Akt-4 Kit is an antibacterial medicine which is prescribed for the treatment and prevention of tuberculosis. The drug may also be prescribed in combination with other drugs to increase its efficacy. Akt-4 Kit is manufactured by Lupin Pharma, India.
Uses and Benefits of Akt-4 Kit:
Akt-4 Kit may be used for treating, controlling, preventing and eradicating the following diseases, conditions or symptoms-
- Bacterial infection of membranes covering the brain
- Bacterial infection of membranes covering the spinal cord
- Bacterial infection of membranes covering the brain
Side Effects of Akt-4 Kit:
Continuous consumption of the medicine may lead to certain side-effects. Some of the side effects associated with the consumption of Akt-4 Kit are:
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the joints
- Abdominal discomfort
- Itching of the skin
- Rashes on the skin
- Loss of appetite
- Liver problems
- Rifampin may produce orange or brownish-red coloration of the urine
Composition and Nature of Akt-4 Kit:
Akt-4 Kit is an antibacterial medicine which is composed of four active ingredients namely, Pyrazinamide (750 MG), Isoniazid (300 MG), Rifampicin (450 MG) and Ethambutol (800 MG).
- Pyrazinamide – The medicine works against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It interferes with the bacterium’s ability to synthesise new fatty acids which are required for the growth and replication of the bacteria.
- Rifampicin – It is a semisynthetic antibiotic produced from the bacterium Streptomyces mediterranei. The medicine subdues the initiation of RNA synthesis in the bacteria.
- Isoniazid – It is a bacterial agent which is very specific against the bacteria of the genus Mycobacterium. These bacteria are responsible for causing tuberculosis. Isoniazid is bactericidal to rapidly dividing bacteria but is bacteriostatic if the mycobacterium is slow growing.
- Ethambutol – It is an anti-tubercular agent which inhibits the bacterial cell wall synthesis, thereby killing the bacteria.
When Akt-4 Kit is prescribed?
The medicine is usually prescribed for the treatment of Tuberculosis.
How to use Akt-4 Kit?
Akt-4 Kit must be properly consumed in the following manner:
- The medicine must be taken as directed by the doctor.
- Akt-4 Kit must be consumed empty stomach.
- Food items which are rich in tyramine must be avoided.
How Akt-4 Kit works?
Akt-4 Kit is a prodrug that is metabolized in the body after being administered. Once the prodrug becomes activated it inhibits the synthesis of mycolic acids. Mycolic acids are fatty acids specifically found in the cell walls of the taxon Mycolata which includes Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the causative agent of tuberculosis.
Mechanism of action of different components –
- Pyrazinamide – Akt-4 Kit diffuses into the Mycobacterium tuberculosis, where the pyrazinamidase enzyme converts it into its active form pyrazinoic acid. This acid inhibits the synthesis of fatty acids. The acid has also been shown to bind to the ribosomal protein S1 and inhibits the RNA synthesis.
- Rifampicin – Akt-4 Kit is an inhibitor of DNA-dependent RNA polymerase, which leads to suppression of RNA synthesis and eventually death of the bacterial cell.
- Isoniazid – It is a prodrug that is activated by the bacterial catalase. Once activated the medicine inhibits the synthesis of myoclonic acids, which are one of the most important components of bacterial cell wall.
- Ethambutol – Ethambutol inhibits the enzyme involved in the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall.
Substitutes for Akt-4 Kit:
The following drugs are can be used as a substitute for Akt-4 Kit:
- Forecox Kit manufactured by Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Rf 4 Kit manufactured by Sunij Pharma Pvt Ltd
- Anticox 4 Kit manufactured by Unichem Laboratories Ltd
- Afb 4 Kit manufactured by Lark Laboratories Ltd
- Cavicin E KIT manufactured by Wockhardt Ltd
- 4D Kit manufactured by Novartis India Ltd
Warnings/Precautions- When to avoid Akt-4 Kit?
Following points must be kept in mind while consuming Akt-4 Kit –
- The doctor must be informed about the on-going medications and any herbal product the patient has been taking.
- Patients must also inform the doctor if they are allergic to any of the components present in the medicine.
- The medicine must be consumed in the manner prescribed by the doctor.
- Patients taking Akt-4 Kit must avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Any other medicine must not be taken without consulting a doctor.
- Patients having a cataract, inflammation in the eye, inflammation of nerve fibres or diabetic retinopathy may strictly consult the doctor before consuming the medicine.
- Medicine must not be taken in more than the prescribed amounts.
- The medicine must not be given to children below the age of 13 years.
- No immunizations must be administered while consuming Akt-4 Kit.
- The medicine must be cautiously given to the elderly.
- Blood sugar levels need to be monitored in diabetic patients consuming the medicine.
- If a patient is suffering from gout or liver disease, it must be informed to the doctor. Failing to do so may cause severe drug-disease interactions.
- Regular monitoring of blood sugar levels, uric acid, liver function, and kidney function is required in patients consuming Akt-4 Kit.
- The medicine may require the patients to get a monthly eye check-up.
Akt-4 Kit Interactions:
Interactions with drugs –
Akt-4 Kit may interact with the following medicines –
- Aluminium Hydroxide
How to Store Akt-4 Kit?
- Keep the medicine at room temperature
- Do not keep the medicine under direct heat or sunlight.
- Do not freeze the medicine unless mentioned on the package insert.
- Keep it away from the reach of pets and children.
- Do not flush the medicine down the toilet or pour it into the sink for disposal.
1) What is Akt-4 Kit?
Ans: Akt-4 Kit is a combination of four different medicines namely Rifampin, Isoniazid, Ethambutol and Pyrazinamide. The medicine performs by restricting the growth of bacteria that leads to tuberculosis.
2) Can Akt-4 Kit be used for treating tuberculosis and bacterial infection of the membranes covering the spinal column?
Ans: Yes, Akt-4 Kit is very effective in treating tuberculosis and bacterial infection of the membranes covering the spinal cord. It is always advisable to get a doctor prescription before taking Akt-4 Kit.
3) What is Akt-4 Kit used for?
Ans: Akt-4 Kit is usually prescribed for the treatment of Tuberculosis, an infectious disease that affects the lungs. Apart from this, Akt-4 Kit may also be used for the treatment of various medical conditions like phthisis, contagious disease of nerves and skin, a bacterial infection of membranes covering the brain etc.
4) What are the possible side effects of taking Akt-4 Kit?
Ans: Some of the side effects associated with taking Akt-4 Kit include abdominal discomfort, itching of the skin, vomiting, loss of appetite, rashes on the skin, constipation etc.
5) Is Akt-4 Kit safe for pregnant women?
Ans: Akt-4 Kit may not be safe for pregnant women as some of its components are harmful to the health of the developing foetus. Patients must take the medicine only after consulting a doctor.
6) Is Akt-4 Kit safe while breastfeeding?
Ans: Akt-4 Kit may probably be considered safe for the lactating mothers.
7) How long does a patient need to use Akt-4 Kit before seeing results?
Ans: The patients may see good results in approximately 3 months of consuming Akt-4 Kit. However, every patient’s condition is different and the medicine may respond differently.
8) At what frequency do I need to administer Akt-4 Kit?
Ans: Depending upon the health condition of a patient the doctor may prescribe a different dosage plan. A patient may be prescribed a single dose or 3 tablets be taken every day.
9) Is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery while administering Akt-4 Kit?
Ans: It may not be safe to drive or operate heavy machinery in case the patient experiences a headache, dizziness or hypertension as a side effect post administering Akt-4 Kit.
10) Should Akt-4 Kit be taken empty stomach or after food?
Ans: Usually Akt-4 Kit must be taken empty stomach every day. Taking the medicine empty stomach ensures that it does not interacts with other food items.
11) What happens if a person misses a dose of Akt-4 Kit?
Ans: In case a dose is skipped, patients must take it as soon they remember about it. However, if it is already the time for the next dose, it is better to skip the last dose. Taking two doses at very short intervals may lead to severe side effects. If a person regularly forgets to take the medicine on time, an alarm can be set as a reminder.
12) What happens if I take an overdose of Akt-4 Kit?
Ans: Taking more than the prescribed dose of Akt-4 Kit may do more harm than good to the body. More concentration of medicine in the body may lead to drug toxicity and aggravate the side effects. In case a patient notices some of the side effects, the doctor must be consulted without a delay.