambrodil S administration.
- Serious hypotension may lead to collapse.
- Excess usage may rarely lead to hypokalemia.
Common Dosage of Ambrodil S Syrup:
Ambrodil-S dosage is dependent on the form and the extent of the problem. The doctor may prescribe different doses according to the patient’s problem.
Usual Ambrodil S Syrup dosage is 30-120 mg per day in 3-4 divided doses for adults in case of acute bronchospasm through oral route.
2-3 ml, 3-4 times per day for babies (1 month -2 years), 5-10 ml, 3-4 times per day for children aged 2-6 years; 10 ml, 3-4 times per day for children above 6 years.
It modified-release tablets, this medicine inhalation formula and Ambrodil S suspension are administered as doctor’s prescription and the dosage varies for each condition.
How Ambrodil S Syrup Works?
It is an effective expectorant. Ambrodil-S ingredients promote the breakdown of mucous adhesions and promote airway clearance. It also promotes healing by its antioxidant and mild anesthetic properties.
- Salbutamol is an anti-asthmatic agent. It is a bronchodilator and provides relief in obstructive respiratory diseases. It activates the Adenyl Cyclase enzyme, which results in greater cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate). Increased cAMP levels activate protein kinase A which hinders myosin phosphorylation and lowers ionic Ca in cells. This allows smooth muscle relaxation in the throat, bronchioles and lungs.
- Ambroxol is a mucolytic agent. It restricts the Nitric Oxide-dependent activation of enzyme Guanylate Cyclase. This lowers the mucosal viscosity and thins it out. As a result, coughing draws out the phlegm.
Warnings and Precautions – When to Avoid Ambrodil S Syrup?
Before the ensuing Ambrodil S treatment, the doctor should be informed about any underlying medical condition and ongoing treatments. It is also advisable to disclose any health supplements being taken by the patient, to avoid any serious complications. Doctor’s direction should be strictly followed.
- This medicine efficacy may be affected when taken with alcohol. It may also lead to pronounced side effects. Doctor’s advice should be taken if the patient is alcohol dependent.
- Pregnant women should consult a doctor before Ambrodil S treatment. Animal studies suggest that it has adverse effects on the fetus.
- Lactating women should consult a doctor for risk evaluation on this drugs usage.
- Driving is not recommended during the period of Ambrodil S course. Side effects like dizziness, muscle cramps and tremors may affect driving capability in the patient.
- Dose adjustment and risk evaluation might be required in patients with kidney diseases and hyperthyroidism.
- Patients with liver disease should use Ambrodil S with caution as liver disease symptoms may worsen.
- Ambrodil S contraindications include hypertensive ischemic heart disease, Stevens-Johnson disease, Antepartum hemorrhage, eclampsia, placenta praevia and hypersensitivity to Ambrodil S ingredients.
Substitutes of Ambrodil S Syrup:
These medicines come in similar strengths and compositions as Ambrodil S.
- Salbutamol A 15 mg/1mg Syrup by Brawn Laboratories Limited.
- Salhexin Paed Syrup from Duckbill Drugs Private Limited.
- Siokof AS Syrup from Albert David Limited.
- Brovent Syrup manufactured by Olcare Laboratories.
- Salphylin Syrup from Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Limited.
Ambrodil S Syrup Interactions with Other Drugs:
Ambrodil S interactions with specific drugs and compounds may lead to lowered efficacy and worsened side effects. Hence doctor’s discretion should be sought before taking any other drug during the course of treatment. Interactions have been reported with the following drugs.
- Antibiotics like azithromycin.
- Anti-depressants and CNS stimulants like Amitriptyline and Amphetamine respectively.
- Beta blockers like Betaxolol, Carteolol, Carvedilol, Nadolol and Timolol.
- Diuretic drugs like Hydrochlorothiazide.
- Ovulatory drugs.
- Other bronchodilators.
- Alpha 2 adrenergic antagonists like Methyldopa.
Ans: Drugs come classified under schedule H or X in India, which determines whether they are addictive or not. Refer to the package information for details. Indiscriminate use should be avoided.
Ans: If the patient misses a dose, the medicine should be taken as soon as remembered. But if it is already time for the next dose, then the double dosage should not be taken to compensate for the missed dose.
Ans: It should be taken as per the doctor’s prescription. If you experience gastrointestinal side effects, it is best to take this medicine with food.
Ans: Ambrodil-S inhaler should be stored away from light and in temperatures within 15-30 degrees Celsius. Always keep the inhaler in an upright position and replace the cap after every use.
Ans: Duration of treatment is decided by the doctor, depending upon the intensity of your problem. Most patients report improvement in symptoms after taking this syrup for one week.